IGNORED

Woman who was driving while praying with her eyes closed hits house

doggie

I know the bible says to "pray unceasingly", but I don't think it meant that you were supposed to have your eyes closed all the time.

Wow. Talk about hitting close to home. My Aunt lives on this street and I had to look up her house number because this one looked very similar luckily it wasn't her. Got to call her tomorrow now. 

I have always tried to get the hell away from cars with those Jesus fish, "God is my co-pilot" and "God is my pilot" bumper stickers. This story just provides me with confirmation bias.

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I know the bible says to "pray unceasingly", but I don't think it meant that you were supposed to have your eyes closed all the time.

Not sure that it says to close them at all.

Anyhow, this story was stupid enough to make it onto Feed Dump!

Though it was quickly derailed by P-GO.

@CyborgKin,  I don't think that Jews tend to close their eyes at all when they are at prayer.  At least, it's not traditional.  Would any Jews here correct me if I'm wrong about that?

47 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@CyborgKin,  I don't think that Jews tend to close their eyes at all when they are at prayer.  At least, it's not traditional.  Would any Jews here correct me if I'm wrong about that?

Catholics don't close their eyes too often. I remember some Sunday School teacher at some small town church when I was a kid (we lived in a lot of small towns) telling us that Catholics don't close their eyes because they don't really believe in praying so they aren't really doing it by keeping their eyes open, or some such illogical nonsense. 

Anyone remember that Six Feet Under  rapture death episode where the body of the week died because she thought floating sex dolls where signs of the rapture ?

50 minutes ago, hasunah said:

Anyone remember that Six Feet Under  rapture death episode where the body of the week died because she thought floating sex dolls where signs of the rapture ?

I don't know how the writers came up with those deaths. They had an imagination, for sure

On 16/07/2016 at 8:18 PM, hasunah said:

This requires explanation.

For the love of God, please tell me more!!!!   :dramallama-nanner:

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, louisa05 said:

Catholics don't close their eyes too often. I remember some Sunday School teacher at some small town church when I was a kid (we lived in a lot of small towns) telling us that Catholics don't close their eyes because they don't really believe in praying so they aren't really doing it by keeping their eyes open, or some such illogical nonsense. 

OMG that is hilarious and sad all at the same time. Catholics pray with eyes open or shut. nobody is shunned, damned or looked down upon for doing either. Sometimes they even pray standing, kneeling, sitting, head down, head up, in a car (with eyes open if driving), in a boat, on a plane (hell everyone prays if there is too much turbulence!) .... well you get the picture ...

On 7/15/2016 at 0:37 PM, Crocoduck said:

I have always tried to get the hell away from cars with those Jesus fish, "God is my co-pilot" and "God is my pilot" bumper stickers. This story just provides me with confirmation bias.

Same here. I do, however, follow  those cars with the "In the event of rapture this car will be driverless" bumper stickers because I need a new car.

28 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

OMG that is hilarious and sad all at the same time. Catholics pray with eyes open or shut. nobody is shunned, damned or looked down upon for doing either. Sometimes they even pray standing, kneeling, sitting, head down, head up, in a car (with eyes open if driving), in a boat, on a plane (hell everyone prays if there is too much turbulence!) .... well you get the picture ...

I know. I went to Catholic school and converted. 

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

I know. I went to Catholic school and converted. 

sorry - should have been more general. I know there a lot of Catholics and former Catholics on here. I was responding more in general to the idiot teacher (and others like him/her) that said Catholics don't believe in prayer and thus pray with eyes open.

On July 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM, samira_catlover said:

You know, I've never understood why all those religious statuettes for the dashboard were looking towards the trunk of the car.

If I'm gonna use St. Christopher (although he got recalled by the Vatican, IIRC) or Jesus or the Blessed Virgin as a co-pilot, it's EYES FRONT! Need all the help possible! (especially when in DC, which is a nightmare for driving and navigating)

Don't even get me started on the nightmare-ish hell that is driving in DC. Hell isn't burning in eternal flame, it's being eternally stuck in DC traffic.

On July 16, 2016 at 1:53 PM, PennySycamore said:

We generally keep our eyes open. Only certain prayers call for closing our eyes (mainly the shema). Sometimes people will close their eyes when davening (which is basically being in touch with Gd during silent portions of prayer in shul).

I think this thread calls for a little music.

8 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Don't even get me started on the nightmare-ish hell that is driving in DC. Hell isn't burning in eternal flame, it's being eternally stuck in DC traffic.

You're probably aware of the 20-mile-long parking lot that is called I-95....

4 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

You're probably aware of the 20-mile-long parking lot that is called I-95....

Haha yup. 

Why must traffic be so shitty? And why must people be so awful drivers? 

12 hours ago, hasunah said:

:ENVOUTER:  In fairness to that lady, I'd be pretty shocked by random floating sex dolls too.

Also, dudes, you couldn't put a tarp over them?!

Also, what were they filled with that they could float around like that?!  So many questions!!!

Thank you, hasunah!

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Haha yup. 

Why must traffic be so shitty? And why must people be so awful drivers? 

@samira_catlover

That is why I avoid 95 at all costs! I live North (way North) of the DC area. I used to have family in the VA DC metro area, we would drop in to VA from 81 and 66. When I visit family in the Richmond area- we drive in WVA (77 & how I am going to be so close to Jilly this Friday night) and across 64 same route we take to the coast of VA. I have been on 95 a couple times, the last time I sat on that parking lot (between Richmond and DC) for over an hour, I haven't been back on it since that time about 15 years ago!

As for going into DC from VA, I would much rather opt for the train. Holy, Hell traffic!

Archived