IGNORED

Fundie Homeschool Reading List

Florita

What exactly is the thing with the King James Bible ? My first language isn't English and why do they have such a hard on for that translation because it's just one of many many bible translations out there . The bible wasn't written in English .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My optometrist's practice--which is huge, like nine doctors and five locations--has a vision therapy center which primarily treats kids with conditions that can be helped by it. But general vision loss cannot. 

My mother is nearly legally blind. You would not believe the dumbass crap people say to her. "You should just get LASIK" is our favorite. Like we're going to say, "oh, yeah, right, that will fix it and no one ever thought of it! Thanks!!". I get that one, too. 

And, of course, there are the people who think she is lying when she says she can't see something because she wears glasses so obviously her vision is corrected. 

Or the nasty cashier one day who told her she needed to learn to use the card reader because they are not going to go away. I had to explain that she can't see the screen on card readers. To dig her hole deeper, nasty cashier responded, "time for new glasses, then, geesh!". 

As a general rule, I'm not one of those "speak to the manager" type people. But that kind of behavior warrants some kind of repercussion. 

16 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

As a general rule, I'm not one of those "speak to the manager" type people. But that kind of behavior warrants some kind of repercussion. 

I probably should have. But that happened when dad was still with us and there was a lot to do and I was too preoccupied to take the time to complain. 

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

It often amuses me that the most whacked out fundies are also Alien/UFO conspiracy nuts.

This is so strange to me. What if aliens come to Earth and don't know about God? Would God really create an entirely different planet with different sentient beings and not let His existence be known to them?

Also, I want to know how it affects those Christians who believe they are so special because God created them. Well if God also created other species of sentient beings, how special are you really? Maybe we are the worst of the bunch and all the aliens are super cool and way better than us.

Mr. FF was homeschooled. They weren't KJV only nor were they limited to books like these. I'll see what sort of things he read if I can get my hands on his books from high school, but he was a voracious reader. We just brought crates of books home from a visit to their family. They included some of these classics and a few doctrine books that are popular in our denominations but a ton more SciFi, detective novels, historical fiction and regular boy books.

I went to a very aggressive preparatory school and read way more books in 11th grade alone than these people did in 11 & 12 together. And where's grade 10?

On August 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Fundie Bunny said:

Little men. Not Little women, but the far worse sequel. Oh c'mon Little women is a wholesome as something can get

But but but... Jo is so independent and Amy was so disrespectful to her teacher and besides, Jo did kinda run after Laurie.  And don't get me started on a man with a woman's name.  (Of course I believe none of what I wrote.  I read Little Women in 3rd grade.  I still love it)

What exactly is the thing with the King James Bible ? My first language isn't English and why do they have such a hard on for that translation because it's just one of many many bible translations out there . The bible wasn't written in English .

It's the oldest English translation available, and has been in churches since forever.

Because it reads about as easily as Shakespearian plays, there have been quite a few more modern translations available. When these new translations are made, they go back to the available oldest Greek and Hebrew, and try and make a more correct interpretation. This means that certain scriptures are altered notably from the KJV.

For example, in KJV one verse reads:
“This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?”
‭‭
And in a more modern translation it reads:
“Let me put this question to you: How did your new life begin? Was it by working your heads off to please God? Or was it by responding to God’s Message to you?"

The word "Spirit", which refers to the Holy Spirit, is removed.

This is merely one random example.

Anyways, these new translations freaked fundies out, who basically said that these new bibles were evil, and a satanic attempt to subvert God's word. So they started saying Christians should only read the KJV.

Some Christians started pointing out that the KJV has some really bad translation errors in it (unicorns springs to mind), and somewhere along the way some fundies actually started forming KJV only churches, and then making the claim that KJV was supernaturally guided by God as his "chosen" interpretation.

I had both "Painless Alegebra" and "Painless Fractions." Yes, they did help me to understand the subjects better (I don't Math very well at all)... but I ALSO went to school, where I had a real textbook and a trained teacher.

The public school I went to was admittedly not that great, but I still got a better education than these fundie kids. Sad. 

8 minutes ago, PopRox said:

I had both "Painless Alegebra" and "Painless Fractions." Yes, they did help me to understand the subjects better (I don't Math very well at all)... but I ALSO went to school, where I had a real textbook and a trained teacher.

The public school I went to was admittedly not that great, but I still got a better education than these fundie kids. Sad. 

I used Painless Algebra to help review for the math exam I had to take for a teaching license. I think it is useful for that sort of thing. But as a curriculum...um, no. Of course, these kids are likely not expected to go on to college or even technical training of any sort. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Well, hey, you can't go wrong with a method that only has anecdotal support and involves staring directly into the sun! I'm sold!

She has made an idol of pinhole glasses. It's quite comical, if it didn't have the potential to damage her child's eyesight.

And lets not forget that she herself wears contacts. But the kid, he isn't worth the price so he gets a book and sunlight.

On 15/08/2016 at 5:19 AM, sophie10130 said:

This is so strange to me. What if aliens come to Earth and don't know about God? Would God really create an entirely different planet with different sentient beings and not let His existence be known to them?

Also, I want to know how it affects those Christians who believe they are so special because God created them. Well if God also created other species of sentient beings, how special are you really? Maybe we are the worst of the bunch and all the aliens are super cool and way better than us.

I think that's why they probably think the aliens are just demons messing with people.  And why there's a creationist who speaks at UFO conferences.

Yeah, the paranormal connection is... Odd.

I loooove paranormal stuff. Listen to shows on the radio about it all the time.

Believe any of it? Hardly.

I sometimes will ask my best fundie friend about things like that, like UFOs or black-eyed children. Her response is invariably "sounds like demons".

Though I have talked to some who rather astutely point out that the bible does describe UFO like objects (Ezekiel especially), and that there are no scriptures saying anything about aliens... So I guess they are rather free to be curious about it all.

I also seem to recall one idea about how all aliens will undoubtedly be revealed to have had a Christ-like figure, crucifixion, etc in their civilization just like us. I think that is a rather bold guess. lol

On 8/14/2016 at 5:08 PM, CelticGoddess said:

But but but... Jo is so independent and Amy was so disrespectful to her teacher and besides, Jo did kinda run after Laurie.  And don't get me started on a man with a woman's name.  (Of course I believe none of what I wrote.  I read Little Women in 3rd grade.  I still love it)

But Little Men has Nan, a girl even more tomboyish than Jo. But she is part of a mostly male ensemble cast, not the main character. And the other girl in the book, Daisy, is into dolls and playing in her toy kitchen.

On 14.8.2016 at 7:24 PM, clueliss said:

It often amuses me that the most whacked out fundies are also Alien/UFO conspiracy nuts.

How does that even work? Why aren't there any aliens in the bible then (I'm pretty sure there aren't but feel free to correct this heathen who never read the bible in full if there are) if the bible is everything you need to know because it's complete and godly wisdom?

Well, it doesn't say anything *against* aliens is the main issue. And the book of Ezekiel has some fairly interesting things.

Most commentaries say that what is being described are angelic beings, but since scripture is the inerrant word of God's truth this naturally means interpretations vary widely. :P

Read the first chapter here:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezekiel+1&version=MSG

Has she no clue how next-to-agnostic Mark Twain was? And how Louisa May Alcott was a Unitarian with a Transcendentalist-leaning father?

I wish she'd gone beyond "Little Men" to "Jo's Boys," in which Nan rejects marriage to become a doctor and the Bhaers found a coeducational college rife with feminist principles.

Sorry to nitpick, but the King James Bible isn't the oldest English one available.  The Douay-Rheims is older and widely available (though Ebil Catholic and all), plus there are others like the Matthew Bible which is available, be it not widely.

I've long thought the Geneva Bible should really be the Fundie bible of choice.  It was the main English bible of the Reformation.  King James supposedly hated it because of the republican/anti-monarchy aspects he saw in it and that it implied there were no need for a formal church hierachy.  It was the bible on the Mayflower.  They should really eat it up.  It has had a very spotty history of availability but it's in print now.  I see there's a patriot's version (whatever that may be) of it on Amazon which seems to be doing well enough.

The aliens, oh boy. I had no idea this was even a thing!!

Off to stare at the sun and choke down a few kg of blueberries.

My daughter's reading is much more diverse at an evil Catholic high school.  They are doing Odyssey, Odipus Rex, To KIll a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men in English 1.  Those reading lists scare me.   

I went to the ebil Catholic high school. I don't remember which grade I read which book but I do remember reading Lord of the Flies, 1984, Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, A Separate Peace, The Scarlet Letter, The TIme Machine, Animal Farm, a bunch of Poe short stories, Macbeth, Antigone and a bunch others. 

To be fair this doesn't mean they don't read other books too. I don't know why the fifth grade boy is reading SOTW now instead of last year. There could be many reasons. Isn't one of the benifits of homeschooling that you can go at your own pace? If you hate history, put it aside for a bit then come back to it.

I cringe at the idea of CANDY teaching logic. I also question her reading comprehension and ability to teach complicated ideas. That and her loony alien stuff. Solid stuff.

So all you literature experts out there, I need some help making a reading list for my 4th grader. English is his second language but he reads at least at grade level and can handle teen/ basic adult literature.

He is great on facts, but often doesn't understand them in context. So I would like to focus on stories and historic novels. 

I need to include at least one book on British history. Suggestions for good Christian books are welcome, but no super fundie/ anti-science stuff please. 

He loves (ancient) history, adventure, anything with computers, science and nature. 

Since I did not start reading in English until I was in highschool, I would love some good ideas.

Horrible histories are great for British history - they're enjoyable to read, and pretty accurate.  They're not full and in depth but give a good overview and will spark interest.  They're more like a fact book than a text book and designed to be entertaining.  People would read them in school during reading time (when you could pick any book you wanted).

If he like ancient history - you can can start him on the Romans one and see if he likes the style.  You'll probably need to supplement, but you could use them as a starting point for him to investigate questions the book raises or a sub topic he wants to learn more about.https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=horrible+histories&sprefix=horrible+hi%2Caps%2C266

There's also a TV show, which is hilarious - but jumps times within each episode - note on the link - it was the first episode I found on youtube - so I don't know what's in it - but its all by definition kid appropriate and made for CBBC (Children's BBC) - though it does like discussing gory deaths in a historical context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8S2zsEF14

On August 23, 2016 at 1:11 AM, foreign fundie said:

So all you literature experts out there, I need some help making a reading list for my 4th grader. English is his second language but he reads at least at grade level and can handle teen/ basic adult literature.

He is great on facts, but often doesn't understand them in context. So I would like to focus on stories and historic novels. 

I need to include at least one book on British history. Suggestions for good Christian books are welcome, but no super fundie/ anti-science stuff please. 

He loves (ancient) history, adventure, anything with computers, science and nature. 

Since I did not start reading in English until I was in highschool, I would love some good ideas.

An/Our Island Story is a fun read. Remember that it doesn't promise to be completely accurate, but I still think it gives a nice overview of British history and all of my children thoroughly enjoyed it in early-middle elementary school. He could easily read it himself I would think  

The Little Duke is a good historic novel. I found it terribly dull to read aloud, and was shocked how much my boys, one in particular, just loved it! He can still tell me so much of the story. 

We also liked the Genevieve Foster books for fun reading. 

You can peruse the book lists at Ambleside Online for other ideas. http://amblesideonline.org

Good luck with your search!

Archived