IGNORED

When God Sends Your White Daughter a Black Husband

Rachel333

On 10/08/2016 at 4:57 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

I've never understood the "but what about the children" argument when it comes to interracial marriage. I suppose it comes from the belief that white is white and black is black and never will the two meet, but all the author has to do is look at some of her black neighbors to see that this isn't true. The one drop rule really "defines blackness down" to the point where you can have blond hair and blue eyes and still be considered black in this country, so it's not like her future grandchildren will stick out in any sense. Obviously, I don't know how they will identify, but Americans tend not to like racial ambiguity (hence the one drop rule) and will probably be perceived by others as black unless they're incredibly light-skinned, which is well within the range of possibilities.

I have a fantastic book about Black Londoners, that digs into the history of different Black communities that go back as far as there was a port at London - & one of the interesting facts is we tend not to realise that thre were Black Londoners in eg the 15th & 16th Century (despite Othello!) because after a few generations of inter-marriage, it's just invisible

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the article and wanted to slap her in the head.   Arrogance and much as the term annoys me, white privilege pervaded the article with a smug "we are taking in one of "those people" and look how good we are." 

On August 11, 2016 at 2:39 AM, CyborgKin said:

So I just stumbled across this den of racist claptrap: http://faithandheritage.com/2011/11/the-reality-of-race/

Ugh, just looking at the words makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I couldn't read all that wall o' text but saw enough to be thoroughly grossed out. The authors bio at end mentioned the Northwest Imperative, which I had never heard of... Wiki says

The Northwest Territorial Imperative is an idea popularized since the 1980s within white nationalist and white separatistgroups in the United States. According to it, adherents of these groups are encouraged to relocate to a five-state region of the Northwestern United States — viz., Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Western Montana (or the western part at least to Interstate 15).[1] Northern California, northwest Colorado, Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, and Northwest Territories are sometimes also included. The intent is to eventually declare the region an "Aryan" homeland.

The primary proponent of this idea was Richard Girnt Butler (1918–2004), leader of the Aryan Nations. A secondary supporter was Robert Jay Mathews (1953-1984), who lived in Metaline Falls, Washington and advocated further colonization of the area along with David Lane who wrote a fictional short story advancing a form of the idea titled KD Rebel. The major current exponent of Northwest Migration is Harold Covington (b. 1953) of the Northwest Front.

:562479351e8d1_wtf(2): I live in western WA but lots of family in eastern and ID. ID is well known for its racist groups but I thought it was because there were large swaths of land where you could basically do what you want without being bothered. Never heard of forming an Aryan nation!

And she apologized for hurting so many people and scrubbed the article. Is it available on wayback ?

A-ing my own Q, it is, thanks to friendly atheist, maybe?

https://web.archive.org/web/20160808220801/https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/when-god-sends-your-white-daughter-a-black-husband

My ex- was triracial but only looked native or European. Thus the article on first scan was ho-hum, briefly.  Very briefly.  Then the Q's flew:

Why did TGC commission this article? They're a patriarchal breeding ground dolled up in cuteness (The Niednagels, IIRC, have participated).  Why stick a widow woman out there for all to (justifiably) challenge?

Why didn't the article examine the ongoing segregation of Sunday morning?  Were there truly a coalition of Gospel-proclaiming families, the mothers of the groom & bride would already know each other from church, or at least have mutual friends.

Why the white daughter and black son in law? Why not just, "when your child's beloved Christian mate is from another racial group"?

Why the "die to expectations" phrase? I believe the biblical phrase is "die to sin" and Hesse in "Siddhartha" used "die to self."  Why the h-e-double hockey sticks use the "die to" imagery at all?

The original article notes that the author is an RN and devoted to helping individuals freed from human trafficking. She sounds seriously like an earnest good person to me. Why the heck set her up with such a foolishly titled and insufficiently thought-out essay?

The Gospel Coalition needs to drop the G word that it's bastardizing, first thing. Then it needs to deposit itself in the nearest dumpster heading for a trash-to-energy power plant. Because none of what it's published and produced needs to be floating about on an unsuspecting and seeking public. 

The post was down before I ha a chance to read it. I am not sure I want to.

I wonder if the groom's mother thinks this woman was sent from God, and for what purpose? Maybe she can write something called When God Sends Your Black Son a Racist MIL. 

Is God's purpose to teach his family a lesson? Or is this only one sided, and God  orchestrated and arranged this all for the brides mother's sake. Gross.

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Why the white daughter and black son in law? Why not just, "when your child's beloved Christian mate is from another racial group"?

That wouldn't properly convey the drama of the situation. FFS, we're not talking about God sending your white son an Asian wife here, we're talking about God sending your white daughter a black husband with dreadlocks! (For those who missed the article, she really did say the part about dreadlocks.)

I find the idea of God sending the daughter a husband a little annoying too... Where is her agency? The daughter is a grown woman who got to know this man and made the decision to marry him, not just a princess in an ivory tower who waited passively to marry whoever God would send to save her first.

The unGospel Coalition is the mouthpiece for the Neo Calvinist movement, so, doncha know, since man is but a puppet for Sovereign God, Sovereign God does all the work. Ergo, SG sends dreadlocked black husbands to whit daughters GASP!

Torn between giving her credit for trying, when she's clearly outside of her comfort zone, and rolling my eyes at the level of fundie humblebrag.

If I become a 39 point Calvinist or whatever, will God send me to a wife?  Or am I too tall to ship?

Archived