IGNORED

Fundie Homeschool Reading List

Florita

Candy revealed her homeschooling plans for the year including the reading lists for the children. See http://eyes2jesus.blogspot.com/, August 10, 2016.

Stuff in parenthesis () I added. Looks like the oldest kid is getting fully indoctrinated into his parents' crazy-ass beliefs. And why is the 9th grader learning to correct eyesight naturally? Buy the kid some glasses!

Reading Lists

Grade 11 and 12

The Secret of the Strength (“What would the Anabaptists tell this generation?”)

Defending the King James Bible

Complete Bible Answers Book

Logic - A God Centered Approach, Part 2

Planet X (“The Sign of the Son of Man, and the End of the Age” – the hidden 10th planet)

Mere Christianity

Buried Alive (There are several but I’m guessing it’s the one that links Neanderthals to Noah.)

Corrupting the Image (“Angels, Aliens, and the Anti-Christ Revealed”)

Alien Encounters (UFOs, alien abductions & Christianity)

In Awe of Thy Word (“Understanding the King James Bible Its Mystery and History Letter by Letter”)

God's Plan for Man (by Rev. F.J. Dake, Pentecostal preacher and heretic)

50 Years in the Church of Rome (“The Conversion of a Priest” – anti-Roman Catholicism)

Logic: A God Centered Approach, Part 3

Bible - straight through

Logic: A God Centered Approach, Part 4

Grade 9

As a Man Thinketh

Relearning to See (“Improve Your Eyesight Naturally”)

Parables from Nature

Painless Algebra

Logic: A God Centered Approach, Part 1

Little Men

The Prince and the Pauper

Treasure Island

The Story of the World, Volume 2

Grade 7

The Storybook of Science

Painless Fractions

The Fallacy Detective

Boyhood and Beyond

The Prince and the Pauper

The Legends of King Arthur and his Knights

The Story of the World, Volume 1

Grade 5

Simple Country Wisdom

The Word and Song Bible

Christian Liberty Press, Nature Reader 5

The Story of the World, Volume 4

Painless Fractions

The Bible in Pictures

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But aren't the Little Women ebil feminists in some fundies' eyes?

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

But aren't the Little Women ebil feminists in some fundies' eyes?

I till can't see how. They all end up married, being housewives, except Beth for obvious reasons

Why are the 7th and 9th graders doing Story of the World? Those are meant for grades 1-4 (I can buy the 5th grader doing it but even that is sketchy) 

Well, some of the reading looks solid. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is quite good IMO. Treasure Island is great (and spawned the best movie of all time, Muppet Treasure Island). 

Most of those choices, though...yikes. 

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Why are the 7th grader and they 5th grader both doing Painless Fractions? 

Because they are not yet advanced enough for Painful Fractions? :my_biggrin:

Love the title of "Logic: A God Centered Approach". This encapsulates fundamentalism for me - when people try and mix religion (a faith-based belief system) with logic (an evidence-based system).

The only book on the list I am at all familiar with is Treasure Island, my 9 year old is reading it.

Candy says her homeschool curriculum is classical (Trivium) so I'd expect the kids' reading lists to be weighted more toward classics and a lot less of the alien sci-fi and "KJV is the only true Bible" books. But it is Candy and understanding Milton or Shakespeare would be expecting a lot of her. She stays with what she knows.

Okay, she is clearly one of those KJV only fundies. All other translations are ebil, because God himself carefully guided only the KJV through space and time.

How come the juniors/seniors have to read shitty conspiracy theory books while their kid siblings read Dickens and Stevenson?

That improving eyesight naturally one...:pb_confused:

A cursory google search shows that my -7.5 eyesight could be improved simply by eating blueberries and doing some simple eye exercises. Why did I not know this before shelling out hundreds on contact lenses so I could function?!

9 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

What on earth is that improve your eyesight naturally one all about? A cursory google search shows that my +7.5 eyesight could be improved simply by eating blueberries and doing some simple eye exercises. Why did I not know this before shelling out hundreds on contact lenses so I could function?!

It's this: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method?wprov=sfla1

"Eye-care physician William Horatio Bates, M.D. (1860–1931) attributed nearly all sight problems to habitual strain of the eyes, and felt that glasses were harmful and never necessary... His techniques centered on visualization and movement. He placed particular emphasis on imagining black letters and marks, and the movement of such. He also felt that exposing the eyes to sunlight would help alleviate the 'strain.'"

Editing to add this brilliant tidbit:

"Bates believed that the eyes were benefited by exposure to sunlight. He stated that "persons with normal sight can look directly at the sun, or at the strongest artificial light, without injury or discomfort," and gave several examples of patients' vision purportedly improving after sungazing."

1 minute ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

It's this: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method?wprov=sfla1

"Eye-care physician William Horatio Bates, M.D. (1860–1931) attributed nearly all sight problems to habitual strain of the eyes, and felt that glasses were harmful and never necessary... His techniques centered on visualization and movement. He placed particular emphasis on imagining black letters and marks, and the movement of such. He also felt that exposing the eyes to sunlight would help alleviate the 'strain.'"

Well, hey, you can't go wrong with a method that only has anecdotal support and involves staring directly into the sun! I'm sold!

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

A cursory google search shows that my -7.5 eyesight could be improved simply by eating blueberries and doing some simple eye exercises. Why did I not know this before shelling out hundreds on contact lenses so I could function?!

I mistook a piece of pizza for a Slim Jim today (my eyesight is :pb_rollseyes:). We have a Costco sack of blueberries in the freezer. I suppose if I down the whole thing, my eyesight will improve vastly and I can ditch the glasses and contacts. 

I have nothing against eating healthy (who does?), but that's just batshit crazy.

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm -9.5. I do like blueberries. But somehow, it has never helped. And I'm thinking there is no way it would take care of my thinning retinas. 

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

A few weeks ago an acquaintance told me (4 times in 1 conversation) about this and how I ought to look up eye exercises online.  It smelled suspicious to me, so I wasn't surprised by what I found when I got around to looking.  He also said that optometrists are trying to supress the truth about eye exercises so they can sell glasses, which isn't true, as there are professionals prescribing eye exercises for the few specific conditions they have been proven to benefit.

4 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Well, hey, you can't go wrong with a method that only has anecdotal support and involves staring directly into the sun! I'm sold!

Didn't this dude ever read Tangerine???

Seems really light on the reading or I'm just a mean homeschool mom.  My 3rd graders are scheduled to read 45 books this year, and that doesn't include what they will raid from the library for free reads.  Neither of them are reading Story of the World, we're secular. 

Pathetic list. I won't tell you what we are reading, but my two in high school read about 350 pages a week of things like the Iliad and the Aeneid. (It's ancient history year). And no math in 11th grade???  The "painless" series is painless because it is grossly simplified. Oh, and btw, my two are also reading the Bible in chronological order.

17 hours ago, Zoom said:

Why are the 7th and 9th graders doing Story of the World? Those are meant for grades 1-4 (I can buy the 5th grader doing it but even that is sketchy) 

Absolutely. SOTW is a decent 1-4th grade history summary. Sounds like she is being lazy and combining the 5th grader with the younger ones to save time.

Not impressed, I read way more books than that growing up and I still read voraciously and I went from K-11 to evil public schools.

I sure wish I'd have known about this eye exercise thing before I got my cataracts out last year.. 

I feel for those kids. That reading list is SAD!!

39 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I sure wish I'd have known about this eye exercise thing before I got my cataracts out last year.. 

I feel for those kids. That reading list is SAD!!

How does the eye exercise thing work for cataracts anyway?  And aren't they associated with too much sun exposure, among other things?

9 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

A few weeks ago an acquaintance told me (4 times in 1 conversation) about this and how I ought to look up eye exercises online.  It smelled suspicious to me, so I wasn't surprised by what I found when I got around to looking.  He also said that optometrists are trying to supress the truth about eye exercises so they can sell glasses, which isn't true, as there are professionals prescribing eye exercises for the few specific conditions they have been proven to benefit.

My optometrist's practice--which is huge, like nine doctors and five locations--has a vision therapy center which primarily treats kids with conditions that can be helped by it. But general vision loss cannot. 

My mother is nearly legally blind. You would not believe the dumbass crap people say to her. "You should just get LASIK" is our favorite. Like we're going to say, "oh, yeah, right, that will fix it and no one ever thought of it! Thanks!!". I get that one, too. 

And, of course, there are the people who think she is lying when she says she can't see something because she wears glasses so obviously her vision is corrected. 

Or the nasty cashier one day who told her she needed to learn to use the card reader because they are not going to go away. I had to explain that she can't see the screen on card readers. To dig her hole deeper, nasty cashier responded, "time for new glasses, then, geesh!". 

It often amuses me that the most whacked out fundies are also Alien/UFO conspiracy nuts.

Archived