IGNORED

Fundyisms: Earth is flat and how old?

CyborgKin

I needed the rescue ferrets DAYS ago!   I am now sucked into another flat earth FB page.... someone seriously needs to come and give me something useful to do!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what do you think Noah used as birth control? he had very few children for a virile man of his age

this is the message board that I love to fuck with  people on. There are a few rational, intelligent people there...but we're a minority

9 minutes ago, notsocommon said:

I needed the rescue ferrets DAYS ago!   I am now sucked into another flat earth FB page.... someone seriously needs to come and give me something useful to do!

You can come do my computer lab sims for me

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I've always assumed that the "six days of creation" can accomodate the dinosaurs, the whole evolution thing, and even the big bang. (Surely when God spoke, "let there be light" there was a big bang!!) 

What is a day to God? Whatever God says it is!

No, that doesn't work, because god moved over the waters, and befre the big bang there was no universe, including molecules which could combine to make water, and enough spacetime for someone to mive in.

512893d7ba105e900e024384348c2472.jpg

Just found a Meme including the word "Flerfer". I love that word, it´s just so perfect tinfoil-y.

26 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

They really should run with "Flerfers." The term really carries a sense of academic gravitas.

If gravity is a hoax, why are things pulled toward earth? Why aren't we just floating around? 

And I don't understand how Flerferism would be taken up by Fundies. I get the Biblical reasoning behind Creationism and Geocentrism, but I can't think of anything in the Old Testament that suggests the earth is flat. 

Gravity was invented by Sir Isaac Newton. Before that, we all could fly :tw_bird:.

IamNazarene said: ↑

What are your thoughts on the biblical explanation of the flat earth?

The earth is 99.9% flat. Most our maps are flat.
We currently refer to "sunrise and sunset" which
shows that scientists at Nasa today think the
sun is orbiting earth. Or it's possible that language
and illustrations are useful first, accurate second.

Shit' I don't think even rescue ferrets can save me now.

57 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I think her page is fucking fantastic! I love maniacal rants not directed at me.

I wonder if 62 mile long trees disrupt the Earth's orbit? It has to be freezing in the upper canopy. Do you think the leaves would make the air at that high altitude breathable?  Would the trees  be able to breath? I wonder what Gravity is like that high up......

You have too many questions. You were clearly raised by parents who allowed you to think for yourself. For shame, for shame... (JK of course!!)

I remember , back in my Baptist college physics class, our professor pointed out that the creation story says the Earth rotates.....something about the Greek used indicated rotation. (it was 22 years ago, I can't recall what was said. )   I remember looking it up and seeing the translation, though.

People desperately using the Bible to claim the earth is flat and stationary, are using a very flawed translation.

Wow, between this and the Jill Rodrigues botany lessons, I'm getting quite the education.  I'd do further research, but my brand of tinfoil may be insufficient for the journey.

:martini:

@Grimalkin has nailed it. This is *awesome* stuff. If this was being discussed at midnight on my paranormal radio I'd be laughing and loving it. lol

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

They really should run with "Flerfers." The term really carries a sense of academic gravitas.

If gravity is a hoax, why are things pulled toward earth? Why aren't we just floating around? 

And I don't understand how Flerferism would be taken up by Fundies. I get the Biblical reasoning behind Creationism and Geocentrism, but I can't think of anything in the Old Testament that suggests the earth is flat. 

Really?!? If there is such a thing as gravity then why do birds fly? When I blow bubbles those float too. White fluff flies through the air and makes me sneeze! Birthday balloons float too. Seems like common sense isn't very common!

Edited to add flowers grow UP not down.

3 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Actually, the Bible doesn't really say the earth is flat. Just some crap translations make it seem that way.

And that would make no sense anyways, because nobody ever actually thought the earth was flat. It has always been regarded as spherical. This whole flat earth bizarreness is a modern thing.

Just... So... Stupid...

Ancient Jewish cosmology, as well as the cosmologies of many other civilizations, posited that land and the oceans were positioned on a flat disk, covered by a dome-shaped firmament. Below the disc was the underworld of one's choice and above the firmament was the heaven of one's choice. The whole thing called earth was held up by what are referred to in translation as pillars or vaults in the Hebrew Bible. This lengthy chapter of a now out of print scholarly book explains, although the graphic at the top probably tells you everything you need to know:

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre13.htm

In the Illiad, Achilles's shield depicts the map of the world (according to Homer) and the earth is flat.

It is true that the theory of a spherical earth was known in antiquity from quite early, with Aristotle and other scholar providing rational and empirical proofs of this fact. Educated early and medieval Christians also largely believed in a spherical earth, and manuscripts and writings from those periods reflect this, so there is no reason why modern Christians, who have access to so much more scientific knowledge to believe this. The only explanation I have is that this is the logical end of extreme sola scriptura, namely believing in things that are empirically false just because the Bible says otherwise.

Jen F. links to super-awesome health dude David "Avocado" Wolfe, then argues about whether the Bible says the Earth is a "sphere" or a "circle." Guess which side she's on. 

15 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Ancient Jewish cosmology, as well as the cosmologies of many other civilizations, posited that land and the oceans were positioned on a flat disk, covered by a dome-shaped firmament. Below the disc was the underworld of one's choice and above the firmament was the heaven of one's choice. The whole thing called earth was held up by what are referred to in translation as pillars or vaults in the Hebrew Bible. This lengthy chapter of a now out of print scholarly book explains, although the graphic at the top probably tells you everything you need to know:

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre13.htm

In the Illiad, Achilles's shield depicts the map of the world (according to Homer) and the earth is flat.

Wow! Thank you so much for this! I always assumed it was a 100% erroneous modern idea that flat earth concepts existed, but, yeah, seems like it was an oddball notion in some few places.

How utterly fascinating...

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

this is the message board that I love to fuck with  people on. There are a few rational, intelligent people there...but we're a minority

You can come do my computer lab sims for me

I REALLY should be working on my eBay listings...and finding an item that just sold, but has apparently disappeared!  *grr*  I may need to borrow the rescue ferrets to find it!

1 hour ago, notsocommon said:

All of the pictures of me are flat, paper thin, too!  Does not mean my backside isn't fluffy!

That's exactly what it means! I would also like to announce that I've recently lost a lot of weight due to these new discoveries and that I'd be happy to sell my secret (and a bridge) for only $2,000,000.

I think these people are reading Discworld novels and mistaking them for science books

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

So what do you think Noah used as birth control? he had very few children for a virile man of his age

Hmm, I never quite thought of it that way. It's weird that he only had the three sons.  Hmm...

I hadn't realised that flat-earth ideas were so prevalent.  So I guess learning that is worth the thread being renamed without warning :P

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Uh...God.  Heh.  

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Really?!? If there is such a thing as gravity then why do birds fly? When I blow bubbles those float too. White fluff flies through the air and makes me sneeze! Birthday balloons float too. Seems like common sense isn't very common!

Edited to add flowers grow UP not down.

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Gravity. As if. What a noob idea.

One of our favorite sayings in high school back about 5792 years ago was "There is no such thing as gravity. The Earth sucks!" Usually said  to a group of friends when some activity or plan hadn't worked out quite how all of us had planned.  Had nothing to do with either science or religion.  Life back then was like that.

I remember some time ago (a year or two ago) reading a thread on the Puritan Board about geocentrism and a surprising number of people admitted that they supported it. Granted, a thread on the Puritan Board is hardly representative of the billions of Christians in the world, but I'm starting to wonder if geocentrism is more common than we think.

Archived