IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Eight

Destiny

In some aspects, I almost hope Jessa is pregnant (I'm not really convinced though), only to have two so close together would really give them a dose of reality. I think they need.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/26/2016 at 7:56 PM, divadivine said:

If Benessa were a normal couple- not freaky fundies- they might be caught up in the Hamilton craze. (Love me some Hamilton) I could see them picking the name Theodosia after Aaron Burr's daughter or Angelica or Eliza or Peggy for one of the Schuyler sisters. Instead, they are fundies and will pick another awful name like Spurgeon. I wonder how long they will withhold the name for blessing number two? Any bets? 

I'd stick Theodosia or Peggy nearly in the Spurgeon category! Though I am a huge musical theater fan, I have yet to listen to or see Hamilton (no time to myself to listen to music).

5 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

It's not super surprising to me either. Jill is probably still nursing Izzy to some extent. My son was born a few hours after Israel and I didn't get my first period after pregnancy until this month. I think the average breastfeeding mom doesn't have a period return until about 14-16 months or something like that. Obviously you can get pregnant before that though. I do think they are trying to get pregnant though, based on their comments on Instagram about how Izzy doesn't have any siblings "yet".

Eh...I wish 16 mo... I breastfed and had a period for four weeks after a c-section, then a regular period the next month. Everybody (as in every body) is different

1 hour ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Eh...I wish 16 mo... I breastfed and had a period for four weeks after a c-section, then a regular period the next month. Everybody (as in every body) is different

Oh totally. That's just the reported average. 

I could just easily see that being the case for Jill. Or not, I mean her mom certainly had no trouble conceiving while nursing .

3 hours ago, twinmama said:

I'd stick Theodosia or Peggy nearly in the Spurgeon category! Though I am a huge musical theater fan, I have yet to listen to or see Hamilton (no time to myself to listen to music).

Theodosia, which means "given by God," is a good fundy name though, even if it is also the name of Aaron Burr's daughter. As for Peggy,  I have known women named Peggy, so it doesn't seem so unusual.

(I am a musical theater fan also, but like you I haven't experienced Hamilton.  )

29 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Theodosia, which means "given by God," is a good fundy name though, even if it is also the name of Aaron Burr's daughter. As for Peggy,  I have known women named Peggy, so it doesn't seem so unusual.

(I am a musical theater fan also, but like you I haven't experienced Hamilton.  )

don't forget the movie For Keeps - they used that name Theodosia 

:D

32 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Peggy is a diminutive of Margaret, but seems to have fallen out of favor in the last fifty years or so. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes back in style soon like other trendy old-time names like Ava and Sophia.

30 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Peggy is a diminutive of Margaret, but seems to have fallen out of favor in the last fifty years or so. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes back in style soon like other trendy old-time names like Ava and Sophia.

Yes. I had a friend in grad school named Peggy, but it was a "family name."  She would have been born 50 -60 years ago.  And my friend's "Aunt Peggy" (Who liked to be called Miss Margaret, but let me call her Miss Peggy because we had an ongoing joke about Miss Piggy) would be over 90.  

There was a Meggy in my daughter's pre-school, but no Peggies in more than 50 years.  Still, it sounds old fashioned but normal.  

But If someone saddled me with Theodosia, I'd rename myself Thea. ;) 

In my extended family this week there have been babies born and named Albert and Evelyn.  Evelyn I think will be nicknamed Evie, but Albert is not a name I ever thought I'd hear again.

10 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I do like Margaret and Maggie, hard to see why Maggie is available as a nickname and someone would opt for Peggy. I'm also trying to imagine a baby named Peggy, lol. Though it does remind me of Mad Men and that Peggy was awesome.

It is funny though that most of the names mentioned here have viable nicknames, unlike Spurgeon. He can go by his middle name, but Spurgeon gives you nothing! I love Thea for Theodosia actually. Even Albert can be Al or Bert!

3 hours ago, Karma said:

In my extended family this week there have been babies born and named Albert and Evelyn.  Evelyn I think will be nicknamed Evie, but Albert is not a name I ever thought I'd hear again.

One of my best friend's daughter's name is Evelyn, and she goes by Evie :) (she's 4 FTR)

On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, karen77 said:

we were one of those couples, first go at getting pregnant (BC prior) and boom. then secondary infertility, took 2 years and drugs and procedures to finally get tehre with #2. Final issue that we determined...because I weighed about 10 lbs more than when I got pregnant with #1 (talking 144 lbs to 155 lbs) I had started showing pre-diabetic signs (higher glucose only) and I think that is the reason, so we treated that, along with helping things out (IUI and drugs) and finally got there. My family dr was really surprised at my glucose tolerance test results...since I was barely over my weight range for my height (like 1 lb).

Yep, two weeks to get preganant with my son, 14 months with my daughter.

my neighbors (young couple) just named their new baby peggy. not margaret, just peggy. what a coincidence that you are talking about that right now. it's a little odd when she says " peggy this" and "peggy that" because it sounds like a grown woman, not a two-week-old infant.

I know three Margarets who go by the nickname Peggy. All three have Irish roots. I think Peggy is a more Irish form of Margaret. 

I also know a Peggy whose legal name is Peggy. 

My Uncle's legal name is Danny... Not Dan or Daniel... But Danny. 

If I ever have a daughter I'd name her Margaret Eileen Grace and call her Meg- because those would be her first three initials MEG... And Meg is another nickname for Margaret. I doubt I'll be having any babies, but that's the name I'd pick for a girl. 

My son and soon to be dil where talking baby names last week. They have decided on Margaret Ann (Margaret for my son's paternal grandmother and Ann for my dil paternal grandmother), and they will call her Mickey. Since no one is pregnant, and probably won't be for 3-5 years, that all could change of course. Oh, and for a boy, they chose Nicholas Alexander

If I ever have a daughter I'd name her Margaret Eileen Grace and call her Meg- because those would be her first three initials MEG... And Meg is another nickname for Margaret. I doubt I'll be having any babies, but that's the name I'd pick for a girl. 

I have great aunts names Margaret (Peggy) and Eileen, and both have bad right knees and have had difficulties with them since they were young. My grandpa, their brother, calls them Peg Leg and Eileen (as in "I lean") because of this, which is awful but also hilarious. I love the names, and have thought about naming a future child Margaret, Meg for short, after my sweet old aunt, but I can't see those two names together without thinking of two of the coolest old ladies with bad knees I know.

9 hours ago, Karma said:

That's my FIL's name, and if he was still alive, he'd be 93!

eta: Even he hated it. He went by a diminuative of his middle name, James (Jim). 

1 hour ago, SunnySideUp said:

I have great aunts names Margaret (Peggy) and Eileen, and both have bad right knees and have had difficulties with them since they were young. My grandpa, their brother, calls them Peg Leg and Eileen (as in "I lean") because of this, which is awful but also hilarious. I love the names, and have thought about naming a future child Margaret, Meg for short, after my sweet old aunt, but I can't see those two names together without thinking of two of the coolest old ladies with bad knees I know.

My husband and I actually chose our girl first name in honor of my favorite Great-Aunt. Her name was Theodora and her nickname was Doris - neither of those worked for us. So we went with Anna, which was her middle name instead. It works out because it's a lovely name we really like. Could you do something like that to honor your Great-Aunts?

Naming kids in honour of relatives by using their middle names worked for us too.  daughter has both her grandmothers middle names as hers - first name Ann Elizabeth.  First name Rita Roslyn didn't have quite the same ring to it!

But we were trying to honour family members (and use names we liked), not make a public statement about how Christian we were....

22 hours ago, twinmama said:

Hate to change the subject, but I'm seeing Hamilton tomorrow and can't wait :) You should really try to listen to the album! It's sooooo good!

My (very glum) prediction is that Jessa and Anna are already pregnant and due early next year. By which time Jinger and Jill will also be up the duff, even if barely, and we'll get that longed for pic of all four of them pushing out their bellies at the same time.

:puke-front: ...why do I insist on doing this to myself on a Saturday morning??...:puke-front:

And one of Sierra too. Because there's no way she won't not be pregnant by then.

17 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Hate to change the subject, but I'm seeing Hamilton tomorrow and can't wait :) You should really try to listen to the album! It's sooooo good!

@Gillyweed,  I'm officially envious!

@twinmama and @EmCatlyn, Hamilton is going to be shown on PBS this fall and Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the original cast will be appearing.  I think it's a live broadcast, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that.  

FWIW, Theodosia Burr Alston was lost at sea sailing from South Carolina to New York.  She was most likely lost off the North Carolina coast.  It's not called the Graveyard of Ships for no reason.

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Gillyweed,  I'm officially envious!

@twinmama and @EmCatlyn, Hamilton is going to be shown on PBS this fall and Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the original cast will be appearing.  I think it's a live broadcast, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that.  

FWIW, Theodosia Burr Alston was lost at sea sailing from South Carolina to New York.  She was most likely lost off the North Carolina coast.  It's not called the Graveyard of Ships for no reason.

Thanks for the info.  I will look forward to it.

Anya Seton (historical novelist, mid-20th-century) had a novel about Aaron Burr's daughter called My Theodosia.  According to the novel, Theodosia was very close to her father.  I believe she was on her way to join him when her ship disappeared.  I like Theodosia better as a name than Theodora, and Dorothea (same name as Theodora but reversed) even better.

The pbs Hamilton special is on how they made it. The live version won't be released for a long time. Lin wants as many people to see it in person as possible before releasing it.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived