IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

On 9/12/2016 at 6:11 PM, sophie10130 said:

Think about the "modern" women who stay with men that don't respect them because they are afraid of the future or don't know where they will live or how they will pay the bills without two incomes. Both are sad cases. One in fundie-dom, one in downtown Manhattan. 

Reminds me of the book Slaves of New York by Tama Janowitz, where she describes how you are almost a slave to your partner because you cant afford your own apartment. 

She also wrote a great story, funny too, about when they went to China to adopt their child. Off topic but great reading.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a friend of mine (we live in Massachusetts) is an aide at a high school who substitutes when needed. He has a high school education, no college degree. The school is for troubled kids, so maybe they just take who they can get? 

I'm not sure why the substitute thing is being debated, so for information sake I dug out their book from my storage box and snapped a picture of the page. It's clear as day, she substitute taught. So either the laws are more lax in Arkansas or they are lying about it. Regardless it's there IMG_20160913_170709239.jpg

11 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Yeah, a friend of mine (we live in Massachusetts) is an aide at a high school who substitutes when needed. He has a high school education, no college degree. The school is for troubled kids, so maybe they just take who they can get? 

That easily could be that.  It's probably not easy for them to find subs. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Uncertified with a college degree, yes, in some states. A person without any college at all? I don;t think so. I don't you think you can even be an aide without any college credits.

Here you can sub without a college degree but you need at least a year or two of college.subs with bachelor's get paid more than those without degrees. You can also sub as a teaching assistant without a degree. You get paid even less. The highest paid subs are certified teachers.

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

I'm not sure why the substitute thing is being debated, so for information sake I dug out their book from my storage box and snapped a picture of the page. It's clear as day, she substitute taught. So either the laws are more lax in Arkansas or they are lying about it. Regardless it's there IMG_20160913_170709239.jpg

Why are they using first person AND  third person? They say " Jim Bob did x... Michelle did y.... With their parents.... We also worked on our... We loved our lives"

It doesn't say she subbed in a public school....she could've subbed in a private one.  I taught in a private school with no college degree....and some of our subs had just high school, no college.  It wasn't a requirement.  

9 minutes ago, BoPeep said:

It doesn't say she subbed in a public school....she could've subbed in a private one.  I taught in a private school with no college degree....and some of our subs had just high school, no college.  It wasn't a requirement.  

I was think it was a private school also. I have a friend who worked in a Catholic school. During his time their they got a new principal and the guy never worked in a school before. 

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I was think it was a private school also. I have a friend who worked in a Catholic school. During his time their they got a new principal and the guy never worked in a school before. 

As a teacher it is baffling when a principal has never taught in a classroom. But never worked in a school before? That seems ridiculous. Like hiring a supervisor for a factory who has never worked in one. Doesn't seem helpful

I know in PA I"m pretty sure you need a bachelors to substitute. Also she was a troop leader? Isn't girl scouts WAYYY too liberal for them? Or are we assuming this is before they joined Gothard?

4 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I know in PA I"m pretty sure you need a bachelors to substitute. Also she was a troop leader? Isn't girl scouts WAYYY too liberal for them? Or are we assuming this is before they joined Gothard?

I think this is pre-Gothard. I get the feeling Gothard didn't come into play until the birth control miscarriage debacle went down.

To the posters above, I didn't even think about private school. I guess they didn't specify public or private, regardless, either way she was a working gal.

Weird how Michelle was a working woman and provided income for her household. Something she took away from her daughters. I really wonder what the Duggars would be like if they never got sucked up by fundamentalism. I think they wouldn't have hit double digit children.....I would be shocked if they stopped at Jinger, or even Jill. 

The quote where it said JB encouraged M to do whatever she found rewarding but she did not have to feel pressure to provide an income, sounded condescending. 'Honey, we don't need your money, I can provide all by myself. You just do what you like'. He could have shown appreciation for the money she contributed and even if it was not needed immediately. They could have used it for extras or savings for future kids.

Also they were childless for years. If you are told you do not need to contribute to the family income, wouldn't you feel useless? A two person household is not full time employment, and intellectual development seems to not have been on her radar.

As a working mum, I find my work rewarding, but the fact that I help provide for my family is also a rewarding thing in itself. Why take that away from your wife? Just so you can be the 'man' and don't need your spouse except for sex and laundry? 

Considering someone's contribution as important is also a form of respect.

3 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Weird how Michelle was a working woman and provided income for her household. Something she took away from her daughters. I really wonder what the Duggars would be like if they never got sucked up by fundamentalism. I think they wouldn't have hit double digit children.....I would be shocked if they stopped at Jinger, or even Jill. 

**WOULDN'T be shocked. typo...apologies 

12 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

As a teacher it is baffling when a principal has never taught in a classroom. But never worked in a school before? That seems ridiculous. Like hiring a supervisor for a factory who has never worked in one. Doesn't seem helpful

The guy was a retired NYC cop and a deacon in the church.  My friend ended up leaving the school & going to teach in public school. 

Has JB and M's temporary guardianship of her niece's son been discussed? I searched the mother's name, and didn't find anything.

Is InTouch a reliable source? Did they break the molestation scandal, or am I making that up?

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jim-bob-duggar-michelle-duggar-20th-kid-113463

I can't really get past WHAT. Someone, please tell me I'm falling for a load of crap.

I just saw that too, on the equally reputable Daily Mail. That poor kid has had a rough life, and it might not be taking a turn for the better.

19 minutes ago, CreationMuseumCurator said:

Has JB and M's temporary guardianship of her niece's son been discussed? I searched the mother's name, and didn't find anything.

Is InTouch a reliable source? Did they break the molestation scandal, or am I making that up?

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jim-bob-duggar-michelle-duggar-20th-kid-113463

I can't really get past WHAT. Someone, please tell me I'm falling for a load of crap.

I doubt they'd actually keep him off the air if it's true

Do Girl Scout leaders also draw a salary? Damn, I've been living in all the wrong places.

I think the next paragraph in the book explains the "teaching" role. It was teaching Bible School-

Another exaggeration of career paths-

34 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I doubt they'd actually keep him off the air if it's true

Agreed...I have no doubts that they would be all over this on the show, especially after all the unending adoption talk, at least after any adoption is finalized. These people have zero boundaries.

If this is true, then this is pretty big news actually. And what a sad story indeed...but if it's true, also kind of surprising because I was under the impression that Michelle wasn't particularly close with her family, but I could be wrong? 

So crazy that this child's mother is a Duggar cousin, yet has lived such a radically different life than them. I can actually see a bit of a resemblance, something in the eyes reminds me a bit of Jessa. I hope she Is able to get on her feet and whatever care she needs, and that her son doesn't have to suffer any more from all this.

JB and Mushelle need to be prepared to raise a child that is,  A. 8 years old, and , B. from a difficult background.  Older children, especially when they will not be the youngest in the family, present some real challenges.  I wish the little guy well.

I imagine that if its true then as soon as they go to court and its finalised they'll start pushing him on the air.

@nana sew dear JB and M won't raise this kid.  Jana and Joy are still in the house.  Plus its a boy so JD and Joe will help take him off to do manly things, Ben may even help since JB pays him as an errand boy.

Adding children does not add work for JB & M and hasn't in a long time (though they did do some work with Josie).  Its all on the big kids.

But i completely agree that this kid will be a challenge, and I expect some challenging behaviours from their littles as well. Josie won't take this easy.  If he'd come in when there was still a new kid every 18months, there would have been less resistance from his peers as they're used to new kids/babies.  But Josie, Jordyn & Jenny aren't.

I hope they don't break his will with plumbing line and are nice to him and are nice about his parents.

I'd be very surprised if the Duggars could pass a home study. Or is there some kind of loophole because the kid is related/the mother signed her rights over?

If this adoption thing is for real, though, I can guarantee you they'll start trotting the poor boy out as an example of why Roe vs Wade should be repealed, because his teenage mum *could* have aborted him, and then they wouldn't have such a precious blessing.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived