IGNORED

Andrea Yates show that discusses religious aspect of case

Eternalbluepearl

I'm just now finding this thread and the entire story.  I vaguely remember this in the news back then.  I never knew the backstory or followed it closely enough to know that she was affected by mental illness or evangelism.  I think in our news she was just painted as a crazy woman who committed an atrocity akin to Casey Anthony or Jodie Arias.  

My heart breaks for her and all of her children.  Her husband should have been held accountable in his own right.  Regardless of whether or not he should have been looking after her well being, he definitely should have seen to his children.  I find it hard to believe a spouse is so blind as to not know their partner to this degree.  IMHO, it was willful ignorance on his part. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/21/2016 at 10:39 AM, JMO said:

I will say that discussion of postpartum mental illness is much more open than it was when Andrea Yates was a struggling mom in severe psychosis.  Partially because of her, I believe, people are willing to talk about it.  She is the warning, what can happen if we ignore the signs and don't screen women for postpartum illness. 

I know this is a super old thread, but alas I have insomnia and am going through any thread that catches my eye. I was in middle school when this happened and I followed the story every step of the way. The entire time I felt for Andrea and what place her mind must have been in. I didn’t realize she was quiverful until maybe five years ago. I 100000% agree with you that this case was a wake up call to everyone about what can happen to the post partum mind and that we couldn’t ignore it any longer. 

Archived