IGNORED

Books about Polygamy

Irene Spencer wrote a second book that described everything with Ervil more - Cult Insanity. I think with Shattered Dreams she didn't want his drama overshadowing her own story. Ervil killed his and Verlans brother Joel (the prophet of the colony) and tried to kill Verlan too. And then he had others carry out his murders, even years after he was dead.
So I finished Anna's book last night and found another interesting connection - I kept noticing Anna looks EXACTLY like Christine Brown from Sister Wives, and in the q&a at the end she says they're actually cousins (1c1r). Turns out:
Christine's maternal grandfather is Floran LeBaron, Ervil and Verlans brother, AND
Christine's paternal grandfather is Rulon Allred, the FLDS prophet Ervil had murdered by one of his wives.
Crazy how all these polygamist people are connected!

A few good books to read more about Ervil LeBaron are:

-The 4 O’Clock Murders
Book by Scott Anderson

-Prophet of Blood: The Untold Story of Ervil LeBaron and the Lambs of God
Book by Ben Bradlee and Dale Van Atta

-The Blood Covenant
Book by Rena Chynoweth (his youngest and 13th wife and one of the ones who killed AUB Prophet Rulon Allred)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, suglo said:

A few good books to read more about Ervil LeBaron are:

-The 4 O’Clock Murders
Book by Scott Anderson

-Prophet of Blood: The Untold Story of Ervil LeBaron and the Lambs of God
Book by Ben Bradlee and Dale Van Atta

-The Blood Covenant
Book by Rena Chynoweth (his youngest and 13th wife and one of the ones who killed AUB Prophet Rulon Allred)

I've been thinking to do Blood Covenant next. Which of these did you like best?

I've been thinking to do Blood Covenant next. Which of these did you like best?

I liked the Prophet of Blood best because it packed in the most information. They are all good books though. Warning that Blood Covenant can get under your skin. She is a little or a lot, self serving in her book. She was still a little brainwashed when she wrote it.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, viii said:

I just bought "Breaking Free: How I Escaped Polygamy, the FLDS Cult, and my Father, Warren Jeffs" by Rachel Jeffs, so we'll see how it is!

I know this post is pretty old but I just finished reading this. I read it in less than 24 hours. Couldn't put it down! Parts of it made my skin crawl and I know it's one of those books that's going to stay with me for a long, long time (just like Flora Jessop's book and the horrors she also lived). 

There were times in the book where I was like, why don't you just leave!? It was frustrating but I know her options were super limited. I loved when she started disobeying Lyle and just started doing what she wanted. That was the beginning of the end. I'm so glad she got out and hope she and the kids had some intensive therapy.

Rachel is interesting. When she was on Escaping Polygamy I found her to be a bit strange. I don’t mean that in a negative way. More like, she’s been through an incredible amount of crap from an incredibly oppressive situation and the abusive leader of the situation. She’s very strong, but I hope she has resources for support.

Archived