IGNORED

The Allens - Nauglers with British accents

ester

wtf is wrong with these people? :pb_cry:   I read the name as Aliens too. 

The dad, who was in all likelihood vaccinated, is wearing shoes while walking the barefoot unvaccinated baby around on concrete, being unphased by broken glass,  because it's good for her to commune with nature... and get to know the earth.  

That's one barmy nutter right there.  Oh, yes, sure... give us 100k to go homestead, err vacation in Costa Rica. 

Why is it that these free range daft loonies always show off paper, crayons and markers and pronounce them their pseudo curriculum?  It's like waving a chicken over a pot of water and calling it soup.

I needed this snortle... I just emerged from the Sparkling Lauren rabbit hole and was feeling very sad... in need of a rescue, perhaps involving tequila, or maybe sedatives.

The tiny child peeing on the floor during the television interview was awesome. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Warning - on that link there is a picture of a placenta covered in salt and rose petals.  

I was able to bond with mine without toting the placenta around in a ziplock bag.  Anyone else?

And to think that my doctor thought I was weird when I said, "Hey, can I see the placenta before you toss it out? After all, I've been carting it around for months."

I'm a fan of breastfeeding when it's feasible. But my husband managed to bond with both of our kids, and he definitely falls into the "not feasible" category.

4 hours ago, MyMilkshake said:

:pb_lol:
I prefer a zero placenta atmosphere myself.

After I had my daughter the nurse excitedly asked me if I wanted to see the placenta. I less excitedly said, "Sure". I looked at this thing that looked like a big hunk of liver and said something like, "That's interesting", and then she took it somewhere (probably the garbage because hello!, medical waste! ). I had no interest in taking it home with us. 
But that's just me.

I posted about my similar experience before I saw this. Except I was the one who was interested to see the placenta, and my doctor acted like no one had ever asked before.

I know there are recipes for cooking the placenta. I think the idea is to recoup the lost protein. (I just sent my husband out for burgers because the hospital kitchen was closed.) I read that some vegetarians think placenta eating is okay because nothing died to make the tasty meat snack.

22 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

And to think that my doctor thought I was weird when I said, "Hey, can I see the placenta before you toss it out? After all, I've been carting it around for months."

I'm a fan of breastfeeding when it's feasible. But my husband managed to bond with both of our kids, and he definitely falls into the "not feasible" category.

I posted about my similar experience before I saw this. Except I was the one who was interested to see the placenta, and my doctor acted like no one had ever asked before.

I know there are recipes for cooking the placenta. I think the idea is to recoup the lost protein. (I just sent my husband out for burgers because the hospital kitchen was closed.) I read that some vegetarians think placenta eating is okay because nothing died to make the tasty meat snack.

Tasty meat snack?  :pb_lol:  If FJ ever does a potluck you're going on the dessert committee!  

Unfortunately in Norwegian, but citations regarding breastmilk as eye drops can be found at the bortom of the document.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.oslo-universitetssykehus.no/omoss_/avdelinger_/nasjonal-kompetansetjeneste-for-amming_/Documents/Fagstoff/Fagstoff_morsmelk_oyedr%C3%A5per.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjdyfeK4pXOAhVIDJoKHTftDXIQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHBQ_kPiC3knXg5Rlod2nPLJb9Jlg&sig2=014N0D1qhtExexKSYToAew

I must say, it does make me itch when people like the Allens recommends something, without expressing/recognizing the limitations. Breast milk as treatment? Yes, by all means, but FFS, acnowledge that modern medicine might be a good thing when "natural" does not quite meets the expectations! 

With my second kid, the doctor held up the placenta and showed it to me while she was examining it to make sure it was intact. I guess it was interesting, but my mind was pretty much otherwise occupied.

As it happens, I got what used to be called "childbed fever," from which women so often didn't recover before the discovery of antibiotics. And she came in and said, "I showed you the placenta, right? I'm sure nothing was left behind." So I inferred from this that it's good for a doctor to check it over.

If we were orangutans, gnawing the umbilical cord off, then consuming the placenta as a tasty post-birth snack (and, I'm just guessing, but to not leave traces around of a new offspring that someone else would consider a tasty snack?)  instead of having someone bring us cranberry juice and scrambled eggs, that would be one thing. And I can sort of understand burying it as a nice throwback to our connectedness to Earth, etc. But we are not orangutans. Cooking the thing they eat raw because of how they collect food, or carrying it around because scissors are man-made, but plastic bags are okay somehow; these behaviors are rhyme without the reason. Some of these practices can be justified, but not merely by calling them "what natural was." Adaptation is a thing.

Personally, I rather wonder how their plan to move to Costa Rica is meant to work out. Based on the sources I read (my Spanish is lacking at the best of times), the Allens would need substantial personal funds, or sources of income, to obtain permanent residency and work permits.

Not knowing them personally, I also wonder how good their Spanish is. I fought my way through the official immigration website (either the English one is down for me, or just down). I imagine that for anyone who's about as fluent as I am, the bureaucracy involved would be a nightmare. And I was only reading, instead of dealing with spoken Spanish in an accent that I am unused to in Europe.

As I said, I don't know them, I know nothing of their Spanish skills. their personal income, or their practical plans, I am merely wondering about people who think it's easy to start a new life in another country. Because those issues mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg.

12 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

You must be vaccinated to enter Costa Rica. Maybe there are exemptions; I didn't look when we went because we are all vaccinated. The Allens' bigger problem is that most visas are for a maximum of 90 days. To stay longer, you have to show assets, income, etc.  You don't just move there and live in the jungle and no one pays attention to you. For a third-world country, CR has almost first-world educational and medical systems, and they really don't need British freeloaders down there. Talk about first-world privilege. Or arrogance. Ugh.

My vote is for arrogance, personally.

They won't get very far - in fact, they should be glad they live in England rather than in Scotland, because people up here would really let them have it :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Personally, I rather wonder how their plan to move to Costa Rica is meant to work out. Based on the sources I read (my Spanish is lacking at the best of times), the Allens would need substantial personal funds, or sources of income, to obtain permanent residency and work permits.

Not knowing them personally, I also wonder how good their Spanish is. I fought my way through the official immigration website (either the English one is down for me, or just down). I imagine that for anyone who's about as fluent as I am, the bureaucracy involved would be a nightmare. And I was only reading, instead of dealing with spoken Spanish in an accent that I am unused to in Europe.

As I said, I don't know them, I know nothing of their Spanish skills. their personal income, or their practical plans, I am merely wondering about people who think it's easy to start a new life in another country. Because those issues mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg.

On of the articles said she majored in linguistics and Spanish at university, but no idea fluent that would make her if she's not using it regularly. 

It seems to me like just a flight of fancy...want to get away from it all and live in nature ...ooh Costa Rica is pretty.  One of the articles said one of them volunteered in Costa Rica for 6 months at one point.  I definitely know people who think spending any extended time in another country makes you practically a native. 

I think they are easier to snark on than the Ns because as horrible as they are the kids have a proper home, access to clean water, beds, toys, etc. The danger is definitely there with the anti-vaxxing and insane medical theories, but given where they currently live with the visiting nurse and having contact with family members who aren't drinking the kool-aid there might me a far stronger safety net for those kids.  

They aren't fundy (that I can tell - no religious reason has been cited) but I wonder how many kids they will end up with if they are as committed to the natural life as they claim.  Condoms aren't found in nature and she'd certainly be a hypocrite if she was on BC while denying her son medication for scarlet fever and chickenpox.  Don't get me wrong - not bringing more kids into the world unless they figure out that fasting can't cure meningitis would be a great thing...just saying you can end up with a pretty full quiver regardless of philosophy without active family planning.

Or not - NFP works well for many and it's certainly non of my business how they handle that...I was just wondering where that falls into the medication thing. 

The upside - I did read in one of the articles that if there was an accident she said of course she would get the kids medical treatment as she wouldn't let them die.  Damning with faint praise, but it was something.  

The CDC website warns specifically about Typhoid in Costa Rica, and also Zika. Do the Allens use birth control or is that too statist?

15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Tasty meat snack?  :pb_lol:  If FJ ever does a potluck you're going on the dessert committee!  

Or  just bring the paper plates. lol

1 hour ago, ester said:

The CDC website warns specifically about Typhoid in Costa Rica, and also Zika. Do the Allens use birth control or is that too statist?

No rules

No work

No discipline

No schooling

Major Grift Attempt

I get the feeling the Allens use whatever makes their life easier. 

(Birth control is also free in the UK which may sway their decision too, especially as the government plans to stop people claiming benefits for more than 2 children) 

20 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I get my self-sufficiency at the super market so I've never seen it in it's natural state.

Sad, almost tragic, commentary on the state of self-sufficiency production these days.

Once upon a time, every family had their own little plot and *everyone* understood how self-sufficiency grew.

11 hours ago, Thorns said:

I must say, it does make me itch when people like the Allens recommends something, without expressing/recognizing the limitations. Breast milk as treatment? Yes, by all means, but FFS, acnowledge that modern medicine might be a good thing when "natural" does not quite meets the expectations! 

This reminds me of a line in Tim Minchin's poem "Storm"

By definition, I begin
Alternative Medicine, I continue
Has either not been proved to work,
Or been proved not to work.
You know what they call alternative medicine
That's been proved to work?
Medicine.

They've been on my radar for a while although I've managed to avoid the peeing on the carpet interview mainly down to my aversion to This Morning ;) 

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think they are easier to snark on than the Ns because as horrible as they are the kids have a proper home, access to clean water, beds, toys, etc. The danger is definitely there with the anti-vaxxing and insane medical theories, but given where they currently live with the visiting nurse and having contact with family members who aren't drinking the kool-aid there might me a far stronger safety net for those kids.  

They aren't fundy (that I can tell - no religious reason has been cited) but I wonder how many kids they will end up with if they are as committed to the natural life as they claim.  Condoms aren't found in nature and she'd certainly be a hypocrite if she was on BC while denying her son medication for scarlet fever and chickenpox.  Don't get me wrong - not bringing more kids into the world unless they figure out that fasting can't cure meningitis would be a great thing...just saying you can end up with a pretty full quiver regardless of philosophy without active family planning.

I agree that they are easier to snark on, as their current situation isn't as dire as the Nauglers.  That said, don't you think the Naugler's were only this crazy and bad 10-12 years ago?  They were probably still living in a regular house with running water and attempting to homeschool.  Hopefully, the UK social services are better and this will not reach Naugler proportions.

On July 28, 2016 at 0:35 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think I just became vegan. :my_sick:

I'm sure we can still tell HV no not coming in and they can report you but SW won't automatically come out because of thier say so. I'm Scotland. As for being investigated because of being on telly I doubt it unless they raise mega red flags and because of thier lifestyle sorry it doesn't. SW are underpaid and over worked with most being part time and having 20 odd cases that don't see thier SW for weeks or months even. So new cases are on the back burner  and this is UK in general 

Also because of the age gap surely birth control is being used or some form of  

Im surprised he hasn't been mandated to do courses whilst claiming benefits or are they not claiming but then they would have to to claim housing benefit. Everything is capped these days and I think they have this romantic view of a better place out in Costa Rica 

Delusional is what they are. 

22 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

If we were orangutans, gnawing the umbilical cord off, then consuming the placenta as a tasty post-birth snack (and, I'm just guessing, but to not leave traces around of a new offspring that someone else would consider a tasty snack?)  instead of having someone bring us cranberry juice and scrambled eggs, that would be one thing. And I can sort of understand burying it as a nice throwback to our connectedness to Earth, etc. But we are not orangutans.  

Dogs will chew off the umbilical cord and eat the afterbirth too. But considering my own dog will eat cat poop and roll on dead things if given a chance , I'm not convinced we should do things just because other animals do.

They have raised £245!!

possible donators:

a. Maybe their neighbours are sick of them.

b. Eamon and Ruth don't want them back in the studio.

c. They have donated to themselves to start things off.

d. The poor studio gofer who had to clean the wee off the carpet.

e. The gentleman who noticed that their daughter has no shoes.

f. Local tradesmen/shops who prefer to be paid in cash rather than swap services.

g. Any other idea?

2 hours ago, MyMilkshake said:

Dogs will chew off the umbilical cord and eat the afterbirth too. But considering my own dog will eat cat poop and roll on dead things if given a chance , I'm not convinced we should do things just because other animals do.

The arguments for humans behaving strictly like the other primates or, perhaps, canines, are specious, and most people learn there's little to no benefit in taking them seriously for long, and occasionally that there can be some harm involved.

If people want to eat the placenta, I mean, go for it. Just—it isn't most correct because it's done in all the best tree neighborhoods in Borneo. And they most certainly do not carry it around in a bag.

5 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

The arguments for humans behaving strictly like the other primates or, perhaps, canines, are specious, and most people learn there's little to no benefit in taking them seriously for long, and occasionally that there can be some harm involved.

If people want to eat the placenta, I mean, go for it. Just—it isn't most correct because it's done in all the best tree neighborhoods in Borneo. And they most certainly do not carry it around in a bag.

I wonder who had to hold the placenta on the ride home?  Maybe it had it's own car seat. 

All snarking aside, I have read that there are some beneficial nutrients in the placenta and people will take it in pill form sometimes ( which sounds better to me than soup or a smoothie). Not for me, but whatever.
But that Lotus Birth where they wait for the umbilical cord and placenta  to rot off of the baby is really fucking gross imo. No amount of salt and rose petals is going to lessen the grossness.

@MyMilkshake for a split second I thought you meant the singer Adele and was SUPER confused.  I guess my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.  Lol.

Part of me wonders if there's always been crazies like this in the world, and the Internet gives them a platform, or if this is an advent of the Internet thing.  (To clarify- I mean people who make the choice to live like the Nauglers and the Allens, not people who live in abject poverty and try to do their best with what little they have)

These people the more I read about them the more angry I get. Britain has the NHS so use it it's free for the most part. No excuse for at least one of them working and the other one teaching the kids at least the basics they need. Want to move to Costa Rica save up for it yourselves.

As much as they gross me out that site is grossing me out plenty on its own.  Hey, who wants to fund my holiday to the Bahamas people??  I'll be like saving the dolphins or some nonsense.  Or going to Slovenia on a mission trip because those poor souls have never heard of God (as proven by the picture of a church there and that there are only 1200 evagilicals (or some similar misspelt  form)).  I'm sure it can be useful in some ways but SO SO SO many of the ones I looked at were such outright, self-absorbed grifters.

Archived