IGNORED

Mormon family raises children on boat in the Caribbean

lilwriter85

From Deseret News. This family seems to have planned out things well. Reading this article made me wonder if any non-Mormon fundies would try something like. I wonder if John Schrader or David Rodrigues would get a begging bowl for a boat.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865658005/Mormon-family-raises-children-on-boat-in-the-Caribbean.html?pg=all

In many ways, this is no different than what many of our RV fundies do - just maybe a tad cooler (because OCEAN!).  Some families can excel at this kind of lifestyle, and others fail.  If J-Rod and crew ever traded in their RV for a ship I predict great disaster!

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

In many ways, this is no different than what many of our RV fundies do - just maybe a tad cooler (because OCEAN!).  Some families can excel at this kind of lifestyle, and others fail.  If J-Rod and crew ever traded in their RV for a ship I predict great disaster!

Sit right down & hear a tale

a tale of a grifted ship

full of baby cages & assorted crap

for a cluttered ministry tour (a cluttered ministry tourrrrr)

(with apologies for whomever wrote the theme to Gilligan's Island & Weird Al, whom I'm trying to poorly imitate)

Good fro the Prowes!  It seems the they did things the right way.  You can get into a lot of trouble on the ocean if you don't know what you're doing and you're not willing to work hard.

I love how the family took their motto from Mark Twain!.  I can't throw off the bowlines myself, but I'd love to sail more:  summers spent sailing on an Adirondacks lake or adopting a cruising lifestyle.

2 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Oh my God. The very idea...

"We've just been through a SEVERE storm. My babies were SEVERELY seasick. Putting on my green eyeliner was much harder than usual."

This family seems competent, realistic and hard working. The dad learned to sail in New Zealand, which is pretty serious sailing. He obviously knew his way around boats long before they went on their cruise. He also worked while they were cruising, at real jobs that paid real money. Their children not only survived, they went on to missions and college.

I think they were doing it wrong.

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Oh my God. The very idea...

"We've just been through a SEVERE storm. My babies were SEVERELY seasick. Putting on my green eyeliner was much harder than usual."

Yeah, our fundies could never handle such a life.  With no internet who would know how hard they have it?  How would they tell people how BLESSED they are?  How would they god bother people if they are alone at sea?

Not my cup of tea, but it seems like this family went about it fairly realistically and actually had the ability and drive to support themselves financially during it. 

Very different from all the family grifting "missions" we read about on FJ. No Kickstarter/GoFundMe/whatever in the 90's, so that probably kept trips like these to more grounded families! ;) 

The Prows family (and what a great name for a family that sets sail) may not have had the advantage of the numerous internet forums about family cruising or cruising on the cheap, but they did have the books of Lin and Larry Pardey, Herb and Nancy Payson, Hal and Margaret Roth, Eric and Susan Hiscock, and Mel(anie) and Tom Neale.

ETA, the writings of the Paysons and the Neales would be especially good since they cruised with their kids,  the Neales from birth and the Paysons had a fairly large blended brood (The Brady Bunch at sea!)

If the Nauglers weren't landlocked, you know they would've attempted this. No more humanure problems—just shove the white buckets overboard like depth charges! Dead critters? Burial at sea! Neighbors being looky-loos? Rev up the engine and motor away! They'd only be limited by the range of the nearest wifi so Nicole can post about the trolls and haters.

4 minutes ago, EscapedCardinal said:

If the Nauglers weren't landlocked, you know they would've attempted this. No more humanure problems—just shove the white buckets overboard like depth charges! Dead critters? Burial at sea! Neighbors being looky-loos? Rev up the engine and motor away! They'd only be limited by the range of the nearest wifi so Nicole can post about the trolls and haters.

If the Nauglers dumped untreated human waste into US waters, they'd be violating the law.  US territorial waters are "No Discharge" zones.  Even if you have a marine sanitation system that treats and macerates the sewage adequately, it's still illegal and you must go to a pump-out station to get your holding tanks pumped-out.

5 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Satan has been attacking us with immodestly dressed swimmers and beachgoers.

We have been praying to the Lord for fuel.

The children's current homeschool units are on "fishing" and "sunstroke".

55 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

If the Nauglers dumped untreated human waste into US waters, they'd be violating the law.  US territorial waters are "No Discharge" zones.  Even if you have a marine sanitation system that treats and macerates the sewage adequately, it's still illegal and you must go to a pump-out station to get your holding tanks pumped-out.

Right, but: Nauglers. I'm not sure that would stop them. More likely that somebody would call them out on it, they'd start claiming they're now disposing of it properly but never post photos of the holding tanks, and in the meantime drop hints about needing donations for sanitation upkeep.

33 minutes ago, EscapedCardinal said:

Right, but: Nauglers. I'm not sure that would stop them. More likely that somebody would call them out on it, they'd start claiming they're now disposing of it properly but never post photos of the holding tanks, and in the meantime drop hints about needing donations for sanitation upkeep.

That would be after Nicole's blog post about the "trolls and haters" who called them out on it.

Archived