IGNORED

Terrorist attack in Dakha, Bangladesh

laPapessaGiovanna

This is all over our news because some Italians were involved. The bakery where the attack took place is near our embassy in Dakha. Some gunmen attacked a bakery killed some people then there was an hostage situation resolved by commandos. During the commandos intervention some more people died.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/dhaka-bangladesh-restaurant-attack-hostages

I know that there's obviously a lot more at play and at our core we're all a bunch of violent, self-interested assholes, but...why do people do this? What makes a normal person decide that it's OK to burst into a cafe full of innocent people and start killing them and blowing stuff up? Or to ride a motorcycle to a Hindu temple and hack up a priest who's done nothing to you simply because he prays a little differently? Or to hack up a blogger with a machete because you disagreed with him? Or, I mean, fuck, roll up to a gay bar with an AR-15 and kill 49 people? What makes people do these things?

When you blame others for your problems and let hatred grow and fester, and continually decry them as lesser, and obstacles to peace or progress, it starts to look attractive to make exeptions to basic human decency. :(

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I know that there's obviously a lot more at play and at our core we're all a bunch of violent, self-interested assholes, but...why do people do this? What makes a normal person decide that it's OK to burst into a cafe full of innocent people and start killing them and blowing stuff up? Or to ride a motorcycle to a Hindu temple and hack up a priest who's done nothing to you simply because he prays a little differently? Or to hack up a blogger with a machete because you disagreed with him? Or, I mean, fuck, roll up to a gay bar with an AR-15 and kill 49 people? What makes people do these things?

There are plenty of religious and political leaders who encourage their followers to do just this. We let them spread their hate even in our own countries and then act surprised when terrorist attacks happen.

The last I heard is that the terrorists asked the hostages to recite the quran and spared the ones that could. I wonder how long it will be before the state departments travel advice tell westerners to learn to recite the shahada before going abroad.

For the love of all the Blessed Eternal Compassionate Ones (and pick your label, call any name you personally consider holy)!

Have been lighting candles and incense in memory and thought of the Orlando shootings victims, and for all who suffer from terrorism and war-disruptions, and NOW murderous evil people of whatever flavor are doubling down to increase misery and horror?

(FWIW: I shudder with fear for my beloved country if Trump gets elected president and so "we must do the unthinkable". NO! NO! NO! NO!--a thousand million times!  I should much rather stand by the graveside of my dear land and weep for its death and see our dear blessed Constitution burned to ashes in reality, rather than to tolerate such evil as torture!)

Can someone with ESP or similar please advise me on just how many months/years we will need to send spiritual bouquets, light candles/incense, hold up others in faith, offer prayers/good wishes/whatever wonderful to our respective Deities, and ask for fast deliverance of the human race from all this hatred and insanity?

OK, won't get into arguments about Whoever's Deity is the TOTES bestest: but am wishing that folks would accept "Love Deity, and Love Your Fellow Humans, even if they ARE major PITAs."  

May we be gifted with peace and compassion---if not in our lifetimes, may our grandchildren be so blessed. 

On 2016-07-02 at 2:04 PM, Clementine said:

There are plenty of religious and political leaders who encourage their followers to do just this. We let them spread their hate even in our own countries and then act surprised when terrorist attacks happen.

The last I heard is that the terrorists asked the hostages to recite the quran and spared the ones that could. I wonder how long it will be before the state departments travel advice tell westerners to learn to recite the shahada before going abroad.

According to Indian media, the terrorists in Dhaka were followers of Zakir Naik. If so, I was right about hate preachers being the inspiratior for the massacre. 

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/dhaka-restaurant-attackers-followed-controversial-indian-islamic-preacher-zakir-nayek-2893714/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakir_Naik

Archived