IGNORED

Jinger's going to the chapel and gonna get married...

samurai_sarah

23 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

It'll be a 30 year wedding anniversary in October.

Wow congratulations!!! This October is my parents 40th anniversary!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

I don't have one of my own, yet...my parents were sitting on the couch watching tv and my dad just turned around and said "so...want to get married?" My mother said "that's like asking me if I want another biscuit!" *crickets* somehow yes was confirmed and fifteen years later she received an engagement ring with the bill, he put it on credit and forgot to take out the receipt. The reaction was priceless. 

That is very similar to my proposal story only we were in bed talking and he said "so you want to get married or what?".  It fits us very much and I giggle every time I think about it.  We got engaged 20 years ago in March and will be married 20 years next month.  And we will have known each other 21 years in December. 

2 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

My wife proposed in January 2013 after only 5 months of dating. Same-sex marriage wasn't legal in either of our states (I lived in MN, and she lived in IN), and it wasn't on the radar to become legal anytime soon.

She proposed with a Taco Bell sauce packet. We saved them for extra taco sauce for other things, and at the time they had little sayings on them. So she told me to get taco sauce from the fridge, and I read it and started crying. I was young, our marriage wasn't legal, and I worried what my family would think. So she hugged me and actually asked me. I said that I needed to think, but 10 minutes later, said yes, since I knew we would be engaged at some point anyway; I just had not been expecting it.

She didn't have a ring, but she had given me a tiny CZ ring two months before, just as a gift, and told me to wear that for now till we found sets. Then we found larger CZ and silver rings on online jewelry auctions (we were broke).

After we moved in and married (7 months after legalization in my state, but before Obergefell made it legal everywhere), I lost my rings in some move or other (we have moved twice in two years). So, she bought me a tiny silver one at a trunk show for $10, spur of the moment. She also specially bought me a Claddagh (she has Irish ancestry and studied there), that has the inner design detached from the ring to be an unobtrusive spin/fidget device. But it looks normal and all. Photos below!

Also, I love all your stories.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ya'll should have come down to Iowa, we've been gay since 2008.  That is a Tshirt slogan that a local company made every time a state legalized gay marriage. like "Minnesota finally as Gay as Iowa" then with the date that state legalized gay marriage. 

Beautiful rings-totally love the one w/the blue stones in it. Very Unique.

19 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm guessing you don't like solitaire rings?

It's not that I dislike them, it's just that it seems like every single fundie girl with the exception of the a couple Bates daughters have the same wedding ring. 

1 hour ago, catlady said:

anything questionable is given to the manager, and the manager decides whether to call the guest or let them contact us (large amounts or items of value, we'd track down the guest, but most would call us within a few hours).  if the guest can't be found--i.e. fake phone number, the item is considered abandoned and the maid gets dibs on whether to keep it.  **I know high-value items would have to be reported to authorities so they are not considered stolen, but we never found anything like that without being able to contact the owner. 

I used to waitress so I know how service jobs are, so we are always careful to tidy up a bit when leaving a hotel.

My husband once left his jacket (nothing fancy) in a hotel in Malaysia, can you believe they actually packaged it up and sent it back to us in the US!  That was service...

We were visiting his family (and I dragged Husband into a jewelry store lol) and I fell in love with this set...that was over budget. So I found a listing on ebay and he won it for me ;)

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1471632763610.jpg

My proposal story was pretty ordinary--"let's get married."  "Ok."  I had a solitaire engagement ring, but the stone fell out maybe 12 years ago and I've never bothered to replace it.  I don't have any other real gems, just a big bunch of costume jewelry (I love diamonds, but after losing one, I just don't own any).  I wear rings on both hands, but not every day, and coordinate the stones with my outfits.  So here is my very simple wedding band with a cocktail ring that goes with the dress I'm wearing today:

image.jpeg

We bought new rings many years ago (have been married 33 years), and we saved our originals for our kids. My daughter wears my old engagement ring (new setting) and our son will inherit his dad's when he gets married , or at some point. We thought that it would be a nice family link and a money/resource saver too. Our kids also liked the idea. My ring was a single solitaire.

My engagement ring was a solitaire. I love the simplicity. Unfortunately, the ring got sold during our financial crunch. 

My husband is saving for a new set. 

I love everyone's rings and stories! My ring is off to get cleaned, but my husband had been literally googling "proposals" when I was around and he would read out the ones he thought were the cheesiest and then demand to know how I wanted him to propose and if I didn't tell him then he would do one of the really cheesy ones as payback.

Well that didn't happen. We went for a hike along a river in the mountains and it was january, so it was starting to get dark early and we had to head back. Well about 500 feet from the mouth of the trail he pulled me aside to look at the river again before we went home and said something like "I hope you don't expect me to kneel in this mud, but I love you and do you wanna get married?" I was so surprised.

He was shaking from nerves and pulled out the box and I said yes! I found out he had bought the ring all the way in October and his brother even came to visit us and my husband showed him the ring and everything and no one ever said a peep! He said he threw up after he bought it, poor guy.

When we were driving out of the mountains I was bouncing in my seat, waiting for us to get cell service back so I could call my mom. I had also made plans for later that night (obviously not knowing about the proposal) so when we got back into town we went bowling with some friends. It was perfect. And we've been married a little over a year.

I love all these stories! I also love imagining how the Duggars would react to them. People living together and having children before they were married. Women proposing to men (the horror), women proposing to other women (the double horror)! :)

And they inspired us all to share. I wish they knew. 

i really wish i could post my son's proposal to his wife (its on youtube) it was during the preschool graduation (we both worked there at the time) he came out and sang a song with the kids and then sang a song just for her and ended it "c will you marry me?" the whole audience went crazy!

Love the stories and the pictures, especially the one with the blue wedding gown! Color all the way!!! I had my wedding gown made by a seamstress in ruby red taffeta silk, with a Southern Belle-ish design - think Bette Davis/Jezebel meets Scarlett O'Hara/Gone With The Wind. I loved it and can't wait to wear it again some day, maybe at a masquerade ball. 

Where I come from, engagement rings are not common - well, some people do them now, but they are definitely not the norm. Wedding bands, on the other hand, are a big deal - we got ours made as thin, discrete bands, white gold on the outside, pink gold inside, and mine has a tiny diamond. 

Proposal: we were good friends several years before we started dating. Our first date was in June, and he proposed the following March, on a Sunday (my favorite day of the week). We had a wonderful day together which he had planned entirely, but as the day went by, I suddenly realized that we had been doing some of my most favorite things - we had brunch, went strolling in the woods, read poetry while having lazy coffee, went to a movie, had late-night dinner. He bought me a cute little stuffed animal and proposed, making me cry :) I should have known better because I am usually the "planner" among the two, but he totally surprised me.

We did not get married until more than a year later, due to planning a big party at a "destination location" (my home country) while living in the USA, and coordinating family and friends scattered in all continents. It was a heck of a party!

3 hours ago, catlady said:

My proposal story was pretty ordinary--"let's get married."  "Ok."  I had a solitaire engagement ring, but the stone fell out maybe 12 years ago and I've never bothered to replace it.  I don't have any other real gems, just a big bunch of costume jewelry (I love diamonds, but after losing one, I just don't own any).  I wear rings on both hands, but not every day, and coordinate the stones with my outfits.  So here is my very simple wedding band with a cocktail ring that goes with the dress I'm wearing today:

image.jpeg

I do the same. My engagement ring is simple but just what I wanted. Unfortunately it doesn't fit so well with my wedding ring. (Lack of planning!!) I have two simple silver rings, one with my birthstone and one with a blue stone. I wear them according to my mood!

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It's not that I dislike them, it's just that it seems like every single fundie girl with the exception of the a couple Bates daughters have the same wedding ring. 

I get that, like about 2007 until recently everyone I know that got engaged, my step sisters my step sister in law my sister and sister in law all have a ring set that looks like this. At 1st I was like ohh that is so pretty now i'm like UGH it is so over done. 

41ctw-gallery-halo-round-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-gia-certified-649.jpg

First time trying to post a photo; hopefully it's not enormous or breaking any unwritten rules...

not much of a proposal story- just us in front of the fireplace at home.  I love my ring- it's a solitaire in a tension setting, so tradition with a modern twist.

image.jpeg

I asked him. Divorced now, so my rings are somewhere. This is similar, except mine are white gold.

Funny, about a month after I got married, a girl at work (only knew her in passing) came in newly engaged... with MY ring!!! Her diamonds were much bigger, though.

ring2.jpg

Love all the stories!! I also have a very basic, small solitaire in platinum. Mr AJD and I picked a date and told our families; I wasn't expecting (or desirous of) a ring, due to blood diamonds and all that (and being young and poor and in grad school), but after we announced to everyone, a family member very kindly offered Mr AJD a family stone which he got reset, and a very basic but sweet proposal followed. Nearly a decade of dating, almost as long married, and I am still happy to have a basic ring.

33 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

(snip)

Also the idea of wearing thousands of dollars on my finger terrifies me, given my history of losing jewellery.

And that is why my engagement ring cost a whopping $15. :)

Mr ss wanted to get married for a long time. We're talking nearly a decade. I kept on saying "no", for various reasons. He never proposed to me, but brought it up occasionally. In the end, I proposed. He said "yes".

FTR: I asked his mother for his hand in marriage. She thought it was hilarious. And then she bought my wedding dress for me. FJ helped. If you're interested, here's the thread.

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

Mr ss wanted to get married for a long time. We're talking nearly a decade. I kept on saying "no", for various reasons. He never proposed to me, but brought it up occasionally. In the end, I proposed. He said "yes".

FTR: I asked his mother for his hand in marriage. She thought it was hilarious. And then she bought my wedding dress for me. FJ helped. If you're interested, here's the thread.

You remind me of Phoebe Buffay.

3 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

My husband is on his 4 th wedding ring from me.  I have told him that if he looses this one he does not get a replacement.

I followed that thread, beautiful wedding dress.  I hope you had a great day.

I like looking at women's engagement rings, but I can't wrap my head around owning one. I rarely wear jewelry and I'm too lazy to make more of an effort. I think I would rather receive food. I could get a Ring Pop!

On 19/08/2016 at 1:28 AM, Gobbles said:

When I married in first grade I got a ring out of a chewing gum machine! (We celebrated the marriage with our teacher and had a little ceremony. We never got a divorce, haha!)

I hope your teacher wasn't Vaughn Ohlman!

12 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Love the stories and the pictures, especially the one with the blue wedding gown! Color all the way!!! 

Thank you!

I chose the blue dress because as you can see from my photo I'm a bit gothy/punky and covered in tattoos, I just looked weird when I tried white dresses on. I also wore New Rock boots to get married in, which wouldn't have suited a white dress.

14 hours ago, wotdancer said:

We were visiting his family (and I dragged Husband into a jewelry store lol) and I fell in love with this set...that was over budget. So I found a listing on ebay and he won it for me ;)

Hide contents

FB_IMG_1471632763610.jpg

Off topic (from the already off topic) but those flowers are lovely :)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived