IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Geechee Girl

@HarryPotterFan, good for you! I'm glad you spoke up. I know people have different feelings about bringing this stuff to Facebook. I never used to post about these issues. Now, it's a different story. I want to spread awareness. I want to inspire people to at least consider these things. And one thing that's encouraging is, I've received numerous private messages from fb friends who tell me that they have learned from my posts. That means the world to me. 

On another note, the park I take the kids to play most days, is in a very affluent area of SF. Across the street is a coffee shop where officers tend to take their breaks at the same time we are there. I stand out quite a bit, as there is not much diversity. Anyway, kids ask about the police. I take them to say hello, get a sticker, etc. And I tell the kids about how the police are here to help us and keep us safe. Of course, telling a blue-eyed blonde, I'm probably being honest. But I always get a lump in my throat, because if the kids were Black, I'm not sure exactly what I would say, as I'm not the parent. 

Just to be clear, I am pro-law enforcement. I am anti police brutality and racial profiling. 

• Upvote 13

15 hours ago, iweartanktops said:

Just to be clear, I am pro-law enforcement. I am anti police brutality and racial profiling. 

Yep, this. I live maybe 20 minutes from one of the shootings that made national news. That neighborhood has a mix of yard signs. A bunch went up supoprting BLM after the shooting, followed by a round of people putting out signs that they support the police. It made me sad that people didn't understand you can support both, because it's not about black people vs. police. It's about making sure all members of our society are equally respected and as safe as possible. No one should be denied access to that, be it for their skin color, their mental health status or any other reason.

• Upvote 9

Fucking phenomenal in every way:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-girl-explained-blacklivesmatter-most-014131051.html

I really hope this young lady realizes her dream to become a lawyer one day - even better would be if she becomes a Judge (if that's what she wants). This is the type of passion and intelligence and eloquence we desperately need in the Courtroom. Anyone who watches this and STILL doesn't get it is beyond hope in my opinion. :clap:

ETA: I don't want to distract from the very serious stories regarding shootings. But I watched this abd felt strongly about sharing it here because this young lady was just so effective and passionate when explaining things. Thought you would all enjoy seeing her speak. 

@HarryPotterFanExcellent job! I get how tough it can be. I'm always concerned I'm going to say the wrong thing unintentionally or make things worse or that I'll speak over the black people participating in the conversation. 

I speak up more on social media though. Because I'm tired of the bullshit and the killings and feeling like my silence has contributed to it. And around Christmas time I spoke up in person as well, which was even harder - three former friends and I were hanging out with another guy and the topic of racial profiling came up. Three of them were talking over the other friend (who was the only black person present) and minimizing the fact that he's been pulled over for minor infractions before. I literally asked, "You do realize you're talking over him right now about an experience he actually went through?" And I backed him up when he stated that black people are more likely to be targeted than whites. 

Didn't make a bit of difference. But at least I spoke up when it mattered. I can at least hold my head high over that - even if the memory still makes my blood boil.

(And that young man is a far better person than I am. He's still friends with them despite all their differences regarding BLM and politics and morality in general. I gave up on them in August. Blocked their phone numbers and got rid of them from social media. Haven't heard from them in two months and it feels fantastic. :pb_lol:)

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 2

On an FB group for discussing issues in my community (which is highly diverse), someone was complaining about how, as a result of BLM, a local news story headline included that it was a white guy who was involved in a shooting with police, and BLM was... actually, that part wasn't clear. But then mentioned how if they had a "White Lives Matter" they would be called racist. I pointed out that, yes, they would, because there IS a White Lives Matter and it is literally a bunch of Neo-Nazis. They basically waved me off with "No, there's not.You're thinkg of the Klan." (As if there's only one white supremacy group in the US) Even when I posted the SPLC information. 

Disgusted that people like that are part of my community, but glad I made it clear it's not all of us and a few people did respond positively to my comments.

• Upvote 5

In the early hours of Friday morning, Reginald Thomas, a father of 8 and 1 on the way, died during an incident with Pasadena PD in his home. He was tased twice. His family says he was bipolar. Protests ensued rather quickly thanks to twitter. The investigation has turned over to LAPD.

http://abc7.com/news/man-dies-after-police-use-taser-during-struggle-in-pasadena/1533527/

This is the second man this week in southern CA with a mental illness to suffer a LE related death. There must be a better way to assist the sick without use of deadly force. Is there no training at all in this regard? No crisis team to evaluate and de-escalate these type of calls? 

• Upvote 2

If I remember correctly, less than 1/3 of police have crisis intervention training. Might have been as low as 10%. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Terrie said:

If I remember correctly, less than 1/3 of police have crisis intervention training. Might have been as low as 10%. 

That's terrifying and inexcusable. Crisis intervention training and education on mental illness should be mandatory. Education on the history of racism and what happens when police officers don't do their job to protect should also be mandatory.

In other news, a black teen is to stand trial for "stealing" a cartoon of milk. He was on the free lunch program, forgot to get milk when he was in line, so he ran back to get it. He's entitled to the damn milk and is now facing criminal charges.

How do you steal something that is free?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/middle-schooler-accused-of-stealing-65-cent-carton-of-milk-at-school-to-face-trial/2016/09/29/1b168478-850f-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html?0p19G=c

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On 10/1/2016 at 3:21 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

That's terrifying and inexcusable. Crisis intervention training and education on mental illness should be mandatory. Education on the history of racism and what happens when police officers don't do their job to protect should also be mandatory.

In other news, a black teen is to stand trial for "stealing" a cartoon of milk. He was on the free lunch program, forgot to get milk when he was in line, so he ran back to get it. He's entitled to the damn milk and is now facing criminal charges.

How do you steal something that is free?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/middle-schooler-accused-of-stealing-65-cent-carton-of-milk-at-school-to-face-trial/2016/09/29/1b168478-850f-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html?0p19G=c

I stole milk in elementary school all the time. What the fuck is this? This should be dealt with by school administration not the fucking police.

Fucking white supremacy. Fuck.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

On 10/1/2016 at 3:21 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Education on the history of racism and what happens when police officers don't do their job to protect should also be mandatory.

The problem is that racism is very tightly woven into the fabric of the police in this country.  

In the Southern states the development of American policing followed a different path. The genesis of the modern police organization in the South is the "Slave Patrol" (Platt 1982). The first formal slave patrol was created in the Carolina colonies in 1704 (Reichel 1992). Slave patrols had three primary functions: (1) to chase down, apprehend, and return to their owners, runaway slaves; (2) to provide a form of organized terror to deter slave revolts; and, (3) to maintain a form of discipline for slave-workers who were subject to summary justice, outside of the law, if they violated any plantation rules. Following the Civil War, these vigilante-style organizations evolved in modern Southern police departments primarily as a means of controlling freed slaves who were now laborers working in an agricultural caste system, and enforcing "Jim Crow" segregation laws, designed to deny freed slaves equal rights and access to the political system.

http://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook/history-policing-united-states-part-1 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

@VelociRapture before actually reading the link, I was ready to hear we got our own flavor. :my_blush: Tweet was still cool, tho. 

I was hoping for that, and that proceeds from the sale of that flavor would go to organizations fighting systematic racism.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

@VelociRapture before actually reading the link, I was ready to hear we got our own flavor. :my_blush: Tweet was still cool, tho. 

I'm still hoping it happens. They've made flavors for other movements before - like the LGBTQ rights movement. 

Just out of curiosity and for fun - what flavors would go well with BLM? Like, if Ben and Jerry asked you guys for input what would you say?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Just out of curiosity and for fun - what flavors would go well with BLM? Like, if Ben and Jerry asked you guys for input what would you say?

That's a tough one! I need to stew on this a bit. My first inclination is to say Black Cherry. It would jive with both "darker the cherry, sweeter the juice" or "once you go black.." Those are too cliché. We need something that represents our contribution to this country's culture. Perhaps something with a peanut butter base?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Geechee Girl said:

That's a tough one! I need to stew on this a bit. My first inclination is to say Black Cherry. It would jive with both "darker the cherry, sweeter the juice" or "once you go black.." Those are too cliché. We need something that represents our contribution to this country's culture. Perhaps something with a peanut butter base?

Ohhhh! That's a good idea with the peanut butter base! Great way to honor George Washington Carver (I'm pretty sure he worked a lot on multiple peanut products) and black history. 

Perhaps with some fudge ripple? I love peanut butter and chocolate. Soooooooo good! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2

BlackTwitta is e'rythang!  :clap:

I ain't picking no cotton candy

No justice, no peach

We shall overcrumb

He was unarmed dough

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

BlackTwitta is e'rythang!  :clap:

I ain't picking no cotton candy

No justice, no peach

We shall overcrumb

He was unarmed dough

No lie, I almost peed myself reading some of them. Like:

Plessy v. Fudgerson

Brownies v. Board of Education

Seriously, people are fucking creative!!!! Love it!

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

No lie, I almost peed myself reading some of them. Like:

Plessy v. Fudgerson

Brownies v. Board of Education

Seriously, people are fucking creative!!!! Love it!

Go Shawty, it's Sherbert Day"  is my personal favorite.

• Upvote 4

I'm leaning towards a yam/sweet potato pie flavor, but I don't have a clever name yet. I've had "She's a Bad Mama Jama" has been in my head all weekend because I'm going through a funk phase.

• Upvote 2

If it were sweet potato pie it needs a reference to someone's grandmother putting their foot in it.

• Upvote 1