IGNORED

Dilldereal 18

SpoonfulOSugar

My husband had a good childhood friend named Mario who was Italian American.  In their family, most of the boy cousins were named Mario and the girls were named Angela as was Mario's sister.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, twinmama said:

Jinger's kids should all have horribly misspelled stripper names like mama! Sparkyl!

I know someone with this name. Spelled the exact same way. Not even gonna tell you what her last name is. 

Have you guys seen the new promo for the next season? 

In it Derick is shown saying "try to have another baby by next year"

First of all, who sets a deadline for having a baby? 

Second, this was filmed months ago I assume, so if Jill really is as fertile as her mother, i'm betting on an announcement in the next few months

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@backyard sylphYou'd be surprised. My husband's former co-worker and his wife just welcomed their first baby. They gave him a super Italian first name. They were both born here as were their parents. He's Italian and has an Italian first name that has become really normalized here.

My BIL and his fiancée are talking baby names now and they're really set on very Italian names too. Whether they have kids remains to be seen - we aren't sure if she's even mentioned to him that she's not sure if she wants them. You'd think that's something important that you'd discuss before getting engaged... :pb_rollseyes:

(Husband's family is Italian on both sides - his paternal Grandfather came over as a toddler in the 1920's and had a very Italian name, but everyone else has had names more common in the states and his grandpa went by a related name that was Anglicized.)

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It just isn't much of a given. We tend to be products of our times as well as our grandparents' cultural remnants.

I write stories about a small town based on one I lived near in New Jersey. My main characters have more obvious remnants of their Sicilian and Calabrezi grandparents, because I longed for more of that connection as I grew up, but my mother had largely distanced herself from it, except for some of the food we ate, courtesy of monthly trips to Scimeca's grocery store. She grew up wanting to be more American, especially from having started school in the early 1940s. Later, she regretted not passing more along to us. So no, I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it for these two.

17 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It just isn't much of a given. We tend to be products of our times as well as our grandparents' cultural remnants.

I write stories about a small town based on one I lived near in New Jersey. My main characters have more obvious remnants of their Sicilian and Calabrezi grandparents, because I longed for more of that connection as I grew up, but my mother had largely distanced herself from it, except for some of the food we ate, courtesy of monthly trips to Scimeca's grocery store. She grew up wanting to be more American, especially from having started school in the early 1940s. Later, she regretted not passing more along to us. So no, I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it for these two.

Oh, I wouldn't either. I was just pointing out it is possible.

And it was similar for my dad (his great-grandparents came from Germany) and my husband's family as well. They all wanted to integrate into the culture - so none of the kids grew up speaking Italian or German. They knew some words, but not a lot. It makes me sad because I'd love to speak those languages.

We do have delicious recipes from both sides though. My parents and cousin found a German book in my Great-Aunt's attic right before she died - I figured out it was a cookbook and managed to get an English copy. My Great-Aunt got to read through a bit before she passed and it made her really happy because it's likely her mother and Grandmother used that book or a similar one.

I made dad Beef Rouladen twice and he said it was almost as good as his Grandma's - which is the highest praise I could have gotten from him. Now I make it for him for special occasions because he loves it so much. :pb_smile:

10 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I know someone with this name. Spelled the exact same way. Not even gonna tell you what her last name is. 

Hmm, Sparkyl. Is the last name Motion? 

7 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We do have delicious recipes from both sides though. My parents and cousin found a German book in my Great-Aunt's attic right before she died - I figured out it was a cookbook and managed to get an English copy. My Great-Aunt got to read through a bit before she passed and it made her really happy because it's likely her mother and Grandmother used that book or a similar one.

I made dad Beef Rouladen twice and he said it was almost as good as his Grandma's - which is the highest praise I could have gotten from him. Now I make it for him for special occasions because he loves it so much. :pb_smile:

Praise of the highest order!

No one in my family ever had any recipes, except for a few things like the Easter cookies. They all just cooked. My mom died when I was 24, before I had the chicken soup or the olives figured out, but I could replicate her sauce pretty well, and do all the baking. And now I can do the olives, but ended up coming up with my own chicken soup, and honestly, if my kids want to learn to make it the same way, it would be difficult for me to write down. I could say, "you must use the neck," and "if you don't finish with acine de pepe and some Romano Pecorino, well, it might be nice, but it won't ever be the 'real thing.'" But we all learned what we learned by watching.

Grandma and her three daughters argued one year over the Christmas Eve lasagna; turned out they all made it differently. The siblings would argue over which store made the best sausage, or how best to make it at home, things like that. My mom always tried to improve things, so she had a looseleaf notebook with handwritten recipes of what she learned to make later. But that was stolen from me at some point.

Speaking of the trying to have a baby thing, do you think Jill and Derrick are abreast of the concerns and recommendations of doctors who have consulted about Zitka? On NPR this morning they said the concerning areas now included two in Florida and all men and women are "highly recommended" to abstain for a minimum of eight weeks AFTER leaving the area before attempting to conceive.

Would they be that foolish?

On 8/1/2016 at 7:23 AM, backyard sylph said:

Praise of the highest order!

No one in my family ever had any recipes, except for a few things like the Easter cookies. They all just cooked. My mom died when I was 24, before I had the chicken soup or the olives figured out, but I could replicate her sauce pretty well, and do all the baking. And now I can do the olives, but ended up coming up with my own chicken soup, and honestly, if my kids want to learn to make it the same way, it would be difficult for me to write down. I could say, "you must use the neck," and "if you don't finish with acine de pepe and some Romano Pecorino, well, it might be nice, but it won't ever be the 'real thing.'" But we all learned what we learned by watching.

Grandma and her three daughters argued one year over the Christmas Eve lasagna; turned out they all made it differently. The siblings would argue over which store made the best sausage, or how best to make it at home, things like that. My mom always tried to improve things, so she had a looseleaf notebook with handwritten recipes of what she learned to make later. But that was stolen from me at some point.

No judgement, as my family is the exact same way, but I strongly recommend you try to write things down anyway. My mom passed away almost two years ago, and I'm still trying to figure out just how to make things the way she did. I learned by watching a lot, and I have general recipes down, but it's not just like she made it. Having the details, even without exact quantities, would help so much!

55 minutes ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

No judgement, as my family is the exact same way, but I strongly recommend you try to write things down anyway. My mom passed away almost two years ago, and I'm still trying to figure out just how to make things the way she did. I learned by watching a lot, and I have general recipes down, but it's not just like she made it. Having the details, even without exact quantities, would help so much!

Sadly or ridiculously, there is no "just like I make it" for most things, but I have collected cookie recipes I think they'll want, and I've been thinking about what else I might fake up instructions for. :-) Particularly things that might fall under a "semi-homemade" category; taking something from the store and enhancing it, etc.

Looks like Jill and Derrick are coming back from dangerous Central America soon.

Capture.JPG

Where will Jilly Muffin be living? What's the status of their mini-mansion? JB now has 3 of his married children to house and it doesn't seem like J&D are leaving as quickly this time.

I have a feeling we won't see any pictures of her midsection until days before the new season starts...

Happy Birthday Jenni!  Bet you are looking forward to babysitting your cousin Izzy  so your buddy Jill can go on date nights with her hairy husband!

"Buddy" is in quotation marks because they really mean "the only person in this family who ever paid meaningful attention to you" or "your actual (not biological, but for all intents and purposes) mother".

And I'm suspecting that the decision to postpone the party was a combination of waiting for Hail Jilly Full of Grace to get home and because she's officially hit J-Slave age and needs a few days of orientation to her new role. Those toilets ain't gonna clean themselves now that Anna's too busy working on that Band-Aid Baby, and her younger siblings and nephews/nieces have one fewer pair of eyes on them now that Jinger is preparing to be the family's newest brood mare.

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

"Buddy" is in quotation marks because they really mean "the only person in this family who ever paid meaningful attention to you" or "your actual (not biological, but for all intents and purposes) mother".

And I'm suspecting that the decision to postpone the party was a combination of waiting for Hail Jilly Full of Grace to get home and because she's officially hit J-Slave age and needs a few days of orientation to her new role. Those toilets ain't gonna clean themselves now that Anna's too busy working on that Band-Aid Baby, and her younger siblings and nephews/nieces have one fewer pair of eyes on them now that Jinger is preparing to be the family's newest brood mare.

I will take it one step further - Jenni still won't be cared for.  Jill is the only one who cares for her even though she has her own family - yet APPARENTLY that doesn't matter because YOU NEVER LEAVE The damn fold.     I doubt Jinger has any "permanent" buddies because she is so boring.  Once she is gone she ain't coming back and no one will notice.  Michelle would rather wait two weeks for Jill to be back and hand Jenni to Jill then do anything remotely motherly to her daughter.  Jinger I think has no clue.  Anna I have no words.  

21 hours ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

I have my mom's old Good Housekeeping cookbook and the thing I treasure most about it is her baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe in her own handwriting.  We have the Mac and Cheese every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  My sister contributed mom's Asparagus Casserole recipe to her church cookbook so I have that too.  Mama always made the casserole for Eastern Star potluck suppers.  I wish those women had made a cookbook.  There were some good cooks in the Eastern Star!

3 hours ago, nst said:

I will take it one step further - Jenni still won't be cared for.  Jill is the only one who cares for her even though she has her own family - yet APPARENTLY that doesn't matter because YOU NEVER LEAVE The damn fold.     I doubt Jinger has any "permanent" buddies because she is so boring.  Once she is gone she ain't coming back and no one will notice.  Michelle would rather wait two weeks for Jill to be back and hand Jenni to Jill then do anything remotely motherly to her daughter.  Jinger I think has no clue.  Anna I have no words.  

I've often wondered why it seems Jinger never had a buddy team but Jana, Jill & Jessa did.  Joy was the 1st kid ON a buddy team pairing up w/ Jill. Joy then took over Jenny and Jason (or what ever brother is on that buddy team) but Jenny is the only 1 right now (on Jill's buddy team) who somewhat needs a buddy only being 9 years old. 

On 7/30/2016 at 2:18 PM, Casserole said:

I hope Jinger chooses the most basic, plain and normal names she can think of because she's over the yooo-neek spelling of her own name. 

I hope she names the kid based on her favorite freejinger posters

26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I hope she names the kid based on her favorite freejinger posters

Buzzard Vuolo has a certain ring to it...

The only name that could ever top Heistheway would be Jinger naming her firstborn Happyatheist.   Curious would also be an ironic name for a Duggar. 

On July 31, 2016 at 11:07 PM, PennySycamore said:

@twinmama, we had a dog named Sparky once.  She was a beautiful beagle and her nickname was Sparleberry.

There is a road called Sparkleberry in my city and it makes me giggle a little every time. 

I admit that I haven't been keeping up with the Jillards.  Are they permanently moving back from CA? Have they said one way or another?  It's been a year since they went down, right?

And I found the promo video for CO.  There's an edited clip about trying for another baby. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived