IGNORED

S'morton Bret Alan Smith Jailed (2)

SpoonfulOSugar

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

I doubt the Malachi blog will ever be deleted. Alan was almost certainly the only member of the family that was allowed to know the passwords, and he rarely logged on as it is.

And it's probably going to be a long time before he gets a chance to use a personal computer again.

If he or his lawyer wants it deleted, Alan can give the password to someone though.

53 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I think it is sadly telling that up to 2013 Katie had a baby a year but only had 2 in the last 3 years. 

It seems to me that it would be natural for children to start being more spaced apart because you would just be so busy with with your tons of children and there wouldn't be as much time for sweet fellowshipping all the time. But I'm basing this solely off my experiences as a mother. As I don't use my older children as extra parents :-/

You know, since Katie was never allowed to learn anything that would make her independent of her family/husband, does she even know how to handle money? Perhaps the Gofundme will be regulated by another male standing in for her husband.. a very yucky idea, in my head, but.. the way they'll maintain control over her and the children.

11 hours ago, JMO said:

Considering that we all know that they don't discuss sex with the kids until they get married,  I'm wondering how this has been explained to the victim, the other kids, and the unmarried adults. Addie may be 26 but they have purposefully not given her the "a man and his maid" speech. Just lots of vague phrasing about Alan being sinful? 

I wondered about this as well.  If I understand the thinking, you don't talk about sex because it keeps the mind pure.  You can't get curious about sex if you don't know what it is.  As a victim, you know what the acts are, so would it be okay to explain it then?  Would it be just a discussion of "what you/Alan did is bad.  Don't do it"?

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It seems to me that it would be natural for children to start being more spaced apart because you would just be so busy with with your tons of children and there wouldn't be as much time for sweet fellowshipping all the time. But I'm basing this solely off my experiences as a mother. As I don't use my older children as extra parents :-/

Yes, but I was trying not to state the obvious.

The past three years, Alan has been otherwise occupied.

No way is that GFM money going directly to Katie. A male relative will be in charge of it. I'll even go so far as to say she will see very little if any of it.

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I think it is sadly telling that up to 2013 Katie had a baby a year but only had 2 in the last 3 years. 

Hopefully it's just her body slowing down not being able to spew kids one after another  but then again it is the same three years he's in jail for. 

*shudders*

On 8/9/2016 at 9:33 AM, Queen Of Hearts said:

Wow.  As bad as most fundie beliefs are, I have real trouble believing many would blame a child for being raped.  And especially not this family that seems to be so family-focused.  

In my professional experience, a lot of victim blaming goes on in sexual abuse and incest cases whether or not the family is particularly Fundie.  

It is incredibly complex - and sickening.  Families, and even mothers in some cases, can blame the child victim for "seducing" the spouse.  Mothers can be blamed for letting themselves go and failing to stay attractive enough for the abuser/rapist.   Mothers can also be blamed - and face criminal charges - for failing to protect the child. Note that Katie has not been charged in this case, which means she did not conspire in or turn a blind eye to child rape and incest.  Yes, that does happen in some cases.

I'm glad to see that Katie's family really does seem to be rallying around her.  I'm probably as cynical as @RosyDaisy though.  My guess is that the family wants her to be put under the umbrella of protection of a male family member and not allowed autonomy.  CPS might have something to say about that.  I don't know.

This family is not Gothardite - but take a look at his treatment of child sexual abuse/rape.  There's a new series by HA on BG being discussed here:

I agree that victim-blaming unfortunately goes on a LOT, even in non-fundy families. Even if the family is totally supportive of the victim, the victim can still have trouble not blaming themselves. This can especially be true where purity culture is prevalent. The victim might also blame themselves for their abuser being in jail, parents getting divorced, etc. Of course, NONE of this is the victim's fault. It just goes to show how important good counseling is for the victim. 

Re: victim-blaming -- an angle of it that I did not realize until becoming close to a victim is that blaming oneself is a common and incredibly strong psychological reaction to being abused or raped. I used to think it was all the culture and people surrounding victims that started the victim-blaming and that spread to victims blaming themselves. Culture certainly plays a part, but it's not all. Blaming oneself is an instinctive reaction because if you are the one who messed up, then you feel some measure of control over the situation. You can just make sure not to mess up again. But if someone else is the only one responsible for devastating your life, you feel a spiral of terror and uncertainty. The world is not safe and never will be again. That's overwhelming, especially in the beginning, and causes victims to feel like it's actually preferable for they themselves to be the ones at fault. It's heartbreaking to watch this chain of thought in action. 

sorry Sorry a little (or lot) off topic, but I cant stop watching these videos on "Captain Bret's" youtube channel :my_sick:

Watch the "Dance video" from 5:30 featuring all of the sisters and ALan...

51 minutes ago, cami said:

Holy FUCK -- what the HELL is that?!?

Each segment is more bizarre than the previous one: the trumpet "playing"; the "choreography"; kids with guns pouring out of the van; the lip-syncing, camo-wearing goofball.

I'm done. 

BTW, @cami, thank you for the suggested start point.

This  the man that raised a child rapist.

While it's not a parents' fault when one of their children does something wrong, the way they raised that child can have an impact.

Alan was raised with a whiney, self loving weasel for a father. He was raised to think that since he has a penis, he is a god over women. He was raised to think that he can do any damn thing he wants and in the end, it will be some woman's fault.

Bret Alan Smith I is an assclown who is responsible for teaching his son he is so important he not only doesn't need an actual job to support the tons of kids he gets off his wife as long as he keeps makin' 'em, but also taught him that if he say 'I want....', he apparently 'can have'.

Mr. video man raised an assclown even worse than he is.

Although, he was no prince either; he historically whined about families investigated by CPS for abuse, saying they were interfering with 'biblical chastisement'....so one can easily assume he liked to beat the shit out of his kids, proving he had no respect for them. So, he passed that on to his son who has even less respect for kids.

Disgusting, repulsive...the whole lot of them.

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Holy FUCK -- what the HELL is that?!?

Each segment is more bizarre than the previous one: the trumpet "playing"; the "choreography"; kids with guns pouring out of the van; the lip-syncing, camo-wearing goofball.

I'm done. 

BTW, @cami, thank you for the suggested start point.

I might have passed it up if I'd have had to watch it all. Talk about a BAD music video! I really can't say more because I just can't wrap my brains around what I just watched... especially the kids with guns part!

i never followed this family except for what i've read on this thread, but surely someone, somewhere had to tell them that was horrendous...and it would be hilarious if it wasn't for what we know right now...it actually tops everything from jrod!

That music video. :shock: You don't think it can get any weirder, and then it does. Who exactly watched these videos? 

12 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

i never followed this family except for what i've read on this thread, but surely someone, somewhere had to tell them that was horrendous...and it would be hilarious if it wasn't for what we know right now...it actually tops everything from jrod!

Now I can't wait to get home to watch it. I've seen many of Brety's videos, but not all. I am chomping at the bit to see this one based on your description alone.

But dammit, I won't be home for another 4 or 5 hours.

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I might have passed it up if I'd have had to watch it all. Talk about a BAD music video! I really can't say more because I just can't wrap my brains around what I just watched... especially the kids with guns part!

Holy crap that was bad!

I have never noticed the fake Captain Bret's incredible resemblance to Gopher on the Love Boat before.  Now I have an earworm.

"God, exciting and new
Come aboard, we're proselytizing you
Heaven, life's only reward
Let us pray, to convert you!

The God Boat - soon we'll be toting another gun
The God Boat - promising Jesus to everyone
Set a course for disaster ..."

Sorry Jack Jones.

Oh, good lord!!! What did I just watch? I does get more and more bizarre, and the Spanish at the end was just the finishing touch it needed. Who ARE these people? I never knew much about them, but, oh, my God, those poor, poor kids.

That bit with the guns... The choreography... I did not expect to laugh in this thread.

Is it bad I sorta like the music, minus the lyrics and random Spanish?

30 minutes ago, season of life said:

That bit with the guns... The choreography... I did not expect to laugh in this thread.

Is it bad I sorta like the music, minus the lyrics and random Spanish?

Season, I laughed too and the music gave me an ear worm. This video is so bad, it's almost good. 

What the hell did I just watch? There is so much wrong with that video I can't even organize it to snark.

It's from 2003. pre SMorton marriages. Did the Mortons see that before decided to ride the Smith crazy train? And the other families who jumped on and off?

Lawd help me. I can't even comprehend a grown adult with healthy brain function even thinking that shit up much less committing it to video-and putting it on the web. 

The dancing dangerously close to the edge of a cliff made me clinch my buttocks with nervousness.  Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived