IGNORED

Kaci Lynn is here - Whitney and Zach's 2nd baby

Mrs. Figg

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Actually from the pics we've seen of Allie Jane, she's not dressed nearly as gender specific as my non fundie nieces are (older by her own choice).  Photo evidence tumblr_o7prx9LOpC1r8mb1io2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nx68ewecOR1r8mb1io1_1280.jpg

ETA in the first outfit, if it were a black and white pic you couldn't tell if the outfit was for a boy or girl.  The second one is slightly 'girly' but the colors are not traditionally feminine and definitely not associated with a baby girl.

I also sometimes feel like a bad progressive because my choices of clothes are very girly/feminine (no pants in the summer, no shorts ever, feminine colors, etc).  As was said before, gender and sex being different things has only come into the mainstream recently and I understand it but sometimes (personally) have a hard time with it.

Allie is such an adorable kid to me, I hate that so many people snark on her because she doesn't ham it up so much (on Instagram, not here) (and I would hate it regardless of how cute she is). Except for the bow, the second pic is damn near neutral... I suppose hearts and sequins are girly though.

I have been around all of the blocks, style preference-wise. These days, bike commuting is the only thing keeping me in pants... the maxi skirt/dress trend a few years back changed my life. I love walking around feeling like I'm still in bed, hahaha. Leggings rule too, and yes they are definitely to be used as pants and I refuse to let anyone tell me otherwise. I'm all about comfort... the bows bother me on that level more than on a gendered one. They have to be itchy on poor little bald baby heads.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want those overalls in the top pic!!!! For real. The little braided straps are so cute.

I'm not a fan of words on baby clothes to begin with because I feel like it's super cheesy or crosses a weird sexual line as said above. Some are okay, like Allie Jane's shirt above is cute and fine and the "Hello World" one was cute.

I saw one that said "I'm cute. Mom's hot. Dad's lucky." not into that. or one that was like "I'm not allowed to date EVER"

3 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I want those overalls in the top pic!!!! For real. The little braided straps are so cute.

I'm not a fan of words on baby clothes to begin with because I feel like it's super cheesy or crosses a weird sexual line as said above. Some are okay, like Allie Jane's shirt above is cute and fine and the "Hello World" one was cute.

I saw one that said "I'm cute. Mom's hot. Dad's lucky." not into that. or one that was like "I'm not allowed to date EVER"

Those suck. Then again, I get really aggravated when people act like that about their daughters. My dad did that stupid rifle cleaning thing when my boyfriend first came over and it pissed me off. It irks me beyond belief when people try to act like their daughters need to stay at home and be daddy's little girl forever and never leave and go to college, marry, etc.

5 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

This!

Or the one saying "daddy has a gun". Oh come on, it's all about controlling sexuality, but they're babies!!!. When I see these overalls I want to scream "your daughter will be a FREE woman who will fuck when she wants it!".

Sorry for the bad words.

@Melissa1977, I know what you mean. I get that a father may feel the need to protect his daughter because he doesn't want a boy pressuring her into sex, but dads need to understand that girls can be just as interested in sex as boys, if not worse. If dads want to protect their daughters from getting hurt or being used for sex, they need to sit down their girls and teach them comprehensive sex ed. Plus, it's just embarrassing for a grown ass man to be threatening teenagers.

18 minutes ago, season of life said:

@Melissa1977, I know what you mean. I get that a father may feel the need to protect his daughter because he doesn't want a boy pressuring her into sex, but dads need to understand that girls can be just as interested in sex as boys, if not worse. If dads want to protect their daughters from getting hurt or being used for sex, they need to sit down their girls and teach them comprehensive sex ed. Plus, it's just embarrassing for a grown ass man to be threatening teenagers.

But also, is the same dad teaching his sons how to not take advantage of young women? We never see little boys with shirts about that! 

@sophie10130Those overalls are pretty adorable. I'd totally dress my kid in something similar to that. Allie's little grin is even cuter though. She may not smile a lot in pictures, but her grin is so freaking cute!

And I actually really like the shirt she has on in the second picture too. It's a bit girly I guess, but not overly so. Much more my style than all pink and frills everything (which is cool if others like it.) 

My only complaint about Allie Janes clothes are the shoes. Every PT will tell you they're horrible for when kids start to walk. They have no support and they're too flimsy.

Allie Jane could rock some baby sneakers. All the Bates' kids' children are just so terribly adorable.

@VelociRapture I agree that you may have better luck finding gender neutral clothing at thrift stores. You should also check out when they have sales. We can get five items for $5 or 10 items for $5 on certain days at Salvation Army. When buying new, I think "boy" clothes would be more likely to be gender neutral.

My daughter seemed to show preference for certain clothing items early on. I remember her crawling and picking up a dress I had on the floor when she was less than a year old. She seemed to get excited when I put it on her. It could have been in my head, but she seemed like she really liked that dress. You could try showing the baby clothes when it gets to be close to  a year to see if there is any response.

My older niece (to my knowledge) started to display clothing preferences around her first birthday.  It started with graphic shirts so she could tell everyone what was on her shirt.  By 15 months, if a shirt had some things on it she knew what it was (I got her a shirt with a cat and rabbit on it and she pointed to the kitty an bunny).

My younger niece is 19 months and I'm not sure her clothing preferences as she's not as vocal about it.  She's more interested in sports (little tykes tee ball set) and collecting things.

14 hours ago, Ali said:

@VelociRapture I agree that you may have better luck finding gender neutral clothing at thrift stores. You should also check out when they have sales. We can get five items for $5 or 10 items for $5 on certain days at Salvation Army. When buying new, I think "boy" clothes would be more likely to be gender neutral.

My daughter seemed to show preference for certain clothing items early on. I remember her crawling and picking up a dress I had on the floor when she was less than a year old. She seemed to get excited when I put it on her. It could have been in my head, but she seemed like she really liked that dress. You could try showing the baby clothes when it gets to be close to  a year to see if there is any response.

Thanks! I popped into "Once Upon a Child," the other day to see what they might have. SO MANY cute little clothes that were pretty neutral! I had to do a bit of digging to find them, but there was a bit more variety than at Target.

And I'll try seeing if they show a preference around their first birthday. If they do I'll absolutely respect that. My mom was really good about listening to our opinions when we were little and respecting them (within reason) - my brother dressed in a lot of boyish clothes (despite everyone thinking he was a girl), while I wanted to wear one wool jumper every day for a whole year. My mom must be a Saint because she let me wear it a lot that year. :pb_lol:

29 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

(snip) My mom was really good about listening to our opinions when we were little and respecting them (within reason) - my brother dressed in a lot of boyish clothes (despite everyone thinking he was a girl), while I wanted to wear one wool jumper every day for a whole year. My mom must be a Saint because she let me wear it a lot that year. :pb_lol:

My wool jumper was a pair of pink fringe cowboy boots. Looking through old photos is fun, because they're paired with everything. I think they even made photos of the entire family dressed nicely for a wedding. :pb_lol:

As a toddler, my husband wouldn't let his mother cut his hair; he always wanted it to be very long, so by the time he was five it had grown down to his butt. Needless to say, everyone always took him for a girl, gender specific clothing or not. He would sometimes even let his sister do up his hair with glittery hair clippers and the like (never in public, though). There was also a boy in my Kindergarten group who had long hair, and who was always reffered to as a girl... until swim classes started, and us other kids realised that despite his hair, he wasn't actually a girl. It's really weird how even kids this young already have such specific opinions about how the different genders should look like.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, sun_shiine64 said:

I think it might be an Uptv request, Lawson did post a picture but deleted it few minutes later

Hide contents

13445385_10210247603975744_2501278775629

Wow, does he look like Mark Ruffalo (sp?) in this picture or what?

On 6/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, OyToTheVey said:

I honestly don't see what the problem with gender specific clothing is. Most little girls I know favorite color is pink or purple. My niece wouldn't wear anything that didn't have purple in it. I don't like the fundie huge ass bow on babies head but that's because the babies heads are so sensitive and they shouldn't have stuff wrapped around it all the time. Their skulls are still soft. But if I ever decide to reproduce my kid is gonna have glitter and sparkle and tutus.

I don't get it either, but different strokes.  I take pride in how I dress my kids, and if my daughter wants to look pretty and girly, I facilitate it.  My son just wants comfort.

3 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Wow, does he look like Mark Ruffalo (sp?) in this picture or what?

I don't see it at all personally, not enough hair! 

4 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I don't see it at all personally, not enough hair! 

You're right about that, actually; it's more in his eyes & eyebrows than the hair.

12 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't get it either, but different strokes.  I take pride in how I dress my kids, and if my daughter wants to look pretty and girly, I facilitate it.  My son just wants comfort.

Agreed. My niece looks totally adorable in girly dresses and skirts. She's also tan with really dark hair so a bright flower bow looks so cute on her. And tbh my middle nephew probably doesn't even realize he's wearing clothes most of the time. Kid is 10 and totally not self aware. He can be wearing 2 different shoes and not realize it.

On 6/28/2016 at 2:58 PM, sophie10130 said:

Something I love that I've heard other people hate is alcohol-related baby clothes. A lot of breweries sell onesies in their gift shops these days.... I think they're cute and there's nothing wrong with normalizing (relatively) healthy attitudes toward alcohol, but I've seen people fuss about it.

Not that that has anything to do with the Bates, clearly, haha.

On 6/23/2016 at 9:18 PM, Casserole said:

It is two hats... most hospitals do it for girls if the parents want it.

I'm from NJ. We like big bows. I'll never understand the hardcore snarking on fundies for the bows because I see it every day. Has nothing to do with their religion or gender roles. 

Definitely not just a fundie thing. But I loathe all the head gear people put on baby girls, 99% of it looks so stupid to me. But I just have boys, what do I know.

On 6/24/2016 at 11:28 AM, princessmahina said:

I think the bows are kind of cute myself.

All newborns look a little potato-y to me, so I'll hold off on calling her cute for a bit. She has some good genes though- Bradley is one of the cutest babies I've ever seen, and I'm sure Kaci Lynn will be lovely.

(I will say that i'm a little disappointed they had a girl. Females get a raw deal in this cult and it saddens me every time a fundie has one)

Walnuts! They look like walnuts! They really need to fatten up and unfurl for a bit before they're cute IMO. My own kids looked like alien fetuses at birth (2lb each), but they fattened up into the cutest fucking things I've ever seen (and by fattened up, I mean still way under weight, but like 5lb or so!).

On 6/26/2016 at 10:27 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Those old nightgowns and kimonos have all but completely disappeared.

I had my babies in 2011 but they wore the nightgowns that are open at the bottom and very long. So easy for diaper changes at night! And the kimono ones were great in NICU when you have leads with wires everywhere, or with a newborn and a new mom who is scared to try to get a onesie over his floppy head!

With my son we ended up with a fair amount of frog related clothing along with the typical boyish clothes. We realized about a year in he had a preference for the color yellow. We discovered this going through baby pictures and there were a fair number where he would have the yellow ring or ball in his hands or mouth. Now that he's older he basically goes for comfort and has tons of t-shirts. He cracked me up this past weekend. He was all okay bath for the party since a friend was having a birthday party. Then I am wearing my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shirt because he likes them. Basically the idea of not trying to go gender neutral seems to be a waste when these same families are supposed to be good stewards of money.

7 hours ago, infooverload said:

Basically the idea of not trying to go gender neutral seems to be a waste when these same families are supposed to be good stewards of money.

This families are willing to have more than 10 kids. So shopping girly/boyish clothes is not a waste, they're going to reuse all of them for sure. This said, even fundies with only 1 children, would not like gender neutral clothes, because they try hard to reinforce traditional gender roles since the very first day of life.

On 28/6/2016 at 5:10 PM, Feministe9000 said:

I cannot get over how adorable Bradley is, my god what a cute kid!

This is a sweet picture, snarking on Kaci Lynn's headbands and everything else aside.

BradleyandKaciLynn.PNG

this picture makes my hormones go crazy! I'm imagining my little boy with a baby sister.

Then I remember that my toddler isn't sleeping all through the night yet and my hormones shut up quickly.

It seems that the norm these days is gender neutral leans masculine.  Zara just started selling gender neutral adult's clothing and it seems to be plain gray sweats (including the type that Justin Bieber wears that makes someone look like they're wearing a saggy diaper), t-shirts, and jeans.  (All historically masculine).

I have yet to see a historically feminine item like a skirt be considered gender neutral (even though guys have modeled them before).  

As for little kids--- I've heard on several other forums to look for anything gender neutral in the boys' section.  Are Disney Princesses enemy #1 of the gender neutral movement?

If you're any good at sewing (or know someone who is!), making your own baby clothes could be an option? 

My mum is fantastic at it and she made lots of my baby clothes. Mostly dresses, I think I was more comfortable in them, but they weren't pink and frilly by any means! I had one that was beige coloured and had all the Beatrix Potter characters on it - very cute and became a bit of a family heirloom :)

To the poster above who said babies need to unfurl before they become cute - I agree! My mum says I looked "like a skinned rabbit" when I was born because I was all red and floppy. I was like THANKS MUM.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived