IGNORED

Nathan 3: "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves . . . "

SpoonfulOSugar

In last night's episode they caught up with Nathan. He is basically living in the Philippines. He is an EMS, EMR, Firefighter and pilot who is getting his helicopter license. He is trying to help develop a 911 system in the Philippines that will require helicopter pilots to take people from one island to the next.  Gil said he's helping people with their needs there and being a missionary for their spiritual life.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

He is trying to help develop a 911 system in the Philippines that will require helicopter pilots to take people from one island to the next.

But according to Google they already have a 911 system. 

I guess they decided to leave out that Nathan does unlicensed dental work too. Did they happen to mention what organization he is with? I'm assuming he is with some group and didn't just fly down there on his own to do dental work. 

• Upvote 12

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan seems ambitious career wise. But he really is a jerk when it comes to womens fashions. Makes me think he would be the same about women's issues in general, but I could be wrong. On his last LIVE appearance, he basically said he thought it was ridiculous for women to care about a dress they will never be able to fit in again after the wedding. This was in response to either Josie or Carlin's wedding dress shopping. What exactly does that mean and why does he feel the need to publicize such ideas in regards to his sisters' weddings? 

Maybe he is bitter or something.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, clueliss said:

He was playing putt putt golf with. SiRen per Instagram 

Maybe it will be him courting Lauren’s sister?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

Maybe it will be him courting Lauren’s sister?

I hope not. He is 25 and she is 16 or 17, that's a bit too much.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 12

Fundamentalist wiki has her birth year at about 2002. So she turns 17 this year. If her birth year is actually 2001 she'll turn 18 this year. So she could totally be married off.

3 minutes ago, ophelia said:

Fundamentalist wiki has her birth year at about 2002. So she turns 17 this year. If her birth year is actually 2001 she'll turn 18 this year. So she could totally be married off.

She could, but an 8 or 9 year difference is a lot at that age. I don't think we have seen such a big difference yet.

Jinger and Jeremy have a 7 year gap but at least Jinger was 22(?) when the courtship started.

If she was paired with a Bates, Trace would make may more sense.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Yes, you are right. But I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly pushed a relationship even with a girl that is so much younger. She desperately wants her kids to get married and she has only married off one son so far. I guess we'll see!

• I Agree 4

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

Yes, you are right. But I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly pushed a relationship even with a girl that is so much younger. She desperately wants her kids to get married and she has only married off one son so far. I guess we'll see!

I could see Kelly pushing for younger naïve eighteen year old who might be so swept up in big courtship proposal and marriage or think he's just so great not realize Nathan's an asshole and realizing she could do better. Obviously Nathan hasn't figured out why he's repelling them. 

• Upvote 11

12 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Nathan seems ambitious career wise. But he really is a jerk when it comes to womens fashions. Makes me think he would be the same about women's issues in general, but I could be wrong. On his last LIVE appearance, he basically said he thought it was ridiculous for women to care about a dress they will never be able to fit in again after the wedding. This was in response to either Josie or Carlin's wedding dress shopping. What exactly does that mean and why does he feel the need to publicize such ideas in regards to his sisters' weddings? 

Maybe he is bitter or something.

He really is. He's been an asshole on the show too. With him going off on Tori about her hair and bragging about how will always tell a woman she looks like crap if she does. He's probably an asshole but he also comes off like a bitter man who was dumped by his girlfriend. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I figured it was more Nathan is a pilot, Josiah is a pilot and maybe Josiah has been taking more lessons etc from Nate.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I thought it was kinda weird that Nathan would randomly third-wheel with SiRen.  I wonder if this was supposed to be a double-date, but they're purposely keeping whomever Nathan was with a secret to entice interest.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I could see Kelly pushing for younger naïve eighteen year old who might be so swept up in big courtship proposal and marriage or think he's just so great not realize Nathan's an asshole and realizing she could do better. Obviously Nathan hasn't figured out why he's repelling them. 

Yeah, he really needs to work on how he talks about women. None of what he says is cute. There is something to be said about being both honest and considerate. I understand he may be a matter-of-fact kind of person, but he could use a ton more of sensitivity in some of his perspectives.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I thought it was kinda weird that Nathan would randomly third-wheel with SiRen.  I wonder if this was supposed to be a double-date, but they're purposely keeping whomever Nathan was with a secret to entice interest.  

There were only 3 names on the score card. Doesn't seem as though anyone else was with them.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

There were only 3 names on the score card. Doesn't seem as though anyone else was with them.

I wouldn't put it passed them to have a second score card.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I wouldn't put it passed them to have a second score card.

Can't see them going to the trouble of creating another card for an Instagram story. If there was someone there they wanted to hide wouldn't they just not show the card?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 3/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, TatiFish9 said:

Yeah, he really needs to work on how he talks about women. None of what he says is cute. There is something to be said about being both honest and considerate. I understand he may be a matter-of-fact kind of person, but he could use a ton more of sensitivity in some of his perspectives.

He comes off as self-righteous, sexist, and judgmental. Then add in that inflection in his voice that he gets from channeling his father and every pastor he's ever known, he's going to put off a lot of women. 

Interestingly, for a man who sounds a lot like a southern preacher, he's probably the best one of the group of older kids/adults who would benefit from Crown. Early on in the series, they said he was going to school there and then never mentioned it again. Good for him for learning to fly a plane and all that, but out of the four oldest boys, he's probably the best suited to actually preach on Sunday. 

I'm not a church person, but I would prefer the man or woman leading my instruction in the spiritual life be educated and trained versus whatever it is that puts Gil in the role of pastor of a church. Heathen opinion, but just an observation. One would think they would want their church to be more of a family affair. Erin doesn't even go to the family's church, but she is the one trained to lead a music ministry with Carlin helping her. Have Nathan in a leadership role with the sermons or put him in charge of missions. Before Tori moved to Nashville, she could have been involved with the children's program with her biblical education degree. It just seems to me that there would be opportunities to involve the family in this church they claim is growing so fast they need a new building. 

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

He comes off as self-righteous, sexist, and judgmental. Then add in that inflection in his voice that he gets from channeling his father and every pastor he's ever known, he's going to put off a lot of women. 

Interestingly, for a man who sounds a lot like a southern preacher, he's probably the best one of the group of older kids/adults who would benefit from Crown. Early on in the series, they said he was going to school there and then never mentioned it again. Good for him for learning to fly a plane and all that, but out of the four oldest boys, he's probably the best suited to actually preach on Sunday. 

I assumed that Nathan just got that one year Crown "Foundation for Christian Life" certificate, just like Lawson did years ago. And didn't Joe Duggar too?

• Upvote 3

Seems like years and years ago they said Nathan wanted to be a preacher. Anyone else remember that? 

Edit:

Yes. Here it is

Spoiler

"Kelly Jo: “We do a lot of church sports and they are very active in group sports. We encourage them to pursue whatever avenues they feel like. Lawson is pursuing a music career. Nathan told us he wanted to be a preacher and he planned a mission trip to the Philippians last year. He coordinated the whole project and he is planning on taking a group back. We’ve had several children who have pursued being an EMT and being involved with the fire department. They have a broad variety of interests and are very involved in many social groups outside of our family."

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

Nathan told us he wanted to be a preacher and he planned a mission trip to the Philippians last year.

Funny, I thought St. Paul got to them a while ago.

• Haha 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I assumed that Nathan just got that one year Crown "Foundation for Christian Life" certificate, just like Lawson did years ago. And didn't Joe Duggar too?

Lawson did not receive a certificate as far as I know. He helped Erin pay for college, but he stated several times in old interviews and on the first TLC series that he had no interest in going to college himself.  There was also mention on the show that Trace was the first of the boys to "graduate" from Crown. I put that in quotes because at many schools certificate students don't walk in graduation. 

Nathan went at least one semester and was shown in class during the first season, but then it was pretty much dropped from conversation on the show. He also was shown preaching at a nursing home or assisted living facility in some of the old news reports. I assume that he chose to study to become a pilot instead of finishing at Crown. The kids in that age group had to pay for Crown themselves versus the ones now having money from the show to pay for it. So I can see why he might choose to leave to pursue the pilot thing. I just find it odd that of all the kids, he's the one who sounds and acts like a preacher and yet didn't graduate from the family's favorite school that primarily offers ministry related degrees. 

No judgement. It's just odd. Crown's not really known as an educational powerhouse in other areas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I think Nathan thinks he's funny bashing women all the time. I don't know if he honestly believes what he says, but he *thinks* it gets laughs out of people. 

Maybe if he wasn't fundie I would think he was funny for asking why a wedding dress is so important as a joke, but since he's fundie he's just making fun of the only outlets those women have (and things they are literally forced/raised to do since birth). 

• Upvote 7

Yeah, I can see some of JBs and JDs Duggars stupid, sexist sense of humor in Nathan. (Yeah JD, I haven't forgotten that your sisters "like to do your laundry." You're so funny!  No, you're just a sexist turd.) 

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic