IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

On 7/16/2016 at 9:21 AM, Four is Enough said:

... I've never actually seen Michelle do anything but exercise, roller skate, water ski, and pretend to teach school.

Don't forget give birth, get humped on a golf course, and stare adoringly at JimBob!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but Orange Clownmeat is clearly no Christian and a friend to PLanned Parenthood. They won't forget that.

6 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Yeah but Orange Clownmeat is clearly no Christian and a friend to PLanned Parenthood. They won't forget that.

On the other hand, he's exactly what I'm sure a lot of fundie men want to be: insanely rich and influential with a submissive fembot of a wife (who's only tolerating you because of that sweet, sweet divorce settlement she'll get when you can't PR your way out of getting caught screwing the receptionist 20 years younger than her), a gaggle of children who tolerate your weird sexual comments about them (because they're just waiting for you to drop dead and give them that sweet, sweet inheritance money), and a national audience who actually puts up with your bullshit.

14 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Oh no, they have that covered. The Evangelicals met with Trump and together they decided how to pull the wool over their constituents' eyes I mean they learned he now recognizes Jesus as his savior. Of COURSE he does.

15 minutes ago, gustava said:

And the christian right loathes Hilary.  They would vote for Satan over Hilary.

At least Satan is male.

1 hour ago, gustava said:

And the christian right loathes Hilary.  They would vote for Satan over Hilary.

Trump. Satan. Same diff.

5 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

At least Satan is male.

Why don't they ever pray for Satan?  I mean, come on, if ANYONE needed prayers and some "savin", it's Satan...

4 hours ago, zenbaby said:

Trump. Satan. Same diff.

I love that bumper sticker that says "We're Screwed 2016". 

I googled it just now to see if I got the wording right, and there are quite a few versions to choose from. I'm tempted to put one of them on our car.

6 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

I know it's the Daily Fail that is reporting it but I could see J'chelle trying this to get #20 :shakehead:

Think TLC would pay for a trip to Greece?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3699710/Scientists-REVERSE-menopause-Women-d-not-period-five-years-menstuating-ovaries-rejuvenated.html

Maybe that's where Jill and Derick can move. The people are Scary Taupe People (slightly less OMGDANGEROUS than Scary Brown People) and their Christianity is weird and full of gold and funny letters that don't spell out the King James Bible. Clearly they need two unemployed fundie hippies to show them the error of their ways.

On 7/19/2016 at 8:26 PM, Mela99 said:

They could overlooked Romney being an investor in Stericycle, so they can overlook at Trump's hypocrisy.  

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/romney-bain-abortion-stericycle-sec

Is anyone else bored by them?  No babies.  Nothing more on the courtship.  No sign of when the next season will start.  Am I missing something?  I haven't read the latest in all the threads. 

45 minutes ago, JMO said:

Is anyone else bored by them?  No babies.  Nothing more on the courtship.  No sign of when the next season will start.  Am I missing something?  I haven't read the latest in all the threads. 

The calm before the storm. Joshly might make his comeback soon.

On 7/19/2016 at 8:26 PM, Mela99 said:

The posts I read from Libby Anne and Fred Clark (the Slacktivist) indicate that fundies have rationalized their support in a variety of ways. The most popular seems to be that Trump is a strongman like the biblical king Cyrus, who while not a conventional conservative Christian, will protect the interests of those who are. Then there is the unsubstantiated rumor that Trump chose Jesus as his "personal Lord and savior." Whether it's true or not, a lot of people want it to be, so they believe it even without the slightest bit of evidence. Since fundies think Hillary Clinton is probably the only Democrat more evil than Obama himself, the GOP could field a potted plant and they'd rally behind it.

27 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The posts I read from Libby Anne and Fred Clark (the Slacktivist) indicate that fundies have rationalized their support in a variety of ways. The most popular seems to be that Trump is a strongman like the biblical king Cyrus, who while not a conventional conservative Christian, will protect the interests of those who are. Then there is the unsubstantiated rumor that Trump chose Jesus as his "personal Lord and savior." Whether it's true or not, a lot of people want it to be, so they believe it even without the slightest bit of evidence. Since fundies think Hillary Clinton is probably the only Democrat more evil than Obama himself, the GOP could field a potted plant and they'd rally behind it.

Ironically in a certain sense, or perhaps not, Ted Cruz isn't rallying to support him. Didn't some of these people get stirred up in the non-Biblical sense for Cruz initially? Seems like they'd take his lead.

55 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

the GOP could field a potted plant and they'd rally behind it.

Hmmm. I just might vote for a potted plant. Perhaps I could write it in.

Where's Snoopy when you need him?

(Was a Republican decades ago, but not for a long time now. Might have voted for Sanders, except he's out of it. Have no idea who's the lesser of the two evils in the coming election... Neither has any appeal at all.)

Perhaps TLC could orchestrate a Trump baptism by the Duggars as a live special? And the FSM could strike them down with lightning when they're all in the river? That would be television worth watching.

26 minutes ago, refugee said:

Hmmm. I just might vote for a potted plant. Perhaps I could write it in.

Where's Snoopy when you need him?

(Was a Republican decades ago, but not for a long time now. Might have voted for Sanders, except he's out of it. Have no idea who's the lesser of the two evils in the coming election... Neither has any appeal at all.)

Well, Sanders and Clinton's voting records are 95% the same and Trump is already screwing up American foreign policy.  Trump and Clinton are complete opposites.

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

Ironically in a certain sense, or perhaps not, Ted Cruz isn't rallying to support him. Didn't some of these people get stirred up in the non-Biblical sense for Cruz initially? Seems like they'd take his lead.

I know more about this than I want to know because two close friends are Cruz supporters.

What seems to have happened is that some former Cruz supporters have gone for Trump, but many others are still firmly "Never Trump." Some of these plan tovote Libertarian or other third party--there is talk of a "Conservative" party in some states.  Others, where write-ins are permitted will write in Cruz.  They will vote Republican for everything else, but not vote for Trump.  A few plan to not vote at all.

Meanwhile, the "A Vote for Trump is a vote against Hilary and all she represents" group has gained ground among many Republicans who previously hated Trump (not all of these were Cruz supporters).

As for the Fundies, I maintain that the reason Trump got some of the Fundie vote originally is that  Cruz has a Latino name.  Trump went after the Southern Racist Conservative vote by stressing his Americaness.

Cruz has not endorsed Trump. (This is not new--Reagan did not endorse Ford when Ford got the nomination instead of Reagan in 1976.--Wikipedia is wrong when it says he did-- read the speech.)  Cruz endorsed the party and the party's goals and platform, but not Trump himself.

The reason he hasn't done so is the same that Reagan had -- he wants to be the candidate next time around.  To endorse a candidate that you have been hostile to is to lose credibility among those who have followed you in criticizing that candidate. If Cruz wants to keep the support of his "base," he can't afford to endorse Trump.

Despite his born-again credentials, Cruz's main support has not been fundie but Conservative Republicans.  In this he resembles Carter who, though he had some Southern Baptists behind him, really got elected by the liberal, "Let's get someone who is not part of the establishment," vote.  (I don't mean that their politics are the same, of course. I mean that the impact that their religion had on their attracting/turning away followers.)

Personally, I voted for Carter--it was the first presidential election where I was old enough to vote--but I kind of liked Ford.  He was a truly decent guy, as politicians go, and so was Carter.  In retrospect, the elections of 1976 and 2016 are exact opposites in that in 76 we had two men of integrity as candidates while in 16 we have two candidates about whose integrity I have serious doubts.

But most people won't see it that way.  Even if they consciously vote for the lesser of two evils, they will persuade themselves that the evil they are voting for is much lesser than it is. ;)

Whoever said above about voting for a potted plant may have the right idea.

To the posters who mentioned voting for potted plants...I suggest baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy

#WeAreGroot2016

@EmCatlyn people spent so much time saying Cruz's face was evil, it struck me, well, "funny," that he isn't endorsing Trump, who has people calling Clinton Satan on his behalf. It's all weirder than I ever remember it being, though it seems weird every time. I was only 11 when Carter was elected (but oddly into it at the time, because I'd been following Watergate news right along,) but as I recall, Ford was stuck in neutral with the Nixon legacy, and so much still unresolved. And at the same time, yes, I don't recall anyone questioning either of their personal integrities, but neither was Congress going to be interested in working with either of them to resolve the energy "crisis."

I've been rereading today what Barry Goldwater said in 1994 about the dangers of religion creeping into the Republican party; he'd been warning of it for years, and had finally had enough. That Congressional election has had a lot to answer for.

Anyway and how, in terms of Duggars et all, I feel pretty certain that none of them really look more deeply into any of it but to see whichever candidate will pander to their hot button issues, with no regard for the big picture or international concerns or anything else.

6 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

the GOP could field a potted plant and they'd rally behind it.

I know everyone is quoting this, but it really is very good! Reminds me of this:

don.jpg

5 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

@EmCatlyn people spent so much time saying Cruz's face was evil, it struck me, well, "funny," that he isn't endorsing Trump, who has people calling Clinton Satan on his behalf. It's all weirder than I ever remember it being, though it seems weird every time. I was only 11 when Carter was elected (but oddly into it at the time, because I'd been following Watergate news right along,) but as I recall, Ford was stuck in neutral with the Nixon legacy, and so much still unresolved. And at the same time, yes, I don't recall anyone questioning either of their personal integrities, but neither was Congress going to be interested in working with either of them to resolve the energy "crisis."

I've been rereading today what Barry Goldwater said in 1994 about the dangers of religion creeping into the Republican party; he'd been warning of it for years, and had finally had enough. That Congressional election has had a lot to answer for.

Anyway and how, in terms of Duggars et all, I feel pretty certain that none of them really look more deeply into any of it but to see whichever candidate will pander to their hot button issues, with no regard for the big picture or international concerns or anything else.

I am not sure what you mean when you say it is "funny" that Cruz isn't endorsing Trump.  Do you mean that you think he ought to endorse Trump because Trump is so much nastier about Hilary? Or do you mean it serves Trump right, after all the insults leveled at Cruz, that Cruz isn't jumping on the bandwagon?

My take on all this is that it is political rather than personal. Cruz (and any politician) would "make friends" with Trump if he saw it as politically advantageous, but Cruz thinks that by holding on to his position he has a better chance of being reelected to the senate and being a presidential candidate in '20. 

As for Ford, yes, he was "touched by Watergate," though in fact he was picked as VP precisely because he was "clean."  Regarding whether he would or would not have made a better president for the times than Carter, the real test came with the Iran hostages, not the "energy crisis."  If Carter could have gotten the hostages out, he could have been reelected.  If the helicopters hadn't had problems and the military "rescue" of the hostages had succeeded, Carter might have been a hero (until the next thing went wrong).

But my original comment was not so much addressing Carter versus Ford in terms of effectiveness but rather Carter AND Ford versus Hillary Clinton AND Trump.  I think that in Trump and Hilary we have candidates who are more concerned with winning than with doing the right thing.  From Ford and Carter I got more of a sense of conviction, of decency. But maybe Trump and Hilary will grow on me (like mold).

Anyway, I agree about the problem with religion in politics.  I don't much care who/what/how a political candidate worships so long as s/he doesn't try to use political power to fotce others to conform to his/her beliefs.  And I do value integrity of beliefs even when I disagree.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived