IGNORED

Jazz Hands, Sparkle Crotch: Erika Schupe Pt. 9

FundieFarmer

My theory on the defundification of her blog: Remember when she posted that vehemently anti-Halloween piece, and her husband included Halloween jokes on his own FB not long thereafter? It seemed to me that that was when she started yanking posts and getting less Christiany. I think it may have been because Bob sat her down and said, "Erica, it's time to knock it off. People are making fun of me. And, BTW, I have no intention of supporting a couple of grown-@$$ women while they wait for Prince Charming to come along."

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Hane said:

My theory on the defundification of her blog: Remember when she posted that vehemently anti-Halloween piece, and her husband included Halloween jokes on his own FB not long thereafter? It seemed to me that that was when she started yanking posts and getting less Christiany. I think it may have been because Bob sat her down and said, "Erica, it's time to knock it off. People are making fun of me. And, BTW, I have no intention of supporting a couple of grown-@$$ women while they wait for Prince Charming to come along."

I do think they had some major arguments after that incident, but heaven only knows what was said. I get the feeling that Bob had a lightbulb moment and finally stuck up for himself, but we will probably never know.

Okay, so this is the  first time I've ever sat down and read Erika's blog. I gotta be honest I thought all the snarking on *smile*, *laugh*, etc was just y'all beig over the top and exaggerating.

I was wrong. She does that way too much. It's so freaking awkward!! Why, Erika, why???

11 hours ago, donnal said:

Okay, so this is the  first time I've ever sat down and read Erika's blog. I gotta be honest I thought all the snarking on *smile*, *laugh*, etc was just y'all beig over the top and exaggerating.

I was wrong. She does that way too much. It's so freaking awkward!! Why, Erika, why???

I've gotten to the point where I barely even notice them anymore. It's just like punctuation to me now. 

Welcome to the well-organized rabbit hole!

Erika posted a couple of pictures last week from a date night she had with Bob- looks like she went over by her parents' place and they took some photos. Just today she posted her and the kids getting their "back to school" donuts- I noticed Karen wasn't present. She hasn't finished homeschooling, has she? 

I'm kind of disappointed that Erika has refrained from reposting any judgmental blog posts or anything. Her page is pretty boring most of the time, save for the once or twice a month she posts pictures of the kids. I'm about 99% sure that Halloween will come and go without any righteous indignation on her part. And for that, I'm kind of sad. 

4 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Erika posted a couple of pictures last week from a date night she had with Bob- looks like she went over by her parents' place and they took some photos. Just today she posted her and the kids getting their "back to school" donuts- I noticed Karen wasn't present. She hasn't finished homeschooling, has she? 

I'm kind of disappointed that Erika has refrained from reposting any judgmental blog posts or anything. Her page is pretty boring most of the time, save for the once or twice a month she posts pictures of the kids. I'm about 99% sure that Halloween will come and go without any righteous indignation on her part. And for that, I'm kind of sad. 

I think Karen is a senior, but she may have finished up without any fanfare. I was surprised by Melanie's shirt-- very modern and trendy. 

I think something big must have happened in Erika's life, because she seems to have changed quite a bit recently. From a snark perspective its disappointing, but if the children are happier and more relaxed with what looks like more freedom, then I think that's wonderful. 

4 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I noticed Karen wasn't present. She hasn't finished homeschooling, has she? 

Karen might be at work, if she's still holding that job...

I would feel like such a weirdo taking all these pics of my kids just eating a donut at a donut shop (not just snapping a pic at a table I was sitting at if I felt like it, but standing over each table like she does). Everything always has to be such a big ordeal with these people. When I was little, it was a family tradition to get donuts on the last day of school, but you know how many pictures we have of it? Zero. Because it was just donuts.

And leave the poor donut shop employee alone. He might not have wanted his picture taken.

I think Karen may have graduated. Or she could be at the job. Someone has asked where Karen is, so maybe Erika will reply.

And I know the American system is different- even between states and districts and stuff- but to me August is still summer holiday time. Scottish schools start back in the middle of August which sounds like madness to me! But then they finish their academic year before us so I guess they're used to it.

ETA: Ooh. Melanie's gone even shorter with her haircut. She looks really pretty. Not quite whispy, soft, feminine curls a la Erika, but nice.

I think Karen may have graduated. Or she could be at the job. Someone has asked where Karen is, so maybe Erika will reply.

And I know the American system is different- even between states and districts and stuff- but to me August is still summer holiday time. Scottish schools start back in the middle of August which sounds like madness to me! But then they finish their academic year before us so I guess they're used to it.

Does England have tattie holidays in October? Kids in Scotland get two weeks off at the end of October, so them starting back early kind of makes more sense.

Also, you know, it's not as though there's any summer to speak of round here :D

27 minutes ago, alba said:

Does England have tattie holidays in October? Kids in Scotland get two weeks off at the end of October, so them starting back early kind of makes more sense.

Nope, no tattie holidays haha. And fair point on the no summer front too. :D

2 hours ago, alba said:

Yeah we still get half term in the UK - 1 week off in the middle of each term (though can be more depending on the school, and will often have at least one teacher training day attached (kids don't go in on those days :D )

7 minutes ago, imokit said:

Yeah we still get half term in the UK - 1 week off in the middle of each term (though can be more depending on the school, and will often have at least one teacher training day attached (kids don't go in on those days :D )

So do kids go back to school for, like, 6 weeks and then get a holiday? Weird :P

In Canada we started back at school at the start of September and didn't get off till the Friday before Christmas!

I have a friend in Georgia, and her son had to go back to school in the very beginning of August. Apparently their school year ended in May. Having to sit in school all through August in Georgia sounds like torture to me. :(

22 minutes ago, Koala said:

I wonder if there's any chance that Erika's oldest pushed to finish her senior year in public school... 

That's what I'm wondering. She's said in the past that her daughters liked to get a jump start on their work the night before so they could have more of their day for free time. It seems plausible to me that Karen would finish early so she could potentially work more hours and get out of the house.

I've also heard/seen that Karen is maybe a middling student, so it could be either.

2 hours ago, alba said:

So do kids go back to school for, like, 6 weeks and then get a holiday? Weird :P

In Canada we started back at school at the start of September and didn't get off till the Friday before Christmas!

We have a week of school in late September here in Norway. It used to be to help with the potato harvest back in the day, now it's just autumn vacation. 

3 hours ago, alba said:

It breaks up the year quite nicely.  When you're little everything feels like forever and can sometimes get overwhelming time to half term was do able, and helped with burnout.

Spreading holiday throughout the year means we have shorter summer holidays than most countries to make up for it.  But I personally like it that way, and miss it now I'm a grown up.

Erika has said in the past (blog posts, not sure which) that Karen and Melanie have usually been in the same grade school-wise. Past schedules supported this, as the cells in their columns were merged, so they were doing the same thing at the same time and for the same grade level. In the Christmas letter from 2014, however, Karen and Melanie were listed as being in separate grades- although both were listed as 16 so this could just be a mistake. (As you know, Karen and Melanie are 13 months apart). Of course, circumstances could have changed and Melanie could have needed to spend longer on one grade/Karen could have forged ahead. Who knows. 

I bet Erika did do a graduation thing for Karen if she has graduated. It's her first child who's graduated homeschool, that would be a BIG thing for Erika. People know Karen is 18, they'll likely want to know what's happening with her. 

Unless the doughnuts are only for people in school... which seems a little unfair. "OK, kids, we're going to the store to get our donuts, except for Karen who's done with school. You can stay home." It's different for everyone, I know, but I'd feel a little left out if everyone was eating a doughnut except me. 

17 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I think something big must have happened in Erika's life, because she seems to have changed quite a bit recently. From a snark perspective its disappointing, but if the children are happier and more relaxed with what looks like more freedom, then I think that's wonderful. 

However I can be happy in the knowledge that the snark will drift off before a new thread is needed. 

meaning she will forever and always be

*Jazz Hands, Sparkle Crotch*        Erika Schupe 

I think if Karen had graduated, Erika would have mentioned it. She's probably either at work or just didn't want to go on the outing.

2 hours ago, 16strong said:

I think if Karen had graduated, Erika would have mentioned it. She's probably either at work or just didn't want to go on the outing.

Yeah, I do think you're right that her graduation wouldn't pass without some pretty serious fanfare. I wouldn't be surprised if Karen was at her job, or was otherwise busy with something else. I'm still hoping that she gets a chance to go to cosmetology school, since Erika has mentioned Karen's interest in it. 

Washington public schools don't go back until after labor day. I think there is zero chance Karen is at public school this year, and definitely not there during the photo. 

7 hours ago, imokit said:

It breaks up the year quite nicely.  When you're little everything feels like forever and can sometimes get overwhelming time to half term was do able, and helped with burnout.

Spreading holiday throughout the year means we have shorter summer holidays than most countries to make up for it.  But I personally like it that way, and miss it now I'm a grown up.

Same thing here in Germany. We had six weeks of summer break, a week of fall break (usually in early to mid-October), three weeks of Christmas break and two weeks for Easter. I always thought that was really nice, as the next break was never inconceivably far away. But then again, we don't tend to get super-hot summers. I understand the need for a three-month summer break in places where it's just blistering hot in the summer.

9 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

We have a week of school in late September here in Norway. It used to be to help with the potato harvest back in the day, now it's just autumn vacation. 

Yeah, the October holiday in Scotland was for harvesting the potatoes, too, hence the name 'tattie holidays', which is what MIL (who teaches high school English) always calls it.

8 hours ago, imokit said:

Aye, I can see that. We had school from early September to just before Christmas, early January to the first week of March, then mid-March to the end of June, so the fall term wasn't terribly long compared to the others, but it was definitely the longest.

I remember about ten, fifteen years ago there was talk in Canada about having a shorter summer holiday, with some school districts in BC trialling it. Most places in Canada aren't hot for much of the summer (where I come from, Southern Ontario, you can get a few weeks in July with a humidex in the high-thirties, but June and August are usually both mid- to high-twenties), and nine weeks is a long time for parents to find childcare - and, frankly, for kids to forget everything they learnt.

Personally, though, I was glad it never materialised in my district, because it would have interfered with my long trips to summer camp every year. I think the long summer holidays are good for middle-class families like mine where there are plenty of activities to occupy kids and promote a well-rounded education, but they're much more burdensome to lower-income families who can't afford karate camp and choir camp and month-long sleepaway camp and are just trying to find childcare.

• December locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived