Hisey

Lydia Coghlan (Lias) marrying tomorrow

Miranda

I wish them well, but their Knot story doesn't sound very encouraging

How it Started

Bradley had asked to court Lydia twice before, and she turned him down both times. They didn't interact after the second inquiry until he came to Kaitlyn's birthday party, six months later, in April of 2015, which Lydia was totally against at the time because, awkward. After the party Lydia got a text from Bradley letting her know that he left her guitar tuned differently. Smooth, right?

From there on they talked just about every day. Their conversations consisted of sarcasm, coffee, and music. After 4 months of talking, Bradley asked her if she knew that he had asked about her. She said yes, then there was dead silence between the two of us for a little while. After about 30mins Bradley gets a text from Mr. Coghlan asking if he is still interested in courting Lydia. Of course he was.

Doesn't really convey a sense of enthusiasm.

Odd1Out

Not only discouraging but hard to read. They should Stick to first or 3rd person. Do they seriously not read back over what they wrote?

Lurky

I laughed out loud when I clicked on Lydia's facebook and saw she has GREEN HAIR!  What would the Bateseseses say???

(I don't understand Courtship in the context of a young woman who has her own job... It never really makes sense, but this is even more weird than in the context of isolated SAHDs)

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed unnecessary quote box.

AmazonGrace
9 hours ago, Miranda said:

I wish them well, but their Knot story doesn't sound very encouraging

Doesn't really convey a sense of enthusiasm.

It's not clear to me how much contact  they had before he asked to court her. 

If there was not much interaction before they started texting each other it actually sounds pretty good to me in some respects.  It would seem that despite going for this courtship nonsense she has enough spine and sense to say no if someone she does not know well enough asks to court her, but that once  they started talking they hit it off and got along pretty well. Which is nice, if you're going to have to eat breakfast with them regularly.  

Of course if he's  the sort of dude who would ask to court a girl without having a good friendship with her first he's not that smart but perhaps she doesn't want a smart guy.

She was right to be less than enthusiastic about the courtship offer of some unknown entity but if she negotiated a courtship deal with her father in half an hour after getting a sign he might still be interested it seems some enthusiasm developed during their conversations.

Disclaimer: i don't know anything about them besides what's on this thread and could be totally off the charts.

Edited by AmazonGrace

slickcat79
9 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

Not only discouraging but hard to read. They should Stick to first or 3rd person. Do they seriously not read back over what they wrote?

Their photo page could stand a little editing too. 17/18 photos are just them standing in front of a warehouse in essentially the same pose with weird zooming.

I'm not sure what Bradley does, but it looks like their wedding registry includes EVERYTHING, including a portable washer and dryer.

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

(I don't understand Courtship in the context of a young woman who has her own job... It never really makes sense, but this is even more weird than in the context of isolated SAHDs)

I would guess the Coghlans are playing up the courtship angle in the hope that people will forget that daughter #1 got...divorced.

They've never been as legalistic as some other fundies, plus their family structure and lack of money sometimes require them to do things that I think they otherwise wouldn't. 

DomWackTroll
12 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

I would guess the Coghlans are playing up the courtship angle in the hope that people will forget that daughter #1 got...divorced.

...and now she's holding a cigarette in her Facebook profile photo! Where are my smelling salts?!

Granwych

I hope that Deanna is welcome to attend the festivities.

JermajestyDuggar

I think it's now expected that a fundie girl play hard to get. How many love stories have started with themIRL hesitating or being unsure? This is getting ridiculous. 

fundiefan

There is a picture on Perry's Facebook and Deanna is in it, so yes, she was there.

AmazonGrace
3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it's now expected that a fundie girl play hard to get. How many love stories have started with themIRL hesitating or being unsure? This is getting ridiculous. 

On the other hand it is quite natural I think... Survival instincts. Somebody you really don't know that well asks your dad if you would consider obeying him for the rest of your life and raising a shit ton of his kids, while he has uncertain employment prospects.. Only a stupid girl with a crush, or someone who hates their current life massively and thinks she is out of any options but anything would be better would jump straight in without serious consideration.

JermajestyDuggar
10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

On the other hand it is quite natural I think... Survival instincts. Somebody you really don't know that well asks your dad if you would consider obeying him for the rest of your life and raising a shit ton of his kids, while he has uncertain employment prospects.. Only a stupid girl with a crush, or someone who hates their current life massively and thinks she is out of any options but anything would be better would jump straight in without serious consideration.

Yet the males have no doubts. I really think it's a fundie thing. 

AmazonGrace
8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yet the males have no doubts. I really think it's a fundie thing. 

It is his choice and timing and initiative though and in the event he had serious doubts he would just take more time or ask to court someone else and we would have no engagement story.

JermajestyDuggar
32 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

It is his choice and timing and initiative though and in the event he had serious doubts he would just take more time or ask to court someone else and we would have no engagement story.

True it is his choice. But you would think that at some point the guy would have a doubt or two while getting to know the girl.  This is never the case of they never share this info. Because they really don't know one another all that much when they begin courting in these fundie circles. So you would think a guy would have a doubt or two. 

AmazonGrace

Yeah I think anytime the guy writes at length about praying for guidance etc, he probably was not quite sure. But once he has made up his mind he must be in love and sure and decisive and no longer vacillate, in order to convince her. If he's all "I want to court you but I'm not sure if you are good enough to marry", his success rate could be lower. Everyone wants to hear God gave him a sign.