IGNORED

Fundie Homeschool Reading List

Florita

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/23/2016 at 4:11 AM, foreign fundie said:

So all you literature experts out there, I need some help making a reading list for my 4th grader. English is his second language but he reads at least at grade level and can handle teen/ basic adult literature.

For fun reading, my boys like The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. I loved those, as well, at that age. My kids have all read the Little House on the Prairie books around that age. The series has adventure and history (though it's history of the settlers in the U.S. midwest and north). My son who was in 4th grade last year loved a book called The Boy of the Painted Cave. He read it over and over.

My take on the KJV is that the reason fundies love it is the same reason some contemporary churches at the time hated it. When there was no "official" version of the Bible that the general population could read or hear read to them the church high-ups could more or less justify anything they did by saying it was the word of the scriptures - be it asking for money or living in luxury or whatever.  The churchgoers were not in a position to know any better. Now the KJV is incomprehensible to most people it can be used in the same way.

On 24/08/2016 at 8:06 PM, imokit said:

Horrible histories are great for British history - they're enjoyable to read, and pretty accurate.  They're not full and in depth but give a good overview and will spark interest.  They're more like a fact book than a text book and designed to be entertaining.  People would read them in school during reading time (when you could pick any book you wanted).

If he like ancient history - you can can start him on the Romans one and see if he likes the style.  You'll probably need to supplement, but you could use them as a starting point for him to investigate questions the book raises or a sub topic he wants to learn more about.https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=horrible+histories&sprefix=horrible+hi%2Caps%2C266

Snip

I'd like to second this recommendation! I absolutely devoured the Horrible Histories books as a kid. It instilled in me a lifelong love of history :D and there's a book for pretty much every time period you can think of. They work so well because they are funny, the cartoons in them are great! 

Just to add as well, there are also books from the same publisher (I think?) called Dead Famous which are kid-friendly biographies of people like Henry VIII, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton etc. Also Top Ten Xs like Top Ten Bible Stories (despite being raised in a non-religious household they are a great way to introduce the concepts and ideas in a secular way), Norse Legends, Shakespeare plays, etc. 

For other subjects there's also Murderous Maths series and I believe Horrible Science as well. 

Good luck! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the reading list recommendations! I found some of these and ordered a few from the States. He is now devouring books at the rate of about 4 per week and I make sure he alternates English books with those in his mothertongue. I enjoy how he keeps asking me questions about what he reads which I don't know the answer to, and then turns to google to find his own. I envy him for growing up with so much access to information.

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Florita said:

Candy revealed her homeschooling plans for the year including the reading lists for the children. See http://eyes2jesus.blogspot.com/, August 10, 2016.

Stuff in parenthesis () I added. Looks like the oldest kid is getting fully indoctrinated into his parents' crazy-ass beliefs. And why is the 9th grader learning to correct eyesight naturally? Buy the kid some glasses!

Yay for fundie school and colleges. 

Archived