Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
SpoonfulOSugar

Nathan 3: "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves . . . "

Recommended Posts

Exjw2015deed
7 hours ago, marmalade said:

I found Sarah's Instagram, and she's wearing a top with NO SLEEVES! Sarah has come a long, long way since the shy, crunchy-perm, courting with Zach Bates days. I wouldn't even recognize her as the same girl, to be honest. 

I don't understand why and when was their of shift to these people wearing normal clothes? Like was there a press release sent out to make people look more normal and stop perming their hair and wear non little house on the prairie style. Like Sarah is wearing pants and sleeveless.

Same with all the bates and duggars. Last nights episode Alyssa said "told ya'll it's hot and to wear sleeveless and shorts." .......... I just want to know when did this collaborative effort begin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
9 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I don't understand why and when was their of shift to these people wearing normal clothes? Like was there a press release sent out to make people look more normal and stop perming their hair and wear non little house on the prairie style. Like Sarah is wearing pants and sleeveless.

Same with all the bates and duggars. Last nights episode Alyssa said "told ya'll it's hot and to wear sleeveless and shorts." .......... I just want to know when did this collaborative effort begin?

@formergotharditecould probably provide a good breakdown.

I know she has mentioned multiple times before that IBLP standards aren't as strict as many here believe - the super strict no shorts, no sleeveless, and skirts/dresses only for women is just a suggestion, not mandatory. The Duggars and Bates make it easy to think its mandatory because they're the most media prominent families - same with thinking all these families aim for as many kids as they can possibly have (many families, including John Webster's parents, don't do that.)

Shes also mentioned that the dramatic shift we've seen in fashion with the Bateses and Duggars was part necessity (because the kids were exposed to new fashion trends via the show) and partly as a way to make the movement look more normal to outsiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunshine
11 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I don't understand why and when was their of shift to these people wearing normal clothes? Like was there a press release sent out to make people look more normal and stop perming their hair and wear non little house on the prairie style. Like Sarah is wearing pants and sleeveless.

Same with all the bates and duggars. Last nights episode Alyssa said "told ya'll it's hot and to wear sleeveless and shorts." .......... I just want to know when did this collaborative effort begin?

That is cute.  For the Duggars, is their last name  Duggar or Duggars? Anyway, it was due to the show.  At some point, they were giving clothes for interviews and it seem to spread like wild fire from there. All in all, as they became connect to the world more they became influence...paraphrase from Gil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PianoPounder
On 7/29/2016 at 4:24 PM, marmalade said:

I found Sarah's Instagram, and she's wearing a top with NO SLEEVES! Sarah has come a long, long way since the shy, crunchy-perm, courting with Zach Bates days. I wouldn't even recognize her as the same girl, to be honest. 

I kind of really love that she's doing taekwondo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite
9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

ditecould probably provide a good breakdown

I'm not sure when it actually happened. It was sometime between when I left in the 90's and when I started paying attention to what was going on in IBLP/ATI around 10/11 years ago. I think it was probably the drop in members and realizing that the Cult would need to change and adapt if they were going to last much longer. They could keep most of the horrible, horrible teachings and let women wear pants. 

Probably what happened is they changed the rules and said that women could wear pants during certain activities while at the training centers and then things just sort of expanded quietly from there. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the head people like the Bates, Paines and other board members do brainstorm ways to make the Cult look less like a cult, especially now that there is so much info out there about it. The Bates are good at coming off as normal and not lead cult members. They changed their entire image pretty fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faraway

It's so ridiculous. They claimed to be holier BECAUSE of their stupid standards and now they're basically becoming your average american family. But they're still super holy, you know.

I remember one episode of 19KAC, where Jessa and Ben took some of the little Duggar boys to the arcade. Jessa was wearing a long jersey skirt that was pretty thin and fitted. She was filmed walking from behind and there was no VPL, just her a** in full glory. Maybe a VPL is considered immodest so they wear thongs or go commando. These people are basically the Kardashians. I can't believe anyone is buying their BS.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with sexy dress. But their double standards are disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
nokidsmom

Certainly glad to see that Sarah is happily engaged.  The pics on her instagram with her fiance are nothing compared to those horribly awkward pics with Zach.    She didn't seem comfortable with Zach but she must have been giving him a chance because their courtship went on for several months before she pulled the plug.    I thought televising the courtship proposal was a very bad idea and put her on the spot but if she intended to just go along for the filming crew and then let him down, she took her time doing so.  Maybe she really did like him and it just didn't work out in the end.   Just like dating, I will never get this whole business about courtship being better than dating when it works out in the same ways for these people.  

Also noted that besides the tae kwondo, target shooting, going sleeveless, she's also wearing pants in some of those pictures.    I know that doesn't necessarily reflect her level of fundiness, but I personally never thought that she was seriously fundie, more fundie lite, if that.  Certainly not on the same level as the Bateseseses.

ETA:  She seems to be totally loving life, had she married Zach, this certainly would not be her life now.  Don't get me wrong, I actually like Zach and felt for him when the courtship fail was announced, but those two were very mismatched.

Edited by nokidsmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
Audrey2
3 hours ago, faraway said:

It's so ridiculous. They claimed to be holier BECAUSE of their stupid standards and now they're basically becoming your average american family. But they're still super holy, you know.

I remember one episode of 19KAC, where Jessa and Ben took some of the little Duggar boys to the arcade. Jessa was wearing a long jersey skirt that was pretty thin and fitted. She was filmed walking from behind and there was no VPL, just her a** in full glory. Maybe a VPL is considered immodest so they wear thongs or go commando. These people are basically the Kardashians. I can't believe anyone is buying their BS.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with sexy dress. But their double standards are disgusting.

I figure they wear slips, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
backyard sylph
5 hours ago, faraway said:

It's so ridiculous. They claimed to be holier BECAUSE of their stupid standards and now they're basically becoming your average american family. But they're still super holy, you know.

I remember one episode of 19KAC, where Jessa and Ben took some of the little Duggar boys to the arcade. Jessa was wearing a long jersey skirt that was pretty thin and fitted. She was filmed walking from behind and there was no VPL, just her a** in full glory. Maybe a VPL is considered immodest so they wear thongs or go commando. These people are basically the Kardashians. I can't believe anyone is buying their BS.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with sexy dress. But their double standards are disgusting.

You might be completely right. But I wear skirts pretty often and the style of panty I buy never shows under them. They have no seams at all except in the attached crotch panel, and they are very smooth all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Granwych

Does anyone remember the pantyhose made about 30 years ago that combined a white or beige panty section with the legs attached (in different colors?)  They  sold like crazy at the store I worked in.  I remember one older gentleman holding up a package of said pantyhose and asking me "Is this what liberated women wear?"  Feeling sassy, I replied, "No, liberated women wear nothing at all!"

Underalls--that's the name!  Those were the days, long before school, marriage, kids, and mortgages---

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faraway

They likely wear slips and seemless undies, the question is why do so-called modest women need them? Those items are made for sheer/form-fitting clothes. In Jessa's case, whatever she was wearing didn't help cover the contour of her behind. These jersey fabrics just show off everything and the Duggars have been trading the denim skirts for jersey for quite a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
Audrey2
5 hours ago, faraway said:

They likely wear slips and seemless undies, the question is why do so-called modest women need them? Those items are made for sheer/form-fitting clothes. In Jessa's case, whatever she was wearing didn't help cover the contour of her behind. These jersey fabrics just show off everything and the Duggars have been trading the denim skirts for jersey for quite a while now.

Say what you will, but I was sure glad I had a slip on last Friday night after a breeze caught my short pleated skirt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverDance

OT... Has anyone seen these "skirt" extenders being sold to "lengthen" short skirts and dresses?  they are basically slips with a lace ruffle at the bottom.  My friend carries them in her boutique, and she is no fundie.  Random.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
princessmahina
6 hours ago, faraway said:

They likely wear slips and seemless undies, the question is why do so-called modest women need them? Those items are made for sheer/form-fitting clothes. In Jessa's case, whatever she was wearing didn't help cover the contour of her behind. These jersey fabrics just show off everything and the Duggars have been trading the denim skirts for jersey for quite a while now.

Because it gets really hot in the south in the summer and one doesn't necessarily want to wear heavy fabrics like denim. I live in the south and try to wear modest clothes (I'm not quite at Duggar standards, but then..neither are they). Slips and no show panties can make seemingly modest clothes actually modest. Sometimes a breeze catches you or you bend over and the fabric pushes really close to your body- do you want everyone to see your underwear? I know I don't. I have no interest in the world seeing what I'm wearing under my clothes, or even the outline of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nashville92

I wear slips with my skirts.  I tend to dress more modest.  Slips just make me feel more comfortable as I's rather my panty lines not be visible.  I'm from Tennessee, it's hot as daylights here and jeans are just not what I care to wear.  Skirts are almost bad enough but denim is horrible.  I do wear shorts around the house though 

Edited by Nashville92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RosyDaisy

I'm very hot natured. I refuse to wear slips and pantyhose. I find them uncomfortable and miserable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
faraway

I have no problem with people wearing slips whatsoever, but wearing thin, form fitting clothes isn't exactly modest in my world. 

I don't dress modestly (far from it) and find it funny because the way these thin jersey skirts fit, they really emphasize your figure. Even I would feel like my butt is out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
Audrey2

I also wash my slips regularly, but don't wash my skirts as often, as they don't  come into much contact with skin.

 

I would be afraid to see the ruffled skirt extenders. A square dance costume comes into mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnywhereButHere

I remember having a square dancing segment in gym when I was in grade school. No costumes, just our ugly ass, striped gym uniform. It was embarrassing, to say the least, and more than a little confusing. I mean, I grew up in Massachusetts. Where the hell were we going to use this "skill"? :pb_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Mela99
On 8/12/2016 at 11:45 AM, QuiverDance said:

OT... Has anyone seen these "skirt" extenders being sold to "lengthen" short skirts and dresses?  they are basically slips with a lace ruffle at the bottom.  My friend carries them in her boutique, and she is no fundie.  Random.

I've actually seen those on a lot of little girls lately.  Friend from high school basically dresses her three year old in boutique only fashion and she LOVES those things. Adds poof and fluff to every single thing that child wears... If you look at Zulilly, it's definitely a tend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulypepper
9 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I remember having a square dancing segment in gym when I was in grade school. No costumes, just our ugly ass, striped gym uniform. It was embarrassing, to say the least, and more than a little confusing. I mean, I grew up in Massachusetts. Where the hell were we going to use this "skill"? :pb_smile:

Indiana here and we had to do stupid dances like that in grade school...Boys in their white gym trunks and t-shirts and the girls in their blue and white striped uniforms. I'm further south and I have NEVER square danced after grade school, so I don't understand why this ever happened! :pb_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aggravated
GreyhoundFan
49 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

Indiana here and we had to do stupid dances like that in grade school...Boys in their white gym trunks and t-shirts and the girls in their blue and white striped uniforms. I'm further south and I have NEVER square danced after grade school, so I don't understand why this ever happened! :pb_lol:

I'm dating myself here, but in sixth grade (middle school), we not only had to do a square dance segment, but also one on The Hustle. A group of unhappy, uncoordinated sixth graders in tacky gym uniforms trying to do The Hustle.... Thank heavens there were no camera phones, You Tube, or Snapchat then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jana814

I had to learn square dancing in 6th grade which in my town was still elementary school. It was taught by the gym teacher from the lower grade elementary school. It was horrible.  The guy was a dick, he should not have been allowed to teach young children. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnywhereButHere
2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm dating myself here, but in sixth grade (middle school), we not only had to do a square dance segment, but also one on The Hustle. A group of unhappy, uncoordinated sixth graders in tacky gym uniforms trying to do The Hustle.... Thank heavens there were no camera phones, You Tube, or Snapchat then!

Oh my god! I remember my mom and her friends doing the Hustle in our basement. They had a whole weekly Hustle night thing going on!  :pb_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
elliha

We had dancing as a theme 1-2 times a year when we were 13-15 years old. We danced traditional Swedish folk dances, foxtrot, waltz and more silly dances like the Macarena. It was very very awkward and I hated it. I never liked dancing beyond ugly-dancing in my bedroom and I had to dance with different guys who I may or may not have liked and I was a shy teenager. It made my hate of dancing permanent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.