IGNORED

Upcoming Babies Five

SpoonfulOSugar

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, ladyamylynn said:

That's actually fairly regional. Here in the PNW, we pronounce different vowel sounds with a lot less distinction from one another, for example. This is known as the cot/caught merger. Here's more information if you're interested. http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/pacificnorthwest/

As with a lot of regional accent/dialect issues, it's not actually a matter of right or wrong. Personally I would pronounce Lenora and Lynnora the same. 

Since I also live in Oregon, although not in Portland, I read the article and found it very interesting. I don't pronounce words as young Portlanders do, but then I'm over 60. I did live up there during my growing up years, however. I say cot and caught differently. One of my children pronounces words as though he's from Portland, The others don't, and tease him.

Accents are interesting-we all have them, even if we don't think we do. I read an article a while ago that said Oregon is supposed to have the purest form of spoken English in the US. Something like that...

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Letgo said:

Accents are interesting-we all have them, even if we don't think we do. I read an article a while ago that said Oregon is supposed to have the purest form of spoken English in the US. Something like that...

I've always lived near cities along the east coast, and am used to New England, New York, and a subset of southern accents.  I also have a bunch of relatives in different parts of the southwest, so am familiar with those.  They all sound like accents, especially when I've been away for awhile.  I'd say the people I've met in and from Michigan have sounded most accentless to me.  I've never been to Oregon though.

2 hours ago, Letgo said:

Since I also live in Oregon, although not in Portland, I read the article and found it very interesting. I don't pronounce words as young Portlanders do, but then I'm over 60. I did live up there during my growing up years, however. I say cot and caught differently. One of my children pronounces words as though he's from Portland, The others don't, and tease him.

I have lived in many different parts of the Willamette Valley and coast range, I think the accent is a little more pronounced in Portland than in Salem or Eugene. I think there is a slightly different accent in smaller towns east of the Cascades. I'm in my mid 30s, but was born in the Midwest and lived there until I was 9, so 25 or so years here. My husband is a 3rd generation Portlander and his whole family has what I would consider a strong version of the accent.

19 hours ago, Letgo said:

There is really no so such thing as "purest" English.  I think when we say purest we mean closest to old school news caster English which is really just the US Midland accent.     I evaluate language for a living and there is such a thing as Standard American English, but it encompasses a variety of vowel variations and no one variation is anymore pure than the other.  

Honestly if we were going for pure, I would think we would have to say closest to British English so the purest accent would be one with a non-rhotic /r/ like the Boston or New York accent.  <shrug>

31 minutes ago, LaLele said:

Honestly if we were going for pure, I would think we would have to say closest to British English

And then we get into the whole which British English debate ;-D

6 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Back to baby news... Looks like Jocelyn Dixon just had another baby, a girl this time.

This is her 2nd right? Is she still with her former friend's (ex?) husband?

3 minutes ago, Bethella said:

This is her 2nd right? Is she still with her former friend's (ex?) husband?

Yes it's her 2nd. I'm pretty sure she's still with the same guy. The new baby looks just like her first.

7 hours ago, uber frau said:

How old is the first one?

Gotham Dean Smith was born in late April 2015 (I don't have an exact date) so about 18 months.

5 hours ago, Bethella said:

Gotham Dean Smith was born in late April 2015 (I don't have an exact date) so about 18 months.

That is such a weird name. Did they give a reason? It seems unlikely that fundies are fans of Batman.

Also he is the same age as my cats.

How has children's services not taken these children away from this cult? They publish books on abusing children, for crying out loud.

Sorry. End of rant.

4 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

That is such a weird name. Did they give a reason? It seems unlikely that fundies are fans of Batman.

I don't really follow Jocelyn. Maybe @ladyamylynn can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm remembering the story correctly Jocelyn and her family (parents and siblings) went somewhere on a mission that didn't go well. They came back and the parents split up. Jocelyn was staying with a friend and her husband but then Jocelyn and the husband hooked up and baby Gotham appeared. As far as I'm aware they're still not married (ie. she doesn't show up on the fundie marriage list), so its fairly safe to call her a former fundie. 

She and her mother still display all the batshit craziness the did when they were Fundie.  They just have a different cause now.

They remind me a little of Vycki Garrison. Just as rabid, different flavour.

8 hours ago, Granwych said:

Yup, inspired by "Batshit Crazy."  (His parents, that is.)    Poor little guy.

:D:D:D I laughed way too hard!! Gorgeous! And yes, what a poor little guy. All the kiddos with these heinous names should meet some day in the future, leave fundiedom alltogether and get themselves some nice, real names. Yes, I'm looking at you Spurge, Heistheway,...

8 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

I think I just fell in love with you a little bit for adding that information.

Amy Roberts of RaisingArrows.net had baby #10 this week.  Mercy Jacklyn weighed 11lb 7oz.  She had to be intubated and flown to another hospital due to Pierre Robins Syndrome.  She has a tiny jaw that needs to be enlarged to make room for her tongue and open up her airway :(   Updates are on her FB and Instagram accounts.  She had a tough pregnancy with much of it spent on bedrest while her husband was deployed.  The older kids pitched in.  At least they paid the oldest son.  I think they have regular insurance due to the husband being military (at least that's my understanding of what he does).  I'd hate to see the mess of trying to pay all these medical bills with scamaritan fake insurance. 

(long time lurker, first time poster)

45 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

Amy Roberts of RaisingArrows.net had baby #10 this week.  Mercy Jacklyn weighed 11lb 7oz.  She had to be intubated and flown to another hospital due to Pierre Robins Syndrome.  She has a tiny jaw that needs to be enlarged to make room for her tongue and open up her airway :(   Updates are on her FB and Instagram accounts.  She had a tough pregnancy with much of it spent on bedrest while her husband was deployed.  The older kids pitched in.  At least they paid the oldest son.  I think they have regular insurance due to the husband being military (at least that's my understanding of what he does).  I'd hate to see the mess of trying to pay all these medical bills with scamaritan fake insurance. 

That baby is adorable. And it looks like her surgery went well. Even though it's her tenth it looks like she has maybe 4 teenagers. So at least she has help at home while she is at the hospital. 

1 hour ago, fundiefollower said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Danny and Bethany Lane are having a boy names Caleb per her instagram....not sure why they are breaking tradition with their L names but I do like Caleb.

1 minute ago, teachergirl said:

Danny and Bethany Lane are having a boy names Caleb per her instagram....not sure why they are breaking tradition with their L names but I do like Caleb.

I think this was already mentioned a little way back, but I agree that Caleb is a puzzling choice after the Ls, even though I like it.

On 10/26/2016 at 7:46 PM, Bethella said:

I don't really follow Jocelyn. Maybe @ladyamylynn can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm remembering the story correctly Jocelyn and her family (parents and siblings) went somewhere on a mission that didn't go well. They came back and the parents split up. Jocelyn was staying with a friend and her husband but then Jocelyn and the husband hooked up and baby Gotham appeared. As far as I'm aware they're still not married (ie. she doesn't show up on the fundie marriage list), so its fairly safe to call her a former fundie. 

Yeah they actually moved to Costa Rica because they thought there was going to be WW3 in America. (The whore of Babylon, as I recall them calling the USA.) They were on the forefront of the fake jew movement and Jocelyn had a blog/magazine called Feelin' Feminine.

So I just spent the last 24 hours down the Dixon rabbit hole. 

My god! It's the Jerry Springer episode of the fundie world. If anyone wants to take the plunge, bring some snacks. And you might need a good soapy shower afterwards. I did. 

On 10/29/2016 at 0:20 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So I just spent the last 24 hours down the Dixon rabbit hole. 

My god! It's the Jerry Springer episode of the fundie world. If anyone wants to take the plunge, bring some snacks. And you might need a good soapy shower afterwards. I did. 

They're a bucket full of crazy aren't they? My favorite was the saga of the Love Rod and his "Shakespearean" "poetry."

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived