willpower

1 minute ago, EmiGirl said:

I'm not even sure the pearl kids have birth certificates and social security numbers. 

If they don't. Have they said why they don't. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

If they don't. Have they said why they don't. 

Because ebil government and Jesus.

In a post about daughter Shoshanna's wedding, Michael Pearl explains:

None of my daughters or their husbands asked the state of Tennessee for permission to marry. They did not yoke themselves to government. It was a personal, private covenant, binding them together forever—until death. So when the sodomites have come to share in the state marriage licenses, which will eventually be the law, James and Shoshanna will not be in league with those perverts. And, while I am on the subject, there will come a time when faithful Christians will either revoke their state marriage licenses and establish an exclusively one man-one woman covenant of marriage, or, they will forfeit the sanctity of their covenant by being unequally yoked together with perverts. 

That doesn't say anything about his sons, though, so I suppose it's possible that they have marriage licenses. 

I have no idea about whether the kids/grandkids have social security numbers.

49 minutes ago, molecule said:

In a post about daughter Shoshanna's wedding, Michael Pearl explains:

None of my daughters or their husbands asked the state of Tennessee for permission to marry. They did not yoke themselves to government. It was a personal, private covenant, binding them together forever—until death. So when the sodomites have come to share in the state marriage licenses, which will eventually be the law, James and Shoshanna will not be in league with those perverts. And, while I am on the subject, there will come a time when faithful Christians will either revoke their state marriage licenses and establish an exclusively one man-one woman covenant of marriage, or, they will forfeit the sanctity of their covenant by being unequally yoked together with perverts. 

That doesn't say anything about his sons, though, so I suppose it's possible that they have marriage licenses. 

I have no idea about whether the kids/grandkids have social security numbers.

So this also means his daughters and possible DILs are screwed when the husband dies. They wouldn't get the death benefits of the spouse. The kids (if minors) would get them for being his/her child but the "wife" would not get SSA benefits (if the men work for jobs that are not under the table). Another way to keep the women in their place. :angry-screaming:

56 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

So this also means his daughters and possible DILs are screwed when the husband dies. They wouldn't get the death benefits of the spouse. The kids (if minors) would get them for being his/her child but the "wife" would not get SSA benefits (if the men work for jobs that are not under the table). Another way to keep the women in their place. :angry-screaming:

they are pretty much screwed just having those two as parents. I can't imagine any of them working with the public.

I don't understand the logic. Why would a Tennessee marriage forfeit the sanctity of the covenant just because them gays can get married too? Shouldn't the sanctity of your marriage be dependent on you and your spouse, not some strangers who have nothing to do with your relationship?  Gays have driving licences too, should Christians drive without a licence?  

4 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Shouldn't the sanctity of your marriage be dependent on you and your spouse, not some strangers who have nothing to do with your relationship?  Gays have driving licences too, should Christians drive without a licence?  

Thank you!  

These nitwits could have given a fuck less that heterosexual people of other religions/different belief systems/atheists were getting married.  They didn't worry about the "sanctity of their marriage" when heterosexual people were getting divorced left and right (like their son).  Let a gay couple get married though, and God help us all.  :pb_rollseyes: Idiots.

I have just read M Pearls account of his daughters wedding. Sounds wonderful. Lovely description until the line describing Shannas dancing and the groom being "well salivated" yuck and double yuck.

A father describing his daughters new husband as drooling over her( I took it to mean that) totally disgusting and totally, utterly immodest.

M Pearl was thinking about his own honeymoon night perhaps? We all know how that went.

How can a human being and father to boot be so disgusting?????

26 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't understand the logic. Why would a Tennessee marriage forfeit the sanctity of the covenant just because them gays can get married too? Shouldn't the sanctity of your marriage be dependent on you and your spouse, not some strangers who have nothing to do with your relationship?  Gays have driving licences too, should Christians drive without a licence?  

Because reasons.

I'm confused here. If anyone cares to enlighten me, am I to understand that A. None of the kids have birth certificates and thus SSNs. B. The girls, and likely Gabriel are not legally married. C. The wives have no support if their spouse were to die or they were to "divorce." So, uh, how does Gabriel own any property (such as a house) if he doesn't technically exist? *scratches head* and did I read wrong that it seems like the Pearls are doing everything to get the kids away from Gabriel's ex? What a mess. What horrible people.

@16strong - at least one of the daughters (per Michael Pearl's own words) was not legally married.  I don't know that it's ever been addressed for the others.

Re: SSNs. Micheal Pearl had this to say in the March-April 2000 issue of NGJ Magazine:

When Deb and I first began to have children, we decided not to force them to participate in the social security system—a voluntary tax. We have trusted God for our security in all areas and do not look to the Federal Government for our medical, housing, retirement, or otherwise. The government gives all citizens the option to not participate, and we chose that option within the bounds of the law. My children are grown and have survived without it. They have gone to college, gotten a passport, traveled overseas, worked, maintained a bank account, and held a driver’s license without any problem. If your children do not have a social security number and your state will not give them a license without one, then go to the social security office and request a paper stating that due to religious convictions, John Doe does not have a social security number. Present that paper where a number is required and there should be no problem. In most cases everyone is ignorant of the law and will try to intimidate you into compliance. Stand your ground and trust in God. He will supply all your need. We are not tax protesters. We pay all taxes that are levied. We just choose not to volunteer any more than is required.

Four years later, when their youngest daughter Shoshanna "married" James Easling, Michael Pearl had this to say about marriage licenses:

None of my daughters or their husbands asked the state of Tennessee for permission to marry. They did not yoke themselves to government. It was a personal, private covenant, binding them together forever—until death. So when the sodomites have come to share in the state marriage licenses, which will eventually be the law, James and Shoshanna will not be in league with those perverts. And, while I am on the subject, there will come a time when faithful Christians will either revoke their state marriage licenses and establish an exclusively one man-one woman covenant of marriage, or, they will forfeit the sanctity of their covenant by being unequally yoked together with perverts. The sooner there is such a movement, the sooner we will have a voice in government. Some of you attorneys and statesmen reading this should get together and come up with an approach that will have credibility and help to impact the political process. Please contact me when you do and I will assist with publicity.
Michael Pearl

So, it sounds like none of the three daughters (Rebekah, Shalom or Shoshanna) have marriage licenses -- who knows what the two sons (Nathan & Gabriel) did?

It does look Gabriel & his (ex)wife jointly owned property in TN as Gabriel Pearl and Lorraine Pearl, judging from google results which I will not post here since a residential address is included -- have no idea if either one still lives on or owns the property.

ETA: Gabe married Lori in 2004:

Gabriel Pearl, our firstborn son, is now wed to Lori Munsell of Morrow County Ohio. We rejoice in this union that God has joined together. They were married not long after sunup on September 1, 2004. They soon departed for aqua water and islands unknown. We do not yet have pictures and cannot give you more detail, for the wedding took place after this publication was ready for press.

6 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

>>... the groom being "well salivated" yuck and double yuck.<<

Maybe this comes from being a medical history nerd, but "well salivated" to me means somebody went wayyyy too heavy on the mercury compounds in the do-it-yourself medicking, since excess drooling is a marked indicator of major overdosing.

Gonna be a bit contrarian, just because (*puts on the magic hat*).

Look, if you think getting all married or handfasted or betrothed or paired or bonded IS a big honking deal in your particular belief system---well, no argument.  For myself, I don't care just how you solemnize your bonding, but there are some legal issues which are useful to evaluate as you go. Think carefully---especially if there are minors and/or property rights involved.

But why on earth would the worldly actions of all those other unGodly people, nonbelievers, heathens, Pagans, atheists, or whoever around you, affect the pairing of your sanctified true hearts, minds, and souls?

(subquote from hoipolloi): >> They did not yoke themselves to government. It was a personal, private covenant, binding them together forever—until death. <<

SOOOOO, if a kid finds zhe wound up bonded with an unbeliever or in a truly horrible soul-killing ghastly relationship, they get to practice decades of chastity and continence till someone in the bond dies and they're freed to marry/bond again?  I await with bated breath to see what the Pearl kids will choose....

(Full disclosure: I don't like divorce. THAT possibility should have been talked about long before you get a license---and yes, my Olde-Fashioned parents were completely horrified that Dear Spouse of 37-years-and-counting and I talked about reasonable grounds for divorce for months before marrying.  But heck, when you see 1:4 marriages tanking, it makes sense to evaluate risks--same as you get life insurance.)  Nonetheless, think a relatively peaceful divorce [and possibly remarriage--no opinions on that] way beats living for decades in hell, and possibly subjecting children to years of hatred and conflict.)

9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Gabriel Pearl, our firstborn son, is now wed to Lori Munsell of Morrow County Ohio. We rejoice in this union that God has joined together. They were married not long after sunup on September 1, 2004. They soon departed for aqua water and islands unknown. We do not yet have pictures and cannot give you more detail, for the wedding took place after this publication was ready for press.

Was it a legal marriage?  I looked but couldn't find it.

On 2016-06-20 at 5:16 PM, willpower said:

*Michael and Debi.

I am saying that they all strive to be good people. The ending results of their desire is questionable, but what they do, they do because they think is right. I can respect that, but that is as far as my respect goes. Their view of  right and wrong is not my view of right and wrong. The fact that they cannot respect that makes us very different people.

:5624795915324_32(21):

I'll have to strenously disagree on the "good people" part.

"I did what I thought was right" is a pretty useless tool for evaluating whether someone is actually good.  People can do heinous stuff while believing that it was justified.

The Pearls teach that inflicting pain on children is essential if you want them to grow into good people.  They teach that God requires this.  They teach that it needs to start from the time they are small babies.  They think that it's appropriate to repeatedly inflict pain on a toddler who is overtired and crying for his mother during a long, late-night road trip.  They convince parents to see ordinary child behaviors as defiance, or signs that a child is in Satan's grip, or in the grip of foolishness which must be beaten out of them.  They teach that if a husband molests children, the wife should welcome him back home after he serves his sentence.  They think that instant obedience is a good thing.  They teach that people like me and my family are going to hell.  They teach that women with bullying husbands should simply obey their wishes.  They teach that wives should have sex on demand and not complain if it is painful.

The things that they clearly and deliberately teaching are, objectively speaking, very bad.

I think that intentions matters to a certain extent, but whether you judge your own actions as good or bad does not.  It matters if someone intends to inflict harm on a baby and believes that babies can be evil and manipulative unless beaten, because that person is more likely to actively harm a child and be resistant to efforts to learn better parenting techniques.  From a child protection POV, the risk is increased.

1 hour ago, gustava said:

Was it a legal marriage?  I looked but couldn't find it.

Hard to tell. Unlike other states (e.g., TX), TN doesn't seem to have online data for recent marriages, divorces, etc.

The property records seem to indicate that she changed her surname to "Pearl" but you could do that without a wedding license.

Sorry to derail this back to Gabriel Pearl, but is he living at home?  Anyone know how to find out if his ex (Lori) has a fb page?  Did Lori lose custody of the children or did he just finally get visitation rights or joint custory?

i'm surprised they haven't cut gabe completely out of their lives. i've known parents who would refuse to acknowledge their adult kids for less. divorce? definitely a disownable offense.

and if i'm being accused of being too judgey for believing that michael pearl is a monster who advocates child abuse (which i believe that he is morally responsible for, though technically not legally) and who BRAGGED about raping his wife on their wedding night to the point where she collapsed from exhaustion in the shower IN WRITING...then fuck it, i'm a judgey bitch. granted, i usually like to believe the best of people, but this is one person i cannot do that with at all.

21 hours ago, Howl said:

Sorry to derail this back to Gabriel Pearl, but is he living at home?  Anyone know how to find out if his ex (Lori) has a fb page?  Did Lori lose custody of the children or did he just finally get visitation rights or joint custory?

According to his FB page, he's now on Kauai where his brother Nathan relocated 2-3 years ago. Presumably, that's where he took the kids, which suggests to me that Lori lost custody or at least had her custody arrangements cut way back.

Re: Gabe not being ostracized by his no-divorce, asshole parents. This doesn't surprise me at all. Like all other fundies, the Pearls have no problem preaching "Do as we say, not as we do" because there's an always an exception for them & their family.

Would really like to know what's up with Rebekah & Gabe Anast. Last I recall, they'd had baby #7 but that was several years ago.

Hm but if he was never legally married because gays, then he is not divorced and it doesn't count.

So in other words, since they can't really divorce, Gabe and Lori are consciously uncoupled. How very trendy of them. They've out-Gwyneth-ed Gwyneth.

Hm but if he was never legally married because gays, then he is not divorced and it doesn't count.

haha, maybe THAT'S the workaround! :P

Maybe this the fundie equivalent of an annulment in the RC Church.

He could have also taken the kids. Never underestimate the power of asshollery.

Archived