IGNORED

Marjorie Writes a Book on Love

goldfishgoddess

First post just to say I was around 40 when I read HP (about three years ago).  And I've already done a series re-read.  No one is too old for Harry Potter!!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandma is actually the one who got me into Harry Potter when I was a kid. She, my mother, and even my father all loved it and read all the books.

Ah, HP. Always wanted to read it but I'm probably too old now for it to seem quite as magical as it could've been while I was younger.  

Thanks again, Jesus school for ruining my adolescence.

You are never too old!!!

My grandma is actually the one who got me into Harry Potter when I was a kid. She, my mother, and even my father all loved it and read all the books.

My dad got me into Harry Potter because it was on the bestseller list (this was like 1998, so when it was first released in the U.S.). Sometimes I wonder if my obsession made him regret that...lol

Alright! I'm going to read it! Is it too scary to read out loud to a 5 year old before bed?

Off to my local library tomorrow.

I feel kind of "bad", I can imagine the head of every adult that knew 'youngBBB' exploding. They would let me know that Satan was going to use the books to come after me, blah blah blah. I am a little nervously excited to read it.

Alright! I'm going to read it! Is it too scary to read out loud to a 5 year old before bed?

I feel kind of "bad", I can imagine the head of every adult that knew 'youngBBB' exploding. They would let me know that Satan was going to use the books to come after me, blah blah blah. I am a little nervously excited to read it.

Be brave. Go for it ad enjoy.

My entire family got into HP shortly before PoA came out. All of us did the midnight releases, including my grandparents.

My daughter has been reading the first book to her first-grader (6 years old) at bedtime and will continue on through the second book, but I think she's going to wait a bit before the later books.  My granddaughter is a really good reader and could probably read Sorcerer's Stone herself, but she enjoys the read-aloud.

My brother was 6 when we first started getting into HP. He listened to the books on tapes (and later read them) as they came out and never seemed to have a problem. He listened to the first 3 books at 6, and read the last book 8 years later when he was 14. I've had friends whose siblings started the HP books at 5 or 6 and finished at 8 without an issue.

The first 3 books are pretty good for kids, I think. The last 4, you might want to read ahead to make sure that your child's ready for them.

I think the first 3 books would be ok for a 5 year old. It's hard because the original audience aged along with the books, whereas today's audience doesn't have to wait for new releases.

In my opinion, books 5-7 are not for children. Maybe book 4 and 5 could fall into the "young adult" category, but most young adults also don't have issues with adult literature.

Harry Potter is the series I most frequently recommend for my Chinese friends looking to improve their reading in English.  The first couple books are definitely young adult reading level (though still interesting enough for adults to read), and they get steadily more advanced as the series progresses.  

I always felt that HP grew with me.  I started reading the series at 10/11 and read the last book when I was 19.  Maybe it's just perception and the experience I had, but I always felt that each book was right at my "level".  I would say books 1-3 are upper grade to middle school level, 4-7 are high school and above.  The thing about books 4-7 is that they rely heavily on foreshadowing, retention of details, and advanced plot construction...so while a younger person may be able to READ the novels, they probably wouldn't have as much appreciation as an older individual who has higher reading comprehension and more appreciation for literary construction.

You can certainly read and explain them to younger readers, but they wont have the mind blowing moments that often characterize HP for older readers.

HP is excellent for learning and improving your English. I grew up with the series and once I was semi-fluent in English, reading the books in their original language and rping as some of the character online helped tremendously. 

I read Harry Potter as an adult. I grew up hearing how evil they were and was surprised to find how unevil they were once I finally read them. Those who claim they are Satanic must have never read them.

It depends on your five year old. You might want to read each book first and decide. I would say no on the later books, but the earlier books should be fine for some five year olds. Mine gets nightmares and vivid dreams, so we are going to wait to read her the books.

I say E-lizabeth and E-lise, but my British friend (and her British family) say her name (Elizabeth) as El-izabeth.  

One of my good friends has the first two initials M.R. and the last name Hughes.  When it came time to do his username/email/etc. the school used both his first and middle initial as there was already an mhughes.  Unfortunately, there was also a typo when they created his name, so his username ended up being mrhugs.

I can't think of a single person that has him as anything other than Mr Hugs in their contact book.  It's been 10 years.

5 minutes later I am still lol'ing at this.....

I say E-lizabeth and E-lise, but my British friend (and her British family) say her name (Elizabeth) as El-izabeth.  

There are also some regions in the USA that say "Uh-lizabeth."  Think of "Elizabeth Smart" who was kidnapped in Utah.  She is an "Uhlizabeth."  And some in her family even said "Uhliz-beth."

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 4:34 PM, goldfishgoddess said:

Anyone who wants to comment on Madge's Love book, or ask her why she feels she's qualified to write a book about love with only a failed Duggar courtship under her belt, go here:
https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatestBookYouveNeverRead/posts/1076765792333973

And... your comment will be picked up by the feed on her blog. 

This is part of what she wrote:  "More than likely, the first connotation in your mind has to do with romance: Romeo and Juliet, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty… the list goes on."

I thought they couldn't read Jane Austen and authors like that.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Marjorie signed a book contract today:

This looks like a real Christian publisher, not a vanity press: http://www.barbourbooks.com/

"FEATURING 31 of my own hand lettered verses for coloring!!!"  

Teen girls are still coloring???

Well, they have adult coloring books, so maybe it's something like that.

4 minutes ago, anotherone said:

This is part of what she wrote:  "More than likely, the first connotation in your mind has to do with romance: Romeo and Juliet, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty… the list goes on."

Coloring is very trendy right now with adults. 

Good for her though for actually chasing a dream/career.

7 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Isn't coloring big on this forum?

A fundy actually setting a goal and following through (besides babeez) is a good thing.

ETA especially a female fundy

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

A fundy actually setting a goal and following through (besides babeez) is a good thing.

ETA especially a female fundy

I think she dodged a bullet by not marrying into the Duggar family.

2 hours ago, anotherone said:

This actually sounds like something that could potentially be SUPER popular.

I wonder if Hobby Lobby will sell it. It seems right up their alley. 

On 11/15/2015 at 2:07 PM, bingbangboom said:

Ah, HP. Always wanted to read it but I'm probably too old now for it to seem quite as magical as it could've been while I was younger.  

Thanks again, Jesus school for ruining my adolescence.

Read it, you won't regret it. I know so many adults who read Harry Potter and loved it. The first two are more kid centered but the later ones get thematically complex and adult.

Archived