IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

Knowing the time, and financial commitments of nurturing a talented musician, no one Duggar child would be given the time it takes, and the cost.  You can't get by with a cheap instrument, so as the student matures, you purchase your way from a student model, to an intermediate level, and finally professional instruments, costing thousands.  There are costs for lessons, music, competitions, travel and time to drive and wait for a non-driving kid to attend by audition performance groups, community or college youth performing groups, summer music camps and more.    Then come college auditions with travel expenses, application fees and more.   Then  there is practicing, in high school he was required to practice 120 minutes a week, but put in more than that.  

Once you are in college for a performance degree, you have the usual college requirements like sciences, history, English, foreign language,social sciences, and then the requirements for your instrument.   Music for your instrument, history, history of music, several levels of music theory, piano proficiency skills for all instrumentalists, performance ensembles, the more the better, small performance groups, recitals, instrument studio attendance, private lessons and more.  You apply and audition for every outside playing experience or competitions where you pay your own travel and expenses.    There are dress requirements, all black or black and white for the ladies, suits and tuxes, and recently for my son, all black, full tails with white shirt, tie and more.   He jokes that the dress code is ninjas or penguins.    

You have to spends hours and hour a day practicing,  he spends half and hour or more just warming up, scales, techniques, going over instrument excepts, working on and mastering solo literature for auditions, recitals and more.  I have spent thousands purchasing music over the years.    

Again, even if any of the kids showed the type of talent that Erin Bates has, talent only gets you so far.  You have to be willing to put the time into it as well as the expense and I can't see any fundie family willing to allow one child out of many to take the time it requires, nor the expense.     

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/23/2016 at 3:57 PM, Suz8710 said:

Was Jana behind the camera talking to Josie?

its pretty sad but especially for the younger girls the only Duggar member who seems to be around/involved is Jana. No wonder extra SADH's are needed for various duties: see Tabitha Paine, Mandie Query.

i know we've heard it confirmed from tabitha herself that she's a live-in tutor, but do we have any confirmation that mandie is living with them, or any idea of what she's doing, if she is? 

I find it interesting in the preview for the new season of  Counting On, they mention that "And, these three aren’t the only ones growing up; could John David, Joseph and Josiah be pursuing courtships? " Could we get some snarking gold from seeing the awkward Duggar men court?

They also mention Jill, Jinger, Jessa, Joy, Joy, Jedidiah and Jeremiah but no Jana. Wonder what's up with that.

49 minutes ago, GoneDownTheRabbitHole said:

I find it interesting in the preview for the new season of  Counting On, they mention that "And, these three aren’t the only ones growing up; could John David, Joseph and Josiah be pursuing courtships? " Could we get some snarking gold from seeing the awkward Duggar men court?

They also mention Jill, Jinger, Jessa, Joy, Joy, Jedidiah and Jeremiah but no Jana. Wonder what's up with that.

Maybe Jana is tired of being asked when she is going to get married and since there will be plenty of excitement with the others this season (Jinger and Jeremy, Jill and Derrick are back, etc.) she will be allowed to stay in the background.

1 hour ago, GoneDownTheRabbitHole said:

IMHO I think it's her personality. Everyone has always talked about how quiet and reserved she is. She basically said it herself. Most people also get the vibe that she's not to fond of all the filming. She prob likes to work behind the scenes and do her thing, which as we've seen is gardening and diy projects. She also said she's not in a rush to get married and she probably would say the same thing they've been saying since 3, "I'm happy waiting on the lord." At least that's the vibe I get. I am surprised that they listed 3 guys for courtships. That's going to be interesting...

So we get to see 3 Duggars graduate from high school.  We've already seen the pictures. :562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

38 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

So we get to see 3 Duggars graduate from high school.  We've already seen the pictures. :562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

Maybe we'll get an answer as to why the picture was taken in a construction zone...

7 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

Maybe we'll get an answer as to why the picture was taken in a construction zone...

he gave them each a backhoe and called it a day 

14 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I have look into their curriculum at great detail. This isn't a academic high school graduation. Their grammar is deplorable. This may have been mentioned but it drives me nuts when they can't figure out how to use the word "when" and "whenever." This is one of many examples. As a prof I have met several homeschooled children. I actually have seen amazing home schooled children, however, they generally came from more secular backgrounds. Often they would focus on Math, Languages, Science, History, Geography, etc.... for 3 or 4 hours a day. That leaves time for being in a youth symphony, Art, Athletics, etc..., in an environment with peers.

I have also met people who were home schooled where the focus was on the Jesus and they were radically underprepared for higher education. The ignorance (no fault of their own) baffled and continues to baffle me. 

The Duggar children seem to graduate from leaning the Bible rather than from high school.

1 hour ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

I have look into their curriculum at great detail. This isn't a academic high school graduation. Their grammar is deplorable. This may have been mentioned but it drives me nuts when they can't figure out how to use the word "when" and "whenever." This is one of many examples. As a prof I have met several homeschooled children. I actually have seen amazing home schooled children, however, they generally came from more secular backgrounds. Often they would focus on Math, Languages, Science, History, Geography, etc.... for 3 or 4 hours a day. That leaves time for being in a youth symphony, Art, Athletics, etc..., in an environment with peers.

