IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

41 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

You know what seems weirdest about this post to me? That breakfast isn't a scheduled family affair. It seems odd that they would have control over when and what they eat for breakfast. If everyone isn't sitting together, Jesse has an opportunity to snag an animal cracker and Anna gets to sneak an extra half a smoothie. Seems weird.

I agree that it seems weird.  The first thing I thought of when I read that breakfast is not scheduled is that perhaps they are like the Duggars and stay up most nights.  It's not like they have to go to work in the morning.....

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

I agree that it seems weird.  The first thing I thought of when I read that breakfast is not scheduled is that perhaps they are like the Duggars and stay up most nights.  It's not like they have to go to work in the morning.....

I think there is an enforced, expected bedtime and an enforced early morning wake up. I wonder if breakfast isn't scheduled because they are suppose to use that time in prayer, private bible time, or fasting. 

Depression also makes sleep difficult and makes it hard for sufferers to get up in the morning.  I wonder if Teri didn't have the time or energy to prepare breakfast and so they left it off the schedule  

Okay I'm getting caught up on part two, and I need to know where these Pretzels, Baby commercials are being aired, if not in the US? She has an American accent, no? Maybe they are being aired in the states. I don't see commercials when I watch TV, arrr.

her wig is killing me

I'm surprised a couple of them have their phones right next to their plates like they are expecting an important call. Why would they need to check their phones? It isn't like they are going to be playing games or looking something up on the internet. 

My god, their schedule advice is always so obvious!

schedule you meals! schedule your meal prep time! set phone reminders!

I know their audience is sheltered homeschooling mothers, but still

@delilahdog11, there is a bit of resemblance between the life of the Crawleys and the non-life of the Maxwells in that meals were eaten together as a family.  The Crawleys life is infinitely more genteel though.  The Crawleys may dine at the same time everyday, but they do need to accommodate the kitchen and other staff.  The ladies maids and the valet(s) need to know when they'll need to help with the evening dressing.  The Crawleys also are more adaptable.  I can't imagine the Maxwells coping at all well with the ruptured gastric ulcer that had the Earl of Grantham vomiting blood all over the dinner table and diners.  The Crawleys halted their dinner and got Lord Grantham off to the hospital.  

A widowed Lady Mary becomes the agent for the estate and Lady Edith takes over a magazine in London.   I also love how Lady Mary loves pigs! They  have so much more freedom than the Maxwell young women will ever have.

Maybe they use breakfast time to ensure their day is organized to the minute and coordinate any changes with the Collective.

I can easily imagine breakfast portions being carefully measured out and put into labelled containers the night before, by Teri. 

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Poor, poor Poor Sarah. How I would love to sponsor her on a week at a pleasant resort with other singles her age, moderately devout and enjoying life without 24/7 contact with their parents. 

The $$ spent on that week would be wasted.  Poor Sarah would be in a catatonic state staring at the clock and desperately wanting to go home.

4 hours ago, Jessie E said:

Slightly OT, but I know very little about the Duggars other than the basics: do they stay up very late regularly? Is that like a "thing" for them?

22 minutes ago, lauraloralara said:

Slightly OT, but I know very little about the Duggars other than the basics: do they stay up very late regularly? Is that like a "thing" for them?

Yes, they were often shown on their show staying up late to entertain friends or just each other, I guess. I think the Bates are similar. With all those people, it's like a party every night! ( a fundie party...)

The Maxwells would flip their shit at my house.

2 parents, 2 young adults, 1 teen.  We all eat whatever the hell we want, whenever the hell we want and cook it our own damn selves.  We have not had a dining table for 2 years because we gave it to the oldest when he moved out.  Sometime we'll get around to getting a little bistro set with 2 chairs and a table, but it hasn't happened yet.  Oh well.  

38 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

The Maxwells would flip their shit at my house.

2 parents, 2 young adults, 1 teen.  We all eat whatever the hell we want, whenever the hell we want and cook it our own damn selves.  We have not had a dining table for 2 years because we gave it to the oldest when he moved out.  Sometime we'll get around to getting a little bistro set with 2 chairs and a table, but it hasn't happened yet.  Oh well.  

