IGNORED

Nathan Daher/Hannah Braniger Wedding (Photos)

DomWackTroll

I don't know these people but my god do their pictures cry smug hipsters! The bridesmaid dresses are all cute but their self satisfaction ruins any style points I was about to give them. And a random old couch in the middle of a field. It's impossible to get any more hipster than that. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh , the riggers of looking at 220 wedding photos.  That was rigger-ous.  

As pretty as it was, that was some pineresty overkill.  But if they really pulled that off in four months (as someone mentioned upthread), then they have put Sierra and the Duggarettes to shame.  

Well, I'm riggered out now.

What IS it with the "furniture in random places" trend? Maybe I'm too sober.
Will review the pics later. But I'm from Smug Hipster Central, Chicago, so they COULD be more smug. And more hipster. There's no bands no one has ever heard of, and not NEARLY enough handlebar moustaches.

are these people quiverfull??? cuz why are they dancing??? also this was a cute wedding,,,it would look like any other wedding if i didn't know they were like conservative Christians. also why the hell all the young guys gotta be so hot?? (29 yr old here)

15 hours ago, naatashamaru said:

are these people quiverfull??? cuz why are they dancing???

Vision Forum people, and Dominionists in general, aren't against dancing per se. Some think any kind of dancing is okay, while others limit it to "English country dancing" at their silly dress-up parties. But the vast majority do dance. 

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Vision Forum people, and Dominionists in general, aren't against dancing per se. Some think any kind of dancing is okay, while others limit it to "English country dancing" at their silly dress-up parties. But the vast majority do dance. 

Yes. many of the Calvinists dance.  Some of them drink, smoke, and (allegedly) spank their wives too.  Looking at you, RC Sproul, Jr.

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

I guess I have an affinity for hipsters. And Pinterest. I think it looks beautiful, no snark from me. 

It's not the hipstericity, it's the arrogance. 

The Thomas family have been cosplaying forever, and Jordan N is obsessed by Robin Hood and proudly says so.  He and Melissa married in full days-of-old regalia in a backyard ceremony conducted by one or both of their fathers.  Saved their first kiss for marriage, courted no others, wedding as depicted on their blog was pretty well Christ-free for a Christian wedding.  That puzzled me at the time; since then I've come to understand that this is part & parcel of the VF/NCFIC worldview. So far, so good. Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone. 

But then another couple on the fringes of VF celebrity courageously escaped at least one suffocating VF family and eloped quietly.  "Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone" is not in Jordan's wheelhouse. He sternly criticized -- without naming names, but it was evident -- anyone who would marry without the fathers' approval. Note: the eloping couple were both well into their 20s, and the fellow had a steady job.  It was not a job working for his father, as neither of those families appeared anywhere near as well situated as Pa and The Brain Doct... Salesman. 

AFAIK the eloped couple are fine.  Since then, Jordan and Melissa have just rubbed me the wrong way with their reports. I wish I could scrub the dismay and anger I felt on behalf of the eloping couple from my mind -- maybe I'd just see the Niednagels as a couple of very fortunate trust-fund babies who live life poshly and boast about it, as is totally their right. 

But I can't unsee the seen, and just about everything that these birds communicate is stunk-up by the patriarchal beliefs and prejudices and condemning spirit and callousness that underlie it all. 

YMMV. 

33 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

just about everything that these birds communicate is stunk-up by the patriarchal beliefs and prejudices and condemning spirit and callousness that underlie it all. 

Wish I could like this a billion times.

Jordan & Melissa Niednagel have taken humblebrag to new levels -- not sure if those levels are higher or lower. 

They & their families, particularly Ma & Pa Thomas, openly worshipped Doug Phillips and VF/NCFIC until they didn't. As to whether they've jettisoned the belief system with the worship, take a look at who they hang with on FB. It's revealing.

@MamaJunebug I don't know anything about the family, have never heard of them before, and don't know how the people you mentioned are related to this couple. People were commenting on all manner of the wedding, too pinteresty, too hipster, too smug, too matching, odd sofa, etc. I just see a couple of young people and a beautiful wedding. The friends they keep, or their parents keep, doesn't effect whether I think their wedding photos are aesthetically pleasing. 

23 hours ago, bea said:

What IS it with the "furniture in random places" trend? Maybe I'm too sober.
Will review the pics later. But I'm from Smug Hipster Central, Chicago, so they COULD be more smug. And more hipster. There's no bands no one has ever heard of, and not NEARLY enough handlebar moustaches.

I thought *I* was from smug hipster central, Portland, OR. I have a photographer friends who to a couch to the beach to photograph portraits a few years ago. I thought it was a fun idea, I hadn't seen it before. I liked the juxtaposition of the brightly colored Victorian couch against the grey of the rocks and sand and sky of the PNW coast. I'll admit it's now becoming a bit over done.

2 hours ago, halcionne said:

@MamaJunebug who eloped? I don't think I've seen this discussed on FJ before.

I can't remember the names.  Jordan's reprimands were on FB.  The woman came from a performing family, if memory serves.  The man was just a good guy (by appearances, anyway).  ETA, I don't think we discussed it here, but I very well could be wrong. 

@Anonymousguest, please know I've no problem with your liking of anything. I posted for 2 reasons: #2, to say hipstericity doesn't bother me; #1, to explain my dislike for Jordan et.al.

(I do think current-day grooms & brides 'way overdo on things like taking many, many, many photos, but that's me. My take on weddings is ceremony (5-20 minutes), formal photos (10 minutes), Party (until further notice!) -- and again, that's me. If mileages didn't vary, 'twould be a dull & predictable place, indeed.)

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I can't remember the names.  Jordan's reprimands were on FB.  The woman came from a performing family, if memory serves.  The man was just a good guy (by appearances, anyway).  ETA, I don't think we discussed it here, but I very well could be wrong. 

I'm really surprised that I don't remember this, but I don't. Now it's going to drive me crazy. Thanks, MJB! :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I remember this too, and think it was all on FB. IIRC, some of the commenters tried to rebuke Jordan for his self-righteous asshattery while others gleefully piled on Jordanʻs reprimands. 

Fortunately for the couple who so offended Jordanyoʻs religious sensibilities, living well is the best revenge.

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

You knew I'd have to go find the damn thing! How on earth did I miss this? Get the popcorn out, kiddos. 

I'm very much enjoying the fact that the Facebook photo and profile of Scottie, half of the couple Jordan scolds in this post and the half that shows up on the comments to defend himself, indicate that he's a pro-LGBT pro-Black Lives Matter liberal, at least in recent years.   And a quick search of Jordan's profile tells me they're no longer FB friends.

Nice detective work, DWT.

I've just read the 48-comment FB exchange. If judgmental smuggery were an Olympic event, little Jordanyo would be descending from the rarefied air of his moral high ground waving a gold medal. 

Here's wishing the elopers a long and happy marriage.

I'm off to find the brain bleach.

13 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

You knew I'd have to go find the damn thing! How on earth did I miss this? Get the popcorn out, kiddos. 

DWT, I love you. But you already knew that, right??

ETA: After not-reading the majority of the Niednagel lectures on proper giving in marriage (and seeing that Jordan's bro Jeremy is at least as big a poop as Jordan), I rabbit-trailed* over to The Elopers' FB pages. And found that they are still married, both working outside the home, only have produced one arrow (who sounds like a pistol! -- reminds me of some of the bon mots my kids came up with at that age), and have … gained weight!  Oh, if Jordanyo and Melissa Lee, Beautifully** ever have time in their picture-perfect lives to think about The Elopers, … well, I've a feeling they don't think about them long. Because they don't like to feel horrified and sad and to say, "I told you so."

---------

*Moderates can and sometimes do verb nouns, especially when it works so well (just IMHO, YMMV)! 

** "Melissa Lee, Beautifully" was/is the name they'd come up with to brand products and advice by 'tis herself. Which is fine. She does have an eye and executes very well. And it's pretty wonderfully snarkable. 

13 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Thank you! That exchange is pure gold.  Jordan's arrogance and smuggery are rampant.  And why do they all have to make up statistics like 90% of elopements end up in divorce.

Apparently the pooping-right-before-the-wedding 3-week-old baby Jonas has the middle name "Archer."  My son's name is Archer, and I always cringe when my kids' names show up in fundie circles...

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And why do they all have to make up statistics like 90% of elopements end up in divorce.

Because when youʻre a SOTDRT graduate, making stuff up is about all you can do.

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

(and seeing that Jordan's bro Jeremy is at least as big a poop as Jordan)

Can you believe him? "Well, we may not like it, but God clearly states that women are the property of men." Seriously, he's shamelessly arguing that a father can decide that his daughter should be an unmarried virgin for the rest of her life because SOLA SCRIPTURA. 

It's so amazing to me that their father can run this highly successful business in the Real World, dealing with famous athletes and coaches and professional teams, and... nothing. No one cares. Same thing with Nate Wilson being published by one of the Big Six publishers.

I guess Dominionists can get away with almost anything because no one has the time or patience to figure them out, while evangelicals like the Robertsons and the Duggars wear it all on their sleeves and get in trouble every time they open their idiotic mouths. 

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Thank you! That exchange is pure gold.  Jordan's arrogance and smuggery are rampant.  And why do they all have to make up statistics like 90% of elopements end up in divorce.

And that most elopements happen because of overwhelming, uncontrolled lust.  Sorry, I know you crazies like to think yourselves super-important and influential and all, but the vast majority of people don't share your beliefs and will have sex well before marriage.  It's just not that big of a factor outside of your relatively tiny little world. 

Anne Moser tells the other side of the story, and OMG is it a doozy:

http://www.quicksilverqueen.com/2011/termination-letter/

http://www.quicksilverqueen.com/2014/really/

There’s a bunch more on there, too. Who are these people-- her family, I mean? They’re (apparently) VF-ers and Pearl followers named Dennis and Ruth, and they have 10 other children. Do we know them?

Archived