IGNORED

Jinger Wedding Planning - Wedding Gifts Part 2

EmCatlyn

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I like the dresses with the matching curtains. That's a look I never would have imagined.

Well they had extra and wanted to make sure the bride and groom could remember their wedding for days to come! So they outfitted the windows with the same fabric. It's frugal, y'all!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Well they had extra and wanted to make sure the bride and groom could remember their wedding for days to come! So they outfitted the windows with the same fabric. It's frugal, y'all!

Nah, it's just what happens when Captain Von Trapp won't spring for play clothes for the children, er, bridesmaids. 

5 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Nah, it's just what happens when Captain Von Trapp won't spring for play clothes for the children, er, bridesmaids. 

Von Trapps and O'Hara's-- really, who doesn't turn curtains into clothes?

Scarlett-curtain-dress.jpg

And now I'm picturing that old Carol Burnett sketch where she plays Scarlett wearing the curtain dress complete with curain pole. My 8 year old self laughed and laughed. ...

4 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

And now I'm picturing that old Carol Burnett sketch where she plays Scarlett wearing the curtain dress complete with curain pole. My 8 year old self laughed and laughed. ...

I saw that sketch recently and still fell off the couch laughing. Classic. :GPn0zNK:

6 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Rhett:"That's a lovely dress, Scarlett."

Scarlett: "Thank you, I saw it on the window and I just couldn't resist."

(Quoting the sketch from memory. I laughed at the curtain-rod the first time, but it is the "saw it in the window" line that makes me giggle now.)

On 7/26/2016 at 10:36 PM, Nashville92 said:

I've finally seen a dress more hideous than the silver monstrosity she wire to Jill's wedding

I think she lost a bet

How could we forget our very own Tool?? Credit for photo is not mine- I just google searched and it came up on a previous thread, posted by @hoipolloi.

DANG!! Those dresses!!

image.jpeg

On 7/28/2016 at 2:35 PM, HereticHick said:

I'm kinda digging the yellow velvet empire waisted ensembles.  And the flesh is all covered up!

I keep trying to like those. I really hate the wedding dress. But lose the hair bows, the collars, and choose a flower color that doesn't melt into the fabric, I guess I'm kind of into the concept.

On 7/28/2016 at 2:54 PM, sophie10130 said:

I can't quite decide if they are in fact the exact same fabric or just a super close match. Nor am I sure which option is more disturbing.

I think the fabric is different, in which case I would have posed them somewhere else. Unless, of  purse, they did it as a joke.

Why does the velvet curtain dress have different sleeves? One is huge with excess fabric dripping and the other sleeve is more fitted past the elbow. With how thick the fabric is, it doesn't look like it is just the angle. Was that ever a style?

On July 28, 2016 at 0:21 PM, Gossamer1 said:

This one might be a better choice than the hot little floral number above. There's nothing showing but their faces.

ugly-4.jpg

What's that thing on the little girls head?

5 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I have no idea! One thing I just noticed when I zoomed in though is that each of the bridesmaids has shoes and gloves to match the giant flower each one is carrying.  

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

Perfect way to ensure that NO ONE outshines the bride.

3 hours ago, McDoodleDoodleDoo said:

Why does the velvet curtain dress have different sleeves? One is huge with excess fabric dripping and the other sleeve is more fitted past the elbow. With how thick the fabric is, it doesn't look like it is just the angle. Was that ever a style?

If you mean the Scarlett O'Hara dress, the two sleeves are indeed different. It was  a "style" in the 1930s and 40s.  I have a picture of my great-aunt around 1935 in an outfit with one sleeve fitted and the other loose to suggest a sort of cape over one shoulder. 

I am not sure it was accurate to the period it meant to portray.  The dress designer for GWTW supposedly did a lot of research, so the style may have been around, but I have never seen a fashion plate or book illustration from the 1850s -1870s that included mismatched sleeves like that.

Maybe someone who knows more about the history of fashion can chime in. 

On 7/28/2016 at 5:21 PM, Gossamer1 said:

This one might be a better choice than the hot little floral number above. There's nothing showing but their faces.

ugly-4.jpg

What did those bridesmaids do to the bride to deserve those dresses?

The one immediately to the left of the bride, with the purple gloves, looks so much like me at that age that I immediately went to my scrapbooks to make sure I was never in that wedding. For sure, I'd have had that same expression on my face! The 70s sure have a lot to answer for!!

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

What did those bridesmaids do to the bride to deserve those dresses?

i was a flower girl way back in 1970 and the maids and i wore flowered dresses and hats just like those...except they were all different colors...i think mine was yellow...yup, it was as atrocious as you're imagining  :my_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

The bride looks as though she is standing in a hedge of flowers.

I thought she was standing in front of the worlds ugliest couch. 

I have some suggestions for bridesmaids dresses, following on with the fall theme!

TM1591.jpg

Gorgeous!! So modest!!! Suitable for pregnant bridesmaids! Feel free to use Ginger!

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I thought she was standing in front of the worlds ugliest couch. 

My parents owned a couch that looked just like that. We rented a house and the carpet was a different, clashing orange floral. Yes, it was bad, very bad. :puke-front:

3 hours ago, Teacup said:

I have some suggestions for bridesmaids dresses, following on with the fall theme!

TM1591.jpg

Gorgeous!! So modest!!! Suitable for pregnant bridesmaids! Feel free to use Ginger!

The gown is lovely and tasteful. The model's expression says 'I'm a right bitch who will slit your throat as you climax'. 

Archived