IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

I am sick to my stomach. They think it's just one child (over a THREE year period) after dozens of children from the Morton compound were interviewed. But they are also notifying authorities in Ashburn, the other town where Alan and Katie lived, in a fixer upper that Captain Bret and Jacqueline were planning on moving to...

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/man-accused-of-incest-other-sex-crimes/article_2319ac58-5388-11e6-bae2-57376db5cc29.html

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am speechless. This is just sick. Cap'n Bret must be shitting bricks, watching his social experiment fail even more spectacularly than the Duggars'. If this is all true, I hope he has fun in jail, and by "fun," I mean living with the general population and all that entails. 

Holy Moses. Isn't Katie about to have another baby? I wonder if the family in Paraguay will come back to help her out. 

I'm so disgusted. 

Who was he married too and what kids did they have?

i know of the Mortons but not the Smortons?

Alan Smith married Katie Morton in 2006 and they have 7 (I think?) kids. Katie is pregnant and due soon. 

19 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I'm so disgusted. 

Who was he married too and what kids did they have?

i know of the Mortons but not the Smortons?

S'mortons= Smith + Mortons

The two families tend to marry each other a lot.

Oh yeah the Renaissance wedding? I think I was new to FJ when it was on. 

Poor Katie. I hope she and the victim are safe. 

Horrifying. I'm not really sure what else to say, except that *this* is what all those good old fundie values have wrought.

I have so many questions. How did the authorities find out? Who told them? Is Katie sticking by her man or protecting her children? How is the extended family handling it? Where is Katie staying now? What kind of care and support will their abused child get? This is so tragic. Although I know child molesters come from all walks of life, the fundie lifestyle of shame and secrecy around sex, family isolation, and extreme father/husband unquestioned authority seems like it would create or attract rapists and child molesters. 

Does anyone really think this will bring any change of thinking? Pas S'morton (& Co) will write it off as a mere abberation, nothing to do with the fucked up system they live in. And the interfering government should just keep away.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherMaiden said:

I am sick to my stomach. They think it's just one child (over a THREE year period) after dozens of children from the Morton compound were interviewed. But they are also notifying authorities in Ashburn, the other town where Alan and Katie lived, in a fixer upper that Captain Bret and Jacqueline were planning on moving to...

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/man-accused-of-incest-other-sex-crimes/article_2319ac58-5388-11e6-bae2-57376db5cc29.html

I'm just sick. I wish I could say I was shocked, but I'm not. And there may be other victims, but they were whisked off to South America, where they can't be interviewed.

This is beyond horrific. If Katie was unaware of what was happening, my heart absolutely bleeds for her. Those poor children will now witness what happens when a woman who has been deprived of even the most basic means of supporting herself is left to fend for a huge family alone. There are mixed reports on whether she's still pregnant or not. I can't imagine a much worse situation to be in. 

Aren't the Morton seniors still in the US? If so, perhaps they can offer some support to Katie during this mess. It sickens me to read of any child molester, regardless of the relationship with the child. The fact that he was charged with incest and rape against a child in their home makes him the lowest of the low. Perhaps if the combined hubris of Captain Smith and Michael Morton would allow them to feel any sense of self-awareness, they may ask themselves what good their "bride price" and "maiden fair" sermons did to protect their children from respectively becoming and marrying a predator. 

As cloistered as the family is, I wonder how the authorities were even alerted to the situation? If a S'Morton family member noticed something and contacted the Big Bad Gubment on behalf of the child, I have newfound respect for the whole lot of them. 

Tip of the iceberg?  Honest to god I'm not shocked by this stuff any more.  It is all too common.  And a S'Morton? I can't be surprised.  Those families are so fucked.

Not shocked but horrified - yes.  

I hope I will always be horrified.

If Katie reported it, that's a pretty big step. Here's someone who was denied a formal education, raised not to ask questions and to worship all the men in her life. She was literally sold to this creep when she was basically a teenager, and wasn't she the one who was chastised for being too noisy and rebellious *while she was in labor*? In other words, she's been groomed to keep quiet in exactly this kind of situation. 

I have to imagine that the whole clan is pretty shaken up right now. Certainly at least a few of them are rethinking a lot of things. Kennedy and Andrew just brought their first child home to the family compound; what must be going through their minds?

Holy shit. Why am I stunned? This should not surprise me. What a jerk. 

Oh dear Lord, no. I wonder if this is part of the moves to Paraguay.

I doubt that Paraguay has anything to do with this. First of all, Katie and Alan's branch of the family have never indicated their intention to move. Only the elder Mortons with Addy, John, Edwin, and Paul, plus the Wesley/Rachel Morton family moved. Second, the FJ websleuths determined that the Mortons have been researching the move to Paraguay for at least 5 years, maybe longer. The abuse is alleged to have lasted for the past three years. If Paraguay has anything to do with this, I can't see the connection. 

This is horrific and sickening but, like @Palimpsest, I'm not shocked.

As an aid to discussion of who's who, here's the Mortons' 2014 Christmas card. Maybe add one child per family unit shown here (plus Kennedy & Andrew) since then, except for that of Morton pére? Of course, correct as needed.

PicMonkey Collag876finalEDITED8l9e.jpg

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. But not shocking in the least.

Also, I'm going to be very pessimistic and say that this isn't going to make anyone change their ways. If the Duggars are anything to go by, once Alan says he told Jesus he's sorry and won't do it again, they'll welcome him back. And they'll just tell the victim that it was his/her fault. And ostracize whomever squealed to the cops.

14 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, I'm going to be very pessimistic and say that this isn't going to make anyone change their ways. If the Duggars are anything to go by, once Alan says he told Jesus he's sorry and won't do it again, they'll welcome him back. And they'll just tell the victim that it was his/her fault. And ostracize whomever squealed to the cops.

Agree. It's a good thing that actual LEOs are involved as well as CPS  but that may not ultimately prevent the S'Mortons from doing vile stuff like making the victim(s) "forgive" the predator.

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

If Katie reported it, that's a pretty big step. Here's someone who was denied a formal education, raised not to ask questions and to worship all the men in her life. She was literally sold to this creep when she was basically a teenager, and wasn't she the one who was chastised for being too noisy and rebellious *while she was in labor*? In other words, she's been groomed to keep quiet in exactly this kind of situation. 

It seems as though it would have to have been a family member, if not Katie, since they spend about 99.9% of their time with only other S'Mortons. Whoever it was, if it was family, it took some courage.

How, exactly,is Katie supposed to support herself and her children without her headship? She's been brought up to be dumb and dependant and her parents and a lot of her family(who conveniently were also her church and her community/support network) have decided to emigrate.  Basically, she's been set up to fail. 

I'm wondering about the "other charges" that may come from giving the case over to authorities in Ashburn, GA. I didn't catch it on the first read-through, but the article states that information came to light during the investigation that would lead to potential future charges in that city as well. If the abuse was limited to one child, that would suggest that the abuse took place in more than one verifiable location.

In other news, Katie and Alan listed their home for sale last May, and have had two potential offers fall through since. The most recent was in April of this year. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived