IGNORED

The Ark Encounter has opened!!

notsocommon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

David Seppi mansplains why you hate the Ark:

Well he does have a point. The fact that the Ark gives the people who already believe all of those points (but due to political impact mostly 4, 6 and the in itself contradictory 7. When I  last checked mercy and good judgement lead to tolerance thereby giving justice!) the impression that they are justified -even SCIENTIFICALLY justified!-in spreading their hate and ignorance is what I probably hate most about the ARK! so it is people like David Seppi I dislike!

(reading them again all those points are awful)

Actually, I hate Noah's Ark because it depicts the Judeo-Christian god as a genocidal jerk who killed everything and everyone on earth, except for a single family that subsequent verses show wasn't particularly virtuous. But since Noah's Ark wasn't a historical event, I don't think too much about it until creationists try to push their beliefs through textbook tampering and tax-exempt "creation science museums."

Nah, I hate the Ark because,

1. it is bullshit

2. that is being used to promote ignorance,

3. an antiscientific worldview,

4. misogyny,

5. and homophobia. 

6. Because the story is not only incredibly cruel, 

7. and obviously untrue, 

8. but also greatly underestimates my intelligence in claiming that a God who decided to exterminate all life on earth in a fit of irrational rage (save a few heterosexual couples whose offspring would later incestuously populate the world) is a good and loving deity worth following.

On 7/8/2016 at 10:55 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Okay well that might solve some of the space problems on the Ark, but they date the Flood at about  2348 BC, 4364 years ago. 

I've always wondered about that date.  That's during the fifth Egyptian dynasty, during pharoh Unas' reign.  He's got his own pyramid and we have translations of much of the writing on the walls, as well as his burial chamber and sarcophagus.

You'd think the Egyptians would have mentioned all being drowned somewhere in there, but it doesn't seem to have made their list of important news to tell the future about.

21 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

They wasted money on bullshit. 

nothing new about that ever here of mega churches and televangelists? 

They drowned before they could write it down, and Noah's grankids who somehow were able to continue the hieroglyphing in Egypt as if nothing ever happened to disrupt it wanted to prank the future generations and avoid mentioning the Flood because Grandpa was an ornery fool who kept bragging about it intil everyone was sick of him.

What did the ark even solve? I understand God got mad because people were sinners but why kill all the innocent animals? He could have killed just the humans by a virus or magic or something. Or bring all the humans from various continents into the ark in pairs and then sink the ark. 

Then the new batch of humans were just more of the same... similar sinners... So what was the point?

I saw something on History channel about "the flood". They proposed that it was a story handed down from a specific area that flooded. They've found a region that does show evidence of a massive flood at about the right time. The geography forms a sort of bowl shape. It was such a huge flood that anyone who survived the flood certainly could have thought that the entire world had flooded. This story may have worked it's way into what we now know to be the story of Noah's Ark. Since I don't take the bible literally, I have no problem seeing this as a very probable explanation for how the entire world could flood and the Egyptians didn't even notice. :pb_wink:

I was on Erika Shupe's page and it was so sad to me how many people commented that they were saving all of their money in the hopes that they would go in the future.  I guess I never realized how many YEC there are and that a family would scrimp and save to line the pockets of a charlatan.

Two very close family members are discussing this on Facebook right now, and not in the snarky way either.  Apparently it was discussed at their church last week, too.  I'm guessing the word "persecution" was used but I'm not asking for details.  This week has already been weird enough.

I read an NPR article last night about this and laughed the whole way through it. We all know they included dinosaurs but the article said they included two unicorns in the display too! :unicorn::unicorn:

The article also said they expect up to 2 million visitors per year but then it talks about how the creationist museum only has about 300,000 visitors per year. 

I also saw a bunch of pictures Happy Athiest posted of empty queue lines and hallways :giggle:

Most if not all societies have a flood story. Why? They lived near the river because the soil was fertile and water (duh), plus a way to travel. The area would be called a FLOODPLAIN today. Back then they just got flooded. And all their stuff floated away every flood season cuz water. Then one flood season Gr gr gr grandpa many times Noah got the bright idea to put his goat and Grandma on a boat so they wouldn't float away. Hooray! We are saved from the flood. Four generations later Gr grandson many times Greg told the story for show and tell in preschool and Noah had built an ark and saved all the animals (and grandma). And that's how we got the story of Noah's ark.

There were zip lines in the Bible? Did I miss something?

If the ark was relocated to the NYC area--a big flood, perhaps--I would be there in a second. Alas...

If you want to see 'the creationist version of a science journal' (and why would you want that?), well I've got you covered: http://creation.com/journal-of-creation-292

With papers having titles such as "Nylon-eating bacteria—part 2: refuting refuting Ohno’s frame-shift theory", "Difficulties with plate tectonics—Pacific Ocean bottom features", "Improbable singularities—evolution is riddled with them", "Textual traditions and biblical chronology", "Nylon-eating bacteria—part 3: current theory on how the modified genes arose ", and "Bacterial genome decay from a baraminological viewpoint".  It's been alive longer than I have!

16 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

There were zip lines in the Bible? Did I miss something?

If the ark was relocated to the NYC area--a big flood, perhaps--I would be there in a second. Alas...

Like in the movie "Day After Tomorrow" when ships float down 5th Avenue?

The Ark needs to have zip lines because otherwise it has so little to offer for to families shelling out hundreds of dollars to visit. All it is is an Ark structure with exhibits + a small zoo + 1 casual restaurant serving the usual bad overpriced themepark fare (and a gift shop with a coffee bat). Oh, and a "scenic" 1 mile bus ride from the parking area, where you paid to park. Thats it. No mention of any rides, walking trails, or play areas for kids.

23 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

I read an NPR article last night about this and laughed the whole way through it. We all know they included dinosaurs but the article said they included two unicorns in the display too! :unicorn::unicorn:

The article also said they expect up to 2 million visitors per year but then it talks about how the creationist museum only has about 300,000 visitors per year. 

I also saw a bunch of pictures Happy Athiest posted of empty queue lines and hallways :giggle:

The unicorns really make the exhibit for me.  If you're going to go with a fantasy, might as well go big, I guess.

On July 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Grimalkin said:

I am ashamed to say my kids pretty much dislike traditional  museums. I think they would laugh themselves silly at the Creation museum, and now this gem. My husband would nope his way out. I got so incredibly excited a few summers ago when I saw a billboard for the CM. I think all FJers should travel to the Holy CM and Ark Encounter at least once in their life.

Yeah, but damn few of us would be able to maintain the required air of decorum, and would be ejected for laughing ourselves into incontinence.

22 minutes ago, Hera said:

The unicorns really make the exhibit for me.  If you're going to go with a fantasy, might as well go big, I guess.

What it has unicorns?  And I thought the dinosaurs were bad.  :laughing-rolling:

And there were absolutely no carnivores before the flood?  :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

And that Nuagler-type waste disposal display?  :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Dear doG, I really want to go there with a group of public schooled elementary kids with worksheets entitled "How many things can we find WRONG with the Ark Encounter?"

9 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Thanks a lot, @slickcat79, I've been watching funny videos from that guy all afternoon!! :popcorn:

If you get done with those, I can also recommend NonStampCollector. He has a good one called "What Would Jesus Not Do?"

I really want to go to this.  I know that I shouldnt because there is NO WAY IN HELL I could behave, but I just need to do it.  

You think they'll have a groupon one of these days?

Unicorns??!

Boy David Seppi manages to pack some interesting theology in those points there. The Ark shows God is patriarchal? Climate change is God's plan? Then contradicts himself by saying God have man control over the earth. The Rainbow is a symbol of JUDGEMENT!!? Sheesh. 

I googled "unicorns in the bible" and apparently as late as 1828, the primary definition of "unicorn" was rhinoceros.  There was a lot of interesting discussion about translations and timelines of various translations.  Did Ken Ham's team do *any* research?

Archived