IGNORED

M Is For Mama - making quiverfull look modern

Iamhispurity

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was in her q&a post from the first page 

And, no, it wasn’t too terribly weird for me to teach kids that were almost my age because (hopefully, this doesn’t sound too braggadocious), there was a pretty big gap in maturity levels, and I just went into the whole schoolroom experience with the mindset that I was the teacher, they were the students, and that was that.

It was always a little weird when they found out my age after I wasn’t their teacher anymore, though.

I remember one boy wailing, “But you’re only 20, and I’m almost 18. We could have dated!”

Um…no, dear…sorry, but no we couldn’t have.

Just so you know, yes, it does sound braggadocious and I can already tell you did not have a maturity level much higher than your students.

I taught at 20 and turned 21 during the year and was teaching 18 year olds and I never needed to mention my maturity level while putting down the maturity level of the students. I had (male) professors tell me all these things I needed to do to make myself look older (wear more make up, put my hair in a bun or ponytail, wear heels), but at the end of the semester when I asked how old they thought I was (after celebrating my 21st birthday with cookies in class) I got answers ranging from 24-31. It didn't matter that I was close in age, they had created--on their own--a huge age gap because I was the teacher. It had nothing to do with ME.

While yes, there was a large maturity gap, it wasn't so much because I myself am a super mature person, but more because of a difference of life experiences and the fact that for 12 previous years they have had plenty of other student-teacher relationships to model off of. They are used to a large maturity and age gap. She could have answered that question in a much better way, but her answer sounds extremely self-righteous and arrogant. And also, because I'm petty: immature.

No kidding.  I had one young teacher at high school who often reminded us about how mature he was and made hints all of the times that he was only a couple of years older than the eldest students.  He was a complete creeper who got off on the power imbalance.  Total jerk to the male students and he flirted with the females all of the time.  It was obvious that in his mind he was a young, hip teacher who was so much more mature than his students (who obviously must fancy him because of it, right?).  I can just imagine him writing something like that immature Q&A post from her.  Had he not made a big deal out of it I doubt anyone would have given his age much thought because like you say Sophie you get used to a large maturity and age gap from all of your other years of education.

Re: #7  I figured she was due to announce another one as the "baby" Theo is now a toddler and that seems her age spread.  That said 7 children at 34 -- at this rate she could have another 4-6 before they give it up.

Color me cynical but I really doubt the other children are "thrilled" by the new baby. especially the oldest.  It seems that Mr. M travels **alot** and I have no doubt that the oldest, who is a boy, is encourages (forced?) in to the role of man of the house with all the responsibilities thereof.

He's 12 for gosh's sake, he should be skateboarding and playing touch football with his friends.  Although it it seems as if none of the children have any friends.

And did anyone else notice that after the week+ trip to Vail for the family wedding, they immediately took another week's vacation to decompress?  What ever it is that Mr M does it must pay extremely well -- especially judging by the pictures of the new house in progress -- 3 car garage and a house that looks to be 6000 - 8000 sq ft. 

Pregnant again #7. I honestly don't know HOW she does it. She makes it look like cake. Appearances are everything with this one.

image.jpeg

"those 34-year old abs just aren't the same anymore" seriously, woman? I am 28 and 9 weeks pregnant and if I let it all hang out after a meal I look like that. Another humblebrag. 

"Tiebreaker" is kind of stupid when she's planning to have a bunch more kids after this one. It would really only be kind of cute if someone had equal numbers of boys and girls and they were planning for this one to be their last.

(Weak snark, I know. Just annoying how they have to make everything such a production. No one cares that much about your 7th fucking kid.)

Umm -  If you're going to put them in special clothes for a planned photo, shoes should probably be included especially on a pebbled driveway (as opposed to grass where barefoot can be comfy).

Umm -  If you're going to put them in special clothes for a planned photo, shoes should probably be included especially on a pebbled driveway (as opposed to grass where barefoot can be comfy).

I like walking barefoot on pretty much any surface - pebbles feel a bit like a foot massage. Maybe her kids feel the same!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, PennySycamore said:

According to something I read in House Beautiful a few years ago, back in the 60s, the average square footage of a house was about 1500 square feet.  In recent years, it gone up to 2500 square feet.   Lots of people on House Hunters would consider an 1800 square foot house unacceptably small.  The house must have granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, walk-in closets and a huge master bathroom with double vanities.  How did we ever survive without all that?

Btw, the editor-in-chief of House Beautiful thought the trend towards upsizing houses was a bit ridiculous and they've had lots of articles about thriving in small spaces since then.

Unless, of course, it's HH International, in which case they'll pay their $5000/mo to rent a cattle stall.

2 hours ago, justwatching said:

Unless, of course, it's HH International, in which case they'll pay their $5000/mo to rent a cattle stall.

As long as it's in the city center (but not too loud) and close to transit, with a large modern kitchen with full-size fridge and a dishwasher, plenty of light and HISTORIC CHARM :pb_lol:

biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com is a similar blog - I think they are friends! Mandy from BH seems less annoying than Abbie , but she's drunk the koolaid just as much and has even met the Duggars (March 2014 for that post).

I do covet her hair though. Fiercely. 

10 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com is a similar blog - I think they are friends! Mandy from BH seems less annoying than Abbie , but she's drunk the koolaid just as much and has even met the Duggars (March 2014 for that post).

I do covet her hair though. Fiercely. 

Fellow coveter here. I've been bored with my (short, straight, and dark brown) hair for ages!

• 3 weeks later...

She's got some answers to parenting questions up and the Quiverfull is shining through strongly. Highlights:

-of course "discipline" means spank
- "the Lord, others, themselves" I see the JOY principle!
- not a fan of sleepovers because of the things you shouldn't be exposed to "at a young age (or ever!)"

I'm confused. Exposed to what exactly?

Having been to a few sleepovers as a child/ tween, I don't remember being exposed to anything, except staying up all night, giggling, silly innocent stories, pillow fights,  

What is happening at these present-day sleepovers -- or rather what do they think is happening? And since none of the fundies' children attend them, how would they even know?

27 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Having been to a few sleepovers as a child/ tween, I don't remember being exposed to anything, except staying up all night, giggling, silly innocent stories, pillow fights,  

What is happening at these present-day sleepovers -- or rather what do they think is happening? And since none of the fundies' children attend them, how would they even know?

I remember at the Christian camp I went to as a kid (and sometimes when girls from the youth group would get together for a sleepover), things WOULD inevitably happen to make some of the more uptight moms flip out when they heard about it. Stuff like playing light as a feather/stiff as a board, discussing "racy" topics (sex), mooning people/other pranks involving the body, and once even skinny dipping (with same sex only) happened when people were unsupervised, but one kid would inevitably let it slip to a parent. 

So, her kids aren't allowed to say "Yes, mom/dad," they have to say "Yes, Ma'am/Sir." O-okay. And they are not allowed to say "No," ever. FSM help them if they ever encounter a person who wants to harm them in any way. :(

How can these fundie nutbags not understand that raising mindless soldiers who just go through the motions that were beaten into them is incredibly harmfull?

well she certainly doesn't follow the modesty standards for dress like the Duggars.  She has mastered the humblebrag as most of you have pointed out. 

I imagine her kids get a better education than many fundie homeschoolers.   She strikes me as a basic conservative Christian who is picking and choosing some aspects of Quiverfull that resonate with her.  She could easily attain the magic number of 20, if she keeps going at this rate.  She seems  healthier and more energetic that Michelle at  the same age.  And she seems to have closer and better support system outside the family with her mom and others.  So, as long as her husbands $$ holds out she may well be able to live in her bubble of 'innocence' and wealthy white priveledge all the while convincing herself that her life is somehow more blessed because she 'lives right'.  She gives off the image of someone who loves to think she knows what is right, without ever having walked even an inch in someone else's shoes.  She feels comfortable judging Target for their bathroom policy and no doubt harshly judges LGBT.  She can't even come close to imagining or empathizing with someone whose life doesn't look like hers.  She probably blames poverty on the poor.  She is smug and self-righteous under her veneer of aren't I just a regular SAHM with bunch of well groomed kids.  She is basically a less obviously crazy and hateful Lisa Pennington.  She is Lisa v.2

I hate these mommy blogs and I hate that these few people who are able to make this extreme lifestyle work go out of their way to make it look so easy that it entices others, with far less $$ to try to copy them. 

Maybe watch a film with racy topics at a sleepover? Listen to music? The horror.

They aren't allowed to just say "no." It's got to be "no ma'am/sir". When I was 18 I visited family friend in Tennessee whose kids did that. Because I was older than their son, he'd do it to me too. Freaked my European self right out.

On 15/08/2016 at 3:10 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Well, we must be doing something wrong, then, because Mr Alba and I are both software developers and we're living in a 2-bedorom, 650 sq ft flat with a noisy toddler upstairs and a crappy stove.

13 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

The least innocent things that ever happened at any sleepover I attended were arguments over which Monkee was the best, Davy or Mickey. Or who would marry Bobby Sherman when we grew up (I always won that argument. Sadly enough,  though, Bobby never showed up in a tux with a wedding ring! :doh: ).  And invariably, a mother would pop her head round the door and say, 'If I have to hear "Penny Lane" one more time I'm going to take that record player away!' 

I just severely dated myself, didn't I? :whistle:

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

They aren't allowed to just say "no." It's got to be "no ma'am/sir". When I was 18 I visited family friend in Tennessee whose kids did that. Because I was older than their son, he'd do it to me too. Freaked my European self right out.

Thanks for making me re-read that. I thought she was legit saying her children weren't allowed to say "no" at all. Knowing that that's not what she meant makes me feel a little better (even though I find the "ma'am/sir" really ridiculous, especially when it comes to their own families).

1. PETER is the best Monkee, hands down.

2. "no ma'am, sir" is entirely appropriate to say to one's grandparents, parents, uncles/aunts, older people. I still do it. Don't understand the problem here.

3. "If I have to hear that record player one more time...." They couldn't even do that now. They'd have to listen to music on their phones, with headphones. Poor kids.

4. Then there was the friend whose parents had the intercom system in the house, and repeated some of our conversations the next morning, after getting us up by saying, "Up, up,up,up UP!" over the intercom!

@Loveday, I think we're of the same date....

Archived