IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

58 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Well, considering ATI teaches that ovarian cancer is caused by premarital sex, I honestly doubt they understand the reality of STDs. I mean they may have gotten that education in high school but they may also have suppressed it in favor of their later religious education. I just can't see that factoring in to them, it's too common sense and too sort of secular. I feel like they hear his conversion story and can't think of it's implications for now, because it was in the past and he was forgiven.

If anyone is making Jeremy get tested I would bet it is TLC, but I kind of doubt that too. JB seems like the type to believe the lord will place a hedge of protection around Jinger's reproductive region because she/they are so godly.

This so much. :my_sad: Also, I doubt Jinger has ever had the option of getting the HPV vaccine and I doubt she'll ever get it. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dreadcrumbs said:

This so much. :my_sad: Also, I doubt Jinger has ever had the option of getting the HPV vaccine and I doubt she'll ever get it. 

I wonder what IBLP people think of vaccines. I know that the Pearls (I think it was the Pearls) and a few others are against them, but not sure if that's a personal thing or an IBLP thing.

Just now, OrchidBlossom said:

I wonder what IBLP people think of vaccines. I know that the Pearls (I think it was the Pearls) and a few others are against them, but not sure if that's a personal thing or an IBLP thing.

Vaccines themselves notwithstanding, a lot of religiously-conservative types claim that the HPV vaccine encourages promiscuity, so are against it specifically. Me? I got the vaccine in my early to mid twenties because it had just come out and I was just under the age cutoff. Frankly, even at that age it was my mother's idea for me to get it regardless of my state of perpetual singleness.

1 minute ago, metheglyn said:

Vaccines themselves notwithstanding, a lot of religiously-conservative types claim that the HPV vaccine encourages promiscuity, so are against it specifically. Me? I got the vaccine in my early to mid twenties because it had just come out and I was just under the age cutoff. Frankly, even at that age it was my mother's idea for me to get it regardless of my state of perpetual singleness.

I got it at like 16, but my mom is a nurse so she is very pro-vaccine (as am I), so it was a given despite also being super single all the time.

Not sure if they vaccinate, but the kids got chicken pox. So did mine, but it was before the vaccine was available. JB said it was good because now they wouldn't get shingles. Sigh.

There are a lot of studies coming out about the long term side effects of the HPV vax, so much that my OB-GYN and my daughters' pediatrician (who is pro-vax with all the others) agree they should NOT get it.

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

He might get forced in front of the camera soon, as I'm sure TLC is going to want to film family stuff with Jeremy's side. Likely to be lots of bemusement, it sounds like.

It'll be the same facial expressions as Cathy's husband. It'll be a younger Mr. Byrum 2.0!

Here is my take on the whole thing. Jinger thought she was such a horrible sinner even early on. Yet in comparison Jeremy was so much worse. If HE can do all those worldly things and still find God and forgiveness then she knows there's hope for herself too. And moreso if she follows his path of righteousness, he's gonna help get her there. I only hope she'll still be able to have a tiny bit of creatvity and personality left after hes done reforming her.

The HPV vaccine leading to promiscuity notion is hilarious (heard it before from patients too). I sure stopped to consider my vaccine history before getting down and dirty with my high school boyfriends.

I tell my patients to get it and haven't seen anything in studies that would give me pause.  The safety profile has been studied extensively and when compared to non-vaccinated populations there is no evidence it causes harm.  It has an amazing safety profile compared to most vaccines and drugs.  I know one doctor who is very anti it and they're also very anti premarital sex. I and every other doctor who it has come up with give him major side eye about it. My kids will get it. My colleagues' kids get it. It seems to have been the victim of both the anti-vaccine brigade and the religious abstinence/anti-premarital sex brigade. There's a blog called Skeptical Raptor which has a great and easy to read rundown of the evidence for it.

3 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Are the Duggar girls allowed to play sports? I can see TLC setting up a scene where Jeremy teaches Jinger some of his soccer skills *with a  chaperone of course*

I doubt it.   Wasn't there a football game before Jill or Jessa's wedding and only the guys played while the girls watched?

I don't think anyone has decided that. I think some of us (myself included) got a strange vibe from his videos and expressed concern, given a lot of factors (like the simple fact that they are fundie, but also other factors)

I think it's been said and decided in many posts here. You can claim it's based on a tone or a feeling, but it went downhill pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, Evilbad said:

I think it's been said and decided in many posts here. You can claim it's based on a tone or a feeling, but it went downhill pretty quickly.

I certainly don't have perfect recall and there were many posts. Maybe someone did say it was "decided" although I don't remember it. But I think most people have just weighed in on the vibe they have gotten from his speaking and writing, and most of us have admitted we don't have much to go on and there could be many explanations for the weirdness we get. So I'm not really sure what you mean by it went downhill pretty quickly, since my general impression has just been that everyone has weighed in on their thoughts after seeing his media/internet presence. Again, I don't have perfect recall so if someone said he is "definitely" abusive or anything then that isn't something I support or anything like what I have said or seen said, or anything most people seem to be ready to stand behind, but that hasn't been my sense of how the conversation has gone.

With Ben my first thought was JB picked out a stud bull, lots of grandbabies out of that one! Bumbling idiot kinda too. Derrick didn't ping me in any way at all, just meh. But Jeremy sends off major warning bells, and that was just the pics of them. Don't know what it is or why, but something about him just doesn't sit well with me. For me its not anything definite, but....wrong.

Nothing will convince me Jinger isn't being used here by Jim Bob.  He's desperate right now. But has TLC itself confirmed a continuation of the dreadful Counting On series?  Or even a special?  And what about the sponsor problem?

I find weddings and babies boring in any world so it's hard for me to relate to anyone having interest in a third Duggar daughter wedding, but I guess it will generate more interest than just talking about phantom future husbands.  I'm glad it isn't Joy.

My first very general impression of new J guy is that he has a very aggressive air about him. Much different from the mild (appearing) Derick and Bin.  Not sure if this is a good thing for Jinger.  While he seems different than the typical effete fundie do-nothing men we've become accustomed to, the thought of an edgy, aggressive headship in their world is a little scary. 

2 hours ago, eye_browz said:

Within the first year of their marriage, I bet Ben and Jessa will move to Texas because Jeremy will hire Ben as an assistant pastor or a youth pastor at his church. Jessa will be happy because she will be reunited with Jinger since they are really close. I mean really, imagine Jinger going to Texas with her husband, essentially alone? Who will babysit all her children when Jing and Jer need a date night? She can't exactly call Jana to come over and watch her kids or help her cook dinner. I bet that was Jessa's plan along along. She could get away from the rest of the Duggars but at the same time, both girls could support each other and home school each other's kids. They could shop together, cook together and just support each other. Plus it would make filming easier for TLC.

I guess since Jill was able to handle moving to Central America without any of her sisters, then so I guess Jinger will be ok alone. But Jill had a short transitioning period before leaving the country; she got married and moved into a temporary home down the street from the Duggars for a year, so she could adjust to being away from home. Then as she became more comfortable as a wife and mother, they left the country together. I hope Jinger will be able to adjust to moving away from home immediately following their wedding. To be fair, Anna was able to move from Florida to Arkansas so she should be fine.

I'm impressed with Ben's ability to "network" with different people all over the USA. I mean, he's reached out to rappers from another state (Chicago?? I forget which state) and he's befriended a Jeremy from Texas. I wonder who else he is meeting? By now, he should have secured a job with all of the "networking" that he has been doing. I forgot who called and offered a job to Josh in DC.

The hiring Ben and all 4 being in Texas idea seems legit. 

I am not impressed with Ben's networking. He is on a tv show. All of these guys are willing to be his "longtime friends" to get their names out and stamped "Duggar-approved."

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

There are a lot of studies coming out about the long term side effects of the HPV vax, so much that my OB-GYN and my daughters' pediatrician (who is pro-vax with all the others) agree they should NOT get it.

What's the studies? Just courius because when I was mid way through high school & early part of college getting the shot was being pushed really hard at that time. So I'm just wondering if I may have made the right decision or not. 

Getting the vaccine was pushed pretty hard on me by my pediatrician, but my mother thought it was silly to vaccinate for it so we opted not to. She said since nothing could 100% prevent cancer and because it was so new that no one knew about long term effects, it wouldn't be worth it. Now that there are actual studies about the long term coming out, I'm grateful for the decision she made.

What long term side effects of Gardasil are you worried about? What studies are you seeing that suggest bad effects? I just searched Pubmed for recent articles about Gardasil and I don't see anything alarming that has come out recently. 

While Gardasil is not 100% guaranteed to protect against cervical cancer, it does appear to greatly reduce the risk of cervical cancer as well as other cancers that are caused by HPV infection (anal cancer, for example). I was very happy to have the opportunity to receive Gardasil myself years ago and suffered absolutely no adverse effects from it.

2 minutes ago, kjmackin said:

What's the studies? Just courius because when I was mid way through high school & early part of college getting the shot was being pushed really hard at that time. So I'm just wondering if I may have made the right decision or not. 

I asked about the vaccine since it was not even brought up or offered to my daughter (in good old Utah). The doctors office had some articles on young girls that got ALS after getting the vaccine. Not sure if this was a study or ever proven but I know that kids under 18 just don't get ALS(I have volunteered with ALS charities after my grandma and aunt died from it, and even under 30 is rare). In my area I have not heard of one girl to get the shot and parents talk like it is a stigma.

This is the same area where my husband's public school health teacher (who has also held public office) taught that if you have sex as a teenage girl more then once you have a 50% chance of getting cancer. I know she was still teaching this up until 8 years ago when they dropped sex ed as part of health class. It is pretty sad when tonight  during the big brother premiere my 13 year old said Evel Dick couldn't come back because he got dx with HIV, and a bunch of 18 year olds (many who are leaving in the next 2 weeks on LDS missions to poor countries) had no idea what HIV was.

Have you guys watched this video yet? It shows he may at least have some sort of sense of humor.

Just now, silverspoons said:

I asked about the vaccine since it was not even brought up or offered to my daughter (in good old Utah). The doctors office had some articles on young girls that got ALS after getting the vaccine. Not sure if this was a study or ever proven but I know that kids under 18 just don't get ALS(I have volunteered with ALS charities after my grandma and aunt died from it, and even under 30 is rare). In my area I have not heard of one girl to get the shot and parents talk like it is a stigma.

Stephen Hawking was diagnosed at 21 and had symptoms earlier than that.  

But there are no large studies showing the vaccine is unsafe.  To the contrary:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121001161442.htm

Anecdotal stories have no place in this area.   

4 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Have you guys watched this video yet? It shows he may at least have some sort of sense of humor.

I think it's a safe bet that he'd love being on a Tee Vee show.

17 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

That's pretty funny and actually a spot on impression of every other episode of Cribs.

I just had a sad thought: Jinger would not understand this AT ALL. :(

Hopefully he's just a goofball and not a fame-grabber. I have a friend who always jumps at the chance to do silly videos for classes and clubs but he's an extremely private person and would NEVER be on a reality TV show.

Well, to be fair...many teens/20's people tend to like being on camera these days. So in that sense, he's probably a bit "normal."

There's still something about him that bugs me. But we'll see if my opinion changes the more I see him.

OMG so I am SO behind but..... he has a tattoo and can't pronounce Dos Equis but he probably has had a margarita or two. Go Jinger.  I hope this works out for her.

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/one-stop-shop-science-myth-debunking-gardasil/

This is the Skeptical Raptor rundown on the HPV vaccine I mentioned above.

That video makes me feel a bit less creeped out by him somehow. I was getting quite an aggressive vibe too rather than the more submissive (for the almighty headships they are) ones Bin and Derrick give off.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived