IGNORED

My Big Fat Fabulous Life (Whitney Thore)

notfundy

Didn't see a thread for this show (it's on TLC, naturally).   Now in its third season.   My apologies if there IS a thread somewhere; I did a search and didn't see anything.  

I think the show was prompted/inspired by a video that went viral about 3 years ago entitled "Fat Girl Dancing"   ... here's a link to the original YouTube video.     The dancer, Whitney Thorn, also did a YouTube response to a "fat shaming" internet diatribe that I really liked (I liked the response, not the original fat shaming diatribe).    

Anyway, this is one of those occasional "guilty pleasure" shows for me... sorta fun to watch, etc.   At first I though she was rather inspiring (she has PCOS and experienced a rapid weight gain in college).   

However, a recent perusal of some reality TV message boards confirms my thinking that watchers of the show think she's become too "whiny" and less likable over the three seasons, and is overdoing it with the "fat can be healthy" message (since she has had some real health problems on the show recently).   Comments also abound that TLC is purposely showing her in a less-than-positive light this season... almost like they are LOOKING for a train wreck to occur (TLC?  NEVER........)

What say you,  Free Jinger-ites?  Anyone watching this one?   

Edited by notfundy

Thank you for making this thread, I had thought about creating one myself!

I watch regularly with interest because I was diagnosed with PCOS forty years ago and have had weight issues since puberty. 

My feeling are mixed. She is an extremely talented dancer whose natural career path was derailed because of weight, and that is sad. I so get her struggle with depression. I understand and agree with no body shaming. I love BGDC, her inclusiveness, and her parents!

I don't agree with her saying she wants to be fat. I have never wanted to be fat. It is possible to lose weight with PCOS. I know because I have done it (many times). I don't agree with minimizing the very real health risks that go along with obesity and morbid obesity (I think the risks of a few extra pounds are overstated, slender people get sick and die too).  I especially don't like that fake-ass relationship with Lennie. And she is definitely whining more this season.

So, I am not sure if her show is overall beneficial to the obese community or not. It may be helping the non obese become more sensitive to the human beings that are behind the fat. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I watch regularly with interest because I was diagnosed with PCOS forty years ago and have had weight issues since puberty. 

My feeling are mixed. She is an extremely talented dancer whose natural career path was derailed because of weight, and that is sad. I so get her struggle with depression. I understand and agree with no body shaming. I love BGDC, her inclusiveness, and her parents!

I don't agree with her saying she wants to be fat. I have never wanted to be fat. It is possible to lose weight with PCOS. I know because I have done it (many times). I don't agree with minimizing the very real health risks that go along with obesity and morbid obesity (I think the risks of a few extra pounds are overstated, slender people get sick and die too).  I especially don't like that fake-ass relationship with Lennie. And she is definitely whining more this season.

So, I am not sure if her show is overall beneficial to the obese community or not. It may be helping the non obese become more sensitive to the human beings that are behind the fat. 

Glad someone else is watching.  

On an entirely different non-philosophical  (read=very trivial)  level WHY does Whitney's boyfriend Lenny (Lennie?) ALWAYS wear that hat, even indoors and at events where he probably should take it off?  In the one scene where they are shown waking up in bed (in Whitney's room, season three) he even is wearing a hat THERE!   IN BED!  WHILE SLEEPING!  Or he has the covers pulled up in a weird way.....

... speculation on other message boards that he is a paid actor (paid to act as Whit's boyfriend.)  Hmmm??? 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Totally agree with this. I have PCOS, I was diagnosed at 16 when it became apparent that menses was not going to follow the Jessica Rabbit body I had been given at 11.  PCOS might be the reason she GAINED the weight, but it is not the reason she STAYS overweight (I promise I'm not fat shaming). I get really tired of having to defend my diagnosis to others (up to and including the nurses at my GYN office) when they respond with, "but you're not fat, you can't have PCOS"; which was actually said to me by a nurse practitioner in the ED once when I had a prolapsed Fallopian tube (due to PCOS).  It's not easy to keep my weight under control but it certainly helps with the PCOS symptoms under control.

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed the show in the first season but only rarely tune in now.  I liked her in the beginning, but now she kind of annoys me.  She has some very real health concerns and the people that love her are worried, she seems to find that annoying (in the few episodes I've seen).  I love her mother, though!

• Upvote 2

Just another TLC freak factor show. Sorry, but it is. I'm not saying Whitney is a freak, because she isn't. I'm talking about TLC's motives.

• Upvote 2

My newest guilty pleasure. I don't remember how I got sucked in but I watched all of seasons 1 and 2 on DVR over Memorial Day weekend.

I've also roped my husband into watching it too, and he commented last week that Whitney is becoming the "villain" of her own show. It's kind of true, she brushes off concern and advice from well-meaning friends and family, she treated one of her dance students like dirt for getting her dance group together to dance while she herself was out because of her ER visit. (When I thought the whole purpose of her Big Girl Dance class was to encourage other women to get active and feel comfortable in her own skin.) She completely berated her Dad when he brought her healthy groceries in a recent episode. He'd bought her some small containers for storing healthy portions and she threw a hissy fit about it while he stood there with a sad look on his face. She gets out of confrontations by storming off and crying. (This weeks episode when her trainer asked how her nutrition had been that week she pretty much accused him of fat shaming her, but it's kind of his job to inquire about her habits...)

It also bugs the hell out of me for some reason when she calls her roommate "Boo Bear."

I think her parents are adorable. They broke my heart at that fake funeral/intervention they did for her.

In a nutshell, I just think she's kind of a jerk. And yet I can't stop watching.

• Upvote 10

33 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Just another TLC freak factor show. Sorry, but it is. I'm not saying Whitney is a freak, because she isn't. I'm talking about TLC's motives.

I am bothered that there seems to be an element of exploitation present, but apparently Whitney doesn't see it that way.

• Upvote 3

Reading Whitney Way Thore book added a lot of detail to her story.  There is her personal story, but also more background on how she views being body positive.  

My impression is that she would like to be healthy, and being at a healthy weight is part of that package of struggles.   I think her intended message is to do the best with what you have, and be accepting and body positive with others.  (And be realistic about what we can do and what is possible)

Her message does get mashed up in the reality TV series - and it can be confusing - but the book brought an added dimension that drew me back to the show.  

Edited by AnnC
  • Upvote 4

I love her mother. She seems like a truly wonderful person and would be a fun neighbor to have nearby.

I also like Whitney, and her "No Body Shame" message. The "No BS" message is different from healthy vs. not healthy issues. I don't think Whitney claims to be a health expert. When she says she loves her body, I wonder if part of that is her size has contributed to her success. As much as she is an amazing person, she would not have this level of success if she were an average weight.

• Upvote 1

Whitney would have great success as a dancer if she was average size. She is very talented.

Mom and dad and the gay friends could carry their own show. And if Lennie had worn that ratty black hat to my parent's  70th birthday party...grrr.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody watch last night? Whitney broke up with Lennie. I never quite believed their relationship was real, the acting is so terrible. Lennie was such a bore anyway.

Edited by SilverBeach

I watched Lennie and his stupid hat get kicked to the curb. I agree the whole thing seemed a little fake, it was hella awkward to watch. If I was Whitney I would have dumped Lennie way back when he showed up to her parents' country club birthday celebration wearing that dumb hat and dressed for landscaping.

• Upvote 3

@Screamapillar, yes, he would have been gone after the parents birthday dinner. I will not miss that ratty hat. 

She did good with the ballroom dancing, I thought she looked nice too.

But she will not lose weight until she really, really wants to and she doesn't want to at this point in time. No amount of harassment will change her mindset. Its OK by me, just own it and say I am not changing my eating habits y'all , leave me alone.

I've been bummed that this season hasn't focused as much on her parents. I love them!

Lenny was just not that into her so I'm glad she ended it.

So glad to see her do well in the dancing contest. 

Does anyone know how much younger than Whitney her co-worker is?  She seemed to write him off as "too young" but she also seemed happy and surprised that he brought her a flower bouquet.

Buddy didn't like Lenny. Buddy definitely cares about Whitney and I sometimes wonder if something is there between the 2 of them. I know they've said there was something in the past but no longer, but still...

• Upvote 1

What did you guys think about the whole ballroom dance thing? Frankly I was a little surprised that they did as well as the did. Of course we really didn't see the other couples do their routines.

It seems like both Whitney and best friend/roommate Buddie have really gained weight from last season to this one. And Whitney's gotten soooooo weepy!

There's a "reunion" clip up on the TLC site. Anyone see? Two big observations: Whitney wears a very unflattering dress AND Lennie returns after the breakup.

Oh...a 3rd thing: the bitchy skinny comedian returns and Whit walks off the set.

Buddy and Whit have a "it's complicated" relationship. She definitely seems more weepy this season. That "comedian", I wanted to throat punch her. 

On 8/4/2016 at 7:17 PM, CrazyCatLady said:

I've been bummed that this season hasn't focused as much on her parents. I love them!

Lenny was just not that into her so I'm glad she ended it.

I wonder if Lennie could be into anybody. The parents are far more watchable than he ever was. He seemed odd from the start.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad she finally broke up with Lenny, since it was obvious he wasn't that into her, and probably isn't that into anybody, regardless of their size. I'm also one who wishes they showed more of her parents this season, as I love watching them.

• Upvote 1

Whitney has obviously had an eating disorder long before the diagnosis of PCOS which was when she was in college. There is an interview or paragraph in her book where she said her weight had fluctuated between 110 and 130 pounds in high school,  When she bought the swimming suit she said she hadn't been to the beach in about 20 years because she was self conscious which would put her at around 10 years old. Admittedly she may have been underweight at that point but I think she would have cited the lowest weight.

And don't get me started about her No BS campaign. Has no one pointed out to her that she rather gleefully points out other's body issues? I truly do not understand how her friends can be the butt of her jokes and yet remain close to her.

Yeah, I admit I am not a fan. I am looking forward to tonight's episode. And I must have the best boyfriend in the world. I tortured him by watching last week's episode while he was in the room and he snarked right along - spontaneously at that.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whit could have worked it out with Lennie. Agree that he would respond to texts within 15 minutes or so, would not go MIA, etc. He isnt the first guy to need less contact, but he loves her and my experience is that a guy will adapt if he sees how unhappy you are. I think the breakup was more about her proving her personal growth in this area. Plus, she has a backup guy at the radio station. 

The unfunny comedian? On the couch, she mentioned frequently being called skinny. That was glossed over, but I thought no BS worked both ways. She was really piled on, but there is some pain under all the snark.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

The unfunny comedian? On the couch, she mentioned frequently being called skinny. That was glossed over, but I thought no BS worked both ways. She was really piled on, but there is some pain under all the snark.

Oh, man. Kerryn Feehan gets under my skin. She's incredibly annoying and I think she genuinely hates overweight people. I think she struggled terribly with alcohol and to some extent, she wants fat people to struggle too. She made some decent points on the reunion, but decided to get combative and throw insults instead of having a heart-to-heart talk.

Whitney does make excuses. She has the ability to lose weight, she lost a lot with her trainer, but she doesn't have the drive anymore. She didn't follow his directions about the food and when someone brings up the legit idea that being overweight causes serious problems, she ignores it.

Lennie was weird. He seemed so nonchalant but at times, he was supportive. I don't get his deal. Babs is awesome, Glenn is adorable, and Whitney's friends seemed funny and nice.

• Upvote 3

Whitney is crusin' up denial river about the impact of weight on her life and health. I too have PCOS. I too have struggled all my life and continue to struggle with my weight. And I get not hating yourself because of fat. But to say you like being morbidly obese? I can tell you there's nothing to like about it. She is fooling herself. I am still obese but not morbidly so (I was on my way there but said hell no the denial cruise is over). So, I know it can be done, PCOS or not.

The comedian has issues, she's an obnoxious dry drunk. Lennie has been weird from day one, I never heard him talk until recently. Forget him being MIA, the ratty hat would have been enough for me to kick him to the curb.

Nonetheless, I'm rooting for Whit. She is an amazing dancer and is both pretty and funny. More than a trainer, she needs intensive therapy. Lots of unresolved issues are hiding under the fat.

• Upvote 6

On 8/21/2016 at 0:26 AM, SilverBeach said:

Whitney is crusin' up denial river about the impact of weight on her life and health. I too have PCOS. I too have struggled all my life and continue to struggle with my weight. And I get not hating yourself because of fat. But to say you like being morbidly obese? I can tell you there's nothing to like about it. She is fooling herself. I am still obese but not morbidly so (I was on my way there but said hell no the denial cruise is over). So, I know it can be done, PCOS or not.

The comedian has issues, she's an obnoxious dry drunk. Lennie has been weird from day one, I never heard him talk until recently. Forget him being MIA, the ratty hat would have been enough for me to kick him to the curb.

Nonetheless, I'm rooting for Whit. She is an amazing dancer and is both pretty and funny. More than a trainer, she needs intensive therapy. Lots of unresolved issues are hiding under the fat.

Whitney is in so much denial. When I found out how much my cholesterol was, I cut back on fried foods and a lot of other stuff I ate. Plus I ended up having gallbladder removal surgery. I admit I'm overweight but I'm trying. I know for a fact that I should eat a salad instead of deep fried chicken. As my doctor said, take Beano, eat that damn salad, and you won't be bloated. So that's what I do. I'm just glad I'm not in denial anymore. 

• Upvote 5

And the interesting thing about eating clean (skipping salt, sugar, and refined carbs) is that if you give your body real  food that is high in micronutrients real hunger will disappear. (Emotional cravings not so much.)  I am not an emotional eater but when I am overtired or wired and need a rest I go for the bad stuff because it knocks me out and I can have a deep sleep. Yes, I recognize I am self medicating with Breyers.

• Upvote 2