What are the correct ways to say when and whenever? I give them a pass since I use when and whenever pretty interchangeably and although parts of my grammar education was lacking, I consider it pretty good. I think my when/whenever thing is colloquial. Like how I say "take a tub" instead of "take a bath"

But back to the question at hand: What are the correct ways?

4 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

I have also met people who were home schooled where the focus was on the Jesus and they were radically underprepared for higher education. The ignorance (no fault of their own) baffled and continues to baffle me. 

The Duggar children seem to graduate from leaning the Bible rather than from high school.

No, it wasn't. Their diplomas read that they graduated from "Duggar Academy." We've seen them test on computers until they pass. Jessa used to check the grades; now that's Tabby Paine's job. Who knows if the littles are even learning to read? 

I also wonder if Anna is using the services of Miss Paine, or if she's "educating" the M kids herself. She does have some kind of "degree" in early childhood education from a Christian diploma mill. I imagine Tabby has something similar. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

That's part of their regional dialect. There are people on this forum who use "whenever" the same way.

19 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

Did they all go to the ark thing? it was still looking like a construction zone when it opened

2 hours ago, halcionne said:

That's part of their regional dialect. There are people on this forum who use "whenever" the same way.

Yes, it's similar to how so many people use "may" when they actually mean "might." It's not a signifier of indifferent education; just a part of casual speech patterns which have muddied the waters a bit.

Anyone just coming out of a Stranger Things binge, like me? I loved the show so much I started researching all the actors and stuff. One of the little boys in the show, Caleb McLaughlin (who is also on Shades of Blue and Law & Order), is listed as an additional cast member in an episode of 19 Kids and Counting on IMDB. Can't figure out which episode, though. Weird coincidence.

14 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Anyone just coming out of a Stranger Things binge, like me? I loved the show so much I started researching all the actors and stuff. One of the little boys in the show, Caleb McLaughlin (who is also on Shades of Blue and Law & Order), is listed as an additional cast member in an episode of 19 Kids and Counting on IMDB. Can't figure out which episode, though. Weird coincidence.

Apparently it was the episode with Kirk Cameron that first aired Sept. 29, 2008

20 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Huh, interesting. My husband and I binge watched Stranger Things last week, then decided it ended too quickly so we are binge watching it again this week!:pb_lol:

2 hours ago, luxfilia said:

Whaaaa!

I am obsessed with Stranger Things. OBSESSED. I LOVE IT. I thought about making a thread in Quiverfull of Worldly Distractions but I hadn't heard anyone speak about it at all and I was going to be sad if it was just going to sit empty.

On 28/07/2016 at 9:27 PM, sophie10130 said:

I think my when/whenever thing is colloquial. Like how I say "take a tub" instead of "take a bath"

As you said colloquialisms aren't an indicator of education level. I have a degree in Journalism and an A Level in English Language, but I still say things like '9 while 5' in stead of '9 until 5' and 'tha sen' in stead of 'yourself'. That's the wonderful Barnsley accent for you! For example, imagine a female version of this...

Recently I had to take a spelling and grammar test when applying for a job. It's been so long since I've been in education that I had to Google a lot of the answers!

1 hour ago, Bushes of Love said:

As you said colloquialisms aren't an indicator of education level. I have a degree in Journalism and an A Level in English Language, but I still say things like '9 while 5' in stead of '9 until 5' and 'tha sen' in stead of 'yourself'. That's the wonderful Barnsley accent for you! For example, imagine a female version of this...

Recently I had to take a spelling and grammar test when applying for a job. It's been so long since I've been in education that I had to Google a lot of the answers!

Love it. Also love your location. I sang it in high school :pb_lol:

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 0:25 AM, Bad Wolf said:

I homeschool. I would like to see what curriculum they used. What's their requirements? Duggar Academy won't prepare you for anything

15 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

I homeschool. I would like to see what curriculum they used. What's their requirements? Duggar Academy won't prepare you for anything

In the early years, all they mentioned was the Gothard Wisdom Booklets and something called "Switched on Schoolhouse".    I'm not sure if we know for sure what they use now, but I think it's heavily computer based.

Today is Jenni's birthday. Here's what Mechelle (or Jana) wrote on FB. Compare and contrast to what Kelly Bates wrote about Callie on Instagram. It's sad and pathetic>

"Happy 9th birthday, Jenni! You are such a treasure and a blessing to us. We are looking forward to your ice cream celebration this evening! We also loved that you want to have your real party this weekend after your “buddy” Jill returns from Central America! We love you a million times over, sweet girl!"

We still don't know a thing about Jenni, but we DO know that Mama Jill will be home by Saturday! 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Today is Jenni's birthday. Here's what Mechelle (or Jana) wrote on FB. Compare and contrast to what Kelly Bates wrote about Callie on Instagram. It's sad and pathetic>

We still don't know a thing about Jenni, but we DO know that Mama Jill will be home by Saturday! 

Well, if she did say anything about Jenny, it would be about how they appreciate how she washes the dishes, cleans the bathrooms, babysits the little(r) guys, picks up her father's dirty underwear and always wears leggings so as not to tempt her brothers. IS she funny? Does she like to color? Draw? Sing? What's her favorite color/dessert/animal/game? Who knows? Certainly not her mother.

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Michelle is so fake. Poor Jenny. Her mom isn't here for her birthday. Can't believe she's 9 now. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived