IGNORED

Breaking news attack in Istanbul airport

laPapessaGiovanna

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/turkey-airport-explosions-ataturak-istanbul

Ten people have been killed in an attack on Turkey’s largest airport, Istanbul Atatürk, according to the country’s justice minister.

Two suspects blew themselves up outside the security checkpoint at the entry to the international terminal, after police opened fire on them, according to another Turkish official. 

A spokesperson for the Istanbul police told the Guardian that “a bomb exploded at the airport and there are many casualties”, adding that the exact number is not yet known.

The police spokesperson said that one person, “maybe a terrorist”, opened fire at police guarding the outside of the airport in order to gain access to the international terminal before detonating a bomb, “maybe a suicide bomb”.

State-run TRT television said an explosion hit a control point at the international arrival terminal of the airport.

A witness told broadcaster CNN Turk that gunfire was also heard from the car park at the airport. Taxis were ferrying wounded people from the airport, the witness told CNN Turk.

I don't even know what to say anymore. I really wouldn't want to think that there are more victims, more distraught families, that I need to check my cousin's bf is alive and well because he goes there twice a week. We can't go on like this. 

This is so sad.  I saw this a moment ago on FB...a local band was flying there today.  They'd just posted about the explosions and them staying put where they are. :my_sad:

:(

I was there in 2012, flew in and out of Atatürk on my trip to Türkiye.  It pains me to see this shit going on in Turkey right now.  It's such a lovely country with such great people and they don't deserve this.  (And NO, it would not stop me from going back there.  Up yours terrorists and other religious extremists of any and all religious faiths).

I cannot believe there is yet another brutal, senseless mass killing.  The video I saw was horrid.

Thoughts and prayers going out to those impacted.

*All Kindly Loving Deities, please end your coffee break, STAT.  We need you NOW and active, to stop these horrors.*

Candles and incense in play for the dead and for the survivors, but good heavens, what the heck will be needed to stop this insane madness?

And the numbers of the dead and injured keep climbing. 

Another day, another mass murder. Thoughts and prayers, anyone? Don't waste your breath...

“Unless all government and the entire mankind join forces in the fight against terrorism, much worse things than what we fear to imagine today will come true.” ~ President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

I really don't have words. Istanbul holds a special place in my heart, and all my love and prayers are going out to those who are hurting tonight. 

CNN is now reporting 36 killed and 147 injured.  Could we be more fucked up as a planet?  I think not. Perhaps some people reading this post will know that I am atheist. And this is largely why.  No way there is some entity guiding humans. Why are we doing this to each other?  We are on this tiny planet, perhaps unique in our universe. And we just kill each other. 

So sad.  I just don't understand what drives a person to do something like this.  How religion warps a persons thoughts and beliefs and until something like this sounds like a good idea.

I feel so overwhelmed by the violence going on in the world. I know there has always been violence, but lately it seems like one thing after another constantly.

My sympathies of course go out to the victims and their families, but that seems so hollow when I have to keep saying it about so many different horrific acts.

How long this will continue? How many people will die, get injured, lose heir loved ones? We are tired of this, the World is tired. 
I pray for the victims,  I pray for their families and friends, but this morning it just feels like we have to pray too much lately. 

5 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

@laPapessaGiovanna I hope you find your cousin's bf safe and unharmed. I'm lifting up prayers for your peace of mind.

Thank you! He is fine just a bit shaken by the news.  At the last family gathering I asked how was the situation in Turkey and he told me that for security reasons his firm discourages their employees from wandering around the city because there are often little attacks here and there, mainly cars blowing up, that don't even make the international news. It's thoroughly a sad and enraging situation. 

It feels like there's more and more violence happening now than ever before, but sometimes I wonder if it isn't just our media reporting on it more frequently and pushing the fear agenda more now than in the past.

Either way, it's so freaking sad.  I just wish everyone could start to get along and realize that differences are not a big deal, especially not big enough to kill a person over.

I feel as though we are headed towards another world war. That's not the solution.

I know that prayers/thoughts/feels may seem like a paltry way to react to a situation like this, but oftentimes that's the only way that someone can express their feelings and/or react. It'd truly be nice to physically DO something to help, but that's not always feasible.

Not trying to start anything, honest. Just offering my two cents (for what it's worth).

Heartbreaking and infuriating how commonplace news like this has become.

This is absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking. Murdering innocent people isn't making a point, it's just murder. My heart goes out to the families, friends and survivors.

19 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

So sad.  I just don't understand what drives a person to do something like this.  How religion warps a persons thoughts and beliefs and until something like this sounds like a good idea.

I like to think that when those people meet their deity, they're told they're not getting into paradise or heaven, but going to that other place.

Archived