IGNORED

Kaci Lynn is here - Whitney and Zach's 2nd baby

Mrs. Figg

3 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

If I ever reproduce, I fully intend to make one of those awesome crocheted viking hats, complete with horns. Ravelry is a cornucopia of hilarious kid hat patterns. 

Word. I fully intend to recreate Louise from Bob's Burger's for Little Girl Test Tube.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

When I think of the matching homemade frumpers and prairie dresses the Bates daughters wore back in the day, I'm glad to see Kaci Lynn (like Ally Jane before her) dressed in normal trendy baby clothes that you'd buy at the mall. No, I'm not crazy about all the pink stuff, but it seems that most parents nowadays (not just fundies) dress their daughters in very girly princessy clothes. I wouldn't even know where to find unisex baby clothes-- everything in the stores screams THIS IS FOR GIRLS or THIS IS FOR BOYS.

I'm not telling you stores because I'm in another country, but after some years of just-pink-princess for little girls, I'm starting to see some neutral clothes. I've been shopping for a friend's baby girl and I found yellow, green, orange clothes with no bows nor flowers, just little  animals or dots/stripes....in the girls section! I found neutral clothes before, but only in boys section.

Target, Kohl's, Carters, and Buy Buy Baby, but you have to look.  I think it began when most people found out which sex they were expecting from ultrasounds.  Before that it was usually necessary to buy at least a few gender neutral items so you'd have at least an initial layette.  Those old nightgowns and kimonos have all but completely disappeared.

14 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

When I think of the matching homemade frumpers and prairie dresses the Bates daughters wore back in the day, I'm glad to see Kaci Lynn (like Ally Jane before her) dressed in normal trendy baby clothes that you'd buy at the mall. No, I'm not crazy about all the pink stuff, but it seems that most parents nowadays (not just fundies) dress their daughters in very girly princessy clothes. I wouldn't even know where to find unisex baby clothes-- everything in the stores screams THIS IS FOR GIRLS or THIS IS FOR BOYS.

When my daughter was born back in the early 90s, I bought a ton of stuff from The Children's Place, always on deep discount (their sales were legendary!).  Everything she wore was super soft, comfortable, and easy to put on/get off. And most of it was NOT pink. I had bought a lot of stuff there for my slightly older son as well, and his sister ended up wearing some of his hand me downs because they truly were unisex. I can't stand the little girls' departments in stores at the moment--it's like walking down the Barbie aisle in Toys R Us. 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of super gender specific baby items. I've been browsing Target a lot - because I can't help myself - and after the initial 0-3 month stuff everything is super gender specific. It's a bit disheartening. I'd rather dress my baby in neutral colors and let them decide what colors they like as they get older.

If i ever have a girl she is going to be my dress-up doll until she is old enough to tell me to fuck off :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of super gender specific baby items. I've been browsing Target a lot - because I can't help myself - and after the initial 0-3 month stuff everything is super gender specific. It's a bit disheartening. I'd rather dress my baby in neutral colors and let them decide what colors they like as they get older.

They have a lot of cute onesie sets in various sizes on Amazon that are pretty gender neutral. They may be labeled as "boy" or "girl" in the description, but there's usually a bunch of color options and not all of them are sports and sparkle. I snagged a few for family members a while back. 

IA on letting kids where what they want. I got into so many fights with my mother as a fairly young kid over not wanting to wear poofy, lacy dresses (meanwhile, my sister would throw fits if you tried to make her wear pants). It was such a ridiculous thing to argue over. The gods of karma will probably send me the girliest girl ever, but if she wants to wear nothing but tutus, ballet slippers, and glitter-covered shirts, I'll respect that. 

Speaking of baby clothes, my favourite thing to get biologists or people in the medical field when they're expecting is a onesie with the mitosis cycle and the phrase "Look, I'm growing!" for etsy.  I now have a staple baby shower gift for most of my friends :P 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm sure your child wouldn't hate you forever for putting them in pink or blue onesies when they were babies :my_biggrin: My parents went all yellow and blue crazy when I was a baby, and I'm an all-pink all the time girl now. No hard feelings ;)

22 minutes ago, RhythmicSkater said:

I'm sure your child wouldn't hate you forever for putting them in pink or blue onesies when they were babies :my_biggrin: My parents went all yellow and blue crazy when I was a baby, and I'm an all-pink all the time girl now. No hard feelings ;)

Yeah, but I also don't like pink or how overly girly a lot of baby stuff is (it's cool for those who do though - I'm not a complete monster.) 

And on a more personal level, my brother is Transgender and that can make looking at his old baby pictures a bit uncomfortable for him. I'd rather just avoid that altogether and go with cute gender neutral stuff until the kid is old enough to make their opinions known.

On the gender neutral topic I was buying birthday presents for my niece who is turning 3 next month, I've got her a Barbie and pack of hot wheels cars. She likes playing with both. Clothing wise I don't mind a little bit of girly pink for girls but hate over the top stuff on babies, they will just be sick or get food on it anyway.

I'll admit I'm one of those who loves over the top bows, dresses, etc for a girl.  If I ever have a girl its going to look like a pinterest party.  I do however want some hockey gear, and not the pink  kind.

My issue with a lot of the girly stuff with glitter, sequins or tulle is that its scratchy and itchy and in some cases like rhinestones I'd worry about a choking hazzard. 

22 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

They have a lot of cute onesie sets in various sizes on Amazon that are pretty gender neutral. They may be labeled as "boy" or "girl" in the description, but there's usually a bunch of color options and not all of them are sports and sparkle. I snagged a few for family members a while back. 

IA on letting kids where what they want. I got into so many fights with my mother as a fairly young kid over not wanting to wear poofy, lacy dresses (meanwhile, my sister would throw fits if you tried to make her wear pants). It was such a ridiculous thing to argue over. The gods of karma will probably send me the girliest girl ever, but if she wants to wear nothing but tutus, ballet slippers, and glitter-covered shirts, I'll respect that. 

I did this as a baby too. 23 (almost 24) years later, nothing has changed. :pb_lol:

I honestly don't see what the problem with gender specific clothing is. Most little girls I know favorite color is pink or purple. My niece wouldn't wear anything that didn't have purple in it. I don't like the fundie huge ass bow on babies head but that's because the babies heads are so sensitive and they shouldn't have stuff wrapped around it all the time. Their skulls are still soft. But if I ever decide to reproduce my kid is gonna have glitter and sparkle and tutus.

13 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I honestly don't see what the problem with gender specific clothing is. Most little girls I know favorite color is pink or purple. My niece wouldn't wear anything that didn't have purple in it. I don't like the fundie huge ass bow on babies head but that's because the babies heads are so sensitive and they shouldn't have stuff wrapped around it all the time. Their skulls are still soft. But if I ever decide to reproduce my kid is gonna have glitter and sparkle and tutus.

To each their own. I don't like gender specific too much for the reasons I stated in another post. If others feel differently that's cool too though. As long as baby is healthy and happy that's all that matters.

I think it has a lot to do with where people are from. General observations from an Australian: I've noticed that gender specific clothing and big bows on babies is prevalent in the southern states of America... Or anywhere that is more 'traditional' in its thinking.

The idea of gender and assigned sex being a separate thing is only now becoming more talked about and a lot of people are conscious of not putting others in certain boxes.

For some people, it has nothing to do with being progressive, some people just get sick of pink frills and prefer muted tones... Which are very trendy at the moment.

One other photo of baby Kacy nothing around her head today 

I am a tomboy. Give me a hoodie and sweatpants any day. My girls on the other hand are totally different. Oldest won't wear anything that remotely looks like a boy would wear it. My lil one is all about Frozen and My little pony. To each their own. Where I live most of the time the babies are just wearing a onesie.

My first priority with children's clothes is comfortable and good for playing. An infant doesn't move around much but I apply this principle from the start. The second one is choice and variation when it comes to colors and models. For babies I mostly pick onesies and pants but I use all colors and patterns. My daughter had a couple dresses but comfortable ones and no tutus or anything like that before she could ask for it (she has two tutus now at 4). With older kids I go for clothes that fit their body, my daughter wants comfortable trousers (No "hard" pants is her rule), sweaters, t-shirts and dresses. I pick mostly comfortable play-friendly dresses and try to keep her away from dresses that are impractical. She has two princess dresses that is for dress-up only.

I am pregnant with a son now and he has got mostly his sister's old clothes that are all kinds of colors. He will probably occasionally wear a dress (the type that just looks like a long sweater or t-shirt) but if we are going to any event I might buy a shirt or something more typically "boy" for him. I tend to go neutral and even crossover but when we go to a party I am not there to make a statement so this is when I allow the most stereotypical clothes. If I get something that I think is too violent or too unsuitable for a tiny baby I will not use it. He is a cute, soft and cuddly little thing and no killing machine so I will much rather dress him in pink and purple with frills than in camouflage. Just like with his sister, when he is old enough to ask for it he will get it but other than a tiny thing inside a diaper a baby is a baby. 

Gender specific clothing doesn't bother me, but I would want some neutral outfits and I would not my gender specific options to be outrageous. I hate bows, even the little bands because it just seems like an unnecessary item. 

Gender specific clothing doesn't bother me as much as those weirdly sexual baby onesies that are seemingly very popular right now. The ones that say things like 'All the boys want me' or 'Little Ladies Man' or anything that implies the baby has some sort of amorous connections. 

I cannot get over how adorable Bradley is, my god what a cute kid!

This is a sweet picture, snarking on Kaci Lynn's headbands and everything else aside.

BradleyandKaciLynn.PNG

Actually from the pics we've seen of Allie Jane, she's not dressed nearly as gender specific as my non fundie nieces are (older by her own choice).  Photo evidence tumblr_o7prx9LOpC1r8mb1io2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nx68ewecOR1r8mb1io1_1280.jpg

ETA in the first outfit, if it were a black and white pic you couldn't tell if the outfit was for a boy or girl.  The second one is slightly 'girly' but the colors are not traditionally feminine and definitely not associated with a baby girl.

I also sometimes feel like a bad progressive because my choices of clothes are very girly/feminine (no pants in the summer, no shorts ever, feminine colors, etc).  As was said before, gender and sex being different things has only come into the mainstream recently and I understand it but sometimes (personally) have a hard time with it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived