IGNORED

Bates Family Part 16 - Babystep Bates

samurai_sarah

I'm watching last nights BUB and Chad's neck was as red as a tomato! Maybe he does get nervous when speaking in public. 

And Jeb and Jud are way too cute with their little dimples.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Kak said:

I agree with your POV, but have to ask what are brackets? I thought it was a typo when you used it earlier, but it seems intentional. I really have no idea what that could be.

That's how we call braces in spain. Not sure where it came from

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm watching last nights BUB and Chad's neck was as red as a tomato! Maybe he does get nervous when speaking in public. 

And Jeb and Jud are way too cute with their little dimples.

I noticed that too.  I know some people break out in hives with anxiety/public speaking.  I was thinking that was what happened to him.  

@doubleT Trace actually did get his own cake, they cut out the time that would have been singing and cut straight to him blowing out the candles.  

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:
2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:
19 minutes ago, JMO said:

I noticed that too.  I know some people break out in hives with anxiety/public speaking.  I was thinking that was what happened to him.  

@doubleT Trace actually did get his own cake, they cut out the time that would have been singing and cut straight to him blowing out the candles.  

The Trace/Jeb connection is beyond adorable. But it shouldn't be like this between siblings. It's unnatural for siblings to have parent like relationships. Callie almost had a panic attack she was sobbing so hard when Michael got married. That's not normal.

Thank you @JMO, I missed that part.  Glad he wasn't totally forgotten.  I did see that Warden made two cakes. 

28 minutes ago, JMO said:

I think you have to pay every time you sing happy birthday on tv. I bet they sang it twice but just cut out singing to trace. Plus it would be pretty redundant to include. 

1 hour ago, Kak said:

I agree with your POV, but have to ask what are brackets? I thought it was a typo when you used it earlier, but it seems intentional. I really have no idea what that could be.

Sorry, I meant braces. It's called brackets in my country and I wrote it wrong.

3 hours ago, doubleT said:

Other than having to watch and listen to Gil, I enjoyed the episode.  I did feel sorry for Trace, whose birthday seemed completely forgotten once Jeb got in on the planning.  Even when the birthday cake came out, the singing and candles were only for Jeb.  What about Trace?  But the go cart racing and then just messing around at Zach's house with just the guys seemed really nice. And I thought it was great that Kelly didn't make the cake and let Warden (?) do it.  I'm glad that Michael and Erin are willing to spend some time with him and teach him how to cook, otherwise, his interest in that would be totally overlooked since he is a guy and lumped into the group where kitchen skills are probably not expected. 

I think Judson is adorable too.  He seems pretty mature for his age and didn't seem offended that Jeb didn't count him as a friend.  I hope he has a older brother that he is close with too.  He seems really sweet.  

The next shot after the singing and Jeb blowing the candles out was a second cake being presented with more candles, and Trace blew them out. Not sure if they sang happy birthday again - it wasn't shown, but they might have. If I shared a birthday with a sibling, I think I would, personally, want to have two separate cakes with separate candles, just so I felt special. If it was a date shared with a twin, though, I'd be fine with a single cake with the same amount of candles.

I was waiting for them to break out with the Jesus-y happy birthday song the Duggars sang a few times, and I was very surprised they sang the traditional happy birthday.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I actually think people my age (almost 33) have been pushing back somewhat. I know a ton of people that have quit Facebook or just don't use it to post much. Facebook happened when I was in college and it was the latest thing. It exploded like crazy. But I think now people my age decided enough was enough and have slowed down. However, kids in high school are more involved than ever. It's the teenagers that are getting addicted to likes and all that.

In fact, facebook is for old people hahaha. I'm joking but the truth is that teenagers are not using facebook very much, they prefer Instagram, snapshat and other app. Probably thirty-something people have decreased their Facebook use because it's less exciting nowadays, but let's not forget 15-25 is the most "look at me" age, so it's normal to decrease the use of these apps when being older.

4 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

In fact, facebook is for old people hahaha. I'm joking but the truth is that teenagers are not using facebook very much, they prefer Instagram, snapshat and other app. Probably thirty-something people have decreased their Facebook use because it's less exciting nowadays, but let's not forget 15-25 is the most "look at me" age, so it's normal to decrease the use of these apps when being older.

TBH I stopped using FB when my parents, aunts/uncles, and their friends started! I know it's social media and everything is out in the open but I hate when I see a random friend of my moms and she starts questioning me on a picture I posted like 3 years ago. I prefer IG too but that's being infiltrated by my cousins who have no filter on what they report to my parents. 

4 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

TBH I stopped using FB when my parents, aunts/uncles, and their friends started! I know it's social media and everything is out in the open but I hate when I see a random friend of my moms and she starts questioning me on a picture I posted like 3 years ago. I prefer IG too but that's being infiltrated by my cousins who have no filter on what they report to my parents. 

I've been on FB since 2004 and I was pretty annoyed when they opened it up to the public. I'm super careful about what I post and like on FB. I try to keep it all very bland. But I do look at FB everyday because I would be completely out of the loop with friends and family. My grandmother is on FB. Now that tells you something, lol.

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I didn't watched it but it's soooooo hypocrital to talk about focusing inside and in the others, and at the same time spending HOURS making up and combing your hair. Not only her, but also most fundie families we discuss, put brackets and make up in young girls to make them prettier. Fundies are focused in physical appearence probably  more than "ungodly" families, because the only goal for her daughters is to marry. And as they are not allowed to date alone, or to privately text, etc, beauty is more important than for "ungodly" couples who can share other experiences and are allowed to know better the other person inside.

And how is Erin helping others? she's not volunteering. Don't get me wrong, she's raising a kid and working, as the most of us, and it's perfectly right. But then, don't sell a way of life you're not living.

Erin is very lucky: she's pretty, the career she liked was at the same time an approved one, the man she married loves her and is a very caring husband (which I suspect is not common in fundieland). So she hasn't struggled with being ugly as a teen, hasn't felt the frustration of not being able to study what she wanted, hasn't lived an abusing relationship, etc. She can think everything is because God praises her for being a good girl, but I think she's just lucky and she has to realise that a lot of fundie good girls won't be so lucky at all.

I think it's totally possible to believe that what's on the inside is the most important thing about someone and still care about hair, makeup and clothes. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Some people find clothes/hair fun. I do. 

I'm curious as to how you know for sure that Erin isn't volunteering? Maybe she is and maybe she isn't, but I'm not sure know one way or the other. 

Also, yes Erin lucked out when it came to her occupation and her husband. But I wouldn't exactly call her life lucky. I think it would be extremely difficult to be raised in a religious cult that values procreation more than anything else and then struggle with multiple miscarriages. She had to sit and watch several siblings get pregnant before her while she was suffering with miscarriage after miscarriage. 

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I've been on FB since 2004 and I was pretty annoyed when they opened it up to the public. I'm super careful about what I post and like on FB. I try to keep it all very bland. But I do look at FB everyday because I would be completely out of the loop with friends and family. My grandmother is on FB. Now that tells you something, lol.

Yup I signed on the first time with my college email because it was only for college kids and you needed a referral in 2002-2003. It was boring as hell back then cuz like 10 people had it lol 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I assume she meant braces. On teeth.

45 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Sorry, I meant braces. It's called brackets in my country and I wrote it wrong.

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

That's how we call braces in spain. Not sure where it came from

Thanks guys. I'm a bit of a dope, it's so obvious now.

My kid is going to get braces. The ortho said he has a "catastrophic overbite". Eek. So not cosmetic. 

The only time I ever us FB is when there is a natural disaster or something in my area because it updates faster then TV. It was always the first place that got updated on evacuations, road closers etc. I used it one year to keep an eye on if family members or myself needed to evacuate, another year I used it to keep an eye on at work for road closers.

1 hour ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

The next shot after the singing and Jeb blowing the candles out was a second cake being presented with more candles, and Trace blew them out. Not sure if they sang happy birthday again - it wasn't shown, but they might have. If I shared a birthday with a sibling, I think I would, personally, want to have two separate cakes with separate candles, just so I felt special. If it was a date shared with a twin, though, I'd be fine with a single cake with the same amount of candles.

I was waiting for them to break out with the Jesus-y happy birthday song the Duggars sang a few times, and I was very surprised they sang the traditional happy birthday.

Thank you @theinvisiblegirl.  I admit I was distracted while watching my recording of the episode because my dog was doing something cute and I must have looked away right when they showed Trace blowing out some candles.  I'm glad the male Bateseses didn't diss Trace out of birthday cake and candles, but now I really have nothing to vent on the family for.  :my_sick:  Haha. 

1 hour ago, Kak said:

Thanks guys. I'm a bit of a dope, it's so obvious now.

My kid is going to get braces. The ortho said he has a "catastrophic overbite". Eek. So not cosmetic. 

I think my crossbite may have been called catastrophic too, but I might be filling in for lack of memory. Either way, not cosmetic, as my parents were in denial that I even needed orthodontic work. I don't think my mom accepted it until after the braces were off and she looked back at younger pictures.

I hope you enjoy tiny rubber bands, because I'm still finding them from my husband's second round of braces, almost three years and two house moves later! Found some in a car he bought two years after the braces came off just yesterday. :my_huh:

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Physical appearance has been important for thousands years. It's not the question. The question here is the hypocrisy of saying that importance is inside, but encourage girls to make everything possible to be attractive outside. It's about the hypocrisy of telling girls they have to be content, but at the same time tell them: use brackets, curl your hair, make up... (so telling them her natural look isn't good enough). It's the hyprocrisy of telling teens that vanity and lust are sins, but making them the most attractive as possible.

Okay now I understand completely. I forgot how much gothard obsessed over their countenance, and all they have to do is get a good man and mad blessings. I guess I was just listening to the advice and not apply their background to it. You put it perfectly clear now I understand the hypocrisy. I guess I was listening as someone who speaks to high schoolers and give similar insight. 

I can't seem to quote right now (it crashed my computer!), but just wanted to let you guys know that Erin is apparently going to announce her pregnancy to the cameras on I Love You Day in next week's episode. 

According to Lawson's Instagram, he's recording with this young lady-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Ann_Roberts-- who is a 17 year old from Knoxville who was competed on The Voice tv show.  Wonder if they might tour together?

Do you think Lawson has any chance of being on The Voice? Or do you think he's auditioned already & didn't tell anyone?

Remember when Lawson was all about being a cowboy? I reckon he had dreams of doing this one day and being a hero.

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

According to Lawson's Instagram, he's recording with this young lady-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Ann_Roberts-- who is a 17 year old from Knoxville who was competed on The Voice tv show.  Wonder if they might tour together?

Do you think Lawson has any chance of being on The Voice? Or do you think he's auditioned already & didn't tell anyone?

I don't think he needs to be on The Voice, but if he did audition I am sure he would have share a pic. I think he has the exposure he needs to get his name out there; If anything Emily should jump on that coattail ride it to a point.

On 6/10/2016 at 1:07 PM, RoseWilder said:

I think it's totally possible to believe that what's on the inside is the most important thing about someone and still care about hair, makeup and clothes. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Some people find clothes/hair fun. I do. 

I do too, but I do find it incredibly insincere for Erin and Chad to say that their relationship was always just about what's on the inside. Let's face it, what drew them to each other at first was that they thought the other was hot. I do think upon getting to know each other that they realized they liked the other's personality as well. 

Erin is a very physically attractive woman, and for her to pretend that that hasn't played into her life is insincere and disingenuous. It's a bit like a naturally very thin woman saying "Don't worry about weight! You should only care about what's on the inside!" to an overweight woman trying to diet. It strikes me as an obnoxious display of privilege.

I think this message is particularly unfair in the Fundie courtship model where girls are supposed to quietly wait for a boy to feel called to pick them. Guess who conveniently gets picked first? The pretty ones. 

I have no doubt that Erin and Chad's relationship is the aspirational marriage for the Fundie young girl set. It feels like they are giving some of these girls false hopes and I feel bad for the ones who turn into Sarah Maxwells and just have to sit and wonder at thirty why they didn't "shine from the inside" enough.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I do too, but I do find it incredibly insincere for Erin and Chad to say that their relationship was always just about what's on the inside. Let's face it, what drew them to each other at first was that they thought the other was hot. I do think upon getting to know each other that they realized they liked the other's personality as well. 

Okay, well now I'm confused because I thought when previous posters were discussing this, they were saying that Chad and Erin said "It's what's on the inside that counts" and not "Our relationship was always only about what's on the inside." Maybe I misread. I consider those two statements very different things. Does anyone have an exact quote of what they said?

I was responding to thinking they said, "it's what's on the inside that counts" and if that's what they said, then I really don't have a problem with that. I think that's true for pretty much everyone when they meet someone for the first time, that they see someone and approach them and all they have to go on is what they look like.  It doesn't mean they're dating that person because of what they look like, or that they're not prioritizing personality over looks. 

Technically, not a Bates but it looks like Jordan and Olivia Webster (Gothard's niece) just had their second child. Their first child is only 15 months old. It looks like they are going for a quiver full. 

2 hours ago, crazysnark said:

Technically, not a Bates but it looks like Jordan and Olivia Webster (Gothard's niece) just had their second child. Their first child is only 15 months old. It looks like they are going for a quiver full. 

How many cousins does Allie Jane have? omg. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived