IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

The did make it seem like the couples weren't allowed to talk or text privately. I know it was discussed during the Benessa courting episodes that it seemed they were "allowed" to talk on the phone privately even though they portrayed that all interactions were chaperoned. I also think they were allowed to hold hands and front hug. They were just being disingenuous liars like usual. It was clear Jessa got annoyed with the lies and fakeness like Boob pointing out the hand holding and Jessa looking at him like "shut the fuck up please". I'm sure they held hands and it was all fucking fake. Stupid 

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how Jill holds up to the other alleged girlfriends Derick had before her. No way he dated somebody so stupidly fundie before her. And ugh, I'm annoyed that yet again, another male got to live a little and date before marrying and Duggar daughters aren't allowed the same opportunity.

13 minutes ago, season of life said:

I wonder how Jill holds up to the other alleged girlfriends Derick had before her. No way he dated somebody so stupidly fundie before her. And ugh, I'm annoyed that yet again, another male got to live a little and date before marrying and Duggar daughters aren't allowed the same opportunity.

I'm not surprised he dated before Jill. He didn't get religious till college. 

4 hours ago, cathgrl1 said:

Something smells about them breaking courtship rules though. They got away with it every night during their 11-month courtship? Even those several months before he moved to become JimBoob's beotch. There's no way they broke rules for that long. More likely, they were able to speak to each other unsupervised. Either it was agreed to from the beginning, or Jinger was the phone chaperone the whole time. Or they're fibbing now. Or the ghost writer is fibbing.

Did TLC cover Ben and Jessa's rules regarding courtship phone calls? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look.

If THEY made their own rules then they didn't break their rules.    Of course, Jebus Bob may not like that they didn't follow HIS rules - but if he truly gave them the choice, then he has nothing to complain about.  

Well, they say the kids make their own courtship rules, but when Jill front hugged Derrick at the airport, M was not amused. :my_cry:

She laid a huge egg about it. You'd have thought they had performed complete intercourse right there in the baggage claim in front of the whole family. Hypocrite, Bikini Michelle.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well, they say the kids make their own courtship rules, but when Jill front hugged Derrick at the airport, M was not amused. :my_cry:

Well, even non-fundie moms will get freaked out when their offspring do things that the moms don't approve of.   :kitty-wink:   I believe my kids' bodies are their own, but I hate it that they smoke, and I don't hide that it bothers me.  I don't mention it every time they step outside to pollute the air but I bring it up once in a while, because I am worried about them.  (And, no, I never smoked myself.)  If Michelle believes that her kids are sinning by front hugging, maybe her distress is no different from mine when my kids smoke. (Except I would probably not make a fuss in front of the cameras.)

12 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

Can I just say (for no particular reason) that I was in a marching band when I was younger (1st Tenor Horn - thanks for asking ;) ). We did a pretty good version of 'Eye of the Tiger' and wore sparkly jackets and cowboy hats (Rural England......... it was laughable). Every August Bank Holiday we would have run ins with the Morris Men because they didn't think we fitted in with the atmosphere of our quaint chocolate box village.......... ah, memories.

I played in my school brass band for five years. Baritone horn. 

We played at all the local village fetes during the summer. Loved it. Have very happy memories. We wore black and white. Long skirts for the girls. Evening trousers for the boys with dress shirts. Black velvet bow ties for all.

We did occasionally compete with the local Morris dancers!

Being Lancashire though we were appreciated as, sadly, the local mill brass bands had died out.

Very happy memories of 1970s Lancashire summers!!

On 7/8/2016 at 1:38 AM, samira_catlover said:

Pardon the REALLY dumb (see bolded), but is it possible to get a Master's degree in general musicky stuff, with a violin major/ specialization?  I mean, does one literally major in Trombone, with a whole lot of useful music knowledge backing it?  

(OK, that sounds really weird, but am quite used to engineers who have extremely specialized and limited degree callouts---basic AND advanced---like you won't believe.)

Or do you take a degree in Public Music Performance or whatever (*with chosen instrument of choice identified here*), and build from that?

You can go beyond a Masters if you want.  My guitar teacher has a Ph.D. in guitar performance, and many of the professors in our Conservatory have similar degrees.  (And yes, his talent level matches that degree)

As far as making it in music, depends on what they want.  30 min 5x a week is enough to be able to play in local bands and the like if you have some talent- I used to play viola in high school and college with that.  To become a serious musician, not even close.  To become a classical musician, insert laughter here.  Back when I was taking music theory at the Conservatory, the professor had a come to Jesus speech with the students since the prof had been in the building over the past few weekends and the practice rooms weren't full.  My teacher spends 30 minutes a day just on scales.  And as accomplished as he is, he still spends most of his time teaching since performance isn't going to pay the bills.

I really wonder if, before potential suitors become 'officially' involved with a Duggar girl they have to go through some sort of briefing, name names, and then old girlfriends/dates are checked out and maybe even asked to sign a non-disclosure.... Because I think it's interesting we've never heard from any other girl or college friend or anything of Derrick's/Jeremy's...

13 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I really wonder if, before potential suitors become 'officially' involved with a Duggar girl they have to go through some sort of briefing, name names, and then old girlfriends/dates are checked out and maybe even asked to sign a non-disclosure.... Because I think it's interesting we've never heard from any other girl or college friend or anything of Derrick's/Jeremy's...

I feel like Jeremy is still new enough that someone might come out of the woodwork. But you made a point I had never considered about non disclosure forms.

It's really weird for me to imagine Derick with a regular girlfriend. I find several aspects of the Duggar relationship standards icky (because of the father-husband power hand off) and it's just weird to imagine Derick going from equal or somewhat equal standings to the huge slant that is Jill. 

I am very slight in stature and my husband often has to help me reach things or help me do things around the house. There are certain chores I never do because I can't physically do them. He's ok with this because he knows I need his help. But if I was expecting him to help me do things that he knows I can do, like I'm sure Jill does to Derick... That would drive someone up a wall. Derick doesn't seem to get off on power the way Ben does, so having a hopeless wife doesn't seem like a plus for him. 

If someone asks you to sign a no disclosure agreement, do you have to? If TLC came calling asking me to hide dating an ex of mine to keep a fundie's reputation clean... I just don't think I could do that.

@BabyBottlePop NDAs are like any other contract - optional. TLC couldn't force some random exBF/GF to sign one. Often NDAs are accompanied by some sort of compensation for the silence of signatory, other times it is more of a mutual NDA. Frequently there are penalties associated with violation of the NDA, however their enforceability varies by the nature of the NDA and jurisdiction. Also, NDAs cannot override other legally required information disclosures (such as in legal discovery). 

I could see TLC trying to get NDAs signed off from anyone they viewed as having potentially vexious information to the reputation of anyone on the show, but the logistics of identifying everyone with that sort of information (esp. With the proliferation of pics/social media now a days) and convincing them to sign would be a Herculan task. It would also have the effect of alerting those people to the fact that the information they have about person/situation x has value. For this reason, if I were in TLC's position, I'd be cautious about the use of NDAs for anyone who didn't have nude pics or sex tapes in their possession, and would probably incline to hoping that the people who had more generic 'negative' info wouldn't know what to do it it/how to snag the media with it.

I've signed a few NDAs in my day, but only after receiving legal advice and when doing so was clearly in my interest. Most of the time my response would be to tell the requestor to piss off and then I'd consider calling a journalist 'friend' and seeing if they wanted to grab a drink and have a chat. Slightly evil, but I don't like being told what I can and can't discuss.... 

I would be amazed if TLC, the Duggars or anyone could successfully get NDAs signed by ex-girlfriends or others. 

I can see where to appear on the show, they'd have to sign contracts that they won't disclose unaired content/outcome, etc.  That would seem to me to be pretty standard for "reality" shows.

More likely, I think Derrick's former girlfriends haven't come forward because 1) they liked the guy and don't want to screw things up for him or 2) they're embarrassed to admit they dated a Duggar-in-law.

As for Jeremy, I think we'll start to hear from some of his former team mates and college friends.  They're likely shopping their stories now.  Of course, it could be that there's really not anything interesting in his background--just a lot of usual teenage/college boy stuff that wouldn't really be shocking to the rest of us...maybe the Duggars, but not to those who live in the real world and the only one hurt by stories would be Jinger and who wants to hurt her?

2 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I feel like Jeremy is still new enough that someone might come out of the woodwork. But you made a point I had never considered about non disclosure forms.

It's really weird for me to imagine Derick with a regular girlfriend. I find several aspects of the Duggar relationship standards icky (because of the father-husband power hand off) and it's just weird to imagine Derick going from equal or somewhat equal standings to the huge slant that is Jill. 

I am very slight in stature and my husband often has to help me reach things or help me do things around the house. There are certain chores I never do because I can't physically do them. He's ok with this because he knows I need his help. But if I was expecting him to help me do things that he knows I can do, like I'm sure Jill does to Derick... That would drive someone up a wall. Derick doesn't seem to get off on power the way Ben does, so having a hopeless wife doesn't seem like a plus for him. 

If someone asks you to sign a no disclosure agreement, do you have to? If TLC came calling asking me to hide dating an ex of mine to keep a fundie's reputation clean... I just don't think I could do that.

Trying to think what I would do in that case. It's not like Derick left one of them for Jill, right? I'm sure if any of them had concerns, they would've tried to contact TLC, the Duggars(even if it DOES start with Jimbob) etc. But it probably was, at least before he went to Nepal. I'd like to think they, after all that time, don't want to go there, and think, if Derick wants to marry into a public-figure-family and have his name dragged through the mud, all the more power to him.

Oh, I'm not saying I would want to destroy Derick's reputation if I was an ex girlfriend. I would just be annoyed they wanted me to "not exist", if that makes sense.

15 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Maybe no one cares...  Like People I mean.  Of course we care   :)

Even if I am not on fj I am haunted by fundies. Today I was reminded of the Duggar girls when I had to check my first grader's homework. What the heck???

P60711-180425.jpg

2 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Even if I am not on fj I am haunted by fundies. Today I was reminded of the Duggar girls when I had to check my first graders homework. What the heck?

P60711-180425.jpg

is this evil public school?

No, I am half a world away from the US of A and it is not even an American school. I did not know my kid was learning fundie math. That Bob Jones guy has some long arms...

On July 7, 2016 at 10:54 AM, samira_catlover said:

Well, no new news, but would like feedback on way olde stuff.  While reading the biographies of the clan, they kept talking about how musical the kids were---learning piano and violin at young ages, and how one was good enough to a concert musician (and think there was something like the girls could earn money teaching music).  Can someone with musical knowledge (Unalloyed Tin Ear over here) please give some info on just how capable the kids are in real life? (Think they were supposed to have 30 mins practice/instrument/5x a week---is this typical?)

Chiming in cause I hated hearing them play on 19kac! Knowing how to play an instrument doesn't necessarily make them musical, :my_smile:. My biggest complaint is their pitch. When they play violins they are always slightly out of tune, either because they haven't mastered their finger positions, or they don't properly tune their instruments prior playing. Pitch problems that are not corrected whilst playing are typical with novice musicians. They are not good enough string players to give performances beyond a novelty guest appearance IMO.

Yes, some of the older girls could probably teach beginning to early intermediate piano, but that is all I would pay them for. I don't know if they have the ability to articulate their knowledge and technique to another student in a masterful way.

Teaching harp lessons could be lucrative for them, however. There is not an abundance of Harp teachers out there, or harp players because it is a large, cumbersome, and expensive instrument.

25 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Even if I am not on fj I am haunted by fundies. Today I was reminded of the Duggar girls when I had to check my first grader's homework. What the heck???

P60711-180425.jpg

Reading this on a small Kindle. I thought it said yourself LOST, not last. How appropriate.

I know I'm an ebil Catholic who went to ebil Catholic school and therefore knows nothing, but what ON EARTH does religious belief have to do with telling the time??! 

Talk about an irrelevant clusterfuck of a text book..... :dontgetit:

19 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

No, I am half a world away from the US of A and it is not even an American school. I did not know my kid was learning fundie math. That Bob Jones guy has some long arms...

Are there non-Christian children in your school? Because if so, I think some parents need to know about these workbooks

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Are there non-Christian children in your school? Because if so, I think some parents need to know about these workbooks

Yes there are but they don't speak English so they wouldn't understand. And they have all agreed to their kids having Bible lessons, so I think they would not be too concerned. They are far too happy the kids get English language education. Fortunately the first graders don't really speak English yet either, so they would not get this 'little pearl of wisdom'.

20 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

I know I'm an ebil Catholic who went to ebil Catholic school and therefore knows nothing, but what ON EARTH does religious belief have to do with telling the time??! 

Talk about an irrelevant clusterfuck of a text book..... :dontgetit:

Anything can be made religious. 

" Mr Jones earns 45800 per year and tithes 5000 dollar. Mrs Jose earns 19000 per year and tithes 3000. Who loves God more? Explain your calculations. Quote the relevant scripture in your answer."

" Every week after the morning service, Mrs. Steinberg brews 3 gallons of coffee for the church members. How many gallons does she brew in a typical year of 52 Sundays?" 

The possibilities are endless. And don't get me started on science.

I have a friend who is super religious and is extremely well-versed in the Bible and was homeschooled most of her life until high school. She believes in evolution and all that it entails.

Anyway, my friend was a fellow physics major with me and she taught math to a small Christian English school in Asia. It was a lot of missionary kids and from what I understand was basically all the homeschooled kids getting together in, well... school.

So when she got the job her supervisor told her that they were recreating the math curriculum and that EVERY UNIT had to relate back to religion in some way. She was telling me how basically impossible it was. 

She was like, "And then we got to the subtraction unit and I had no idea what to do. So on the first day I said something about how God can give and take and that was like adding and subtracting and I just hoped it was good enough!"

She was also telling me that the science curriculum was based off of the 4000 year old earth model. And like I said earlier, my friend is a PHYSICIST and it KILLED HER. She tutored a student who was having trouble in science and he was asking her all these questions like "How do we know that it's only 4000 years old?" And my friend, who is usually very tactful and temperate was just like "Listen kid. They're lying to you. This isn't how it has to be. You can be a scientist and still believe in God and still be awed by him."

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived