IGNORED

Latest AFA meltdown: Hilton Hotels

10 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

They aren't regular married, they are GAY-married. Didn't you know, if you see a gay couple you might "turn" gay yourself.  Them sneaky gayz are always recruiting, and this is part of their plan for world domination. 

Yup, the whole "they can't reproduce, so they have to recruit" thing.  Newsflash, AFA:  They don't recruit, and sometimes they reproduce!

I love Hilton. In fact, at this very moment, I'm typing from a wonderful king-size bed in a beautiful Hilton suite while hubby snores and snuffles beside me. That print ad is fantastic. 

So yeah, fuck you AFA.

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Travel and Leisure isn’t a straight-specific magazine sent directly to heterosexuals' homes...

They wouldn't want their precious children to be exposed to the idea that consenting adults can love other consenting adults, so they want the ads featuring gay couples contained to publications that only verified LGBT folks will read, in a gay spin on "separate but [not] equal" rules.

If the AFA are fishing for non-existent scandalous advertising: how can we know the straight couple in the other ad is religiously married?! I don't see a wedding ring on the man's left hand! :pearlclutching:

Gay or straight, the ads depict promiscuous people who are clicking around.

Awesome for Hilton to show a gay couple in advertising. I love that this ad gets attention from the AFA...I wouldn't even have known about it otherwise. So props to AFA for spreading the word. :) 

Maybe I'm missing the snark (tired today), but the ad IS implying promiscuity, right? "Stop clicking around" followed by two people in bed? 

16 hours ago, Caribou said:

I love Hilton. In fact, at this very moment, I'm typing from a wonderful king-size bed in a beautiful Hilton suite while hubby snores and snuffles beside me. That print ad is fantastic. 

So yeah, fuck you AFA.

I never actually stayed at a Hilton before, but I have stayed at Hampton Inns a few times.  That brand is owned by Hilton.  They're pretty nice places.  A little pricey compared to other similar hotels.  But I do remember that the beds were very comfortable, almost as comfortable as what I had at home.

My hotel brand of choice is Drury Hotels, but that's more of a southern chain - though they are a bit more spread out than they used to be.  Last summer on the Great 2015 47of74 Road Trip I was mainly staying at either Choice Hotels (Comfort, Quality, EconoLodge, etc) because I had quite a lot of points built up with them or at Wyndam (Super 8, Ramada, etc) because my work had a pretty good discount for them.  I did make the mistake of staying at a Motel 6 on that trip.  I was kicking myself all the way from Montana through North Dakota for that decision - I could have stayed at a Comfort Inn for $106 instead of the Motel 6.

@EmiGirl, a dealership would definitely have classier magazines than the old mechanics shops of years ago that seemed to take pride in how dirty they were.  The MINI dealership I go to has restrooms that are actually clean and that you don't mind using.  Good magazines, too.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:12 PM, Shiny said:

Maybe I'm missing the snark (tired today), but the ad IS implying promiscuity, right? "Stop clicking around" followed by two people in bed? 

I think it's the opposite - they're with the person they want to be with (in the hotel they chose,) so they no longer have to "click around" because they're happy with what they have. :) 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I think it's the opposite - they're with the person they want to be with (in the hotel they chose,) so they no longer have to "click around" because they're happy with what they have. :) 

Oh, yes, I think you're correct. :) 

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmiGirl, a dealership would definitely have classier magazines than the old mechanics shops of years ago that seemed to take pride in how dirty they were.  The MINI dealership I go to has restrooms that are actually clean and that you don't mind using.  Good magazines, too.

Yeah the Chevey dealer where I live has a decent waiting room.  They have wi-fi so I'm not actually looking at magazines while I'm there and am instead perusing the internetz.  My only complaint is that they tend to have a certain reich wing propaganda station going full blast all the time.  Sometimes I change it, especially if the Cubs are on.

On 7/29/2016 at 9:16 AM, December said:

They wouldn't want their precious children to be exposed to the idea that consenting adults can love other consenting adults, so they want the ads featuring gay couples contained to publications that only verified LGBT folks will read, in a gay spin on "separate but [not] equal" rules.

If the AFA are fishing for non-existent scandalous advertising: how can we know the straight couple in the other ad is religiously married?! I don't see a wedding ring on the man's left hand! :pearlclutching:

Nope. That's not it. They want gayness eradicated. Some of the more vitriolic of them advocate stoning gays. They preach about the coming judgment of America - who was that false prophet who claimed, upon a time, that all gays were going to be suddenly destroyed by fire? 

The more "benevolent" among them merely think gays need to be deprogrammed or re-educated. They still regard anything but (is it called "cis"?) to be an aberrant "choice" or mental illness or reaction to having been molested as a child. As recently as the 70s, I think, it was still identified by the APA as abnormal. (At least I read that recently in a current college textbook.)

I wish I could remember the name of the psychiatrist/psychologist who led the fight with the American Psychiatric Association to re-classify homosexuality to not be a disorder.  I do remember that she was straight and , IIRC, was associated with UCLA.  She'd worked with gay clients for years and found that they didn't  meet any of the tests for mental disorders except  for being gay.  Anyway, she prevailed in 1973 and homosexuality was removed from the DSM.  The American Psychological Association followed suit in 1975.

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I wish I could remember the name of the psychiatrist/psychologist who led the fight with the American Psychiatric Association to re-classify homosexuality to not be a disorder.  I do remember that she was straight and , IIRC, was associated with UCLA.  She'd worked with gay clients for years and found that they didn't  meet any of the tests for mental disorders except  for being gay.  Anyway, she prevailed in 1973 and homosexuality was removed from the DSM.  The American Psychological Association followed suit in 1975.

Evelyn Hooker. I've seen her referred to as "Saint Evelyn" by gay writers who lived through that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Hooker

@paganbaby, thank you! thank you! thank you!  I'm a bit embarrassed that I couldn't remember Dr Hookers' name.  No wonder the LGBT community would refer to her as St Evelyn!

Archived