IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

Also not a musician, but I have friends in music ed and/or are trying to create serious careers for themselves in the music world. I can't speak for the Duggars' talents, but the classical music industry is very ruthless. Many of my friends who are pursuing Masters degrees in their instrument had a double major in performance and music education for undergrad because they knew the realities of what they were doing and music ed is a far more secure career. Even the non music ed folks teach on the side or have found other ways to use their music skills (one person is doing event planning for a music festival and has experience managing performance venues). Lotso wedding string quartets end up being a means of performing. IIRC, the director of the local community orchestra fills IV bags at an area hospital as his day job.

With all that in consideration, I share the doubt that the Duggars have the talent to perform professionally or outside of the Christian music scene. It's not to say that they couldn't, I'm sure if they had the same prioritization of their music and intense practice schedule, they could do decently, as could any other person with that work ethic. That being said, even degreed, serious musicians have trouble finding something stable in a professional orchestra. Even if they did, it doesn't pay well. The Cleveland Orchestra is incredibly respected and I heard that their performers make somewhere in the $20 thousands (I have no source for this, just word of mouth). Furthermore, competition's stiff. Since the Duggars don't seem to play anything outside of violin or piano, they'd have to beat out every other violinist or pianist (ie, a lot). Maybe they'd have better luck if they took up the bagpipes or didgeridoo.

They could possibly do an independent Christian music career, like Erin, but it will not put tater-tot casserole on the table. There might be some conflict of interest in bigger orchestras for "worldly music". Almost every bigger orchestra I know of has a John Williams concert. Have fun trying to explain Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Harry Potter to the Duggars :P.      

While we're on worldly, filthy John Williams music, enjoy yourselves:

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started playing sax about 3 years ago, and play with a community band. We're not brilliant,  but we have fun. We play for nursing homes and picnics. We've played all the John Williams stuff previously mentioned. I've always felt sorry that the kids couldn't join a local orchestra and enjoy playing with others. It would really stretch them.

4 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

Also not a musician, but I have friends in music ed and/or are trying to create serious careers for themselves in the music world. I can't speak for the Duggars' talents, but the classical music industry is very ruthless. Many of my friends who are pursuing Masters degrees in their instrument had a double major in performance and music education for undergrad because they knew the realities of what they were doing and music ed is a far more secure career. Even the non music ed folks teach on the side or have found other ways to use their music skills (one person is doing event planning for a music festival and has experience managing performance venues). Lotso wedding string quartets end up being a means of performing. IIRC, the director of the local community orchestra fills IV bags at an area hospital as his day job.

With all that in consideration, I share the doubt that the Duggars have the talent to perform professionally or outside of the Christian music scene. It's not to say that they couldn't, I'm sure if they had the same prioritization of their music and intense practice schedule, they could do decently, as could any other person with that work ethic. That being said, even degreed, serious musicians have trouble finding something stable in a professional orchestra. Even if they did, it doesn't pay well. The Cleveland Orchestra is incredibly respected and I heard that their performers make somewhere in the $20 thousands (I have no source for this, just word of mouth). Furthermore, competition's stiff. Since the Duggars don't seem to play anything outside of violin or piano, they'd have to beat out every other violinist or pianist (ie, a lot). Maybe they'd have better luck if they took up the bagpipes or didgeridoo.

They could possibly do an independent Christian music career, like Erin, but it will not put tater-tot casserole on the table. There might be some conflict of interest in bigger orchestras for "worldly music". Almost every bigger orchestra I know of has a John Williams concert. Have fun trying to explain Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Harry Potter to the Duggars :P.      

While we're on worldly, filthy John Williams music, enjoy yourselves:

We played the Jurassic park theme song in band in 8th grade! 

John Williams is so prolific as a film composer it's insane.  Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Home Alone.  And those are just off the top of my head.

Shame that their closed-mindedness won't allow them to enjoy the beauty of his music.

On 5 July 2016 at 6:19 AM, Bushes of Love said:

Now I'm in my 30s my dad has turned into a best friend. But to be fair he was always a best friend when I was growing up, not in a sense of letting me do what I want but in the sense that we've always loved hanging out together. We've had an odd situation where it was just me and him when I was growing up as my mum died when I was 6 and my sister wanted to live with our grandfather. One of my favourite memories of childhood was sitting around his record played, him with a glass of rum and me with an orange juice, and he would be teaching me the finer points of Pink Floyd and Neil Young. Also when I was 18/19 years old he would get back from an evening at the pub and we would sit on the stairs (me at the top stair, him on the bottom stair), we would talk long into the night about life, the universe and everything.

My dad is ace.

You are very lucky. He sounds like a super dad.

I love my dad to bits. I am only now getting to know him. He is 82, I am 56. Sadly my narsasitic mother ruined any chance I had of getting to know him when we were both younger.

Cherish him.

Does anyone else think it's Ironic that the news of Ben and Jessa breaking courtship rules, Derrick having GF's before Jill came out around the same time as Jeremys arrest record is made public?

2 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Does anyone else think it's Ironic that the news of Ben and Jessa breaking courtship rules, Derrick having GF's before Jill came out around the same time as Jeremys arrest record is made public?

Breaking what courtship rules?

10 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

(snip) Also not a musician, but I have friends in music ed and/or are trying to create serious careers for themselves in the music world. I can't speak for the Duggars' talents, but the classical music industry is very ruthless. Many of my friends who are pursuing Masters degrees in their instrument had a double major in performance and music education for undergrad because they knew the realities of what they were doing and music ed is a far more secure career.(snip)

Pardon the REALLY dumb (see bolded), but is it possible to get a Master's degree in general musicky stuff, with a violin major/ specialization?  I mean, does one literally major in Trombone, with a whole lot of useful music knowledge backing it?  

(OK, that sounds really weird, but am quite used to engineers who have extremely specialized and limited degree callouts---basic AND advanced---like you won't believe.)

Or do you take a degree in Public Music Performance or whatever (*with chosen instrument of choice identified here*), and build from that?

On 7/5/2016 at 10:08 AM, HereticHick said:

I had no idea that "Duggar Studios" was still a thing.What exactly have they produced?

Tee shirts!

Can I just say (for no particular reason) that I was in a marching band when I was younger (1st Tenor Horn - thanks for asking ;) ). We did a pretty good version of 'Eye of the Tiger' and wore sparkly jackets and cowboy hats (Rural England......... it was laughable). Every August Bank Holiday we would have run ins with the Morris Men because they didn't think we fitted in with the atmosphere of our quaint chocolate box village.......... ah, memories.

19 hours ago, Mothership said:

Okay Duggars--it's time for you to do something really stupid, have another scandal break open, anything,....please.  The drift on the FJ threads is driving me crazy! :content:

http://zedicy542.blogspot.ca/

Has this been discussed already? Whoever plays "Ashleigh" is back to her old tricks, and making up stories about the Duggars all over again. Maybe "it" read that and decided to take action? No one's responding yet, really. I guess everyone knows that blog is fake

Hey @samira_catlover. So, the degree program is a Master of Music in performance (in whatever instrument you are specializing). From my understanding, you play in an ensemble (or a few) like orchestra, wind ensemble, band, stuff like that. Then you take classes in your instrument. Other stuff goes with it, like there was a bibliography class I heard about and music history. So the focus is on further improving your skills as an instrumentalist and preparing for professional playing. 

Again, I'm not a musician, this is just what I've picked up from my friends who are. A better explanation might be found on a university's website for their music program. I won't list where I'm referring to for the sake of keeping things anonymous, but I mentioned that I am an Ohioan who did not go to Ohio State in another thread, so here's the Ohio State music program website, haha: https://music.osu.edu/graduate-studies

Hope this helped 

11 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Breaking what courtship rules?

I agree, what rules were broken? DId we miss something?

14 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Something smells about them breaking courtship rules though. They got away with it every night during their 11-month courtship? Even those several months before he moved to become JimBoob's beotch. There's no way they broke rules for that long. More likely, they were able to speak to each other unsupervised. Either it was agreed to from the beginning, or Jinger was the phone chaperone the whole time. Or they're fibbing now. Or the ghost writer is fibbing.

Did TLC cover Ben and Jessa's rules regarding courtship phone calls? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look.

1 minute ago, cathgrl1 said:

Something smells about them breaking courtship rules though. They got away with it every night during their 11-month courtship? Even those several months before he moved to become JimBoob's beotch. There's no way they broke rules for that long. More likely, they were able to speak to each other unsupervised. Either it was agreed to from the beginning, or Jinger was the phone chaperone the whole time. Or they're fibbing now. Or the ghost writer is fibbing.

Did TLC cover Ben and Jessa's rules regarding courtship phone calls? I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look.

Are you referring to what I think you are?

1 minute ago, cathgrl1 said:

I'm not sure. I'm referring to this:

Ahhh.  I thought someone was alleging that they'd done something a little more....involved.

But this?  Once you get over the hilarity of it, it's actually sad.  They had unchaperoned talks where they spoke about....what they'd done that day! BOOGA BOOGA!

:my_cry:

16 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

John Williams is so prolific as a film composer it's insane.  Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Home Alone.  And those are just off the top of my head.

Shame that their closed-mindedness won't allow them to enjoy the beauty of his music.

Those are the greatest theme songs of the movie industry. You hear the opening of Jaws theme or HP Hedwings Song and you just know what it is. John Williams is a legend.

23 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

Ahhh.  I thought someone was alleging that they'd done something a little more....involved.

But this?  Once you get over the hilarity of it, it's actually sad.  They had unchaperoned talks where they spoke about....what they'd done that day! BOOGA BOOGA!

Yes. Like high school kids. That's great for them. But J'illard didn't even have that.

1 hour ago, kunoichi66 said:

I just can't process that anyone thinks  you need a chaperone to talk on the freaking phone with the person you're planning to spend the rest of your life with. 

1 hour ago, cathgrl1 said:

I am in the camp - they phoned each other every night and spoke for hours by themselves 

These two had such a history that you could see it through the screen. 

and when he moved in - it was stated that Ben and Jessa spent a lot of time in his room with a chaperone - yes it could have been Jordyn and what does a 5-6 years old know when Ben and Jessa are discussing really personal things - all that winking at the wedding and pre wedding meant something !!!

I don't think Jinger was involved in being a phone chaperone unless she listened in with her ears closed. 

they cover tons of things up 

1 hour ago, kunoichi66 said:

Are you referring to what I think you are?

yes

13 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Pardon the REALLY dumb (see bolded), but is it possible to get a Master's degree in general musicky stuff, with a violin major/ specialization?  I mean, does one literally major in Trombone, with a whole lot of useful music knowledge backing it?  

(OK, that sounds really weird, but am quite used to engineers who have extremely specialized and limited degree callouts---basic AND advanced---like you won't believe.)

Or do you take a degree in Public Music Performance or whatever (*with chosen instrument of choice identified here*), and build from that?

I know very little about specific programs, but I do know that there are two possible master's degrees:  The "master of music" (MM) focuses on performance and "hands on" stuff, so would include expertise in some kind of instrument or voice, while the "master of arts" (MA) in music would be more theoretical, requiring some "research" and not necessarily expertise in an instrument.  

For what it's worth . . .

39 minutes ago, nst said:

I don't think Jinger was involved in being a phone chaperone unless she listened in with her ears closed. 

they cover tons of things up 

I totally think that.

Anyway, why is it news that Derick had previous girlfriends and Jenessa talked on the phone? Did they say on the show that Derick didn't have girlfriends and Jenessa didn't talk on the phone alone? 

10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Anyway, why is it news that Derick had previous girlfriends and Jenessa talked on the phone? Did they say on the show that Derick didn't have girlfriends and Jenessa didn't talk on the phone alone? 

More importantly, why is it news that they had normal, human interactions with other people? Because Duggarland is a crazy patriarchal wonderland, that's why.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived