IGNORED

S'morton Bret Alan Smith Jailed (2)

SpoonfulOSugar

58 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Alan clearly coasted on his status as first son of the Captain.

Seems to be a running theme with Fundies...Josh Dugger, John Shrader..... 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gemini said:

Seems to be a running theme with Fundies...Josh Dugger, John Shrader..... 

This. What's with the first son privilege? I'm the 1st penis so lay the world at my feet? 

On 24. august 2016 at 8:44 PM, picklepizzas said:

One of the young s'mortons (john) posted a pic of them giving "zack" a tour around moultrie. he's followed by addie on instagram. hmmm. anyone know who zack is? 

Zac has featured on the morton blog before, I belive their families are friends. I found a post about one time Zac and his sister came to visit in 2013. mortonclanthree.blogspot.no/2013/11/zac-and-sarah-weekend.html 

(I hope I broke the link the correct way, I´m always nervous about that..)

And in the post Zac appears to help some of the boys make a fence, so I guess he can work? 

9 hours ago, lonedn said:

Zac has featured on the morton blog before, I belive their families are friends. I found a post about one time Zac and his sister came to visit in 2013. mortonclanthree.blogspot.no/2013/11/zac-and-sarah-weekend.html 

And in the post Zac appears to help some of the boys make a fence, so I guess he can work? 

impressive sleuthing! so maybe he's just an old family friend who dropped by to visit and not a "special friend" for addie. too bad. 

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

impressive sleuthing! so maybe he's just an old family friend who dropped by to visit and not a "special friend" for addie. too bad. 

In this family old family friends and special friends are usually one in the same.  I do hope for her that there is a special guy.

I tried to explain the S'Mortons to my husband and despite my background and me having talked about fundies with him for years, he still can't grasp that music video being serious or that those two men would be proud to brag about a woman being raised to be so mindless that she can't make decisions. This whole thing is just so foreign to him, and it should be! It is not normal to make a video talking about how great it is your daughter can't make decisions! 

On 8/26/2016 at 4:19 AM, lonedn said:

Good find!  Thanks.

You don't have to worry about breaking links any more.  The new platform takes care of that for us. :)

2 hours ago, cami said:

In what video do they talk about Katie not being able to decide whether to marry Alan or not, etc?

It sounds like poor Katie couldn't decide what cereal to eat for breakfast, let alone a mate.  I fervently hope that she and her kids are taken care of properly.  I also hope that Alan gets what's coming to him in prison, times ten.

(I don't know the video of which you speak.  Watching that would make me nauseated.)

Captain Bret 'anointed' his house and asks that ya'll pray to make it holy.

The Smith house, holy.

The fear factor he creates gets worse all the time. And that's saying something because he has given me the heebie jeebies since the very first day I learned of his existence.

34 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Captain Bret 'anointed' his house and asks that ya'll pray to make it holy.

The Smith house, holy.

The fear factor he creates gets worse all the time. And that's saying something because he has given me the heebie jeebies since the very first day I learned of his existence.

So that's what all those stains in the driveway are? Holy anointing oil? Looks to me more like crankcase oil. Perhaps The Lord needs to send some replacement automobiles their way.

i noticed none of the older smith kids or their families were there. interesting. 

On 8/28/2016 at 11:48 AM, cami said:

In what video do they talk about Katie not being able to decide whether to marry Alan or not, etc?

I can't double-check because the videos have all been made private, but I THINK it was Cap'n Brett's 10 Steps of a Biblical Betrothal? Either that or one of the zillion other identical "how to do marriage" videos that this lot has squirted out over the years.

It doesn't seem like it is 2016. It seems like those videos are 1821 or 500 years before that.

I truly don't fathom how parents in this day and age would want to send their daughters out in the world without skills, without being able to think and reason for themselves, without confidence that they can use resources within their talents and reach, to survive in the world if they find themselves needing to survive and take care of their children.

Friends, I just offer this. If indeed, this was the truth and the light and the jazz hands way to do things. . . then they would not have asked for monies on social media because their church and believer system would work and the people within that system would have a route to successfully survive, by the other people in the system stepping up. I think it is great that people who wanted to help them, helped them.

But. . .I believe the gentleman (who I think is her brother) said on the post, something to the sort, that the church had been great but that it couldn't do everything or all or continue. . .something of the sort.  Because there are 8 children!  8 little children.  8.  Little.  Children.

Finally here is my point!!!!!! *** Those exclamation points are to myself***

. .. . My point is:

What is wrong with the picture of a woman helping to support the family from ways other then washing her husband's feet, writing letters to her father in which she thanks him for rendering her incapable of thinking for herself, or asking for money from other people, with no plan to start wheels in motion to get a job or go to school to learn a skill set or trade or career?

That said, all best to everyone in this tragic situation and may they all be ok, survive, and move past this to lead happy lives.  

But why???

Why???

Why are the Christian parents against the girls being able to take care of themselves?????

I need to be straight up about something.  I can only talk about this, put it into sentences so far. . .before it just freezes up within me. . .as a person who survived abuse when I was small. . .I want to change my earlier post. 

You never "move past it"

You just compartmentalize it the best way you can, and go forward, being positive, being a person who tries to make a difference in the world. . .and not one who damages the people in the world.

I guess these people who we discuss on Freejinger are of all sorts.  But for those people everywhere, who mess with people and make them dysfunctional. ..seriously seriously. . .it is very sad to see.   It makes me SO FRUSTRATED.

xo to my friends out there

5 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

i noticed none of the older smith kids or their families were there. interesting. 

And the friends who were there didn't look too enthusiastic about it. Lots of weird body language. 

1 hour ago, snowgirl said:

It doesn't seem like it is 2016. It seems like those videos are 1821 or 500 years before that.

I truly don't fathom how parents in this day and age would want to send their daughters out in the world without skills, without being able to think and reason for themselves, without confidence that they can use resources within their talents and reach, to survive in the world if they find themselves needing to survive and take care of their children.

Friends, I just offer this. If indeed, this was the truth and the light and the jazz hands way to do things. . . then they would not have asked for monies on social media because their church and believer system would work and the people within that system would have a route to successfully survive, by the other people in the system stepping up. I think it is great that people who wanted to help them, helped them.

But. . .I believe the gentleman (who I think is her brother) said on the post, something to the sort, that the church had been great but that it couldn't do everything or all or continue. . .something of the sort.  Because there are 8 children!  8 little children.  8.  Little.  Children.

Finally here is my point!!!!!! *** Those exclamation points are to myself***

. .. . My point is:

What is wrong with the picture of a woman helping to support the family from ways other then washing her husband's feet, writing letters to her father in which she thanks him for rendering her incapable of thinking for herself, or asking for money from other people, with no plan to start wheels in motion to get a job or go to school to learn a skill set or trade or career?

That said, all best to everyone in this tragic situation and may they all be ok, survive, and move past this to lead happy lives.  

But why???

Why???

Why are the Christian parents against the girls being able to take care of themselves?????

I think that the Christian patriarchal goal of creating women who are incapable of thinking or doing anything for themselves is a distinctly modern phenomenon (think post 1970s) that was created with the specific goal of countering second wave feminism. There is no way that such a helpless, mindless woman would have been able to survive in the past, when material conditions were much harsher, and all hands, male and female, were needed for a family to survive. Even upper class Victorian women, for example, would have needed to have superior management skills to run their homes and the small army of servants that would have been needed to maintain said homes. As Fjers have often noted, the fundie women we examine tend to be incredibly bad at home economics, despite the fact that they are supposed to be experts in this field. If a family completely undervalues women and girls to the extent that Katie has been, then they can't even be effectively wives and/or mothers, the very thing they're supposed to do.

52 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

Because it's all about power. Power staying in the hands of men. The whole patriarchal structure is based on this. Give a woman skills, independence, and the ability to support herself, and she can just walk out. 

Power and money. But mostly power.

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think that the Christian patriarchal goal of creating women who are incapable of thinking or doing anything for themselves is a distinctly modern phenomenon (think post 1970s) that was created with the specific goal of countering second wave feminism. There is no way that such a helpless, mindless woman would have been able to survive in the past, when material conditions were much harsher, and all hands, male and female, were needed for a family to survive. Even upper class Victorian women, for example, would have needed to have superior management skills to run their homes and the small army of servants that would have been needed to maintain said homes. As Fjers have often noted, the fundie women we examine tend to be incredibly bad at home economics, despite the fact that they are supposed to be experts in this field. If a family completely undervalues women and girls to the extent that Katie has been, then they can't even be effectively wives and/or mothers, the very thing they're supposed to do.

I feel like it's even unbiblical... The servants who got gold and put them to good use got the master's praise but the servant who hid his gift into a hole in the ground was thrown into the darkness for wasting his talents...

these girls are wasting their talents

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25%3A14-30&version=NKJV

13 hours ago, snowgirl said:

I need to be straight up about something.  I can only talk about this, put it into sentences so far. . .before it just freezes up within me. . .as a person who survived abuse when I was small. . .I want to change my earlier post. 

You never "move past it"

You just compartmentalize it the best way you can, and go forward, being positive, being a person who tries to make a difference in the world. . .and not one who damages the people in the world.

I guess these people who we discuss on Freejinger are of all sorts.  But for those people everywhere, who mess with people and make them dysfunctional. ..seriously seriously. . .it is very sad to see.   It makes me SO FRUSTRATED.

xo to my friends out there

Sending gentle and respectful waves of healing and support across the ethernet. 

16 hours ago, snowgirl said:

But why???

Why???

They don't want to educate women or equip them with actual work place skills because they don't want them to even have the option of  working outside the home. If they were educated they could leave home, have a career, make choices other than being a SAHD or keeper at home.  They would see other women making their own choices, living their own lives, sometimes even without(!) the dire consequences they have been told will occur outside of a father's protection.

A woman I know, one who attended college and has a master's degree, home schooled her children, none of whom attended college, said that higher education is contrary to her goals. She says that if girls are meant to be wives and mothers, why should they be educated? It would only tempt them to have other life choices. Having a career or even part time job prior to marriage and family might prove to be too much temptation. They might like the income, the work, the limited hours, and the freedom that working outside the home could bring. She said something along the lines of, "We are fooling ourselves if we think that we can send our daughters to college and educate them to have a career, then expect them to give it up and stay home. Plus, it's a waste of money to pay for an education and then not use it. Our daughters won't be going to college. They don't need it. They can learn everything they need to know for their futures at home. Also, college is full of anti-Christian teachings and behavior and we don't want to expose them to those things."

With education and abilities comes the double edged sword of choice.  Yes, a woman who finds herself without a husband and with 8 kids might be able to go get a job and support her family. But would she have made the choice to marry young and have 8 kids if there had been prior knowledge of options? These families believe that it is Biblical for a female to either stay at home serving her father or to marry and serve her husband. Period. If those are the only two "choices," an education or career is neither necessary nor desirable. 

Free will is only for men. Women must do what men say the bible tells them to do.

Women who have and use their minds are a threat to men. In most all walks of life, but particularly in the fundie world.

As long as men are raised to believe in their own superiority, again in all walks of life, women will be a threat to them. They must guard against that threat with everything they have, and patriarchy veiled in religion gives men the unopposed opportunity to guard their manhood like Fort Knox.

23 hours ago, snowgirl said:

You never "move past it"

Thank you so much for this. I also survived abuse when I was small, and recently was betrayed/emotionally abused by a friend someone I had trusted. Was feeling really sad about it today, so this post really struck a chord. Thank you.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived