IGNORED

Young Wife's Guide - Two sets of twins under 4 and pregnant again!

ladyaudley

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

That is very unusual, to have multiple sets of identical twins. Fraternal twins are hereditary, the recent to release more than one egg at a time. Identical twins are the random splitting of an egg. A aunt of mine who had identical twins and is a nurse has done lots of research on the subject and there is a slightly greater chance of having a set of identical twins if you've already had a set, but they don't understand why or how that happens. One theory is that they aren't truly identical, which is what her own identical twins learned when they were in medical school. They had dna testing done and they aren't completely identical, though much more than just siblings. 

I read about identical twins that while it is not proven there might actually be a genetic component since identical twins apparently have identical twins themselves than the general public. It is not strong and clear as with fraternal twins but there might still be at least in some cases such a link. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, elliha said:

I read about identical twins that while it is not proven there might actually be a genetic component since identical twins apparently have identical twins themselves than the general public. It is not strong and clear as with fraternal twins but there might still be at least in some cases such a link. 

One theory I've heard is that there is something in either the sperm or the egg (or both) that makes it more likely for the fertilized egg to split - it's like the bond between the newly dividing cells isn't a strong as it otherwise would be due to some protein or something like that. But nothing has been found yet.

Yeah I know a family with two sets of "identical" twins.  They look it and everyone assumed they were - then one set found out they had different blood groups.  Not identical at all.  The elder set haven't been tested as far as I know but I'd bet they aren't actually identical either.

Twinning is one of my fascinations and was something I read about a lot when I was younger (and had more time - ha!).

Most people know of fraternal and identical twins, but there is actually a third kind - polar body twins. I believe the Olsen twins have been found to be this type.

When the ovum is maturing, it will normally split into one larger cell (the egg) and one much smaller one (the polar body) - it's a function of the normal mitosis/meiosis thing that happens that I don't remember the specifics! But this allows the egg to have a much bigger mass than any other cell. Sometimes though the egg splits into two similar sizes and both can be fertilized and develop. So the resulting twins have the same genes from their mother, but different from their father because two different sperm fertilize the two identical eggs  (technically one egg, and one polar body that is essentially an egg). This could be why some twins are thought to be identical but are actually fraternal - they would share about 75% of their genes, rather than the approximate 50% for fraternal twins or singleton siblings. 

4 hours ago, Rowan said:

Twinning is one of my fascinations and was something I read about a lot when I was younger (and had more time - ha!).

Most people know of fraternal and identical twins, but there is actually a third kind - polar body twins. I believe the Olsen twins have been found to be this type.

When the ovum is maturing, it will normally split into one larger cell (the egg) and one much smaller one (the polar body) - it's a function of the normal mitosis/meiosis thing that happens that I don't remember the specifics! But this allows the egg to have a much bigger mass than any other cell. Sometimes though the egg splits into two similar sizes and both can be fertilized and develop. So the resulting twins have the same genes from their mother, but different from their father because two different sperm fertilize the two identical eggs  (technically one egg, and one polar body that is essentially an egg). This could be why some twins are thought to be identical but are actually fraternal - they would share about 75% of their genes, rather than the approximate 50% for fraternal twins or singleton siblings. 

Sounds like what my cousins are. They didn't actually know at the beginning of they were identical because their placentas were fused, and each baby had a separate sac inside a larger sac? I'm sure I'm muddling the details, it's been awhile, lol. They looked identical until puberty, though they were mirrored, one left handed one right, hair parted differently, etc. 

It always surprised me that the Olsen twins were considered fraternal, because obviously for many years they looked the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read her first few posts regarding how she met her husband, their engagement & wedding day.  It was a painful read.  I don't know why she finds it so fascinating that they met in a grocery store where they both worked.  She kept going on as if this have never happened to two people ever before.  Looked like a child bride in the wedding photos.  I found it to all be even a bit creeper than the Duggars.... 

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2016 at 2:11 AM, klynn said:

Yes.  I have to force myself to read it as HEIS-theway..at least that's how I'm thinking they pronounce it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's originally a Puritan name He-is-the-way (referring to when Jesus said "I am the way...")

Wow her husband piled on the weight hasn't he. She looks great for 2 twin pregnancies.

she really is so amazed she met her husband at work. I can't work out why. 

Incredibly shallow of me but ........ Hubby is too young to have piled on that much weight.  Also he seems to be losing his looks, not nearly as cute as he was.  Dude's not even 30 yet and he's aging badly.  Imagine him in 20 years.

Maybe having 5 children under 4 isn't the best idea.

On 14 September 2016 at 0:44 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Incredibly shallow of me but ........ Hubby is too young to have piled on that much weight.  Also he seems to be losing his looks, not nearly as cute as he was.  Dude's not even 30 yet and he's aging badly.  Imagine him in 20 years.

Maybe having 5 children under 4 isn't the best idea.

Yep I totally agree! I read their courtship stories first and then saw a more recent photo of him. Umm not so good 

• 3 months later...

I actually wanted to name a potential daughter of mine awhile back Magnolia, but I decided it was too girly.

Archived