IGNORED

Bill Gothard, God, and sexual molestation

Et Moi

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I'm a little fuzzy on this, as we've been out of that crowd for a couple years (and growing) but Oak Brook was touted as the route for homeschoolers (read "young men") to become lawyers. It was one of the few routes to a professional career open to the no-college, no-government-loans people.

Well, that and fundies need constitutional lawyers to defend their rights and become politicians to implement god's laws for our country.

In Gothard ' s case OBCL  became the gathering place for everyone considered too "rebellious" to be placated with glorious ministry jobs. Interestingly, many OBCL grads used their educations to get secular jobs and have been associated with sites like Recovering Grace. In essence, Gothard's law school is helping bring him down.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

This guy is a weapons grade douche.

Alfred is another one who makes the point that you can't judge a fundie by the way they dress and the music they listen to. This guy is clearly a hard-core fundie Gothard lover, but his whole family dresses in normal clothes and listens to normal music. 

On 4/14/2016 at 6:46 PM, picklepizzas said:

what would even be the point of an unaccredited law school? what could you possibly do with that degree? 

Plenty: James Pennington passed the California bar on the first try.  Then he used his Oak Brook JD to sue the IRS and win (twice, I think).  It's the Oak Brook College of Law and Public Policy.  I suspect part of what they train their students to do is sue the government over laws and policies they consider not teavangelical friendly.

James Pennington established something called The Anchor Group as a tax exempt religious organization.  My take?  He used this to establish his family as a church. I think I'm understanding that when the IRS tried to access 3 years worth of bank records, he moved to quash the summons because The Anchor Group was a religious entity that falls under the Church Audit Protection Act.  The IRS said no way.  Or something.  

http://courtweb.pamd.uscourts.gov/CourtWebSearch/txwd/05799626.pdf

James Pennington lists himself as a CPA and Attorney at Law. He isn't licensed in Texas, but perhaps he doesn't need to pass the the Texas bar to deal with the IRS on behalf of himself or his clients.   I think Pennington Jr. is also pursuing a law degree through Oak Brook.

They also have a paralegal certification, which could be a fundy approved occupation, I suppose. 

Oak Brook College of Law has a statement of faith that would be right at home with any fundamentalist Christian church.  It's also very cheap.  Think $5,000 or $6,000/yr vs. $50,000 - $60,000/yr for some private law schools. 

So has Tim Levendusky been confirmed as the new President of IBLP and I missed it?

This from the Big Sandy Website, my bolding:

Tim Levendusky

Do Right! Walk in the Light

Tim Levendusky has served with IBLP in a variety of responsibilities and locations around the world over the past twenty-seven years. Having stepped into the position as President of IBLP during a time of transition, Tim has seen the importance of personally walking in the light of God’s Word for each decision each day. Tim will share important updates on the ministry as well as a special message that God has laid on his heart

I want to hear the important updates!

On 4/16/2016 at 5:29 PM, Howl said:

James Pennington established something called The Anchor Group as a tax exempt religious organization.  My take?  He used this to establish his family as a church. I think I'm understanding that when the IRS tried to access 3 years worth of bank records, he moved to quash the summons because The Anchor Group was a religious entity that falls under the Church Audit Protection Act.  The IRS said no way.  Or something.  

http://courtweb.pamd.uscourts.gov/CourtWebSearch/txwd/05799626.pdf

James Pennington lists himself as a CPA and Attorney at Law. He isn't licensed in Texas, but perhaps he doesn't need to pass the the Texas bar to deal with the IRS on behalf of himself or his clients.   I think Pennington Jr. is also pursuing a law degree through Oak Brook.

@Howl - agreed but Pennington only recently passed the CA Bar - admitted to practice in CA in 2014.  He sued the IRS long before that - in 2008 or 9, IIRC.  He claims to have won - or something.

Pennington's website used to be clear that he could only act as a CPA in TX but he touts himself as an expert on Tax Law.  Tax evasion and tax protesting for Sovereign Citizens more likely.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, Howl said:

They also have a paralegal certification, which could be a fundy approved occupation, I suppose. 

I wonder why a paralegal would be a fundy approved occupation. I work for a circuit court- specifically family court. Oh goodness, the messy lives that come through our doors. Juvenile delinquents with minor (truancy) and major (murder, rape, armed robbery), to the divorces, separations, paternity cases, and neglect all come through this courthouse. Then there is still district court and the criminal division of circuit court and probate.

There is a new worker that has told her trainer that some of these women and men have more children with more than one partner and don't they know that is against the Bible! :omg: 

The trainer handled it well and said, well that isn't our job to judge, this is what happens in child support and family court. If the newbie would have said that to me, I might have blurted out a sarcastic remark, like "nooooo, really? I didn't know that after more than a dozen years working here." :angry-banghead: 

43 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I wonder why a paralegal would be a fundy approved occupation. I work for a circuit court- specifically family court. Oh goodness, the messy lives that come through our doors. Juvenile delinquents with minor (truancy) and major (murder, rape, armed robbery), to the divorces, separations, paternity cases, and neglect all come through this courthouse. Then there is still district court and the criminal division of circuit court and probate.

I was thinking that it could be fundy approved because one would not need to go to ebil regular college.  Go to online Jesus college and still make a living.  Perhaps the assumption is that one would go to work for a Christian focused law practice.  

Isn't EMS also fundy approved (at least for some), and they see a lot of the violent/scary side of life. 

I think being exposed to the messy lives of the unsaved is counted as a feature, not a bug. It reinforces Us vs Them and serves as scare tactic to keep the good Christian souls from straying off the path (see what kind of misery befalls the heathens?).

Peter Magnuson is a speaker at this year's Big Sandy (His father, Roger Magnuson, was an ATI Fundie who founded Oak Brook College of Law and went to Harvard law). Peter looks a lot like Waller. Peter went to Duke then University of Michigan Law and works at Faegre now. His fundie family seems to brag a lot that the father went to Harvard and it's mentioned on every website about them. I wonder how Peter feels about his co-workers that are women lawyers. How awkward.

54 minutes ago, uber frau said:

I think being exposed to the messy lives of the unsaved is counted as a feature, not a bug. It reinforces Us vs Them and serves as scare tactic to keep the good Christian souls from straying off the path (see what kind of misery befalls the heathens?).

what are the rules to proselytizing to your clients? they might see it also as a mission field

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Sweet! I'm so surprised he didn't get nailed on the case with Doug and Lourdes. He's all kinds of slimy.

Man I'm behind on this. When did it get to 18 victims suing them?

Would this mean he gets replaced with a better attorney?

Do families like the Duggars keep their kids up-to-date on stuff like this? Obviously with the fundie twist supporting Gothard and condemning the women. And do you think the Bateses kids know about this because Gil is involved?

8 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

Sweet! I'm so surprised he didn't get nailed on the case with Doug and Lourdes. He's all kinds of slimy.

Very slimy, although I was hoping for the best.  I hope it doesn't hurt the plaintiffs' case.

I suppose we will know the ruling tomorrow.

I'm sure it WILL hurt their case one way or another. I wish they had a different lead lawyer.

I think he is slimy and no trustworthy at all,  but if it will hurt their case for him to be dismissed I hope he is allowed to stay on. I do not want Gothard and the BoD to get away with all the awful stuff they did just because of G3. 

44 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I think he is slimy and no trustworthy at all,  but if it will hurt their case for him to be dismissed I hope he is allowed to stay on. I do not want Gothard and the BoD to get away with all the awful stuff they did just because of G3. 

But if he isn't capable of winning the case, and is playing with the other side, how does that really help, either?

He is a bad choice for a lawyer on this case just because of his history, but if dismissing is going to end up hurting the case while dismissing him won't, then I think it is best that he stays. If it won't hurt the case and they can end up with a better lawyer, it would be great. 

I really hope victims don't choose Gibbs III in the future.  His sleaze is becoming apparent.  I had really wanted this particular leopard to have changed his spots.

That said, it isn't over yet - I'm sitting on the edge of the chair until the judge's ruling comes out.  It looks as though a law firm in Chicago is also involved although G3 was the lead, so all is not lost.  Usual disclaimer - not a lawyer.   

I read the transcript of the hearing.  I feel sorry for the Judge.  This is a mess of people who don't know what they are doing (board members past and present) and overweening arrogance - Bill Gothard, who didn't even consult his own attorney over interacting with G3 by his own admission! 

I don't think G3 will automatically be disqualified but he's looking very bad.  Big mistakes were 1. to prepare the first affidavit (even though Gothard edited it) and  2. adding Gothard to the list of defendants having interacted with him over the affidavit - even though new plaintiffs were added.  Yeah, looks really bad.

It does seem that speculation here about the IBLP coup was correct.  Massive division on the board with half of it trying to reinstate Bill - and G3 working with them towards mediation and settlement. Then York, Paine and Gibbs blocking reinstating BG and hanging tough about settlement.  Stancil woffling around in the middle but then siding with BG.

There is also a hint of blackmail towards Stephen Paine and his "troubled marriage" and decision to withdraw from medical practice when he worked at IBLP in BG's affidavit for the hearing.  Interesting.

WTH was G3 chosen to be the plantiffs' attorney knowing that his father was the attorney for the defendants? Whose bright idea was that?

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

WTH was G3 chosen to be the plantiffs' attorney knowing that his father was the attorney for the defendants? Whose bright idea was that?

Where have you been?  Have you not been following the drama?:confused2:

G3 loudly distanced himself from Daddy - and claimed to have had a change of heart from his former association with CLA, which specialized in protecting abusers and enablers.  He set up on his own.  And has chucked Daddy under the bus.

The plaintiffs chose him.  Much discussion has been had here on FJ on whether or not G3 is trustworthy.  Much discussion has been had on whether he is ambulance chasing.  Benefits of the doubt have been given to him - reluctantly.

He seems to be targeting victims to represent them in his new "reformed and representing victims" persona.  He's not been doing very well so far in representing victims.  Looking at the transcript and the affidavits - it's up to the judge.  Gothard is lying like a lily-livered cur.  Of course. G3 looks inefficient right now.

I'm still on the edge of my chair on this one.

I have been following the drama. My question was meant to be sarcastic.

• hoipolloi locked this topic

Archived