To be honest, they'd freak out at any house. For multiple reasons. I don't have a routine (not at all during the holidays and only somewhat when I'm at uni.) I wear pants/trousers (brit so I say trousers, to us pants are underwear). I wear "eye-trap" tops. I wear mismatching buttons. I'm atheist. I've never read the Bible cover to cover. Etc. Etc.

Breakfast is not scheduled because they work out every morning. Males and females must not work out together.

The Maxwells definitely don't stay up late.  According to Teri's schedule she is in bed by 10 (after giving Steve his back rub.  Ewwww).

They all get up to do bible study together so I'm confused too as to why they don't have breakfast together.

7 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Poor, poor Poor Sarah. How I would love to sponsor her on a week at a pleasant resort with other singles her age, moderately devout and enjoying life without 24/7 contact with their parents. 

That sounds like the sort of place Sarah would be terrified to go to when she dies.

A week wouldn't be nearly enough.  She needs time to stop hiding in her room, plus more time to learn how to converse without embarassing herself.  And time to recover from all the surprising twists and intensely neat things she wouldn learn obssrving and talking with others her age.  For instance: a much broader vocabulary.

The Maxkidults wouldn't understand but their lives are like an ultra boring Groundhog Day except that they get older. If it wasn't for church on Sunday would they even need to know what day of the week it is? 

I just had the neat opportunity to read those last two posts. It was really exciting. 

but seriously...if i didn't know any better and just came across this blog randomly, and those were the last two posts, i would 100% think this is a parody blog. a post about scheduling meal times, including explicit instructions for how to actually go about setting the meal time? are you kidding me?  sometimes i really think the maxwells are trolling us. 

If only they were trolling...

It still irks me that Teri, with her back issues, is the one giving Steve the backrub, rather than the other way around. 

Or maybe it's code for sweet fellowship, like some have speculated, and he's the one doing all the work. 

:brainbleach:

I'm going to guess the only person allowed to be the one who causes dinner to be rescheduled is Steve, and he does it randomly just to be in control. 

11 hours ago, Jessie E said:

The Maxwells get up very, VERY early-- like at 5AM-- for prayer and personal Bible time.

6 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I'm going to guess the only person allowed to be the one who causes dinner to be rescheduled is Steve, and he does it randomly just to be in control. 

I wondered about this too. Honestly, I think it could go both ways. It's hard for me to picture Teri rearranging dinner because Sarah was finishing a chapter of the newest Boredom with the Moodys installation in a fit of furious inspiration, BUT I feel like they would have just said "we rearrange dinner if Dad is going to be late" since it fits in nicely with their worship of Steve. Maybe they've postponed dinner for ten minutes at one point because one of the married sons and co. were coming to dinner and were unexpectedly delayed, thus requiring a whole change in the way they talk about scheduling... how would one even accommodate for such a departure from the schedule without the guidance of the Maxwells!!!

They would flip their shit at my parents house, after we all grew older before moving off to college everyone had activities and one of my parents cooked and we all are when we could, the only scheduling was around an event. Now, that there's only one left home they only actually schedule meals around a holiday  (the day everyone is supposed to arrive) and even then it's usually not on time due to people in and out, traffic, adding someone extra, or someone forgot to put the bread in the oven or finish the salad. While we wait we are usually having appetizers and/or wine. They would not know what to do. 

It could also be with John's real estate job that things happen and I'm sure a massive Jesus/guilt lecture is thrown at him. 

Terri needs to chill out, but who am I kidding. 

Wow. I went through and read some of the mom's corner & SERIOUSLY articles. I would not suggest it unless you like victim blaming/shaming, vitriolic condemnation, and want to hear the opinions of judgemental assholes. Teri even turns on a long time friend who mentored her through the darkest days of her depression. 

But I would suggest reading Steve's article: A Sad Fact About Kansas for the sheer ridiculousness of it all. He draws an analogy between satan and chiggers even though it would have been easier and more comprehensible to draw an analogy between satan and a parasite. But then Steve wouldn't have been able to cast his might judgement towards all the travelers they see that act like fucking idiots by sitting down in the long grass on the side of a highway. 

Did the Maxwells really white-out the lyrics to Row Row Row Your Boat?? The blog with the Maxwell summary said that, but that sounds beyond ridiculous...even for the Maxwells. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived