IGNORED

Jinger's going to the chapel and gonna get married...

samurai_sarah

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

me: I'm pregnant again

him: guess we should get married

teeny tiny chip of a diamond in my engagement ring because we were dirt poor what with having a kid at 19 and all. I lost it years ago. Still have the man though :my_biggrin:

This may be my favorite proposal story ever. So stinking cute! :pb_lol:

10 hours ago, Pravda_Iskra said:

A Tiffany Princess cut solitaire is the engagement ring my boyfriend and I picked out for when the time comes :my_blush: I like them a lot. Plus, those halo rings have a lot of problems with diamonds falling out/getting snagged on stuff. 

I like Jinger's ring. Maybe he can't afford a huge ring with a ton of diamonds, or maybe she didn't want an ostentatious ring. 

Jeremy works for Jesus. I worked for Jesus for 11 years. Trust me, Jesus doesn't pay well. 

I worked for the Catholic Jesus, not Jeremy's Fundie Jesus... But no matter the denomination Jesus doesn't pay well.  

Daily reader, rare poster.

He kept saying he was going to marry me one day. We lived in the arctic, so when i went home for vacation i had my ring designed and paid for it out of an inheritence from a great aunt who had recently passed. I wanted a simple emerald in a stove pipe setting. Two pics - one for what it looks like shape-wise and one for the true colour. We didnt have a big wedding - just got msrried in the kitchen last year with our dog sitting between us. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

27 minutes ago, divadivine said:

Jeremy works for Jesus. I worked for Jesus for 11 years. Trust me, Jesus doesn't pay well. 

I worked for the Catholic Jesus, not Jeremy's Fundie Jesus... But no matter the denomination Jesus doesn't pay well.  

I worked for fundagelical/charismatic Jesus for 6 years and Catholic Jesus for 10. I got a 30% raise when I switched to the latter. 

I'm not kidding. Fundie Jesus pays way, way less. 

My engagement ring is a solitaire. We knew each other plenty well, money was not an issue then, and we picked it out together. Some of us actually like solitaires. My wedding band is a wrap with blue sapphires on either side of my diamond and smaller diamonds on either side of the sapphires. I also picked that out myself. 

image.jpeg

Story: We were high school sweethearts and he joined the Navy months after graduation. We realized during bootcamp that we wanted to get married, but he didnt have time to go get an engagement ring. So he proposed with the promise ring he was going to give me after bootcamp. he took me to a local park outside Chicago and pulled me under a willow tree to propose. In his Navy dress blues and all. We went and picked out my engagement ring a few weeks later. Attached is a picture of both rings. 

image.jpeg

Proposed is a big word. One evening during a beach walk he gave me a hug and asked if we'd dated long enough and weather I thought it was time to get married. I did, so a few days later we got simple golden bands (which we use as engagement rings for both men and women and double up as wedding bands). We celebrated with a Chinese takeaway eaten from plastic containers (we were on budget:) Still happy together.

The ring is actually an antique from my mom. It's a 1920s design and she got it for herself as a 21st birthday present. She had passed away by the time I got engaged, so it was a way to include her. I don't wear it now, but I don't wear my wedding ring most of the time either :) 

Engagement story - We were walking and talking about plans for the future and he turned to me and said, "Let's do it, get married, have a kid, all that stuff." I said yes, of course, lol.  

image.jpeg

My husband proposed to me officially after 3 years of dating, while I was trying to edit my final for American Literature.  He had picked up the ring that night and was too excited to wait.  My ring was a 1/2 carat princess cut diamond.  For our 9th anniversary, he had the stone put into a new setting for me, because one of the prongs was cracked on my original engagement ring and the jeweler refused to resize it.  

Most of the time, I wear a silver celtic knot band.  I save my engagement ring for fancy occasions.  

My husband and I were seeing each other for 6.5 years before he proposed at a boat ramp just down the road from the little house we had just bought together.  It wasn't a terribly romantic proposal, but we've been married 24 years now and he's not really one for romantic gestures.  He'd chosen and paid for the ring but I had to go and specify the size.  I will admit that initially I wasn't too keen on the style and was kind of hoping for a bigger diamond, but I'm happy that all these years later it's still firmly on my finger.  I wanted a plain wedding band, and I do have a lovely eternity ring which I wear most days.  

I'm sure in real life my hands are not this wrinkly...

image.jpeg

Also posed to hide my hideous, short, awful nails.

Wedding band and engagement ring surround the "I really wanna date you exclusively but I am not ready to propose yet" ring.

We dated for 8 years.  8 years, folks.  I might have the record for the longest courtship. :P

I don't think there was even a real formal proposal.   I was just like "I am going into the Peace Corps, since this relationship isn't moving along"... then wham!  "Wanna pick out a date?" So, we did.

Our 9 year wedding anniversary is in October.

rings.jpg

8 years, @MarblesMom!  You beat me with my 6.5 years then 6 month engagement.  

But if I hadn't said to him that the deadline was my 25th birthday, I reckon I could have beaten yours.  He waited till the eve of my 25th birthday to propose, and he's lucky I said yes after making me wait till then...

We were visiting Mr. Butts sister and I got up in the morning and a ring box was sitting on the kitchen table. Mr. Butt  was sitting there drinking coffee. He pushed it towards me and said "this is for you". I opened it, said yes, put it on, got a cup of coffee, kissed him and sat down and drank my coffee. 34 years later...here we are. Romantics we are not.

My wonderful Fiance proposed October 10th last year in Kobe, Japan. :my_heart: We were at the Kobe Herb gardens and it was stunning, we were sitting on a bench under the wisteria. Quite a surprise in the middle of our holiday and seeing as we'd just moved into our first home 10 day's earlier!
And on the 10th of October this year we're getting married!!!! I'm so excited and starting to worry about all the planning we haven't done yet. But as long as we get married at the end of the day, not much else matters!

WP_20160819_14_10_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20160819_14_10_56_Pro.jpg

My husband proposed overlooking mountains and said "wow look at all those rocks... I've got a rock you might like." He is a geologist and also a pro at horrible jokes so it fit, although I was hoping for something more romantic. My ring is perfect though. My favorite color is pink and I don't like diamonds due to the ethical issues so he got me an oval cut pink sapphire set in rose gold. 3453bda82d706d92c37d3da27844213f.jpg

I alternate between 3 rings. Hubby knows I'm not a huge fan of diamonds (too traditional) so he went sapphire. The top is my original engagement ring. We don't have a cute proposal story. Our son had just turned 3 and my ex didn't like Mr Wolfie, ex was in his phase of being a big jerk. The ex tried to say Mr Wolfie couldn't be around our daughters but he had no basis for it other than an obscure state law against cohabitation. We'd already been together 4 years so really just a formality. We got married at the courthouse in Key West. I had a short, flowy, white sundress with blue flowers on it and both my guys wore button down striped blue shirts. We didn't tell anyone for like 2 months.

My wedding band is tungsten, with small celtic dragons etched into a blue inlay. It matches Mr Wolfies, he had to have a good strong metal for work and between being a total klutz, and kiddos who play soccer and hockey, durable is necessary for me as well.

The third is one he got me for our 5th anniversary this summer. I love the rose gold but can really only wear it when I'm sure I won't damage it.

20160819_024123.jpg

20160819_024155.jpg

20160819_024353.jpg

Husband proposed in the bath, with candles, after the final Aussie rules game for the year.  He did not play but I was the team 'trainor' I ran water, treated injuries, strapped sore ankles etc.. I wanted to go out with the team-but he kept insisting we go home.

As he proposed, my house mate was banging on the bathroom window wanting  to talk.  She had been sexually assaulted on a weekend away and needed to talk.  Husband did not get hoped for special cuddles that night.

Engagement ring we picked together, but I ended up paying for it as he was paying for a block of land for our future home.  Central diamond set in yellow gold flanked by 3 smaller diamonds each side.  Wedding ring was my grandmothers gold band.  I do not wear either as I am a nurse and firmly believe in the naked below the elbow school of infection control while I am at work.  I work full time so just developed the habit of not wearing my rings.  Still married 26 years on.  Never did get to build on that block of land.

I do love seeing the different rings and reading everyone's stories.  Love the dog in the background.

My husband proposed on Christmas Eve a year before last. He said he had a present for me to open early. I asked if he was sure since we never open presents before Christmas he said yes. I opened the box and there was a smaller box inside. I opened the next box and there was an even smaller box inside. When I opened the third box I saw the jewelry box as I opened it he got down on his knee proposed.

ring.jpg

About the cake tasting photo... Jinger looks genuinely happy, at least to me. The photos I've seen of her during and since their engagement, she's looked like a new person compared with the old one. Like she's gotten a whole new burst of energy. As much as the Duggars disgust me, I hope J&J are genuinely in love with each other, not just in love with the idea of being in love.

It's probably out of the question but I would love Jinger to have Cousin Famy as her bridesmaid. Think about the teeth grinding and fake smiles Boob & DQ would have :twisted:

I cannae be bothered taking a proper photo of my ring so here's the one I took at the time, dry skin and all:

230923_10151263572551228_1454144315_n.jpg

My engagement story involves being in Reykjavik in Iceland on a holiday. At that point my now-husband and I had been together for four years, and he had said when we first got together that he didn't want to get married again (his first marriage was a disaster, so I don't blame him) and I wasn't overly bothered one way or the other. 

Anyway, he knew I love unusual jewellery so our first day in Reykjavik we went shopping to look at some and I bought a really cool silver pendant (which I've now lost, dammit). He was trying to ask me to look at rings but I wasn't interested (before getting engaged, I rarely wore rings). It was probably a hint, but I didn't notice at all.

Later that night we went for a couple of drinks - literally two, I wasn't drunk - and we were walking past the same shops and it was a bit rainy and I was off with the fairies as I often am and then - BANG - I tripped over and went head first into the wall of the jewellery shop. It could have been really nasty but I got away with a black eye and a torn knee ligament. 

Two days later we went to a geothermal swimming pool in a neighbouring town, partly because my knee hurt and the hot water seemed to help. It was nighttime but the pool was outside with a nice view of the stars and we had the whole complex to ourselves. He asked me to marry him while we were in the pool and I said "fuck yes" because I'm that classy. The first person I told was the change room attendant, while I was stark naked in the change rooms. 

Then, of course, the day after that we went and bought my ring from the same jewellery store I'd fallen into. I guess it was the worst proposal hint ever.

I don't know how much my ring cost but it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars - I was more interested in getting an unusual design and something that had meaning to me, which it did. Also the idea of wearing thousands of dollars on my finger terrifies me, given my history of losing jewellery.

15 hours ago, catlady said:

I used to let my nails get to about 1/2 inch long (and meanwhile I worked weekends as a hotel maid). 

Totally totally off topic, but how was that as a job?  I can imagine you must have encountered really bizarre things ...

9 hours ago, Karma said:

My husband and I were seeing each other for 6.5 years before he proposed at a boat ramp just down the road from the little house we had just bought together.  It wasn't a terribly romantic proposal, but we've been married 24 years now and he's not really one for romantic gestures.  He'd chosen and paid for the ring but I had to go and specify the size.  I will admit that initially I wasn't too keen on the style and was kind of hoping for a bigger diamond, but I'm happy that all these years later it's still firmly on my finger.  I wanted a plain wedding band, and I do have a lovely eternity ring which I wear most days.  

I worked with a guy years ago whose wife came from money so he was determined to buy the biggest diamond possible.  It was a marquise shape (long and thin) and apparently poor quality, because a while after she got it the actual diamond cracked in half.  It must have had a serious flaw down the middle.  So often smaller is better.

I am separated now but I still love my rings and wear them occasionally. My ex proposed to me while we were sitting on the couch watching the telly, not very romantic lol

Screenshot_2016-08-19-13-10-24.png

At work so I don't have a picture of my original engagement ring.   It was marquise cut with small round diamonds on each side.   I actually lost the  1 and 1/4 carat rock at my kid's hockey game about a year ago.   Needless to say hubby was not thrilled.   It must have been loose and there were leaves and dirt everywhere so we never found it... but anyway... on to the engagement story.  

I was two months pregnant (I was 24, he was 29) and we had my hubby's best friend's 30th birthday party that night.   He was like an hour late picking me up from work because he was out shopping trying to find a new "wallet".   Apparently he was getting the diamond put into a setting he liked instead of the original one it was in at the store.   We were going to Vegas for my parents 20th anniversary like 2 months later and he said he wanted to do it there so he was getting the ring early.....

But the night didn't go so well..... After being so late, he finally picked me up and we went to the party.  His brother drove us so my hubby could have a drink or two.   Needless to say, we were still at the hall six hours later, my hubby and his best friend drunk off limoncello shots, singing the song That's Amore.    I beg him to take me home to his house.   I'm exhausted, I have heartburn.......   I tell him to go have fun, go out .......   He refuses of course and we finally go back to his house, the whole time him asking me not to be mad.   (I wasn't, I just wanted to go to bed.)     I run right up to bed and he comes and begs me to come down from the bedroom.   Mind you it is like 1 am..... his mom and brother are downstairs.    I get down there, sit on the couch and he dead serious gets down on one knee and proposes.... drunk at one o'clock in the am......    Ten years later, we are still together   :)  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived