IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

On 7/12/2016 at 6:23 PM, anotherone said:

And what was it she did when she found that Josh had "touched" the other girls?  Laid a rhinoceros? I doubt it was even an egg.

Reading this I couldn't help but picture one of those Fabio type romance novel covers with Derick and his blouse unbuttoned, the sides blowing open in the wind, along with his hippie hair, and Jill in a corseted dress and head thrown back  :)

Someone who is good at photoshop needs to make this a reality. Fundie Harlequin romance novels! I need titles and covers ASAP.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2016 at 6:24 PM, Bushes of Love said:

Maybe.

There is a test of how British a person is...if you say the words 'shag pile carpet' to them and they don't at least smirk then they aren't British. When I hear those words I think of a plush, fuzzy orgy and collapse into giggles.

I read a lot of books published in the U.K. when I was a kid. Despite my rather sheltered upbringing, I managed to learn the word shag. I never told my parents why I was visibly uncomfortable when they talked about home decor when they were growing up (or my uncle's apartment, which was, to put it kindly, a bit of a throwback even through the early nineties).  

13 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

But then, they never do. Reading interviews with them is like swallowing air. Highly unsatisfying.

I think they can't communicate well because no one has ever really listened to them. Growing up, usually your parents, grandparents, siblings and friends at least express some interest in the things you have to say and will listen while you talk. At school the teacher will ask you to express your opinion in papers, speeches, test answers, etc. But these kids lived in a madhouse of constant noise and their mother or older sisters were their teachers. I doubt they were ever encouraged to have their own opinions or independent thoughts and were tattled on and punished if they did. So they never learned to speak in a way that might interest others and they never had anyone listen to them or pay attention to what they were saying. Therefore, they have no idea how to express ideas as grown-ups.

On 7/5/2016 at 5:19 AM, Bushes of Love said:

One of my favourite memories of childhood was sitting around his record played, him with a glass of rum and me with an orange juice, and he would be teaching me the finer points of Pink Floyd and Neil Young.

If there is a god...it's Neil Young. 

Fundy Harlequin Romance titles:

"We Front Hugged before Marriage"

"Take Another Little Piece of my Heart"

"Modesty Panels"

"We Met in the Prayer Closet"

off to sketch some cover art....(but for that one, all I can think of is "Big Brother and the Holding Company" and Janis Joplin)

10 hours ago, Purrl said:

I think they can't communicate well because no one has ever really listened to them. Growing up, usually your parents, grandparents, siblings and friends at least express some interest in the things you have to say and will listen while you talk. At school the teacher will ask you to express your opinion in papers, speeches, test answers, etc. But these kids lived in a madhouse of constant noise and their mother or older sisters were their teachers. I doubt they were ever encouraged to have their own opinions or independent thoughts and were tattled on and punished if they did. So they never learned to speak in a way that might interest others and they never had anyone listen to them or pay attention to what they were saying. Therefore, they have no idea how to express ideas as grown-ups.

This may be true, but there is another option. I spend some years in a higly structured and authoritarian culture. Structured not as in organised but as in prescribed. For everything there was a proper way to feel, think and act. There was never a need to think independently of the group, and following the relevant authorities is the highest value. The result is that people have no opinions or are not aware of them. Yes, they may like a certain food or activity, but don't ask anything profound. They can only give you the party line.

Conversations became very factual, and predictable. Of course there were exceptions but they were few and far between. Getting to know somebody is also really hard, as they have barely developed their individuality.

Listening to the Duggar girls reminds me of that. Maybe it is not that they can't express themselves. Maybe there is nothing there to express. Or maybe they prefer the safety and convenience of not forming opinions, since they have a few clear rules to live by, that make opinions unnecessary. After all, thinking is work.

14 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Someone who is good at photoshop needs to make this a reality. Fundie Harlequin romance novels! I need titles and covers ASAP.

I was looking through some pictures thinking I might do some photoshop (tricky because Jill has her head in the same position in almost every photo ever taken of her!) and came across this jem of a picture! I searched and can't find whether it was discussed at the time

(Link for anyone interested)

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 16.18.39.png

19 hours ago, Purrl said:

This is an excellent point. Add in the fact that even more than the Maxwells, they really did grow up around cameras. They were taught to say things to placate adults and make the family look good, not to speak their minds or express themselves. They learned from every single adult in their lives, from their parents to the producers, that saying what adults want to hear is better than saying what you actually want to say. Eventually, they lose any sense of what they actually want to say.

8 hours ago, jas said:

I was looking through some pictures thinking I might do some photoshop (tricky because Jill has her head in the same position in almost every photo ever taken of her!) and came across this jem of a picture! I searched and can't find whether it was discussed at the time

Yes, that was Krispy Kreme's Dress Like a Pirate Day. 13 Duggars showed up to get a free dozen, apiece! Then, Muffy and Derelict gave their donuts to a transient couple. I forget exactly how they met; the couple had a car and were traveling. It's not like they were homeless people on the street. 

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

Yes, that was Krispy Kreme's Dress Like a Pirate Day. 13 Duggars showed up to get a free dozen, apiece! Then, Muffy and Derelict gave their donuts to a transient couple. I forget exactly how they met; the couple had a car and were traveling. It's not like they were homeless people on the street. 

To be totallyyyy fair to the Duggars when I lived in the South EVERYONE did Krispy Kreme's dress like a pirate day, and almost everyone seemed to go all out for the full dozen. Admittedly we were college kids though. One year I did it with 7 other people but they all left their donuts at my place that day so I ended up with literally 84 donuts that my roommate and I had to try to eat in the like 3 days before they get stale.

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

Ah that makes sense, thanks. The actual article linked was about them celebrating Columbus day which I had not come across before, not being from the US, and I wondered about the costumes.

It's nice to know you can step away for a few months and when you get back the whack-a-doodles are still whack.

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

It's nice to know you can step away for a few months and when you get back the whack-a-doodles are still whack.

It's one of the few constants in life. You can tack the Duggars idiocy on the adage about death and taxes. 

Well, I don't think I would sound very interesting if I was talking about my favorite outfit, either. "These are my favorite jeans. They were on buy-one-get-one-half-off sale, so I got two. This t-shirt is a pretty color and super comfy." Unless you're really into clothes, it's kind of a boring topic. 

On 7/14/2016 at 11:24 AM, jas said:

OH SHIT. I can see Derrick's shoulder. JIMMY CHOO (get it, like "nike" except for immodestly dressed men? lolololololol)

Anyway, I think @foreign fundie and @Purrl both have valid points. On one hand, they're totally parroting the company line, if you will. Their chaotic parenting/child-rearing style probably doesn't allow for any rhetoric or public speaking outside of promoting the family and its values. Josh is really the only one who could be considered well-spoken, but he's also the oldest and maybe adopted that as a "leader of the pack" characteristic. I don't think most 16-year-olds would jump at the opportunity to host a show about their family, like he did for the house-building special. I can't see any other child filling that role, other than Jill, but she kept her subject matter fairly light. Jessa just wants attention and makes inflammatory comments. On the other hand, they've been taught their whole lives that coloring outside the lines is a complete no-no. I will go out on a limb and say that I can't blame them for avoiding that. For those familiar with Orwell's 1984, Groupthink is probably a lot safer and more convenient, especially since they arguably have more at stake than the average person who wants to deviate from the norm. We can see different examples of it in "the world". I've got the elections on the brain (wake me up when November ends), and I've heard of many of my peers in past elections either being indifferent about who wins or vote solely based on for which party their parents vote. Is it the same or as extreme, maybe not quite. But, I think it's safe to say that going with the flow and familiar is much easier and less of a headache, their flow is just detrimental to general human development. Plus, if I've got 10 howlers needing something, I'm not exactly going to be pondering the complexities of society and the universe. 

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see they didn't mention modesty as a reason for choosing their clothing. I had to laugh when Jessa said she was "super into maxi skirts"....like, duh, of course you are. You have literally no other option. 

7 hours ago, O Latin said:

Well, I don't think I would sound very interesting if I was talking about my favorite outfit, either. "These are my favorite jeans. They were on buy-one-get-one-half-off sale, so I got two. This t-shirt is a pretty color and super comfy." Unless you're really into clothes, it's kind of a boring topic. 

Exactly, which begs the question 'why even bother?'  Who's idea was this little video anyway?  There really was no point to it. I can only imagine someone put them up to it.

1 hour ago, closetcagebaby said:

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see they didn't mention modesty as a reason for choosing their clothing. I had to laugh when Jessa said she was "super into maxi skirts"....like, duh, of course you are. You have literally no other option. 

she has worn shorter tight skirts- the only reason I am guessing is into maxi skirts is because she feel comfortable in them.  And she doesn't want to go the sexy duggar mama route anymore  because she is a mother. 

I'll bet it has alot more to do w/not shaving their legs than liking maxi skirts.

The only reason I am interested in a show about clothing is what I can learn that can benefit me.  I want to look at what's in style because I want to be in style; I want to look at clothes on a model because I want to guess how they will look on me.   I don't necessarily care about the backstory of the model or what she is personally super into.  Maybe I care to hear the opinion of someone if they are a designer or had experience marketing, creating, judging , selling, etc.  clothes but not because they simply used to wear really weird stuff.

I think yet again they have absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves as unique - no special skill, no knowledge, nothing.  Maybe they should market to their own kind, like how to sew those jumpers they used to wear.  People in conservative circles still wear those things and make them themselves.  I have a friend who's sister sews all the clothes for her kids and they are always matching dresses.  But did Michelle even sew those or did they buy them?

I'venever seen Michelle sewing, but I have seen Jana, and possibly Jill and Jessa, sewing at a bank of sewing machines in one of the early specials. I've never actually seen Michelle do anything but exercise, roller skate, water ski, and pretend to teach school.

On July 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM, foreign fundie said:

Yes there are but they don't speak English so they wouldn't understand. And they have all agreed to their kids having Bible lessons, so I think they would not be too concerned. They are far too happy the kids get English language education. Fortunately the first graders don't really speak English yet either, so they would not get this 'little pearl of wisdom'.

Anything can be made religious. 

" Mr Jones earns 45800 per year and tithes 5000 dollar. Mrs Jose earns 19000 per year and tithes 3000. Who loves God more? Explain your calculations. Quote the relevant scripture in your answer."

" Every week after the morning service, Mrs. Steinberg brews 3 gallons of coffee for the church members. How many gallons does she brew in a typical year of 52 Sundays?" 

The possibilities are endless. And don't get me started on science.

Hard to imagine someone named Steinberg making coffee for a church. :-)

What are the odds any of the Duggars make an appearance at the Republican convention next week? Would Huckabee let them hang around with him?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived