IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

On 6/19/2016 at 4:37 AM, formergothardite said:

Can you imagine that booth! Pink, frilly and full of dollar tree items. Lots of paintings from the 1800's of women wearing white and standing in fields. Lady Lydia would be dressed in some hideous outfit that she crafted herself. She could tell graduates how they too could grow up to spend their days putting tea cups out in the rain to make raindrop tea and making pink curtains for old trucks. 

I think this is an excellent idea and I hope Lydia gets her booth! I'd expect a lot of girls to go directly from her booth to their advisor's office to see if they could fit some more math classes into their schedule.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boys: Researcher, mechanic, mechanic, mechanic, good job, study medicine, business degree, computer science masters, diesel tech, teacher, firefighter, argritect lawn maintenance (family business), mechanic, family farm, army/archaeology,  mechanical engineering, military/farm, rodeo, published author, agricultural degree, civil engineer, job.

Girls: coast guard, therapist, criminal forensics, new life somewhere, chemical engineering degree, biotechnology, vet, lawyer, film-maker, school for photography, army, civil engineering.

And yet, she makes the "point" that the boy's ambitions are grounded and realistic and the girl's are not somehow realistic for them.

However, my boyfriend (who I came home to today while he was washing the dishes, the heathen horror) notes that it is just financially more difficult to be a housewife these days, even if you want to. I recall that my mom wanted to but was it every fiscally viable? Nope. And then she got a divorce -- because she happens -- so she really needed that degree. 

15 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Using that definition I've made some dinners that took several weeks to make... 

If that's the case I have a cake that isn't finished yet and I've apparently been working on it for years... I wonder if it'll be stale by the time I end up baking it.

11 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Lydia is reading. Hi!!!!!!!

She sent me an email re the posting I made earlier. She is aware of all of our comments. Doesn't sound happy with me. 

<snip for space>

Did she thank you for the book?  

@Lydia is definitely lacking in the manners department.  She should have sent you a pink card passive aggressively thanking for you for the kind donation of kindling or toilet paper at the very least.

9 hours ago, Antimony said:

Boys: Researcher, mechanic, mechanic, mechanic, good job, study medicine, business degree, computer science masters, diesel tech, teacher, firefighter, argritect lawn maintenance (family business), mechanic, family farm, army/archaeology,  mechanical engineering, military/farm, rodeo, published author, agricultural degree, civil engineer, job.

Girls: coast guard, therapist, criminal forensics, new life somewhere, chemical engineering degree, biotechnology, vet, lawyer, film-maker, school for photography, army, civil engineering.

And yet, she makes the "point" that the boy's ambitions are grounded and realistic and the girl's are not somehow realistic for them.

Because rodeo is a biblical activity (the guy who fought with his donkey, Balaam (sp?)). No one ever took any photographs in the Bible.

It seemed to me that Lydia particularly approves of all the young men whose goals were vague and unspecific ("a good job", "earning a good living"), probably indicating they have no idea what they want to do in the future. :)  

10 hours ago, Antimony said:

However, my boyfriend (who I came home to today while he was washing the dishes, the heathen horror) notes that it is just financially more difficult to be a housewife these days, even if you want to. I recall that my mom wanted to but was it every fiscally viable? Nope. And then she got a divorce -- because she happens -- so she really needed that degree. 

Those girls have some awesome life plans! The boys too!

One of my daughters wants to be the first woman on Mars. She reads books about space nonstop and is currently writing a "top secret project" that she wants me to send to NASA. 

Let Lydia come up to her and tell her that she can't go into space because she's a girl and meant for so much less. I would film it and put it up on the YouTube. 

30 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

One of my daughters wants to be the first woman on Mars. She reads books about space nonstop and is currently writing a "top secret project" that she wants me to send to NASA. 

Let Lydia come up to her and tell her that she can't go into space because she's a girl and meant for so much less. I would film it and put it up on the YouTube. 

Oh but that is no problem, I would think... when the male humans go to Mars they're gonna need someone to cook and clean and breed for them.

Lydia, here's my story. I'd be interested in your opinion. I stayed home when my kids were very small, in good part because the cost of child care for two in diapers would have eaten up most of what I made. I did things like volunteer at our co-op grocery, which got us big discounts on food, and I used the bus instead of having a second car. I loved watching the kids develop into toddlers.

Then my husband lost his job. We both looked for jobs, and I got a good one, while he had trouble finding work, and then for years only worked part time. He also cared for his elderly father. I was the sole wage earner for a long time, and ever since I have been the main wage earner. My husband is an amazing cook who takes a lot of time planning meals, but even he doesn't spend all day at it. (There's some big soccer game today, so he's planning a "simple" chicken and Mediterranean vegetable thing from scratch.)

Result: My husband was an excellent role model for my kids, and as adults they both think the world of him.

@Lydia, if you're open to questions:

What would you say to a middle aged woman, ten years out from retirement, who remained faithful to her minister-husband, stayed home several years to homeschool the children, returned to the workforce to pay for the children's college educations, and was looking forward to returning to the home at some point...who is now divorced because her minister-husband kept having affairs?  She is currently working full time and is technically bankrupt.  Her income cannot match her bills and mortgage and she has no alimony.  Her children are grown.  She is a Bible-believing, born-again, believer in Jesus as her Savior, btw.

Would you recommend that she stay at home, alone all day, not receiving an income, only to be evicted because of foreclosure and resort to begging for meals and staying at the Salvation Army at night?  Seriously.  I want to know.  Should she not work?

By the way, I am that woman.

Fifty years ago, most of the young ladies from the graduating high school class wrote in the year-book and  the newspaper that they were hoping to get married, have a house, raise children and be good cooks.

Fifty years ago was 1966.  By 1966 women made up one-third of the work force and the number would rise steadily.  Women graduates in the 1960s regularly went to college and had meaningful careers.  My mother and all of her siblings finished high school in the 50's and 60's.  All went on to college, all had careers, all married.  Most had kids.  They're all great cooks.

My maternal grandmother went to a teacher's college in 1916.  She was a fourth-grade school teacher all of her adult life until she retired.  She was married and my mother was their only child.  She loved what she did and she loved her family and she was a wonderful, wonderful grandmother.  She was also a great cook and took wonderful care of her home.

15 hours ago, catlady said:

Weekly?!  Holy FSM, I think the last time I washed my windows was three or four years ago.  The patio door with the dog slobber doesn't get washed every week.

It's not slobber. It's your dog's nose print art.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh but that is no problem, I would think... when the male humans go to Mars they're gonna need someone to cook and clean and breed for them.

That Martian dust gets EVERYWHERE.

I like Lydia's idea of a "home making w/o education as a career" booth at career fairs. 

In the next booth should be representatives of social services to explain applying for aid. 

Next to that, representatives of agencies for the homeless or for refugees from abusive spouses where the refugee has no place to take her/his children and no training for employment that would provide for them and him/herself.

Equal time, and all.  

Maybe we also need a booth for young men, saying that it's their duty to locate a young woman in a frilly apron who doesn't want to join the work force, support her financially for the rest of his life and let her decorate his house.

Why do fundie women think that having a career and a marriage/motherhood/cooking/cleaning are mutually exclusive?   As the more astute of you may have gathered from my name, I'm a doctor and a mother. I've been married for almost 20 years.  I have three really great kids who not only attended daycare, but thrived there.  My house is clean (because I pay someone to clean it) and nicely decorated (but no pink or frills).  I make dinner from scratch every night except Fridays.  Last night we had cedar plank grilled salmon with grilled asparagus and zucchini and it took me 30 minutes from start to finish.  Lydia, come and visit and open your eyes.  The world is full of amazing women doing amazing things. God created us too and said it was good.

I work 12 hours a day and I still manage to cook dinners from scratch.  I find time to play with my toddler and preschooler as well as do the whole bedtime routine (baths, teeth brushing, book reading, and tucking in).  I keep the house relatively clean and make sure the laundry is done and the lawn is mowed.  All this while also training for a marathon.  I think Lydia is just lazy.

4 hours ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Let Lydia come up to her and tell her that she can't go into space because she's a girl and meant for so much less.

Yes, the bolded is what the Botkin girls' book *ought* to have been titled.

The teen and I were discussing this just yesterday. The teen is an atheist, but knows the bible a lot better than many xstians we know, because bible memorization was a thing in our homeschool. One of the thing we talked about was that the bible says "all good gifts come from the Lord" and in the same conversation, we were talking about the parable of the talents. People like LL (since it appears to delight her to see her name in print, I am not willing to oblige) and the Botkins and their ilk are advocating for women to bury their talents in the ground, if they don't fit the narrow, man-defined parameters. As it turned out, the servant in the parable was judged and found wanting.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:12 PM, Caribou said:

Good grief....I put on a formal dinner for 6 people yesterday and I pulled it off in a day and a half. This included 6 courses, a table set with linens, formal dinnerware, crystal and silverware (which needed polishing), additional appetizers and cocktails and a thorough housecleaning. How the hell do these women (not) manage their time?

image.jpeg

Sorry for the OT post, but is that your dinner party @Caribou?

What a beautiful table, and in one of my favorite colors.  I'm going to look for a tutorial online for napkin folding.  I usually just put mine along the side of the plate, but your looks so nice.

23 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

In the chores list for the home maker there are windows for every Saturday. God wants windows washed weekly? 

Where is this chores list for the home maker, anyhow? Just curious.

It's amazing how many housecleaning schedule pins you can find on Pinterest...

27 minutes ago, refugee said:

Where is this chores list for the home maker, anyhow? Just curious.

It's amazing how many housecleaning schedule pins you can find on Pinterest...

The newest post titled, why does it take all day to keep house. 

52 minutes ago, kpmom said:

What a beautiful table, and in one of my favorite colors.  I'm going to look for a tutorial online for napkin folding.  I usually just put mine along the side of the plate, but your looks so nice.

Yeah, I gotta say, your table looks absolutely gorgeous!

On 6/19/2016 at 7:12 PM, Caribou said:

Good grief....I put on a formal dinner for 6 people yesterday and I pulled it off in a day and a half. This included 6 courses, a table set with linens, formal dinnerware, crystal and silverware (which needed polishing), additional appetizers and cocktails and a thorough housecleaning. How the hell do these women (not) manage their time?

image.jpeg

What a lovely table! We have the same silver pattern.

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Napkin rings are your friends.

@kpmom, @Koala, @Black Aliss, thanks for the compliments! I absolutely love throwing formal dinner parties and I usually host one or two a month for 6-14 people. It's a lot of work but a lot of fun and I find it my creative outlet to design a menu, table theme, flowers etc. I've inherited my grandmother's, mother's and mother-in-law's formal china, crystal and silverware and those sets, combined with my own (I'm old and formal dinnerware was still a bridal registry must) gives me an almost unlimited resource to draw upon. Given the choice of new clothes/shoes/purses/makeup vs. new tablecloths, napkins and napkin rings, the latter ALWAYS wins for me!

Archived