IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, uber frau said:

Is that the one married to the Morton g'parent?

No, that was Cap'n Brett's mother, Alma Smith, who married Jeanine Morton's father Dr. Jerome C. Cox.

I think someone needs to deliver dear Grandma one very simple wake up call. It's not about her. 

She doesn't have the luxury of being embarrassed. What she does have is the luxury of choice. Which the victims weren't afforded. She can choose to support the victims or she can choose to support the abuser. It's that simple. 

She can support innocent victims without turning her back on her Grandson. Here's the thing though, he also had a choice. Something he didn't give his victims. 

I don't believe her denial comes from a religious place. Her denial comes from fear.  

I also don't think it's fair to assume that the entire Smith family feels similarly to her. Or that the Morton's feel differently. We're all just internet bystanders picking apart these peoples lives. I'm guilty of it. 

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

At least one of her grandchildren liked her post about it being a scam. 

Last name was triplet I think. Attractive blond woman with sunglasses. Has a little girl.

Also, no mention of newest great grand child. Her posts are all about cooking and family with a sprinkling of Jesus. She gushes over all the other children.

Dianna Triplett is Scarlett's oldest daughter. 

If I had this happen in my family I wouldn't post about it on Facebook or any public media. Infact, something similar did happen in dh's family, though it was teacher/teen student. No one posted anything on public media that I'm aware. It didn't mean at all that the family wasn't supporting the wife and 3 kids, or that anyone was in denial. It's just not the kind of thing you share publicly, even when it's in the paper and everyone knows. "Hey did you hear what my cousins husband did?" I wouldn't have started a go fund me either though, so there is that. But I don't think silence on blogs or social media means anything at all. Grandma on the other hand...

John (one of the last unmarried Morton boys) posted a beautiful picture of Katie on his IG. The caption says: "One of the most amazing woman of all times!" A lot of people support her in the comments section.

The people supporing her include Madura (sp?) and Bethany Smith. Capn Bret might not be convinced but his daughters seem to be.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to post about the situation on social media.

But, the Morton's have been sharing more the past week than they have in the past year, it seems. They are clearly and obviously making it known - intentionally- they are behind their sister.

The Smiths aren't sharing anything, which is absolutely fine/good/not a problem/whatever. I don't know that anyone would expect them to or demand it and I can guarantee if something like this were happening in my family I would not be sharing it. What some of them (ahem, Granny Scarlette) are sharing though doesn't make any of them look good. Someone needs to tell Granny to get with the program.

The family has every right to say absolutely nothing, and it's probably the wisest thing to do. I just hope Granny doesn't blow it for them. As much as I despise the Smiths, this is their family and they have the right to deal as they choose - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I think the fact that many question their silence is indicative of their usual way of life - shout to the world how wrong we all are while the Smiths are the epitome of Christian perfection. Silence from them on anything is unusual, and they don't give a shit about hurting anyone else. It's simply unusual behavior for them.

But, it's also an unusual situation.

so here is a question. . .if you are convicted of sexual crimes against children, and you get out of jail, are you permitted to go live with your family, when there are children there?   Either your own children or relatives children?

I thought that they could not live by a elementary school , but I wonder how it is for the above situation.  

Thank you for clarifying answers to this in advance.  

My feelings in advance are that they should not be able to.  

Hold on a second. I think that Grandma Scarlett has been accused, perhaps unfairly, of having a less than honorable response to the situation with Alan. I had only seen her original post, which I quote:

There has been a scam put on my FaceBook with a Go Fund Me ad... Please do not give any money to this request...it is a scam.. I did delete it but they may have gotten your name from a list of family friends..so be on the lookout..just delete.

With all the Grandma-bashing, I assumed she had posted further about the accusation itself being false. She hasn't. The way I read this original post -- and the way I still read it -- is that an old lady who isn't very good at Facebook saw something she thought was a fraudulent scheme, like a family member whose Facebook was hacked with posts and messages about being somewhere and needing money sent to help them get home.

There's no indication she clicked on the GoFundMe page, read the linked news article, or understood what it was about. She calls it an "ad" and a "scam". Her list of Facebook friends is not public; I would guess she's not friends with all of the Morton extended family, but that Michael's post about the GoFundMe or some other reference to it showed up in her newsfeed because someone she is friends with "liked" it or shared it. I think it is more than possible that she was confused and thought it was a money scam, because no one had told her what was going on -- at least, not at that point. 

We know that Jacqueline deleted her Facebook account before all of this broke. It's also clear that unlike many of the Mortons, the Smiths have not been vocal about what's going on over social media. I think The Smiths' silence is understandable, and I think it's likely nobody wanted to be the one to tip off Grandma that they raised an (alleged) monster of a son.

I'm not ruling out willful ignorance. I just thought this perspective was worth considering, rather than focusing on her supposed defense of Alan, which is not a position we have any proof that she has taken.

9 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

so here is a question. . .if you are convicted of sexual crimes against children, and you get out of jail, are you permitted to go live with your family, when there are children there?   Either your own children or relatives children?

I thought that they could not live by a elementary school , but I wonder how it is for the above situation.  

Thank you for clarifying answers to this in advance.  

My feelings in advance are that they should not be able to.  

It depends on the state, the recommendations of the various professional involved (probation/parole, psych providers), and the full situation.

If you search for "Sitler" on this site, you will find stories about a grotesque and frightening situation where an abuser is now living with his infant son.

It's very situation-dependent; we cannot say for certain what would happen.

Imma gonna give granny a pass here, for a short time at least. This is one helluva shocking accusation to hear against anyone you know and love, and I'd think that denial would be a very normal response. At least that's the way I reacted at first. I did not trumpet my denial all over social media, but I did deny it all to friends and loved ones who knew about it. Yes, I had to retract the denials when it became clear that he had indeed done what the accusers said. 

I don't know how old granny is or how she's related, but I hope that she can come to the conclusion that the victims need love and support, and Katie and her family will need financial and loving support as well.

It looks like someone just clarified it on it not Being an ad or a scam for grandma Scarlett though.  As much as I don't agree with the Smith's way of life, I'm sorry that they're having to deal with this. No family should have to deal with this, no matter who you are. 

2 minutes ago, Newtothis said:

It looks like someone just clarified it on it not Being an ad or a scam for grandma Scarlett though.  As much as I don't agree with the Smith's way of life, I'm sorry that they're having to deal with this. No family should have to deal with this, no matter who you are. 

Yes, I saw that this morning. If my theory is right, I think she has now known for a few days -- she hasn't posted since, and she previously was posting various memes and videos and things almost every day.

On Monday, August 01, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Newtothis said:

That's neat. Glad to hear that they were nothing like them.  Was this back in the Smith home church days?  I remember blog posts from the Smith's blog way back then and it seemed like the Lanes weren't totally "in to it" like the S'mortons were.

I just realized I never replied to you about when I met the Antonin family . Sorry.

But it was during their days at the home church. They were really nice people. 

59 minutes ago, MamaB said:

Beth Lanes sisters in law commented on Scarletts post saying it is not a scam and it's true so she doesn't have to worry.

Oh well I think an average person would worry more about it being true than about it being a scam.

8 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh well I think an average person would worry more about it being true than about it being a scam.

The average person yes. These are no average people.lol.

Just unfortunate phrasing I hope

They have reached the gfm goal now, 35 people donated.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived