IGNORED

London knife attack

caszandra

A 19yr old man was arrested at 22.33 BST Wednesday after attacking 6 people in London. 1 person died in the attack and police have said mental health was a significant factor in the events and at this stage have not ruled out a terrorist link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36972126

Sympathies to the deceased's family and get well soon wishes to the other 5 people injured. I am angry that this keeps happening and sad that the prevailing thought is not again instead of shock that something like this has happened.

I hope all our London based FJers are ok, thinking of you all.

Edited by caszandra
  • Upvote 7
PraiseDog

I was shocked as well when I heard this on the BBC through NPR earlier tonight.  I was especially saddened for the innocent woman who was killed, as well as for her family.
I couldn't help but question the phrasing, "mental health was a significant factor."  Not because you phrased it this way at all - several earlier reports phrased it this way, which seemed odd to me.  It seems to me like it should have been, "mental illness was a factor" or "lack of support for mental illness was a factor" or really "it's possible that this person was known to suffer from mental illness, but lack of support for this person's mental health was a significant factor."

Still, I can't help but admire the way Great Britain deals with these tragedies, compared to the USA.  In this country, the possibly-mentally-ill person probably would have had access to a gun.  The police officers would have had guns as well.  Instead of several people getting stabbed and injured, one person tragically killed, and the perpetrator tased and then taken into custody,  there would have been many more innocent people shot and killed, the local ER filled with injured and dying, one or more officers shot, and most likely the perpetrator shot and killed.
Maybe this way the perpetrator, since he is still alive but in custody, can be interviewed by forensic psychologists and we can get a clue about why people commit these atrocities and what we can possibly do to prevent them.         

• Upvote 6
samurai_sarah

I grieve with those affected. Those who have lost someone, those who were hurt, their families, friends and loved ones. And my sympathy goes to the police officers, first aiders, and anyone who helped.

While my thoughts are mainly with the bereaved, I am also glad and grateful to all first responders. Thank you! Thank you for putting your lives on the line. Thank you for helping.

• Upvote 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• 47of74

47of74

Ok if it wasn’t for the Seattle Police car I would g if Ave guessed this happened in Des Moines. 

· 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy  »  Destiny

Mini-B and I were talking about you today, could you feel it?
      We’ve been exploring crystals and reiki and sage cleansing...not at all in an appropriating way but embracing it and beginning to learn.  We went to a crystal shop and got some lovely things that are meaningful to us and also a sage and lavender bundle.  

researching how to do a respectful cleansing.  

really wish you lived local so we could have dragged you with us.    
      · 3 replies
    • petrushka

petrushka

Mr. P is home and doing well from our recent scare/GI bleed. Age and NSAIDs to blame.  Thanks everyone for your concern.
      · 2 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

Imperfect Foods - have anyone tried them?  
      I'm getting my first box today.  I've never done a subscription box of any kind before, and I'm disproportionately excited.
      · 5 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

HerNameIsBuffy

But it's still Friday so there's that!

· 0 replies
    • Kailash

Kailash

Side note: This is a special To Do list, as it’s @Karma’s last weekend before her surgery so please join in with your plans and well wishes for her. ❤️
      Hey Friends! It’s Friday here, and I’m on a three day weekend, two of which I’ll be without my car. So I have no excuse not to get things done! Join me in grandiose ideas of productivity or even realistic goals. 😀

· 13 replies
    • finnlassie

finnlassie

Ended a toxic relationship. Last nail in the coffin was calling my dad about this yesterday, and him immediately listing reasons why he didn't like him. Yeah. I trust his judgement more than anyone else's. QUARANTINE SINGLE TIMES WOOOOOO!!!!
      · 2 replies
    • Destiny

Destiny

Tonight's attempt at making delicious tofu is in the oven. Early results seem promising so far.
      I love tofu and being able to make it and not have it be hot garbage would be delightful.
      · 2 replies
    • Don'tlikekoolaid

Don'tlikekoolaid

Tsunami warnings for Hawaii and Australia.  Stay safe to FJ people and everyone else too.
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

The first sounds recorded on Mars. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.