IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 9- Zealous in Zambia

samurai_sarah

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, LaChatteNoir said:

I'm not sure if you fellow snark lovers saw this but it's a very interesting read. A Scottish woman named Louise Linton wrote a book about a year she spent in Zambia. It was reviewed by a major British paper, the interwebz caught wind of it and she got called out on all the nonsense and misrepresentation in her book. She almost caused an international incident and was asked to apologize by the Zambian government. All sales of her book were halted and the amounts donated to charity. I love that the Internet is keeping people honest. Now if only people would use it to research scammers and grifters like John Shrader. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/jul/06/louise-lintons-zambia-is-not-the-zambia-i-know?client=safari

Someone I know posted about that book on FB. I linked John's FB page in my response :pb_lol:

On September 1, 2016 at 0:16 PM, Gobsmacked said:

Calling Countessrascal, 

Is Johnboy's house near any other housing? Is the chicken coop close to his house?

Thank you.

I never saw where he lived so I can't answer your question. However, I can ask my contact if they know. Later

On September 9, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Howl said:

Just to note, silver does have antibacterial properties, and some water filters utilize silver coated elements as part of the filtration process. 

Here's one example:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130208105307.htm

There is always some grain of truth to these things. I am sure it has real benifits. But nothing is a magical cure all. People get duped into buying things they cannot afford. If you can afford it, great. If not, stick with something you can. Like eating produce with every meal, regular exercise....

He posted today about his disappointment in Kent Hovind (of creation museum fame), along with the tidbit that he'd seen Jack Hyles when he was a teenager.  :pb_eek: 

Colloidal silver does have some anti-bacterial properties, but the FDA prohibits quacks from selling it claiming health benefits. Over-consumption leads to a condition called argyria which can turn your skin blue-gray. 

One of the neighborhood pools when I was a kid used a filtering system which used some kind of silver compound instead of chlorine. It was very pleasant to swim in; It didn't irritate the eyes like chlorine. The water had a pink tint in the sun when we splashed  each other.

I doubt that there's enough colloidal silver left in the chickens to actually cause damage to the people who eat them, but it bothers me enormously that John is playing up the huge "advantages" of his chickens to people who are unlikely to have information on the risks. 

John is a whirlwind of activity and has been posting nonstop on his Facebook page.  My head was spinning and eyes (per usual) were rolling, but here are some of the most recent news items:

John wants penpals.  All missionaries long for a kind word from their supporters.  He didn't mention send money, but send money.

He has started a new couples outreach course (I wasn't clear if it was for new couples, or all married couples).  He mentioned that the unsaved halves of some married couples did not attend.

He mentions that he has been "pastoring myself for ten years" and in the field for two.  Did John pastor a church for ten years, or just himself?  I have a difficult time following his writing style.

Here is the biggest accomplishment:

First class of our official Zambian Biblical Baptist church's Bible training ministry, Truth Biblical Baptist Theological College!

Official, but purposely unaccredited.   Good luck, John!  And how is the chicken business doing?

7 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Try saying that after a few drinks!! John may have invented a new drinking game there!!

If we ever have that Free Jinger convention we should collect all his alliterations and turn it into a drinking game for sure!

I personally, shall be drinking mojitos which is my drink of choice. 

Care to join me? 

I had never heard of this concept.  (From John's Facebook)

The first prototype for our new prayer journals for our church. We are tracking the dates we start praying for a request, and noting the date when a prayer request is answered.

So exciting seeing God answer specific prayer before our eyes!

In my varied career, I put in some time as a bookkeeper, so this system of accounting resonates with me.  I wonder if God ever receives a "past due" notice?

:my_angel:

Prayer journals are a relatively common practice.  I think the Maxwells also keep them.

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Prayer journals are a relatively common practice.  I think the Maxwells also keep them.

Ah, I have not heard of these.  The things I learn at FJ!  I suppose if I had thought about prayer journals at all, I would have thought them to be diary-like and very personal.  John's seems so mass-produced and similar to a checklist.

Give us this day (or within a reasonable amount of time) our:

daily bread - CHECK

forgive sins - CHECK

healthy chickens - CHECK

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

They do, but John is doing it differently than the Maxwells. Oddly, really. He's not writing it, but typing it up and will be printing out and replacing pages on a regular basis. I find that so strange and wasteful, but it is John afterall. 

What a weird way to keep a prayer journal. It's all about what God does for John. John seems to think God is here to serve HIM, he has reduced the creator of the universe to a cosmic vending machine. All you have to do is say the right combination of prayers, tell him what you want, and Shazam! There you go! Can I get an AMEN?! Can I get an Alleluia?!

(I watched Blues Brothers again today. The worship scene early in the movie never gets old!)

We had a beloved priest who could deliver a homily in one line.  One of them was God is not a slot machine.

Prayer Journals were never a part of the culture in my particular fundie sect (besides,the first rule in those sorts of places is,never write anything down) but they were popular in the more up-to-date fundevangelical set I knew in my early 20s. They were used as a tool for processing and reflecting though, not as a ledger book.  John has such a fucked up way of seeing the world.  He really does think he's the centre of the universe.

38 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

We had a beloved priest who could deliver a homily in one line.  One of them was God is not a slot machine.

I think John's prayer journal is a Toys R Us catalogue.

I've seen fundigelical prayer diaries like that.  They were to write in being a bound book but with exactly that format.  In fact I've been given a couple in hopes of drawing me into their church.  However, computer generated and printed out for the entire congregation is a different touch.  I don't doubt that some people now keep their personal prayer journals on computer though.

Well of course John's prayer requests must be up for public consumption. How else is going to get people God to send money answer them? Or be able to rub people's perceived failings in their faces, as I see John is "praying" for his brothers to get right with God :pb_rollseyes:

The prayer journals look like a vacation bible school project, though. I think John appreciates the opportunity to treat his congregation like children. If you're going to explain this prayer journal on a child's level, what happens when all those prayers in there don't get answered? I mean, I guess that's the benefit of being able to consider ANYTHING an answer to prayer (even the exact opposite thing happening), but if his followers are expecting some miracle shit to come through, the prayer journal might come back to bite him.

Maybe there should be a wall chart with tally marks so they can see who God loves more.

There is some opportunities for some massive passive aggressive stuff to go down. " I pray Soandso will stop 'forgetting' to feed the chickens."

John apparently has some new converts, and based on his comment that it took a tract and some hours of prayer to accomplish this, I suspect some sleep deprivation tactics were also employed.

In another post, which I had difficulty following (is it John or my weekend frolicking catching up to me -- maybe both), there was this:

He and his new bride Jacqueline traveled there by public transport, met with the Headman along with Phellion, Jacqueline's brother, which is when God mightily moved and touched his heart to give us a plot at no official charge! The church here gave K100 ($10.00) from the tithes and offerings as a token gift in thankfulness for the transaction. I'll share more on that later.

A plot?  Money from tithes?  I'm glad he is going to share more later, because I am not sure what is going on here.  John and his cliffhangers...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived